I'm out the closet... but not

This is the place to discuss and get advice about things like coming out and relationships. Everyone is expected to be courteous here.

I'm out the closet... but not

Unread postby CSP1401 » 12th August, 2018, 11:02 am

Hello,

I live in the uk. I came out to my friends when I was 13 / 14; I'm 17 now. I first came out to my friends at school, which was so liberating and freeing, not having to hide anything. I came out to my parents a week later, but this is where it got more complicated.

I came out over text, and said afterwards that I don't want to talk about it. I wish I had done this differently. With my dad this was fine as he lives in America and we talked about it when he rang me a couple of days later. My mum was in the house when I messaged her though. She came upstairs and tried to talk about it, but I didn't fully accept myself when I came out, so I must've come across as ashamed so she didn't tell anyone. I basically still lived closeted after this. Nothing had changed at home, that partly being my own fault.

A year later I came out a second time. It was coming out day, which I thought was appropriate. I had fully accepted my identity so seemed happier. My mum told close family members, and everything was great. But I feel like I'm still living closeted. We have never talked about it afterwards, and I still feel like I'm keeping it secret.

What should I do? I don't want to suddenly act different and make things weird. What's your advice?
CSP1401

First name: Calum

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Re: I'm out the closet... but not

Unread postby Zephyrus » 12th August, 2018, 2:15 pm

Perhaps you could just talk to your mum. Although coming out was a while ago, just say that talking to her about it would make you feel better because you never did. If not talking to her about it is the problem, this is a simple solution. :keke:

Welcome to GTF, anyway. Be sure to stick around and join the Discord if you haven't already.
Image Image
Zephyrus
Formerly "BucketTech"

First name: Tyler
Likes received: 104

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Re: I'm out the closet... but not

Unread postby PinkUkulele » 16th August, 2018, 2:36 am

Talking about it is without a doubt the best advice anyone could give u. I remember when I came out almost two years ago now, I was completely petrified of telling anyone in my family and I certainly didn't want to talk about it too much because I still didn't really understand it at the time, but all but one of my sisters were very pushy and forced me into talking about it, and I'm honestly thankful that they did.
PinkUkulele

First name: Eli
Likes received: 1

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Recently active