Forum features and improvements discussion

Off-topic posts go in here; this forum is only loosely moderated.

Re: Forum features and improvements discussion

Unread postby Anonymous Boy » 28th May, 2018, 8:02 pm

Tim. wrote:So I was playing around with the ‘new’ theme to see if I could get used to it, when I noticed there doesn’t seem to be a quick reply text box at the bottom of the thread. You had to click post reply and wait for a second page to load and then type. This I imagine is playing a part role in the decline in forum activity in event times. Who can be bothered going to a separate page just to type a quick post. The text box that I’m using now is easy, all on the same page, easy to reference other posts in the thread and is just like using the comment reply feature on a Facebook post or something. Perhaps this could get looked at? If you want to hold forum activity then surely it’s vital to make posting as easy as could possibly be.

I prefer the old theme too, but there should be a Quick Reply button in Quarto. Does that not show up for you?

...which should expand into:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Currently caring for my very ill father, so please expect a delay if you message me.
If you need urgent help with something, I recommend getting in touch with a moderator.
Anonymous Boy
Owner/Administrator

First name: René
Likes received: 314

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Lochlan » 28th May, 2018, 8:05 pm

It's even on mobile :P
Lochlan
BOT Hunter

First name: Lochlan
Likes received: 294

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
3 / 7

Team: Nerd Herd

Unread postby Tim. » 28th May, 2018, 11:00 pm

Lol I feel stupid because I didn’t see that. Is it possible to have it open by default?
Tim.
The Southern Ex-Moderator

Likes received: 202

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Anonymous Boy » 29th May, 2018, 5:00 am

Tim. wrote:Lol I feel stupid because I didn’t see that. Is it possible to have it open by default?

I don't think there's an option for that, so it would probably require custom modifications. I imagine the theme's creator wanted to make it sleek and not have things like that be expanded by default, in the same way some things in the full posting page are tucked away in tabs.

I wonder if the button is more obvious to people who were never used to the old theme and whose brains aren't expecting to see a big always-there quick-reply box.

Anyway, it may be that people like you and me who got used to the old theme should just keep using that. :D
I even prefer it on my phone (though I suppose that has something to do with the fact that it's one of those big 6" ones :P).

Currently caring for my very ill father, so please expect a delay if you message me.
If you need urgent help with something, I recommend getting in touch with a moderator.
Anonymous Boy
Owner/Administrator

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Kaspar » 30th May, 2018, 6:52 am

Anonymous Boy wrote:[...] (though I suppose that has something to do with the fact that it's one of those big 6" ones :P).

Proudly, the Captain of team Spirited Away
House Cup 2017

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar
Lochlan's cat enthusiast

First name: Kacper
Likes received: 703

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby Petre » 17th June, 2018, 9:30 am

Is there any way that a scheduling posts system could be implemented? As in you pick a time and date for a certain post to go out? I feel like this would be helpful in things like the House Cup, where instead of telling people that a challenge/team will "be out soon/tomorrow," you could say "12:00 PM GMT, Tuesday, 14 July," or something like that. Honestly, I'm mostly asking this to help me be consistent with my fun fact thread, but I feel like it could be a useful forum feature, even though many people wouldn't use it.
Henry Clay compromised the being of the United States.
"The most towny, the most helpful, the best cooperative scum" (Kaspar, Mafia XXXIII): Image
Petre
Mafia A Rank

First name: Peter
Likes received: 163

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Team: Nerd Herd

Mafia A Rank

Unread postby Kaspar » 17th June, 2018, 9:34 am

^ great suggestion imo
Proudly, the Captain of team Spirited Away
House Cup 2017

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar
Lochlan's cat enthusiast

First name: Kacper
Likes received: 703

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby Anonymous Boy » 18th June, 2018, 3:42 pm

Petre wrote:Is there any way that a scheduling posts system could be implemented? As in you pick a time and date for a certain post to go out? I feel like this would be helpful in things like the House Cup, where instead of telling people that a challenge/team will "be out soon/tomorrow," you could say "12:00 PM GMT, Tuesday, 14 July," or something like that. Honestly, I'm mostly asking this to help me be consistent with my fun fact thread, but I feel like it could be a useful forum feature, even though many people wouldn't use it.

I agree that would be very useful. I'll give it a go!

Anonymous Boy
Owner/Administrator

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Revitalized network programme

Unread postby lucilleik60 » 21st August, 2018, 1:51 pm

Rejuvenated snare work:
http://tina.web1.telrock.org
lucilleik60

First name: lucilleik60

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Jacketh » 27th August, 2018, 2:29 am

So what’s the plan with the forum then? It’s been an utter wasteland for the last month or so, and this is when activity should be peaking in the year really. There is no *forum*’community, and there is no real discussion thread of sorts. It’s by far the worse it’s ever been, and I really really doubt it’s ever coming back from this - there has been enough revival attempts, some with varying degrees of success anddd... it’s just not working. I spoke with Thaprot the other day and we mentioned GTF and he said it was dying organically, and I guess he’s right. I’d like to hope our efforts did extend the death and provide some fun for a couple of more years though.

I personally don’t think René should continue to invest his time or be expected to do much. Some suggestions are time consuming, and whilst there often is a short term bounce when new things are introduced, they’re just not long lasting.

I think it’s a shame if GTF is just left to become a wasteland full of spam and no real discussion. People are pretending the Discord has relevance to the forum, but - it’s a completely different community and atmosphere on there. I got called a predator the other day because I’m 21. A year ago on here, 21 was pretty much the norm for established members lol.

Considering you can count the number of people who actually use the forum regularly on maybe one hand now, maybe a discussion needs to be have. Not closing the site down, but maybe it could just be archived or something. There are literally like, no under 16s using apart of the forum except for Josue. I think it would be really cool if there was a push for for the over 18s (does GFO *have* to be 18, by the way?) to go to GFO. One of the reasons I don’t really go on GFO much is because it doesn’t really feel like GTF and there isn’t exactly many familiar faces. It we could get the people who actually care about foruming on the
same forum, at least that’s something... and I think GFO still has its chat and cams so that’d be nice to revisit.
Jacketh

Likes received: 918

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
5 / 7

Previous

Recently active