What are you studying at University?

Off-topic posts go in here; this forum is only loosely moderated.

Have you chosen a major/course?

Yes, and I have finished the course.
5%
Yes, and I am currently doing the course.
45%
Yes, I am planning on a course.
36%
No, I have not decided yet.
5%
No, I am not / have not done a course.
9%

Total votes : 22

What are you studying at University?

Unread postby Lochlan » 21st April, 2018, 5:46 pm

University (College for some of y'all) is a large portion of education for many which helps them attain the credentials needed for their desired careers. I thought it might be interesting to discuss what you are planning on doing, doing currently or have done at university level, or if you aren't doing it at all. I'd like to see what each user wants to study and why essentially :english:

I myself am planning on studying either biochemistry or microbiology, since I'd like to go into a lab based career, likely something to do with pharmaceuticals/vaccines. It seems like something I could do to help others when it comes to things like disease. It might not be the most significant help, but every part counts imo.

So, what about y'all?
Lochlan
BOT Hunter

First name: Lochlan
Likes received: 294

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
3 / 7

Team: Nerd Herd

Re: What are you studying at University?

Unread postby Estaphel » 21st April, 2018, 5:48 pm

I'm hoping to do either regular biology or Molecular and Cellular biology at Newcastle for mine! :D
I want some tea.
Estaphel
Pelican Town Resident

First name: Ben
Likes received: 10

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Adyuto » 21st April, 2018, 6:08 pm

I'm eager to study math. I've been enamored by it ever since sophomore year. The reason why I want to study it is because it's very logic-based and used in a lot of fields. So far I've taken college-level courses up to Calculus 2 with some introductory computer science, so we'll see if I maintain that level of enthusiasm for the subject in university. I ideally would want to go on to become a research mathematician or math instructor working with disadvantaged students - maybe even at an HBCU - and try to increase the amount of disadvantaged youth in math. Again, we'll see if I change my mind later on and choose to become a lounge club dancer.
Adyuto
Mafia A Rank

Likes received: 56

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Team: Cheer Team

Mafia A Rank

Unread postby CRUSTY SEA MILF » 21st April, 2018, 6:22 pm

Eventually diplomacy or criminology if I can

ImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
CRUSTY SEA MILF wrote:You the right boob to my left, the peanut butter to my jelly, the Donald to my Melania, the Trisha Paytas to my 5 pounds of salami
CRUSTY SEA MILF
Egregious Infundibular

First name: Brennan/wolbre4
Likes received: 422

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
3 / 7

Unread postby Kaspar » 21st April, 2018, 6:34 pm

@Karl Maths is great as it's useful literally everywhere, even after studying maths for years, you can change your mind regarding the course you want to take last minute and it will still apply :D
Proudly, the Captain of team Spirited Away
House Cup 2017

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar
Lochlan's cat enthusiast

First name: Kacper
Likes received: 703

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby Woollyhoolly » 21st April, 2018, 6:52 pm

I'm gonna study medical biosciences at Monash in Kuala Lumpur, and just like loch i wanna do some lab related stuffs later!
Made you look

Trudeau's my daddy
Woollyhoolly
Classy

First name: Tim
Likes received: 160

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
2 / 7

Unread postby Dolly » 21st April, 2018, 7:27 pm

currently majoring in public health and i plan to go to graduate school afterward to study infectious disease or epidemiology (the study of tracking diseases)
Dolly
hotty & country singer

Likes received: 855

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby Tim. » 21st April, 2018, 11:27 pm

Currently studying a Bachelor of Aviation, and a simultaneous Graduate Certificate of Aviation (Piloting). It’s busy as hell and it’s not uncommon for me to have classes scheduled 6 days a week plus homework/study.

Previously I’ve completed a Bachelor of Commerce with a marketing major. It was ok, but not what o want to do as a career. Looking back it was nice though as I only had like 12 hours of class a week.
Tim.
The Southern Ex-Moderator

Likes received: 202

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby Calcifer » 21st April, 2018, 11:32 pm

Currently studying Information Security, a strand of Computer Science. Basically it's the 'hacking' degree, where they teach you all sorts of things to do with cybersecurity, malware, forensics, all that good stuff.

Previously I was studying Physics. Don't study Physics unless you're either mad, or are madly in love with the subject.
ImageImageImage
Calcifer
Some Hypersexual Puppy Cat Thing

First name: Calum
Likes received: 126

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
2 / 7

Unread postby Adyuto » 21st April, 2018, 11:34 pm

Calcifer wrote:Currently studying Information Security, a strand of Computer Science. Basically it's the 'hacking' degree, where they teach you all sorts of things to do with cybersecurity, malware, forensics, all that good stuff.

Previously I was studying Physics. Don't study Physics unless you're either mad, or are madly in love with the subject.

Took one semester of physics, I can confirm the latter statement.
Adyuto
Mafia A Rank

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Mafia A Rank

Unread postby Hierax » 22nd April, 2018, 7:09 am

I'm planning on studying biochemistry and biotechnology at the university of Ghent. I've been a sucker for bio since I was 14 and last year I discovered my love for biochemistry specifically.
It is a very contemporary course, since scientists don't really know a whole lot about it at the moment and they discover new things every year which piques my interest even more and makes me eager to (maybe) discover some new things.
ImageImage
Hierax
Flazéda

Likes received: 380

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby GerryMarpe » 24th April, 2018, 8:49 am

I feel like everyone is planning on studying a science-related major/course so I feel almost out of place lol jk jk but I'm on my third year of studying law.
So cool to see so much people with clear ideas on what they want to do hahaha the week before I had to fill in all registration papers I was between journalism, psychology, history, arts or law lol
GerryMarpe

Likes received: 1

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Circles » 24th April, 2018, 10:09 am

I'm planning on studying plant and microbial biology. I think I'll likely major in that, and minor in German. But, I'm still very flexible with my goals. I think ultimately I want to be a botanist or a librarian. And either way, I'll speak German. We'll see how it goes.
ImageImageImageImageoooo
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Circles
Twinkerbell

First name: Marshall
Likes received: 90

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Team: Odd Squad

Unread postby Adyuto » 24th April, 2018, 6:18 pm

Circles wrote:I'm planning on studying plant and microbial biology. I think I'll likely major in that, and minor in German. But, I'm still very flexible with my goals. I think ultimately I want to be a botanist or a librarian. And either way, I'll speak German. We'll see how it goes.

Honestly, if you do that study plant and microbial biology and speak German, the only thing separating you from Mendel is that he was a priest.
Adyuto
Mafia A Rank

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Mafia A Rank

Unread postby Adyuto » 24th April, 2018, 6:20 pm

GerryMarpe wrote:I feel like everyone is planning on studying a science-related major/course so I feel almost out of place lol jk jk but I'm on my third year of studying law.
So cool to see so much people with clear ideas on what they want to do hahaha the week before I had to fill in all registration papers I was between journalism, psychology, history, arts or law lol

I don't think a majority of us are science-inclined. It just that, for whatever reason, the social science and humanities fans aren't vocal in this thread. They exist, but I don't know why they aren't here.
Adyuto
Mafia A Rank

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Mafia A Rank

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 24th April, 2018, 9:07 pm

I'm doing International Relations and have somehow ended up Minoring in Asian Studies and Latin American Studies. I didn't plan on that happening, its just the way I've taken my subjects
House Cup 2016 - Team Westeros
House Cup 2017 - Team Lion King
Year Cup 2017/18 - The Far East

Shittiest Member 2018 - Amadeus

ImageImage
TheBrunswickian
Lazarus

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 598

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
3 / 7

Unread postby Bonand » 25th April, 2018, 11:45 am

studying a Bachelor of Literature, however sometimes I think it's a mistake, but I'm not really sure it is :keke:
“Real education must ultimately be limited to men who insist on knowing. The rest is mere sheep herding.” ― Ezra Pound
you don't have the inspirations to write the term paper just like me? I've found https://essayshark.com/ that helps me on hard times
Bonand

First name: Bonand

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Hierax » 25th April, 2018, 12:43 pm

Bonand wrote:studying a Bachelor of Literature, however sometimes I think it's a mistake, but I'm not really sure it is :keke:

Why would it be a mistake?
ImageImage
Hierax
Flazéda

Likes received: 380

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Woollyhoolly » 26th April, 2018, 7:50 am

Stem gays for the win in this thread!

What do you all think about studying abroad? Some people I know wouldn't leave their hometown for a million dollars, while others (read:me) cant wait to get away far and fast enough
Made you look

Trudeau's my daddy
Woollyhoolly
Classy

First name: Tim
Likes received: 160

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
2 / 7

Unread postby Lochlan » 26th April, 2018, 9:41 am

Woollyhoolly wrote:Stem gays for the win in this thread!

What do you all think about studying abroad? Some people I know wouldn't leave their hometown for a million dollars, while others (read:me) cant wait to get away far and fast enough

My ideal unis (Oxford/Durham) are in my own country, but both are pretty much as far as I could get from where I am now without getting on a plane (or going to Scotland). I'm considering applying abroad but idk where I would, and I'm not sure if it would fit me as of right now. I can see the appeal though! :keke:
Lochlan
BOT Hunter

First name: Lochlan
Likes received: 294

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
3 / 7

Team: Nerd Herd

Next

Recently active