Book of the Moment

Feeling happy, sad or excited about something? Seen a great movie? Write about your day in these long-running threads.

Re: Book of the Moment

Unread postby JonathanT88 » 12th January, 2017, 1:41 pm

Sturgeon wrote:
JonathanT88 wrote:Eric Hobsbawm's "The Age of Revolution."

10/10 Marxist historiography. Would recommend for anyone who wants a history of bourgeois oppression and the plight of the working class from 1789-1848.

I read Hobsbawm's 'The Age of Empire' for my history coursework. Loved it because his reasoning for the introduction of the social welfare as simply being to undermine the labour movement is very easy to criticise.

He's one of the few (well only) Marxist historians who managed to basically unite the historical community in admiration for his writing, which is nice. He has such a lovely turn of phrase, it's hard not to love him.

But yeah, Marxist historiography is super easy to criticise but I always find elements of truth in it.
Gudrun wrote:

"How many times have I told you? Homosexuality is only to be used for revolutionary purposes!"

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImage
JonathanT88
Horny Jonathan of the Homosexual Intifada

First name: Jonathan (duh.)
Likes received: 786

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 12th January, 2017, 7:05 pm

Rather Be The Devil by Ian Rankin. Really good Scottish crime fiction. Highly recommend
House Cup 2016 - Team Westeros
House Cup 2017 - Team Lion King
Year Cup 2017/18 - The Far East

Shittiest Member 2018 - Amadeus

ImageImage
TheBrunswickian
Lazarus

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 598

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
3 / 7

Unread postby Mawd » 12th January, 2017, 8:55 pm

Rebooting the Regions: Why low or zero growth needn't mean the end of prosperity.

Edited by Paul Spoonley.

Here's a short teaser interview and a companion article by NZ immigration for anyone interested.

Kinda figured it might be up your alley Bruns.
-----------

I'm also still reading semi-trashy W40k Horus Heresy novels. Up to Vulkan Lives by Nick Kyme.
Mawd
Appearing to Disappear; Community Ambassador

First name: Max
Likes received: 114

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Anonymous Boy » 28th July, 2017, 8:47 am

Frank Herbert's Dune Messiah

I'm actually listening to the audiobook. I've found there are lots of times when I'm not in a position to physically read a book/ebook while I can easily listen to an audiobook, so I get a lot more reading done now, if it can be called that. :awesome:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Currently caring for my very ill father, so please expect a delay if you message me.
If you need urgent help with something, I recommend getting in touch with a moderator.
Anonymous Boy
Owner/Administrator

First name: René
Likes received: 314

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Lazuli » 13th April, 2018, 10:33 am

mangoes wrote:
Lazuli wrote:I'm almost finished with 1Q84 but at the same time I don't want to finish it. I just wanna keep reading it for as long as I can.

It started really well but by the middle of the second book I had to stop because the aliens and shit wasn't even creative, it was weird and boring. If it gets better, let me know because I did enjoy the first bit of the book.

Haha I just finished reading this book. Not a slow reader, just read other books instead. I finished it when I was in Japan so it kinda made it feel a bit more special.

It did get better. I actually really liked the mystical stuff the most about it. Murakami has always been known as a surrealist and has often been described as Kafkaesque. You kinda should expect it before you even start reading some of his work.

Anyway, I think it really played well with the story here. It tied in very well with the book and what was happening in the 1Q84 world. I found Tengo's story a lot more engaging whereas Aomame's felt a little stagnant in the middle. But it all comes together by the third book.

I really hope you kept at it. You probably finished it before I did haha.
ImageImage
Lazuli
GTF Behind Inspector

First name: Aldrin

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Woollyhoolly » 13th April, 2018, 6:02 pm

Lazuli wrote:
mangoes wrote:
Lazuli wrote:I'm almost finished with 1Q84 but at the same time I don't want to finish it. I just wanna keep reading it for as long as I can.

It started really well but by the middle of the second book I had to stop because the aliens and shit wasn't even creative, it was weird and boring. If it gets better, let me know because I did enjoy the first bit of the book.

Haha I just finished reading this book. Not a slow reader, just read other books instead. I finished it when I was in Japan so it kinda made it feel a bit more special.

It did get better. I actually really liked the mystical stuff the most about it. Murakami has always been known as a surrealist and has often been described as Kafkaesque. You kinda should expect it before you even start reading some of his work.

Anyway, I think it really played well with the story here. It tied in very well with the book and what was happening in the 1Q84 world. I found Tengo's story a lot more engaging whereas Aomame's felt a little stagnant in the middle. But it all comes together by the third book.

i read a quarter of this book like 3 years ago, but the book kept dissapointing me. Every chapter, there's a general rising of suspense, and then when the chapter ends, the suspense-o-meter just gets reset to 0 without a good enough climax, which's also the main reason i stopped reading it. Is it reaaally worht it to push through?
Made you look

Trudeau's my daddy
Woollyhoolly
Classy

First name: Tim
Likes received: 160

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
2 / 7

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 14th April, 2018, 12:16 am

The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair. I've read too much literary fiction that I can clock a motif a mile off and know exactly how I would analyse it if it were a prescribed text for school. And god the characters in the 1975 flashbacks are so fucking irritating - she's a brat and he's easily manipulated.

ImageImage
TheBrunswickian
Lazarus

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
3 / 7

Unread postby Petre » 14th April, 2018, 10:51 pm

"The Count of Monte Cristo," By Alexandre Dumas. It's a classic, it's a good book, it's honestly one of my favorites. I only read the abridged version (I didn't have time for the full one, nor did I have a copy of it), but I plan on reading the full thing one day. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys classics and fiction.
Henry Clay compromised the being of the United States.
"The most towny, the most helpful, the best cooperative scum" (Kaspar, Mafia XXXIII): Image
Petre
Mafia A Rank

First name: Peter
Likes received: 163

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Team: Nerd Herd

Mafia A Rank

Unread postby KrisCross » 15th April, 2018, 6:24 am

I recently read Annihilation, by Jeff Vandermeer. It's really great book, surreal and twisted in the best way possible. It's the first part of a trilogy, so I hope the other 2 books can keep up the quality.

I also saw the recently released film based in the book and while it's a great movie, it's a completely different story, just with vaguely similar characters and the same setting. I prefer the book, because it's less action-based and there is way more to it. Especially in terms of mystery and interesting concepts, the book is miles ahead of the movie, perhaps because the latter is a self contained story that already provides a lot of answers.

That said, the movie does have one of the most intense and disturbing scenes I've seen in recent years, I can definitely recommend both!
KrisCross
Belgian Daddy

Likes received: 430

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Team: Cheer Team

Unread postby Lazuli » 19th April, 2018, 12:05 pm

Woollyhoolly wrote:
Lazuli wrote:
mangoes wrote:

i read a quarter of this book like 3 years ago, but the book kept dissapointing me. Every chapter, there's a general rising of suspense, and then when the chapter ends, the suspense-o-meter just gets reset to 0 without a good enough climax, which's also the main reason i stopped reading it. Is it reaaally worht it to push through?

I believe so. I think that's part of the reason why I prolonged this book. I wasn't as engaged as I was with some of his other work. But I think by the middle of book 2 I was really rooting for both Aomame and Tengo and I think that's what kept me going.
ImageImage
Lazuli
GTF Behind Inspector

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Lazuli » 19th April, 2018, 12:10 pm

KrisCross wrote:I recently read Annihilation, by Jeff Vandermeer. It's really great book, surreal and twisted in the best way possible. It's the first part of a trilogy, so I hope the other 2 books can keep up the quality.

I also saw the recently released film based in the book and while it's a great movie, it's a completely different story, just with vaguely similar characters and the same setting. I prefer the book, because it's less action-based and there is way more to it. Especially in terms of mystery and interesting concepts, the book is miles ahead of the movie, perhaps because the latter is a self contained story that already provides a lot of answers.

That said, the movie does have one of the most intense and disturbing scenes I've seen in recent years, I can definitely recommend both!

I just saw the movie and I was so fascinated. Such a pretty and thought-provoking film. Now, usually I don't like reading a book after I've seen the movie it's based on but I feel somewhat convinced to read it now because of this post. There were a lot of themes that were very well executed in the film and I'm curious if it's even more prominent in the books.
ImageImage
Lazuli
GTF Behind Inspector

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby KrisCross » 22nd April, 2018, 7:01 am

Lazuli wrote:I just saw the movie and I was so fascinated. Such a pretty and thought-provoking film. Now, usually I don't like reading a book after I've seen the movie it's based on but I feel somewhat convinced to read it now because of this post. There were a lot of themes that were very well executed in the film and I'm curious if it's even more prominent in the books.

The movie and book are different enough for them to not undermine each other's experience. The book doesn't answer the question of what's going on in Area X, so the extraterrestrial themes are completely absent, but there's a much bigger focus on the psychological aspects. The messed up biology of the area is built up way more subtly and slowly in the book, but it adds a layer of tension and creepiness, imo. If you enjoyed the film, I think you would definitely enjoy the book.
KrisCross
Belgian Daddy

Likes received: 430

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Team: Cheer Team

Unread postby Petre » 27th May, 2018, 10:53 pm

Her Fearful Symmetry is an amazing book. It's a contemporary horror novel (or, it's supposed to be horror, that's up for debate) that looks at the lives of two twins who receive an apartment in England from an aunt they never knew existed. Of course there's more to the novel, but I'm not here to spoil it, I'm just here to recommend giving it a shot.
Henry Clay compromised the being of the United States.
"The most towny, the most helpful, the best cooperative scum" (Kaspar, Mafia XXXIII): Image
Petre
Mafia A Rank

First name: Peter
Likes received: 163

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Team: Nerd Herd

Mafia A Rank

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 27th May, 2018, 11:34 pm

I'm reading "The Mulberry Empire" by Phillip Hensher and I have very mixed feelings. Sections of dialogue between Burnes and Bella Garraway are setting up a really interesting plot that I am curious to see play out, but the rest of the book - especially the loooong and dull portions of exposition are killing me. I passed my threshold of finishing it (if I can reach page 150 without wanting to burn the book I should see it through).

ImageImage
TheBrunswickian
Lazarus

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
3 / 7

Unread postby Anonymous Boy » 28th May, 2018, 8:16 pm

Just started Frank Herbert's God Emperor of Dune (4th book in the Dune series).
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Currently caring for my very ill father, so please expect a delay if you message me.
If you need urgent help with something, I recommend getting in touch with a moderator.
Anonymous Boy
Owner/Administrator

First name: René
Likes received: 314

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Estaphel » 1st June, 2018, 6:53 pm

rereading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire bc i'm a potterhead
I want some tea.
Estaphel
Pelican Town Resident

First name: Ben
Likes received: 10

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Previous

Recently active