Body Image and Confidence

This is the place to discuss and get advice about things like coming out and relationships. Everyone is expected to be courteous here.

Body Image and Confidence

Unread postby beastie1 » 2nd August, 2017, 5:26 pm

Body image and confidence with one's physical aspects are problems with which I have dealt for a long time. While I write this I am quite embarrassed to speak about it -- but as I do not wish to look for attention or pity, only advice, I will not detail why I feel such things.

I would not believe that I am the only person on GTF who has had these problems; nor do I believe that I am the only one who will have these problems, so hopefully other individuals with such feelings may find some help on this thread also. Therefore, to whomever has had such problems, I would like to ask you:

1) How did you come to deal with these issues?
2) Do you feel as though you still have these problems?
3) What advice could you give to others?
beastie1

Likes received: 11

Re: Body Image and Confidence

Unread postby Pity » 2nd August, 2017, 5:56 pm

I really hate that my main piece of advice is brash, but I find it to be helpful. Let me explain. I am incredibly self-conscious and sometimes have low levels of confidence, but my advice/philosophy is "If you can't change it, deal with it." No, you may not look like a model. No, you may not get your DMs blown up by a bunch of hot guys. No, you may not get complimented every time you walk into a room. Unfortunately, confidence and acceptance are just learned over time. If there are things you may be able to change like your hair, clothing style, or possibly weight, do not be afraid to try new options. Try out a new haircut. Get a different type of deodorant/cologne. Start exercising. Buy a couple new outfits. I hope I was of some help; not everyone's advice is universal.
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

First name: Marcus
Likes received: 489

Team: The Wild West

Unread postby beastie1 » 2nd August, 2017, 6:03 pm

Pity wrote:I really hate that my main piece of advice is brash, but I find it to be helpful. Let me explain. I am incredibly self-conscious and sometimes have low levels of confidence, but my advice/philosophy is "If you can't change it, deal with it." No, you may not look like a model. No, you may not get your DMs blown up by a bunch of hot guys. No, you may not get complimented every time you walk into a room. Unfortunately, confidence and acceptance are just learned over time. If there are things you may be able to change like your hair, clothing style, or possibly weight, do not be afraid to try new options. Try out a new haircut. Get a different type of deodorant/cologne. Start exercising. Buy a couple new outfits. I hope I was of some help; not everyone's advice is universal.

No that's perfectly fine. I'd much rather honest advice than none at all! I guess it was quite an obvious answer that I was expecting, but I just wasn't sure and needed a second opinion.

Thank you though.
beastie1

Likes received: 11

Unread postby Lochlan » 2nd August, 2017, 6:33 pm

I speak from experience, having dealt with my weight for quite a while now, that there are definitely ways to improve the way you feel about yourself. Things that can be changed, change them. The way your body looks can be changed with dedication and hard work, and you can change your hair, clothing etc easily. Things that you can't change, as Pity said, you have to learn to deal with, and just not get disheartened by it. The feeling of acceptance of your flaws starts to come when you also start to realise the parts of you that you DO like. It's a long process, but you should be comfortable in your own skin, so start with the things that you can change, and then start getting comfy with the way you look :heart:

Changing everything up every now and then is useful too, it helps you find what you like best and that just makes you even more comfortable as you :keke:
I'll find some real nice thing for my signature one day..
Lochlan

First name: Lochlan
Likes received: 46

Unread postby c70 » 2nd August, 2017, 9:57 pm

I will agree with Pity and Lochlan on this one. Change what you have control over if you are not happy with it (Clothes, Hair, Weight) but definitely accept yourself for the things you can't change. The models you see on TV can be very deceptive and very few people actually look like that.
Look I finally got a profile picture :D
c70

First name: Thomas
Likes received: 16

Unread postby Littlenorthernboy » 7th August, 2017, 6:47 am

Are you worried about this because of how others would react, or is it genuine concern related only to your feelings without emphasizing them on others?

Usually people tend not to worry about these things for themselves but for the others. If the reason is about how others will perceive, then my advice would be to screw that ideology and to start thinking about yourself.

If you are thinking about yourself, you should understand to seek for healthy lifestyle instead of looks. You can alter some things, even body image, but ultimately you will have to accept what the outcome is. If you have genuine reasons to go for it, then do and change it, otherwise first try to find whether your reasons are genuine or not.
Littlenorthernboy

Likes received: 29

Unread postby Squipel » 7th August, 2017, 1:34 pm

1) How did you come to deal with these issues? - I ain't but I'd say try to ignore it?
2) Do you feel as though you still have these problems? Fuck yes.
3) What advice could you give to others? Like what most other people have said, nobody looks like the models you see everywhere, they're all fake - look up videos about behind models; makeup I swear I've seen a video on it before.
Squipel
King of the Gingers

First name: James
Likes received: 17

Team: The Far East

Unread postby Cxurujeto » 7th August, 2017, 4:23 pm

1) How did you come to deal with these issues? I don't. I just internalize it.
2) Do you feel as though you still have these problems? They come and go, but I know they will never go away in the long run. They usually manifest in insecurity in my relationships and myself.
3) What advice could you give to others? Learn to live with it, it'll never go away.

ImageImageImage
Cxurujeto
Русский

First name: Benn(ett)
Likes received: 55

Unread postby Confuzzled.com » 8th August, 2017, 5:33 pm

I can speak from the point of view of being on a journey. I used to get bullied very badly at my high school and primary school until the age of about 14-15. I'm only 17 now. One thing I changed that made people take me more seriously, like me more, bully me less and respect me 10 fold. This was the way I dressed. In 2015 me and my friend went to watch kingsman the secret service. Straight after I knew that's what I wanted to be like. To be the best dressed man in the room, to be the boldest, and to try and be the best. Not in a cocky way. Only to set an example for others to follow and better myself each day. Since then I've dressed so much better, made so many more friends than I would have done and gained respect from my former bullies who never expected I could be better than them. I don't even train or go to the gym. Depending on your age you slim down into late teens anyway as long as you don't eat crap all the time. If you make yourself better than the people who ridicule you, then no longer can you be ridiculed, only praised. You have to bear with it though if you want to change. Hope this helped
Confuzzled.com

First name: Oliver

Recently active