Activity level tag and discord colours

Off-topic posts go in here; this forum is only loosely moderated.

Activity level tag and discord colours

Unread postby Woollyhoolly » 28th May, 2018, 10:55 am

Hey.
Rene made a post in another thread regarding forum stimulation, but just for clarity(and for the sake that everyone knows what it is), I reckoned it be best to make a seperate thread for this :)

Anonymous Boy wrote:
Corrdorr wrote:
Anonymous Boy wrote:Just wanted to quickly mention that I think the people on all sides of the Discord issue (including Ethan, Marshall, Jack, Kacper and Temi) make some very valuable points. There's a bit more mutual attacking going on between these groups than I'd like to see, but I appreciate the many constructive comments and am actively considering them to reach an opinion on the best way forward.

Woollyhoolly wrote:Also, we've spoken about an activity badge on the forum and or on discord, but this talk got buried in modchat. @Rene, could you please look into this? Read back in modchat for the specifics if you don't remember, or shoot me a msg :). Lets get this implemented.

Will do :)

I don't know, Ethan was on the money with his suggestion of completely omitting coloured names in the discord for a tier system where x amount of posts in the forum gives you y colours to your name. Everyone loves their colours in the discord, so I imagine it would be a handy tool to promoting activity in the forum. Why not put this activity badge on hold and trial this out? It's a lot simpler to keep track of imo.

I like Ethan's idea, and there is actually a lot of overlap with the activity-badge idea. The obvious first step is actually the same for both (implementing the logic to access the forum's database, fetch the necessary data and determine who's in which tier), and the easiest way to do that is in the forum's code.

So I've done that. The forum side of this is now complete.
Have a look to the left of posts or in someone's profile.
You can hover over the label for a quick explanation of what this is all about.

For now, I've set up the tiers with the following requirements:

• Forum Activity Tier I - at least registered an account
  • Forum Activity Tier II - average at least 0.5 posts per day in the last 14 days
  • Forum Activity Tier III - average at least 1 post per day in the last 14 days
  • Forum Activity Tier IV - average at least 2 posts per day in the last 14 days
  • Forum Activity Tier V - average at least 4 posts per day in the last 14 days
  • ...and so on.
As you can see, it will get steadily harder to reach higher tiers, so it should be easy for anyone to rise a few tiers while no one will end up with a crazy high tier number.

The threshold for getting a custom nickname colour on Discord has been preliminarily set at Tier IV.
2 posts per day should be easily doable.

(All this is of course subject to review based on how things actually work out. As you said Corrdorr, this is a trial.)
(Also, the badge part of the activity-badge idea will be handled at a later time as the badges will have to be designed by someone and will have to look good, but this was deemed a lower priority than getting the basic system in place and ready to be propagated to Discord.)

The Discord side will be set up and announced in the coming days. However, the new restriction on custom name colours will not be enforced until 7 days have passed. We'd like to give Discord-goers a chance to actually start posting more on the forum and avoid losing the custom colours they've already got.

Thanks for the idea, Ethan! :keke:

And Temi, thanks for your helpful input while setting this up and making sure everything stays on track!

I would like to add to this that posts made in the gaming subforum do not count for the activity tag, as that would give mafia players an unfair advantage. Also, we are still in the process of coming up with perks for all the other activity level tiers! If youve got any suggestions, feel free to hit any of us up. :)

The 7-day cooldown period starts now, and ends june 4th. From then onwards, everyone that hasnt reached tier 4 will have their colour tag taken away.
Made you look

Trudeau's my daddy
Woollyhoolly
Classy

First name: Tim
Likes received: 160

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
2 / 7

Re: Activity level tag and discord colours

Unread postby CRUSTY SEA MILF » 28th May, 2018, 11:10 am

Hopefully this is incentive to participate in the forum - and doesn't just encourage spamming of threads for the sake of getting a color

ImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
CRUSTY SEA MILF wrote:You the right boob to my left, the peanut butter to my jelly, the Donald to my Melania, the Trisha Paytas to my 5 pounds of salami
CRUSTY SEA MILF
Egregious Infundibular

First name: Brennan/wolbre4
Likes received: 422

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Estaphel » 28th May, 2018, 11:54 am

coolio
I want some tea.
Estaphel
Pelican Town Resident

First name: Ben
Likes received: 10

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

For post #This post was deleted by Woollyhoolly on 28th May, 2018, 12:19 pm.
Reason: double post

Unread postby Dolly » 28th May, 2018, 12:26 pm

better than nothin i guess
Dolly
hotty & country singer

Likes received: 855

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby Dua Lipa » 28th May, 2018, 12:46 pm

Higher tier/post count to achieve colour and have one uniform colour for everyone who reaches that tier. Colours on GTF in both chat and the forum in the past have been reserved for people in roles of authority/special events such as House Cup, right now mods/retired mods can just blend in especially since people can choose colours very similar to that of them. It will also help you regain some some sense of perceived authority that you so lack these days =P.

In regards to the Discord in particular during the House Cup I think it needs to be bare-boned, have a main chat, each team chat and threads and announcements. This is for two reasons 1 being that huge part of the House Cup is encouraging and rewarding forum activity through giving points for making threads and posts. I think it will help revive subs like self-pics if these newbies are already starting to use the forum bc of the HC and they aren't able to post a pic on the Discord they might be encouraged to use that sub. Number two being that any new member who joins the Discord externally will immediately be immersed in the House Cup and will hopefully be curious enough to go ahead and make a forum account to join in on the fun.

This all however, does rely on the House Cup being somewhat successful which I think would be a lot more likely if you involved or at least consulted past hosts! A couple of nights ago we established Temi and Jesse had no clue what was happening with the HC (not their fault) because of poor communication within the mod team and a group of us who have been involved in past HC's offered to assist, you still haven't made that channel guys! cmon its really not hard it almost seems like you don't care.
Twink enthusiast

ImageImage

ImageImage
Dua Lipa
Actually Heterosexual

First name: Ethan
Likes received: 848

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
4 / 7

Unread postby KevCon » 28th May, 2018, 1:02 pm

Well congratulations - you motivated me to use the forum for once.

I must say that the administration has managed to reach a whole new level that I did not expect. As one of a liberal mind and soul, I feel how the Holy Spirit urges me to speak out against totalitarian measures such as many before me, who were born as much braver and bolder individuals than myself, have had to do when they experienced it.

While I consider the forum to be almost completely useless, and not something worth spending time on in general, I do recognize that many in the community hold it very close to their hearts, and believe it to be essential. I respect that opinion and their right to use the forum as much as they like. It is only nice when we have more activity across the board. My own boyfriend is one such person who contributes a great deal of his time to the forum, and so I have no reason whatsoever to attempt to damage it.

So, since I who only use the Discord from time to time and nothing else, do not attempt to persecute forum users, or force them to put the Discord first and chat there for a certain amount of time each day, and since I have never heard of any other Discord users who have done so, I fail to understand why we must be victims of such persecution by those who adore the forum.

Why do we have to waste part of our day on a website that we have no interest in, just so that we can fully enjoy our experience on the Discord, where we chat with our friends? Why is the platform that we prefer seen as somehow inferior to the forum? I am aware that it may have started as such, but there would hardly be a need for such harsh measures to save the forum if it was still the case today.

I doubt that many of us who only use the Discord truly care about what color our name appears in. The nature of the features that we may or may not have access to is not the problem. The problem is that the administration is becoming a dystopian kind of regime. A regime in which those users who act according to the arbitary desires of the regime may receive symbolic rewards to set them apart from we scum who dare follow our own passions and desires. A divisive community with second-rate citizens.

I strongly urge the staff to discard these ridiciulous measures and pursue a strategy of motivating people in positive ways. A strategy that will allow the community to develop in such a way as all its users desire. Not according to how a well-organized interest group within the community wishes it. Let forum users enjoy all that is lovely about the forum, and let us who want more fast-paced communication have that in peace. Do not punish Discord users because they have found a way to fit within the community. Embrace us. We are not evil people who are trying to undermine the very core of the community. We want it to prosper just as much as everyone else.
KevCon

First name: Kevin
Likes received: 9

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Woollyhoolly » 28th May, 2018, 1:11 pm

I mean you can but just without a colour.
Made you look

Trudeau's my daddy
Woollyhoolly
Classy

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
2 / 7

Unread postby KevCon » 28th May, 2018, 1:14 pm

I did mention that the color itself is not what is important. It is the toxic attitude towards those who only use the Discord. The crusade to promote use of the forum at all cost. An adoration of quantity instead of quality. Anything for a nice graph that staff can show people to prove that forum activity is going up.
KevCon

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Lochlan » 28th May, 2018, 1:16 pm

Woollyhoolly wrote:I mean you can but just without a colour.

This really doesn't stop anyone from enjoying the discord. You just wouldn't have a colour. It's an incentive for those who use both the forum and the discord to post a couple times a day on the forum, since I know that I myself forget sometimes. If I came onto the discord and my colour privileges had been revoked, I'd probably go and check the forum, do my daily posting, and get it back. It's arbitrary, but any incentive for posting at this stage is good IMO.
Last edited by Lochlan on 28th May, 2018, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I can't spell
Lochlan
BOT Hunter

First name: Lochlan
Likes received: 294

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
3 / 7

Team: Nerd Herd

Unread postby Woollyhoolly » 28th May, 2018, 1:21 pm

I don’t think this is a toxic crusade to promote the forum at any cost. Most people that use the discord aren’t spending alot of time on the forum, and what we’ve merely done now is added a perk if you are active on the forum. Iirc everyone had a gray name in discord till about february, so i really don’t see how reverting to that is that bad. And if you do want to keep your colour, you can just post on the forum.

And a toxic attitude to people who only use the discord? Until recently i myself spent the majority of my time on gtf in discord, and not on the forum. Most of our userbase is in discord right now, and the majority of them do still check out the forum from time to time. Whats wrong with asking them to leave a message here when they visit? We aren’t treating discord people as 2nd rate citizens... we’re just trying to promote the forum
Made you look

Trudeau's my daddy
Woollyhoolly
Classy

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
2 / 7

Unread postby CRUSTY SEA MILF » 28th May, 2018, 1:22 pm

Lochlan wrote:

This really doesn't stop anyone from enjoying the discord. You just wouldn't have a colour. It's an incentive for those who use both the forum and the discord to post a couple times a day on the forum, since I know that I myself forget sometimes. If I came onto the discord and my colour privileges had been revoked, I'd probably go and check the forum, do my daily posting, and get it back. It's arbitrary, but any incentive for posting at this stage is good IMO.

my concern is also that forum use becomes a chore with this and not for personal enjoyment

ImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
CRUSTY SEA MILF wrote:You the right boob to my left, the peanut butter to my jelly, the Donald to my Melania, the Trisha Paytas to my 5 pounds of salami
CRUSTY SEA MILF
Egregious Infundibular

First name: Brennan/wolbre4
Likes received: 422

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby KevCon » 28th May, 2018, 1:27 pm

Lochlan wrote:

As I said, it is not about the colors. I realize that some forum users may need a reminder to go onto the forum and have their daily fun. I understand the whole tier stuff on the forum. My point is that why do we who only use the Discord have to be dragged into this? Why can we not go on as we have in the past - in a way that we consider completely fine, simply because of something related to a forum we don't use?

It is fine for the forum to have all its fun, but don't drag the rest of us into it, please.
KevCon

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby KrisCross » 28th May, 2018, 1:27 pm

KevCon wrote:Well congratulations - you motivated me to use the forum for once.

I must say that the administration has managed to reach a whole new level that I did not expect. As one of a liberal mind and soul, I feel how the Holy Spirit urges me to speak out against totalitarian measures such as many before me, who were born as much braver and bolder individuals than myself, have had to do when they experienced it.

While I consider the forum to be almost completely useless, and not something worth spending time on in general, I do recognize that many in the community hold it very close to their hearts, and believe it to be essential. I respect that opinion and their right to use the forum as much as they like. It is only nice when we have more activity across the board. My own boyfriend is one such person who contributes a great deal of his time to the forum, and so I have no reason whatsoever to attempt to damage it.

So, since I who only use the Discord from time to time and nothing else, do not attempt to persecute forum users, or force them to put the Discord first and chat there for a certain amount of time each day, and since I have never heard of any other Discord users who have done so, I fail to understand why we must be victims of such persecution by those who adore the forum.

Why do we have to waste part of our day on a website that we have no interest in, just so that we can fully enjoy our experience on the Discord, where we chat with our friends? Why is the platform that we prefer seen as somehow inferior to the forum? I am aware that it may have started as such, but there would hardly be a need for such harsh measures to save the forum if it was still the case today.

I doubt that many of us who only use the Discord truly care about what color our name appears in. The nature of the features that we may or may not have access to is not the problem. The problem is that the administration is becoming a dystopian kind of regime. A regime in which those users who act according to the arbitary desires of the regime may receive symbolic rewards to set them apart from we scum who dare follow our own passions and desires. A divisive community with second-rate citizens.

I strongly urge the staff to discard these ridiciulous measures and pursue a strategy of motivating people in positive ways. A strategy that will allow the community to develop in such a way as all its users desire. Not according to how a well-organized interest group within the community wishes it. Let forum users enjoy all that is lovely about the forum, and let us who want more fast-paced communication have that in peace. Do not punish Discord users because they have found a way to fit within the community. Embrace us. We are not evil people who are trying to undermine the very core of the community. We want it to prosper just as much as everyone else.

KevCon wrote:I did mention that the color itself is not what is important. It is the toxic attitude towards those who only use the Discord. The crusade to promote use of the forum at all cost. An adoration of quantity instead of quality. Anything for a nice graph that staff can show people to prove that forum activity is going up.

:err:

At this point, we're all aware that Discord has become GTF's main platform and should be treated as such. By no means is staff is somehow anti-discord or holds elitist believes towards those who only use the Discord. This is merely a fun way to integrate both platforms with each other, something which has been severely lacking so far. It's just a small fun change that only affects the color of your name on discord, hardly anything 'toxic' about it.

That said; holy shit you're dramatic.
KrisCross
Belgian Daddy

Likes received: 430

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Team: Cheer Team

Unread postby Dua Lipa » 28th May, 2018, 1:28 pm

KevCon wrote:Well congratulations - you motivated me to use the forum for once.

You address the forum and discord as if they are two separate things, whilst unfortunately this is the appearance it gives they simply aren't separate, GTF Discord is the chat for the GTF Website.. The fact that you are distinguishing forum users and discord users only further proves the issue we are trying to solve, there should only be one type of user: a GTFer. Merely a year ago you had to have a forum account to access GTF chat and a year before that you had to have 50 posts on the forum to access chat. Being a chat for the forum and not a separate entity the admins reserve the right to reward those who use their site with benefits on the chat for the site. The key part being rewarding one group and not 'persecuting' another, persecution and punishment would imply you have a right to things such as colour when simply you don't.
Twink enthusiast

ImageImage

ImageImage
Dua Lipa
Actually Heterosexual

First name: Ethan
Likes received: 848

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
4 / 7

Unread postby KrisCross » 28th May, 2018, 1:34 pm

How do you claim it's not actually about the colors, but then complain how you're 'dragged' into it or that it will become a chore, as if you're forced to be active on the forum now? :fml: Just keep on not posting if you don't want to, you're not being forced. If the colors are not important to you, this update doesn't really concern you, does it?
KrisCross
Belgian Daddy

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Zephyrus » 28th May, 2018, 1:50 pm

I don't want to go back to a boring colour. I have been convinced.
Image Image
Zephyrus
Formerly "BucketTech"

First name: Tyler
Likes received: 104

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
2 / 7

Team: Nerd Herd

Unread postby KevCon » 28th May, 2018, 1:55 pm

Woollyhoolly wrote:I don’t think this is a toxic crusade to promote the forum at any cost. Most people that use the discord aren’t spending alot of time on the forum, and what we’ve merely done now is added a perk if you are active on the forum. Iirc everyone had a gray name in discord till about february, so i really don’t see how reverting to that is that bad. And if you do want to keep your colour, you can just post on the forum.

And a toxic attitude to people who only use the discord? Until recently i myself spent the majority of my time on gtf in discord, and not on the forum. Most of our userbase is in discord right now, and the majority of them do still check out the forum from time to time. Whats wrong with asking them to leave a message here when they visit? We aren’t treating discord people as 2nd rate citizens... we’re just trying to promote the forum

Well you are replying to my criticism with the point that I am criticizing. Why make something related to Discord dependent on how you act on the forum? The two are very different platforms. I cannot see why we should have standard features revoked because we do not enjoy forum activities. You can give yourselves all the privileges and fancy stuff you want on your forum profiles, no harm done. I just cannot see why the rest of us should be dragged into it. The forum has nothing to do with us to be frank. I only ask for us to be left alone, and not have features on Discord revoked because of your desire to be on the forum.
KevCon

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby KrisCross » 28th May, 2018, 2:03 pm

KevCon wrote:The forum has nothing to do with us to be frank. I only ask for us to be left alone, and not have features on Discord revoked because of your desire to be on the forum.

You're on GTF. GTF has a forum and a chat, you probably were aware of that when you signed up. We're one community in which some people stick to the forum, some to the chat, and everything in between that. Don't come here declaring yourself the spokesperson of whatever separatist hill tribe you imagine Discord-only members to be, asking for a declaration of independence. :err:
KrisCross
Belgian Daddy

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby KevCon » 28th May, 2018, 2:07 pm

KrisCross wrote:How do you claim it's not actually about the colors, but then complain how you're 'dragged' into it or that it will become a chore, as if you're forced to be active on the forum now? :fml: Just keep on not posting if you don't want to, you're not being forced. If the colors are not important to you, this update doesn't really concern you, does it?

As I have said, it is not about the colors. I will continue to use Discord no matter what. The problem is that forum users are bringing their lacking activity problems onto the Discord. Those who don't spend much time on the forum probably act as they do for good reason. Because the forum is boring for some people. I cannot see why that is such a huge problem. There is no reason to change our status because of something that only a part of the community considers a problem.
KevCon

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Next

Recently active