Your friends' posts
Your posts | Quotes
Welcome, CommonCrawl [Bot]!

It is currently 23rd November, 2014, 10:37 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: Studying Abroad
Unread postPosted: 16th February, 2012, 12:53 am 
4 8 15 16 23 42
Now, I know a similar thread was created in the past (http://gayteenforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33822&p=1122310)

But, I would like the opinions of any student from abroad that studied in Australia (or any Australian familiar with the process):

How long did it take to get a student visa? Were you able to find a way to support yourself in Australia? Generally speaking, how was the application process to your University of choice?

Given the choice, would you do it all again? :)

Last edited by DannyZ on 18th February, 2012, 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: 16th February, 2012, 7:41 am 
Pseudo-Soufflé Girl
Bumping this...I'd be interested to know as well :) :keke:

Unread postPosted: 16th February, 2012, 8:51 am 
so jealous i wanna go back to aus so bad.

just make sure you go to sydney ;)

Unread postPosted: 16th February, 2012, 11:23 am 
Indecently Princesque
Well I know that we have quite a few exchange programs through organisations like Rotary and AFS, (where you stay with a foster family(ies) whilst you study). A few of my mates are using the exchange program to go to japan next year for university.

Usually the organisation that you do it with will help you with your Visa and whatnot, but I believe that a study Visa is quite easy to get. (anywhere between 4-8 weeks)
Probably less if you can arrange your own accomodation?

I will warn you though, the schooling and price of living here is alot more than most places....

Oh and with regards to whether they'd do it again, my best friend hosted an exchange student from Germany for a year, and she already booked her tickets to come back before she left if that's any indication of how much she enjoyed it :P

Unread postPosted: 16th February, 2012, 1:44 pm 
4 8 15 16 23 42
CrownedClown wrote:
Well I know that we have quite a few exchange programs through organisations like Rotary and AFS, (where you stay with a foster family(ies) whilst you study). A few of my mates are using the exchange program to go to japan next year for university.

Usually the organisation that you do it with will help you with your Visa and whatnot, but I believe that a study Visa is quite easy to get. (anywhere between 4-8 weeks)
Probably less if you can arrange your own accomodation?

I will warn you though, the schooling and price of living here is alot more than most places....

Oh and with regards to whether they'd do it again, my best friend hosted an exchange student from Germany for a year, and she already booked her tickets to come back before she left if that's any indication of how much she enjoyed it :P

I'm not looking to do this as part of an exchange program. -_- In fact, I'd probably end up paying more to do this as part of an exchange than I would otherwise (besides the fact that this would be a longer duration visit than most all exchange programs).

I realise that the study visa would be quite easy to get, but I'm not going through a third party.

The US has some of the highest tuition in the western world and it's nearly impossible to earn a living wage over here without a degree in something, so none of that would be anything new to me. :oface:

Unread postPosted: 16th February, 2012, 6:48 pm 
4 8 15 16 23 42
Come on now, I know from reading stuff on this forum in the past that there is in fact a few of you :shifty: I just can't remember your usernames.

tl;dr: -bump-

Unread postPosted: 16th February, 2012, 7:30 pm 
No Alf, not in the diner
Schooling is pretty cheap here really, I mean I pay $8,000 a semester but only the high bracket degrees (law, medicine, dentistry etc.) pay that much and thats the maximum. Student accommodation is expensive especially in Sydney its absolutely ridiculous there - $300 is their cheap ones! And if you're in Sydney, Melbourne or Canberra in particular everything is expensive housing wise, they're beautiful but expensive cities (well Canberra's not so pretty, its just there. Also Melbourne's waterways look like sewers). The Queensland unis, or Wollongong/Newcastle which are an hour south and two hours north respectively of Sydney are significantly cheaper to live in.

Are you planning on doing an exchange for one year or your whole degree here? I know that exchange students still have to pay their fees at their home university.

Unread postPosted: 16th February, 2012, 8:13 pm 
4 8 15 16 23 42
I'd be an international student, so I'd pay more than that, but still less than what I'd pay here. Remember, due to me not being an Australian, the Australian government would not cover any of my tuition, so I'd get a larger bill in the end. I've already done two years of university/college over here (though it was really only basic liberal arts courses), I'd be planning on doing a whole degree down there, but I don't know if I can go. High rent/cost of living would be nothing new to me.

I It would be nice if I could find someone else (from outside Australia) that did their degree down in Australia. I'd really like to know how they covered tuition costs and qualified for a student visa (Google isn't being of much help).

Unread postPosted: 17th February, 2012, 4:00 am 
No Alf, not in the diner
Have you looked at the department of immigration's website?

As long as you stay away from Melbourne/Sydney in particular that makes it significantly cheaper for accommodation depending on the degree you want to do there are some really good unis outside there UTAS, UOW, UON, UQ, QUT etc. I know a few international students here but most of the time their parents paid for it.

Unread postPosted: 17th February, 2012, 11:53 am 
Always in your heart
Few things I've learned from friends who are international students:
-It should be fairly easy to get into a Uni, because they like the raised fees international students pay.
-Money may be a problem, because you have limited hours you can work, rent is high and part time jobs are going to be fairly low pay.
-Avoid 'private colleges' that cater solely to international students, they are quite often degree mills and have a bad reputation for screwing over their students.

It'd definitely be worth your while looking into any scholarships offered to international students at any uni's you apply to, and I agree with BeeGee, try to avoid Sydney/Melborune if you want to avoid paying through the nose for everything.

Unread postPosted: 17th February, 2012, 11:54 am 
4 8 15 16 23 42
Beegee wrote:
Have you looked at the department of immigration's website?

As long as you stay away from Melbourne/Sydney in particular that makes it significantly cheaper for accommodation depending on the degree you want to do there are some really good unis outside there UTAS, UOW, UON, UQ, QUT etc. I know a few international students here but most of the time their parents paid for it.

Yep, I'd have to find some way to prove I have the funds to live in Australia outside of any funds I may accumulate while there. (won't be easy to do)

I need to find wealthy parents to adopt me. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Studying Abroad
Unread postPosted: 18th February, 2012, 6:32 am 
4 8 15 16 23 42
I was just wondering if anyone could help me, anyone at all (particularly Americans) who has ever studied abroad? I just would like to know how it would be possible to meet the financial requirements for a study permit/visa if you do not have the support of your parents (ie: they can't/refuse to help you meet those requirements)? :runaway:

Unread postPosted: 18th February, 2012, 3:49 pm 
4 8 15 16 23 42
bump

Unread postPosted: 23rd February, 2012, 2:48 pm 
I believe I said this in a prior post, but if your really from New York, I guarantee that it will still be cheaper for you to go to school in NY, than go to Australia. Go to collegeboard.org and do their college search. You'll be surprised at how cheap so of the state schools in New York are, in comparison to many private schools.

As far as you more general question about studying abroad, you generally don't need your parents support as far as applying for a Visa as long as your over 18. However, most countries won't grant a Visa if you don't prove to have sufficient funds to study there. If you go to the US State department's website, you will be able to find specific Visa information for Australia and what they require.

Unread postPosted: 23rd February, 2012, 10:29 pm 
I've studied abroad in Russia for the past two summers.

Unread postPosted: 23rd February, 2012, 10:39 pm 
Cool-Story Enthusiast
Location: goin to california, goin to live the life, sippin on tequila night after night
look, australia is a fun idea. personally, I'd love to go there, and in fact (not sure if US has this), as long as you're under 30 it's quite easy to get a 1 or 2 year working holiday visa. for school, though?? it's not the answer.

unless there is a specific school with a sterling reputation for the program you're interested in, it's going to do you a diservice to go to a college out there. for the most part they do not have international (or even within the US) recognition, meaning they will be thought less of even if it was a more academically rigorous program. the name value is what you're paying for.

but anyway, a degree is a degree, and only maybe the top 30-40 schools on the princeton review rankings would hold any water anyway, so if you're not concerned about reputation, you should totally go to the school that interests you most.

australia won't save you money, though. it may or may not be cheaper when you factor in tuition and the AUS to USD exchange rate, but ultimately it's going to be a shitty experience. with flights usually into the 1,000s of dollars, a completely different day/time/season from your family's, etc. you'll probably have to skip a lot of christmases and other important events because it's just way too expensive to leave australia. go there for a trip afterwards, live there if you want to, but don't go to school there. you're over thinking this

ETA: 1day is right, too. when I was applying to schools in the US, they required us to submit a notarized letter from a bank saying that my parents had the full year's tuition (or more) in their bank account. I know my parents had to shift some dollars around to give the "appearance" that they had it all, ready to go. it's stressful tbh

Unread postPosted: 23rd February, 2012, 10:55 pm 
4 8 15 16 23 42
surprise of the century wrote:
look, australia is a fun idea. personally, I'd love to go there, and in fact (not sure if US has this), as long as you're under 30 it's quite easy to get a 1 or 2 year working holiday visa. for school, though?? it's not the answer.

unless there is a specific school with a sterling reputation for the program you're interested in, it's going to do you a diservice to go to a college out there. for the most part they do not have international (or even within the US) recognition, meaning they will be thought less of even if it was a more academically rigorous program. the name value is what you're paying for.

but anyway, a degree is a degree, and only maybe the top 30-40 schools on the princeton review rankings would hold any water anyway, so if you're not concerned about reputation, you should totally go to the school that interests you most.

australia won't save you money, though. it may or may not be cheaper when you factor in tuition and the AUS to USD exchange rate, but ultimately it's going to be a shitty experience. with flights usually into the 1,000s of dollars, a completely different day/time/season from your family's, etc. you'll probably have to skip a lot of christmases and other important events because it's just way too expensive to leave australia. go there for a trip afterwards, live there if you want to, but don't go to school there. you're over thinking this

ETA: 1day is right, too. when I was applying to schools in the US, they required us to submit a notarized letter from a bank saying that my parents had the full year's tuition (or more) in their bank account. I know my parents had to shift some dollars around to give the "appearance" that they had it all, ready to go. it's stressful tbh

I decided against going to Australia actually, I just hadn't updated the thread because I didn't think it would be bumped. I honestly don't care about missing time with my dysfunctional family.

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ] 

Time zone: America/New_York