Forum features and improvements discussion

Off-topic posts go in here; this forum is only loosely moderated.

Re: Forum features and improvements discussion

Unread postby Dessy » 24th February, 2018, 1:35 pm

Jacketh wrote:It's possible I'm going crazy but I swear certain posts have a larger (and somewhat annoying) gap in between the first sentence and text they're quoting - and the formatting of the post suggests that the gap shouldn't be that large.

Example:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=75350&p=2515753#p2515753

How it should look:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=75350&start=1360#p2514549

Maybe I'm getting old and senile. Can anyone else see that?

:rip:
ImageImage
ImageImage

Dessy
Elemental Hero JudgeDes

First name: Des
Likes received: 357

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Dessy » 24th February, 2018, 1:38 pm

Dessy wrote:
Jacketh wrote:It's possible I'm going crazy but I swear certain posts have a larger (and somewhat annoying) gap in between the first sentence and text they're quoting - and the formatting of the post suggests that the gap shouldn't be that large.

Example:

How it should look:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=75350&start=1360#p2514549

Maybe I'm getting old and senile. Can anyone else see that?

:rip:

:rip: (x2)
ImageImage
ImageImage

Dessy
Elemental Hero JudgeDes

First name: Des
Likes received: 357

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Jacketh » 24th February, 2018, 1:39 pm

DES SHUT UP

I SWEAR SOMETHING HAS CHANGED I'VE ALWAYS LEFT MY A GAP BETWEEN [/QUOTE] AND THE START OF MY SENTENCE AND THE GAP HAS NEVER BEEN THAT PRONOUNCED

hi

hi

hi

hi
Jacketh

Likes received: 918

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
5 / 7

Unread postby Kaspar » 24th February, 2018, 1:41 pm

did you forget how to GTF? :rip:
Proudly, the Captain of team Spirited Away
House Cup 2017

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar
Lochlan's cat enthusiast

First name: Kacper
Likes received: 703

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby Jacketh » 24th February, 2018, 1:44 pm

Kaspar wrote:did you forget how to GTF? :rip:

No, I know that there is a gap (I've always put a gap), just that the space the gap is causing feels like it has been extended and isn't what it use to be. It feels like I've pressed enter twice and that there is two lines, but there is only one.

If you look at the space between these two paragraphs, that is the space that one line should equate too. You can see that the space between [/quote] and the start of the sentence in the examples is bigger, though!
Jacketh

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
5 / 7

For post #This post was deleted by Jacketh on 24th February, 2018, 3:57 pm.
Reason: [deleted]

Unread postby Circles » 12th April, 2018, 2:46 pm

Quick thought, I thoroughly dislike the flippancy with which people change their usernames. I can't keep track of anyone, and when I can't tie a post to a user without going back through their other posts to sleuth out who they are, it's very frustrating.
ImageImageImageImageoooo
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Circles
Twinkerbell

First name: Marshall
Likes received: 90

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Team: Odd Squad

Unread postby Cobalt » 12th April, 2018, 3:05 pm

Circles wrote:Quick thought, I thoroughly dislike the flippancy with which people change their usernames. I can't keep track of anyone, and when I can't tie a post to a user without going back through their other posts to sleuth out who they are, it's very frustrating.

I actually agree with this.

Traditionally only one username change has been allowed, and mods are supposed to log them in a thread in staff chat. They weren’t kept up with well recently, but I’ll bring it up to try and make sure they’re being tracked.
Cobalt
Momderator

Likes received: 302

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby Calcifer » 12th April, 2018, 3:56 pm

Maybe having some way by hovering over a user's name and it dropping down with 'Also know as' or 'aliases' like Steam has?
ImageImageImage
Calcifer
Some Hypersexual Puppy Cat Thing

First name: Calum
Likes received: 126

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
2 / 7

Unread postby CRUSTY SEA MILF » 12th April, 2018, 4:07 pm

Speaking of, what ever happened to wolbre04?

ImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
CRUSTY SEA MILF wrote:You the right boob to my left, the peanut butter to my jelly, the Donald to my Melania, the Trisha Paytas to my 5 pounds of salami
CRUSTY SEA MILF
Egregious Infundibular

First name: Brennan/wolbre4
Likes received: 422

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Lochlan » 12th April, 2018, 5:06 pm

CRUSTY SEA MILF wrote:Speaking of, what ever happened to wolbre04?

Who knows, I'm glad the power hungry twat's gone though. Good riddance.
luv ya bren
Lochlan
BOT Hunter

First name: Lochlan
Likes received: 294

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
3 / 7

Team: Nerd Herd

Unread postby Cobalt » 12th April, 2018, 5:21 pm

Calcifer wrote:Maybe having some way by hovering over a user's name and it dropping down with 'Also know as' or 'aliases' like Steam has?

Traditionally the user’s usertitle is changed to be “formerly x” until the community adjusts to the name change, but I guess the first name field works for this also.

So Crusty sea milf can put “Brennan” or “wolbre04” in his first name field of his profile for example.
Cobalt
Momderator

Likes received: 302

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby Dua Lipa » 13th April, 2018, 1:49 am

I think its more to do with the fact you use the forum once every 6 months Marshall, I've never seen an issue with people changing names because A) they typically keep the same avatar, signature, post count and B) They usually tell you when you next see them in chat, which I'd assume is sometime in the same week they changed their name unless of course you're extremely inactive which is your problem.
Twink enthusiast

ImageImage

ImageImage
Dua Lipa
Actually Heterosexual

First name: Ethan
Likes received: 848

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
4 / 7

Unread postby Corrdorr » 13th April, 2018, 1:57 am

In saying that though it would definitely be beneficial for some formal way of finding out a member's past usernames, regardless of whether or not the person finding out is new, old, active, or inactive.

Just putting past usernames or a commonly referred to name in the 'First Name' bar in a profile is a quick fix, but it's not a true fix.

Remember that we do have some older members that have been around for years. Some have had changes, made new accounts for fresh starts, etc in the space between the visits of other older members. It can be a bit confusing at times
Image Image Image Image

Corrdorr
Looks Pretty Good for a Dead Bitch

First name: Corey
Likes received: 171

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby JonathanT88 » 16th April, 2018, 9:15 pm

Sam's too lazy to post this himself, and because I apparently have "influence" I've decided to post this on his behalf in exchange for one fresh mangina.

We demand Discord roles be created to represent GTFA awards, fulfilling a similar role to the signature badges. It would be easy to implement, would give people something to strive for, and would feed my narcissism. When did a little recognition ever go amiss?
Gudrun wrote:

"How many times have I told you? Homosexuality is only to be used for revolutionary purposes!"

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImage
JonathanT88
Horny Jonathan of the Homosexual Intifada

First name: Jonathan (duh.)
Likes received: 786

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby CRUSTY SEA MILF » 16th April, 2018, 10:50 pm

Since that would require a lot of roles to be added, why not just add a "hall of fame" channel or something that users can't post in, but showcases the previous holders of each award? We could also add this to the forum itself :D

ImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
CRUSTY SEA MILF wrote:You the right boob to my left, the peanut butter to my jelly, the Donald to my Melania, the Trisha Paytas to my 5 pounds of salami
CRUSTY SEA MILF
Egregious Infundibular

First name: Brennan/wolbre4
Likes received: 422

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Jacketh » 17th April, 2018, 4:56 am

CRUSTY SEA MILF wrote:Since that would require a lot of roles to be added, why not just add a "hall of fame" channel or something that users can't post in, but showcases the previous holders of each award? We could also add this to the forum itself :D

It wouldn't be that hard, there is only about 25 awards.

15 minute job. And Jonathan just wants "the genius" on his tags.
Jacketh

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
5 / 7

Unread postby Kaspar » 17th April, 2018, 7:45 am

GTFA tags seem like a nice idea, it'll just need to be neatly sorted so that we don't end up with a huge mess.

I'm thinking a channel for GTFAs when they'll be going live - with forum links, references, lists of candidates etc etc
Proudly, the Captain of team Spirited Away
House Cup 2017

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar
Lochlan's cat enthusiast

First name: Kacper
Likes received: 703

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby JonathanT88 » 17th April, 2018, 8:05 am

Jacketh wrote:
CRUSTY SEA MILF wrote:Since that would require a lot of roles to be added, why not just add a "hall of fame" channel or something that users can't post in, but showcases the previous holders of each award? We could also add this to the forum itself :D

It wouldn't be that hard, there is only about 25 awards.

15 minute job. And Jonathan just wants "the genius" on his tags.

You’ve got to look for validation where you can when you’re nothing but an EX-MOD like you an I!
Gudrun wrote:

"How many times have I told you? Homosexuality is only to be used for revolutionary purposes!"

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImage
JonathanT88
Horny Jonathan of the Homosexual Intifada

First name: Jonathan (duh.)
Likes received: 786

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Tim. » 28th May, 2018, 7:45 pm

So I was playing around with the ‘new’ theme to see if I could get used to it, when I noticed there doesn’t seem to be a quick reply text box at the bottom of the thread. You had to click post reply and wait for a second page to load and then type. This I imagine is playing a part role in the decline in forum activity in event times. Who can be bothered going to a separate page just to type a quick post. The text box that I’m using now is easy, all on the same page, easy to reference other posts in the thread and is just like using the comment reply feature on a Facebook post or something. Perhaps this could get looked at? If you want to hold forum activity then surely it’s vital to make posting as easy as could possibly be.
Tim.
The Southern Ex-Moderator

Likes received: 202

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

PreviousNext

Recently active