Active topics
Unread | New posts
Your bookmarks
Your friends' posts
Your posts | Quotes
Welcome, CommonCrawl [Bot]!

It is currently 19th April, 2014, 6:01 pm

Forum rules

Welcome to the Intellectual Discussion subforum.

This forum is the place for intellectual discussions, such as philosophical or scientific debates. There are some guidelines that apply specifically to posts in this forum, of which you will be expected to have made yourself aware before participating. They are as follows:

• Intellectually stimulating topics only. If you can't have a deep discussion about something, it does not belong here.
  • If you're going to post, have something to say. When you make a new thread, write the initial post in a way that provides an introduction to the topic and invites further discussion. You could tell us how you feel and why, but always aim for constructive responses that further a discussion about the ideas involved, rather than a simple list of people's views. (Instead of asking "Are you a vegetarian?", discuss some of the arguments involved.) This guideline likewise applies for responses to topics.
  • Write using good English. That means full sentences with proper capitalisation, punctuation, spelling and grammar. No one is perfect, though; this is not an invitation to criticise others for minor mistakes.
  • Be nice. This is a forum for rational discourse, not flame wars. No one is always right. Be respectful of other people's views and accept that we are all entitled to our own.

These guidelines will be enforced by the moderators based on their best judgement, and anyone who does not take them seriously will lose the privilege of posting here. Spammers will be banned from the entire forum.

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: Derogatory Terms
Unread postPosted: 26th July, 2011, 5:17 pm 
Masterdebater
Location: Intactivist City , Town of Acceptance and Genital Integrity For All
Derogatory terms on race, class, sexuality, gender, etc can be acceptable/taboo in various situations(ie Fag, Cunt, Redneck, etc).

Should they be used, even jokingly?
Should they be banned?
Is it okay for people of that group to call each other the terms? (ie Black people using Nigga)
Is it hypocritical that it's okay for that group to call themselves the term and others can't?(Gays can call themselves fags and no one else can)
Can they be used as terms of "endearment" to disarm the word?(Ie N-word -> Nigga)
Are they really offensive?

Thoughts GTF?

Post subject: Re: Derogatory Terms
Unread postPosted: 26th July, 2011, 5:20 pm 
I think it depends on the contexts these terms are used in. I say "fuck you" to my friends all the time; I don't mean it and they don't care :dunno:

Unread postPosted: 26th July, 2011, 5:22 pm 
Masterdebater
idonotknowwhy wrote:
I think it depends on the contexts these terms are used in. I say "fuck you" to my friends all the time; I don't mean it and they don't care :dunno:

Yeah. Some of my friends call each other Fag who are gay and straight, sometimes I take offense.

I have been told that anyone especially gays calling people fags pushes down the LGBT movement as it makes discrimination seem "okay".

Unread postPosted: 26th July, 2011, 5:26 pm 
You turn if you want but this faggot isn't for turning
I think its okay for people of a group to call themselves a derogatory name because they're labelling themselves and not someone else
I think the intention is what counts. I have seen a black guy being called nigger by his friends, but they all knew it was a joke so nobody took it serious

I think they can be used, depending on the intention.

Unread postPosted: 26th July, 2011, 5:32 pm 
GeorgeyBoy94 wrote:
I think they can be used, depending on the intention.

Unread postPosted: 26th July, 2011, 5:38 pm 
Unidastazovamerika'liqua
TechyDude wrote:
Not in my opinion, though I won't begrudge a comedian who does so tastefully. Or an author who uses it to get their point across.

Should they be banned?
Of course not.

Is it okay for people of that group to call each other the terms? (ie Black people using Nigga)
I don't think so. As a black person, I have never said "nigga" and I refuse to let another black person say that to me. (Actually, I once said it to my brother but it was for dramatic effect. Fairly funny story.) I have used faggot on this website, but never in real life. And the reasons for my use of faggot usually become evident in the context of my post.

Is it hypocritical that it's okay for that group to call themselves the term and others can't?(Gays can call themselves fags and no one else can)
To an extent, I believe so. If you're going to use the word and then use the, "it's just a word," as justification of it's use, then others have every right to use it as well. However, I don't subscribe to the, "it's just a word," argument. One of the indicators of when you've become fluent in a language is how words affect you. Words were developed to express ideas and provoke emotions onto other people in order to communicate. "Nigger" and "faggot" may be just words, but they're also capable of being little packages of venom and history. I don't suggest using them as terms of endearment at all; languages have developed diminutives for that purpose exactly.

Can they be used as terms of "endearment" to disarm the word?(Ie N-word -> Nigga)
Black people didn't develop "nigga" from "nigger" to disarm the word. Dropping the "er" and adding the "a" just caught on with colloquialism, and then began to be used popularly- only when people were confronted with its use did people justify it with that bullshit excuse. You don't disarm words by changing their spelling, you disarm a word by changing the hate and the people of which the word derived. It baffles me how people think that self-degradation is the new self-esteem.

It would depend on who you're talking to, apparently. This topic never reaches a universal agreement.

Unread postPosted: 26th July, 2011, 6:59 pm 
There is no sense in banning profane slurs, even if most of it is vile, crude and disgusting. Derogatory terms can be annoying and potentially hurtful, but limiting freedom of speech would be far worse than getting called a "faggot" by some ignorant tool with inferiority issues :glasses: .

The fact that they create double-standards isn't really a relevant cause of concern. The taboo behind hateful words is often manipulated to invoke an ironic sense of humor within a group of friends. For example, I have a black friend whom I (a white individual) jokingly call a "nigger" to which he responds "faggot" and it's funny for both of us due to an inside joke. Anyone outside the joke using those words carries a completely tone and meaning all-together, for the express purpose of being a total dick.

People get offended by nature, you can't please everybody.

Unread postPosted: 26th July, 2011, 7:10 pm 
-Honestly, I use them all the time jokingly. If people find offense to that, I note it and try to not ever say it to them / around them again. But as long as everyone in the group is okay with it, I think it's not that big of a deal.

Should they be banned?
-No. As long as no one is trying to intentionally be offensive to put someone down then I think they should not be banned. If someone starts trying to be a little dick, then they, not the words, should be banned. That is, in the sense of a forum. IRL? Also no. Freedom of Speech is something the US is founded on.

-Who are we to judge? If it's socially acceptable within their community or friendgroup then yeah, they should be able to say whatever the hell they want, regardless of how annoying it may be.

-Generally when another group uses the word in such a way they're trying to be offensive. Therefore, it's not hypocritical. If say a straight person said "You're such a fag." to me or a gay friend in a joking matter, I wouldn't find anything wrong with it. Again, its the line on intentional offense or not.

-It seems less offensive when one says it in the "disarmed" way, but really it's an entirely different word with similiar standings. The n-word suggests an insult while "nigga" is often used as a normal conversational title, such as "dude". Again, if the group is okay with the term, who are we to judge?

-If aimed to be so, then yes. If not, then if someone finds them personally offensive can they be so. Everyone has different opinions on these things.

Formats ftw.

Last edited by Tune on 26th July, 2011, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: 26th July, 2011, 7:12 pm 
Masterdebater
They tried/are trying to ban the N-word in NYC.

Unread postPosted: 26th July, 2011, 7:21 pm 
TechyDude wrote:
They tried/are trying to ban the N-word in NYC.

Oh, I thought you meant banned as in a forum sense. Whoops.

Unread postPosted: 26th July, 2011, 7:27 pm 
Masterdebater
The way I feel:

As long as you don't offend anyone use em. Yes they can be used jokingly.

Should they be banned? It depends:(Nigger, Spic, etc yes sure if it comes up). But i'm not forward marching the ban on this. Don't know if that would compromise freedom of speech.

If you are of that group then sure use em. As for people outside as long it's not used to discriminate or it's not something like(nigger, etc) then okay.

I guess it's kind've hypocritical but it depends.

And think disarming the words such as gays calling each other fags mmm still doesn't take out the burn. I've even been told gays who call each other fags are destroying the LGBT movement.

If they are used to offend, discriminate, or the harder words are used, but in general yes they are offensive.

Unread postPosted: 27th July, 2011, 11:49 am 
TechyDude wrote:
Derogatory terms on race, class, sexuality, gender, etc can be acceptable/taboo in various situations(ie Fag, Cunt, Redneck, etc).

Should they be banned?

Thoughts GTF?

For the love of god no.

Unread postPosted: 27th July, 2011, 1:03 pm 
Personally, I think (as with anything else), that there is a level of context that has to be taken into account. I am not a huge fan of censorship of any kind, although in certain circumstances this may be the best solution (ie: legal protections for the targets of such language). In terms of racial slurs, anti-gay rhetoric, etc...I believe that there needs to be some level of protection, on a national level. When you leave that sort of thing up to the states, it causes problems.

Unread postPosted: 27th July, 2011, 10:48 pm 
Suspected Evil Mad Scientist
Obviously context is the major factor in deciding offensiveness and appropriateness, but I think that in general, they should be avoided. Even if I use certain words, it inherently makes the use of the word in general, and thus also offensively more acceptable.

I don't think they should be banned, as I'm against censorship in general, though I do agree that hate-speech ought to be punishable.

As for hypocrisy, yes, that's definitely present in such groups. If I have a black friend that I jokingly call nigger/nigga, and we both know it's a joke, no one is hurt, but many in the black community will take offense, simply because I'm white and using the word N word, whereas if I was black then no-one would bat an eye.

Unread postPosted: 27th July, 2011, 11:09 pm 

Sure. I love being dumb and callin my friends "my bitches". It's how we express ourselves. Of course not everyone will get it but that is why they arent included.

Should they be banned?

The fact that this is impossible anywhere but online is answer enough to this question. lol Plus banning is like opening Pandora's box. To limit certain words opens the doors to censoring other words certain groups find "innapropriate" that might seem ok to the majority.

I use "nigga" with my friends sometimes but it's once again a group thing. If people in your group of friends are uncomfortable with you saying it then it is important to stop using the name. Otherwise its ok.

I had no idea that gays called themselves and other gays fags. I was always under the assumption that fags were overly gay men who attempt to be females. I would take offense personally if someone called me a fag. Then again I am new to the community so perhaps understanding comes with time. I also agree with others who say this can down the LGBT comm. in the same way that calling someone a bitch on national television has allowed it to become uncensored and actually ok for most to say.

Stated above.

Depends on the person.

I like this topic btw. Thanks for creating. :nod:

Unread postPosted: 27th July, 2011, 11:16 pm 
TechyDude wrote:

Should they be banned?

Thoughts GTF?

That's the only question that doesn't have a circumstantial answer. And the answer to that is no.

Unread postPosted: 27th July, 2011, 11:18 pm 
Masterdebater
Here's a kicker:

How would you feel if the word "faggot" was banned?

Unread postPosted: 27th July, 2011, 11:20 pm 
Honestly wouldn't care either way. It's not a word in my vocabulary or those of my friends.

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ] 

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]