What's the last film you watched?

Feeling happy, sad or excited about something? Seen a great movie? Write about your day in these long-running threads.

Re: What's the last film you watched?

Unread postby CelticSky » 18th December, 2017, 8:16 pm

TheBrunswickian wrote:Glenn Close as Marple...?

You'd think so with that poster but no XD Crooked house is neither a poirot or a marple xP Glenn Close played "aunt Edith" and she was fantastic! dont wanna give away any spoliers though :P

If you're going through hell, keep going.
CelticSky

Likes received: 27

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 19th December, 2017, 8:21 am

wolbre04 wrote:
TheBrunswickian wrote:Murder on the Orient Express

I watched this movie Friday night and it was fantastic!

Daisy Ridley was perfect! Also Kenneth Branagh's directing style has an almost Wes Anderson vibe to it, especially with those top-down shots
House Cup 2016 - Team Westeros
House Cup 2017 - Team Lion King
Year Cup 2017/18 - The Far East

Shittiest Member 2018 - Amadeus

ImageImage
TheBrunswickian
Lazarus

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 598

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier II
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby CRUSTY SEA MILF » 19th December, 2017, 1:22 pm

TheBrunswickian wrote:
wolbre04 wrote:
TheBrunswickian wrote:Murder on the Orient Express

I watched this movie Friday night and it was fantastic!

Daisy Ridley was perfect! Also Kenneth Branagh's directing style has an almost Wes Anderson vibe to it, especially with those top-down shots

Honestly there are not a lot of movies I enjoy going to with my mom, but we honestly loved the movie and the acting was fantastic among all the actors, including Ridley. Hercules was also a good mix of eccentric but also charming and not irritating. I would def agree with the Anderson comparison, in some ways had a similar feel to Grand Budapest Hotel

ImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
CRUSTY SEA MILF wrote:You the right boob to my left, the peanut butter to my jelly, the Donald to my Melania, the Trisha Paytas to my 5 pounds of salami
CRUSTY SEA MILF
Egregious Infundibular

First name: Brennan/wolbre4
Likes received: 422

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
2 / 7

Unread postby daryl17 » 19th December, 2017, 10:09 pm

I haven't seen The Last Jedi. The last one I've watched on theater was Pixar's Coco. :keke:
daryl17

First name: Daryl

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby boiii » 20th December, 2017, 6:10 am

daryl17 wrote:I haven't seen The Last Jedi. The last one I've watched on theater was Pixar's Coco. :keke:

how was it?

ImageImage
boiii
spiderboiiii

First name: Kamiel
Likes received: 251

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby boiii » 20th December, 2017, 12:42 pm

I watched star wars the last jedi

ImageImage
boiii
spiderboiiii

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby KrisCross » 22nd December, 2017, 1:52 pm

boiii wrote:I watched star wars the last jedi

Are you serious? I also just saw it and it's honestly easily the best Star Wars movie since The Empire Strikes Back for me.

I really really don't understand why the movie is so divisive for fans, I initially thought most of the negativity came from hurt fanboys unable to cope with all the risky decisions made in this movie, but I'm actually worried how this is gonna turn out for the franchise now.

Maybe I should make a thread about it because I kinda need to vent about it.
KrisCross
Belgian Daddy

Likes received: 427

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Team: Cheer Team

Unread postby FirePhantom » 22nd December, 2017, 3:55 pm

Trading Places (1983) with René's parents (who'd never seen it before).

It's such a great comedy. There's not one boring moment and not one joke/gag/bit that falls flat. With legends Dan Aykroyd and Eddie Murphy in the titular roles, and a progressive message, and a few glorious tits, it's truly great.
FirePhantom
Valar Dohaeris

First name: Brenden
Likes received: 68

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby boiii » 23rd December, 2017, 3:09 am

KrisCross wrote:Are you serious? I also just saw it and it's honestly easily the best Star Wars movie since The Empire Strikes Back for me.

I really really don't understand why the movie is so divisive for fans, I initially thought most of the negativity came from hurt fanboys unable to cope with all the risky decisions made in this movie, but I'm actually worried how this is gonna turn out for the franchise now.

Maybe I should make a thread about it because I kinda need to vent about it.

I wouldn't call myself a fanboy at all, but maybe my expectations were higher because of the other newer Star Wars films.
It isn't all bad obviously, SE were great and the music was aswell.
I thought that it lacked action and some memorable action scenes, my attention was gone for a long while.
Some twists were predictable, some didn't make sense and most felt cheap and lazy to me. : /

The Rey ban Ben* story was probably the best one, but some scenes between them could've been made more creatively maybe.

I didn't enjoy it at all.

ImageImage
boiii
spiderboiiii

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Anonymous Boy » 23rd December, 2017, 6:27 am

boiii wrote:I thought that it lacked action and some memorable action scenes, my attention was gone for a long while.

Action scenes are where I find it harder to keep paying attention :P

I thought the old Star Wars movies were quite boring while the new ones are quite entertaining, including The Last Jedi. But then, I mainly like them for the funny/cute stuff, like the caretakers on the island and the adorable creatures :3

My favourite thing about the Star Wars franchise is that it led to this:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Currently moving house, so please expect a delay if you message me.
If you need urgent help with something, I recommend getting in touch with a moderator.
Anonymous Boy
Owner/Administrator

First name: René
Likes received: 314

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 23rd December, 2017, 8:21 am

Last Jedi was brilliant. It kept the same vibe of Empire Strikes Back in the general outline of the plot, without being a full on carbon copy like Force Awakens was. It sought to take risks and be different, and I think it did them well. They explored the personalities of the three key heroes more, developing more depth to them. The way it explored the relationship between Kylo and Rey, the way they interact and what they mean to each other - their importance to the galaxy. I think its important the way did this because it shows that they don't represent the balance between light and dark, but rather they each have to find the balance in themselves. I disagree with the complaints about Luke's portrayal,
its a very obvious way for his character to go honestly. In his old age he became cynical and dismissive about the Jedi and what they mean is a logical progression for his character. There were lots of great moments, and lots of powerful and emotional ones. Holdo's decision to do something about the attacks on the transports, rather than to standby and watch, Finn's decision to try and take out the battering ram and sacrifice himself, Rose's decision to stop him. What I will say though, is the death of Snoke was sudden and they kind of left that hanging. If he is so powerful and important,
how did Kylo manage that and how do we still know nothing about him. Also the forced heterosexual subplot between Finn and Rose was gross, Finn is obviously gay for Poe.

ImageImage
TheBrunswickian
Lazarus

:
Tier II
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 23rd December, 2017, 8:23 am

also Laura Dern is always fucking excellent

ImageImage
TheBrunswickian
Lazarus

:
Tier II
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby KrisCross » 23rd December, 2017, 8:38 am

boiii wrote:I wouldn't call myself a fanboy at all, but maybe my expectations were higher because of the other newer Star Wars films.
It isn't all bad obviously, SE were great and the music was aswell.
I thought that it lacked action and some memorable action scenes, my attention was gone for a long while.
Some twists were predictable, some didn't make sense and most felt cheap and lazy to me. : /

The Rey ban Ben* story was probably the best one, but some scenes between them could've been made more creatively maybe.

I didn't enjoy it at all.

Are you sure you didn’t just feel there was a lack of action because the movie was so long? Since there actually were quite a lot of action sequences, some of which I think were incredibly iconic, like the one in Snoke’s throne room or the lightsaber battle between Kylo and Luke, including the twist that he was in fact still meditating on the island. The scene where Holdo crashes into Snoke ship at light speed will be an iconic scene in the franchise for its visuals and the way the movie went completely silent (you could literally hear people in theatre gasp when it happened)

Also, the quality of a plot twist does not lie in it’s shock value, now that would make them cheap. When JJ Abrams set up the new trilogy with TFA, he sprinkled a few mysteries throughout, so the rest of the trilogy could build on that. What I like so much about TLJ is that it could have easily take the expected Star Wars routeand made Snoke a Palpatine 2.0 and Rey a Skywalker, but Rian Johnson decided this trilogy is gonna be its own thing. Instead Kylo Ren went from Snoke’s insecure, troubled servant to a Supreme Leader on his own two feet and the big bad of this trilogy while giving the character some more complexity by showing his penchant for the light and having him bond with Rey, who, in turn, appears to be a nobody after all, which is not only incredibly fitting for the hopeful message of this movie, but also prevents the movie from going down the same route as The Empire Strikes Back.
KrisCross
Belgian Daddy

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby FirePhantom » 23rd December, 2017, 6:37 pm

Just watched Joyeux Noël (2005), a very moving Christmastime war movie, set around the 1914 Christmas truce during World War I. Ought to be a Christmas classic, but I'd never heard about it until a few days ago!
FirePhantom
Valar Dohaeris

First name: Brenden
Likes received: 68

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Hierax » 24th December, 2017, 2:55 pm

FirePhantom wrote:Just watched Joyeux Noël (2005), a very moving Christmastime war movie, set around the 1914 Christmas truce during World War I. Ought to be a Christmas classic, but I'd never heard about it until a few days ago!

Omg I saw that one Friday!!!
ImageImage
Hierax
Flazéda

Likes received: 379

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby boiii » 25th December, 2017, 6:18 am

A couple of issues I had with the film.

Finn and Rose should have died twice. Okay yes, this is a Star Wars movie, but you're not doing a good job if have to rely on people to ignore super obvious things like this. Finn and Rose get captured and are brought to a huge hangar full of storm troopers. They want to execute them. The hangar blows up and when everything seems destroyed, and all the strom troopers are dead and gone only the main characters survive without a scratch.
They also should have died when Finn wants to sacrifice himself by trying to destroy the ram. Somehow the guns of the imperials don't shoot at the only remaining vehicle that's heading their way. Rose "saves" him by ramming her ship into his at full speed. Again, they should have died in that collision, but no. Finn manages to drag Rose's unconscious body for a kilometer back to their base without ever being shot at.
Yes, I know that I am watching a star Wars movie, but things like this make all the tension and all the concentration disappear. Why would I care about two characters if their lives are never actually threatened?
Also when Rose said: "we cannot win this war by fighting what we hate, but by saving what we love." I cringed. Weren't Rose and the rest of the rebels fighting just seconds earlier? should they've tried t run away forever?

I'm not forgetting about Leia either. She literally just magically floats back to the ship. They couldn't even let her die. It was such an emotional moment when she felt Kylo ren, her son, right before other imperials shoot her. I felt insulted when the movie said "euhm no, she's a live, go FUCK yourself"
Will be awkward when she died between this and the next movie for no reason.

And Luke dies aswell ... but why though?
No reason at all. He just dies. If he came to the island so that he wouldn't be found, like he said, and if he came there to die, like he said,
then why didn't he do that earlier? He could have died heroically fighting against Kylo-Ren.

The purple haired lady's death was very predictable. Maybe not all twists have to rely on shock value, but I remember guessing what was going to happen from the moment she decides to stay behind.

I'm still a bit mad actually. It felt like the prequels with the childish slapstick humor, but even the prequels had murder and darker themes. They cannot have any serious moments. It's always interrupted by a silly joke that just murders the tension.
TFA had that ^ The burning of an entire village and the attack of the other cantina. Those things were exciting, and fun to watch. Even marvel movies know how to use humor properly. I enjoy marvel movies and that kind of humor. It just isn't used well.

ImageImage
boiii
spiderboiiii

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 25th December, 2017, 8:15 am

Finn and Rose should have died several times, yes. But this is Star Wars. Key characters should logically die in many situations, but they don't. That's just a regular plot hole of so many films, not just Star Wars ones. The bit where Rose says about saving what they love, its more to feed in to this greater theme of balance. Love vs Hate, Dark vs Light, Sith vs Jedi. It was cringy as fuck, but did serve a broader thematic purpose.

As for Leia floating back into the ship, my immediate reaction was "its her force powers". She's the daughter of Anakin Skywalker, we know she has Jedi powers, Vader said as much and she passed them on to Ben. So I saw that as her subconscious ability to use those powers. It was a bit silly, but I don't think it detracted from the overall narrative.

Luke died because he had exerted an insane amount of energy to save the Resistance. In saving the Resistance and giving them the spark they needed to live on, he extinguished his own spark. There was a nice, if not tragic, symmetry about that. It also indicates the title of the film doesn't it? Rey is the Last Jedi now.

Holdo's death was predictable yes, but the cinematic moment of building up the moment and the suspense and then it happening to the sound of complete silence. It was just a beautiful and brilliant piece of cinema. It wasn't about the twist, it was about the decision of the character to sacrifice herself for the Resistance. The emotional grappling of the character to get to the point where she resolved to do it and give the Resistance the best chance they've got

ImageImage
TheBrunswickian
Lazarus

:
Tier II
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby Wastelandmarcus » 25th December, 2017, 11:19 am

Basically Finn and Rose's whole story doesn't go anywhere. They fail which is fine but there are no consequences for failing. It all becomes a waste of time because neither who they are nor what they do is interesting. They are not sympathetic. All the interesting stuff happens with the Jedi and the Resistance. I think Finn and Rose should have just stayed in the Resistance plot. Do you think the film would have been better if they had died?
Wastelandmarcus

First name: Kyle

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Hierax » 25th December, 2017, 12:55 pm

BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK - discuss this in a new topic thanks x
ImageImage
Hierax
Flazéda

Likes received: 379

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby KrisCross » 26th December, 2017, 6:29 am

Well Jesse already explained most of it, but Rose and Finn didn't magically come out of the crash while all stormtroopers died? Phasma and a whole bunch of others were still there + when Rose saved Finn by crashing into his speeder, I assume she didn't do so at speed that means certain dead. While I enjoyed Rose & Finn's trip to the casino planet, I understand that one would complain about its necessity seeing as the movie is insanely long, but I find it odd that you mention those moments as the ones that took you out of it when there was the whole destroying Canto Bight on a space horse sequence, the deus ex machina that was DJ and BB-8 taking out a bunch of guards and controlling 3 AT-ST walkers. Now those were rather unrealistic, them surviving not so much. I actually thought Rose died after she crashed into Finn and was really disappointed for a moment as that would have been too pointless and cheesy.

For me the emotional heft of the Leia scene came from the fact that she was finally able to use the force, after it was hinted at in previous movies, when her life was in danger. The image of her floating and space and suddenly showing signs of life was shot quite beautifully, although some think the way she pulled herself towards the ship looked silly and I can imagine why you'd feel that way. She played a big role in the rest of the movie, so I'm sure you can see why they couldn't really cut that sequence out without having to reshoot 3/4th of the entire movie. I'm sure they'll handle her death well in the next movie.

Luke literally did die fighting Kylo Ren heroically. He didn't just die because he decided to, but he force-projected himself lightyears away for who knows how long and had an intense lightsaber fight with his cousin. They never showed the force being used to such an extend and him dying from exhaustion afterwards didn't seem like too much of a stretch to me. The plot twist that he was still on the island was pretty epic even though I suspected it and that last shot of him staring at the twin suns when he disappeared poetically mirrors the first movie. Most of all though, I think it's clear now that they want Star Wars to be more that the fuck ups of the Skywalker family, and I'm all for it.

I'm surprised that you talk about the predictability of Holdo's death when her sacrifice resulted in the most cinematically impressive scene in the entire franchise. When the movie went silent I could hear people gasp or say 'wow' and I'm pretty sure every single one of them knew she was going to crash into Snoke's ship long before she did it. Actually I was a bit surprised, as I knew she would crash into them but not that she would do it at light speed.

This movie was the epitome of the 'dark middle part' though, were there even that many jokes? I don't see how the humor outweighed the darkness of this movie when quite literally most of the resistance got killed, including admiral Ackbar (RIP), there was the entire light vs dark struggle of Rey and Kylo Ren (the latter of which ended up killing his own master and becoming supreme leader) we had a bitter, broken Luke hiding a very dark secret for most of the movie, on top of which, he dies at the end. Not to mention that this movie also ripped off the band-aid rather roughly a few times, showing that the rich weapon dealers sponsor both the First Order and the Resistance as well as revealing Rey's parents just traded her away. Long story short, Star Wars barely has anything darker to offer than this movie (except maybe Revenge of the Sith).
KrisCross
Belgian Daddy

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

PreviousNext

Recently active