What do I do? I have a crush on my friend.

This is the place to discuss and get advice about things like coming out and relationships. Everyone is expected to be courteous here.

What do I do? I have a crush on my friend.

Unread postby CheeseSlice » 5th August, 2017, 4:33 pm

Like the title says, I have a crush on my friend. I told him I'm gay and he said he just wants to be really good friends. I would like to assume he's not hiding any feeling because if I opened up to the possibility that he secretly likes me then the crush on him would be so my worse. But it already is really bad because I think about him all the time and obsess over him. It would be so much easier to get over him if he wasn't my friend, but on the other hand, I really love him as a friend because he's just so fun and nice. I really just don't know what to do. I'm sick of having these feelings for a guy who I consider one of the best friends I ever had and I'd really like to just be his friend. Obviously, I'm not asking if he likes me because I don't think he's in the closet. Should I open up to him? What should I do?
CheeseSlice

First name: Dan
Likes received: 8

Re: What do I do? I have a crush on my friend.

Unread postby Lochlan » 5th August, 2017, 4:39 pm

I can only give you advice from a similar experience I had, but I found it best to try to enjoy his company as a friend, and treasure that time with him - remember that opening up can cause unnecessary awkwardness, not just for you, but for him, so in my situation, it was best to talk to different friends about it to make me feel better, while still maintaining a good friendship with the crush. Try to keep him and his well being in mind before opening up too much, unless you already know you have the sort of friendship where you could talk to him about it, but at the end of the day, if you do, what can he do about it to help you out? I hope this situation goes well for you, don't less this sort of thing break your heart :heart:
I'll find some real nice thing for my signature one day..
Lochlan

First name: Lochlan
Likes received: 44

Unread postby Pity » 5th August, 2017, 5:59 pm

Lochlan pretty much summed up the best advice I could give. Unfortunately, you got his answer and it is probably is not best to push him further. If he does have hidden feelings for you, he will probably tell you now that he knows you have feelings for him. I know it is going to suck being forced to be friends with him, but it is just something you have to do. Sorry, but I hope it all works out for you. :heart:
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

First name: Marcus
Likes received: 475

Unread postby CheeseSlice » 5th August, 2017, 8:59 pm

Lochlan wrote:don't less this sort of thing break your heart :heart:

My heart is already broken :weep: lol
CheeseSlice

First name: Dan
Likes received: 8

Unread postby Rhodylan » 5th August, 2017, 10:15 pm

If it’s just a crush, than it should probably die off the minute he does something gross or just generally unappealing. If it’s more along the lines of love, however, I would try and use that love to further motivate myself to be a better friend. This includes helping him solve his girlfriend problems. In my situation, I do whatever I can to make him understand how much I care about his wellbeing. I really want the best for him and so I try to make myself understand that clearly I wouldn’t be able to provide the things he’s looking for in a relationship. If I truly love him, then I shouldn’t want him to be in a relationship that wouldn’t make him happy. My ultimate goal is to make him realize that his friendship with me provides far more than any romantic relationship could. It hurts sometimes, but the heartfelt way he thanks me for being such a good friend, makes that pain bearable. Hope that my advice is at least interesting, even if it’s not helpful.
Rhodylan

First name: Dylan
Likes received: 1

Recently active