Homophobia at school, help!!!!

This is the place to discuss and get advice about things like coming out and relationships. Everyone is expected to be courteous here.

Homophobia at school, help!!!!

Unread postby Bob1029 » 18th July, 2017, 12:05 pm

Recently some people have been like really homophobic to me by like saying things such as go back to (enter my crush's name here) which I'm finding really hurtful as they are like saying because I'm gay and they're acting like its a really bad thing. Please may someone give some advice on how to deal with it please.
Bob1029

First name: Bobby
Likes received: 9

Re: Homophobia at school, help!!!!

Unread postby Pity » 18th July, 2017, 12:20 pm

Sorry that you are going through this! This is really common in the LGBT community. I have not been bullied myself, but perhaps the best thing you could do is try to avoid going near the people who have been teasing you. While telling a teacher or administrator may work, I have never actually heard of a situation where it has. I think you also should understand that words only have as much power as you let them. If you act unbothered or ignore their comments, they could just get bored of it and stop trying to get your attention. I hope it all goes well for you.
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

First name: Marcus
Likes received: 492

Team: The Wild West

Unread postby MCarr » 18th July, 2017, 1:08 pm

People can be animals! When they see someone different they'll label him "wrong". It's unfortunate that this is happening to you, but you can't change people. What you can do is ignore them. I know this is difficult because they're hurting you, but if you act like you don't care they'll let you go. They keep insulting you because they see that their insults are getting to you. They won't continue if they see their efforts to hurt you are in vain.
You can also talk to your parents or teachers, but as Pity said, this might not work, it can even make it worse. Best of luck...
"I hate the word homophobia. It's not a phobia. You are not scared. You are an asshole"

MCarr
I won a bet with Kaspar

First name: Miguel
Likes received: 160

Unread postby c70 » 18th July, 2017, 5:13 pm

Im sorry this is happening to you. I sometimes feel that those types of people that are homophobic towards you do it just because they can. And that's not okay. I, unfortunately don't think there is much you can do to make them stop immediately, but if you try to avoid them, and act like what they are saying doesn't even effect you, eventually they will stop. I know its going to be hard, but just remember we are all here to support you! Like Pity and MCarr said, going to teachers or administration may make the problem worse, so I recommend trying to simply ignore them first. Remember you are better than they are.
Look I finally got a profile picture :D
c70

First name: Thomas
Likes received: 19

Unread postby Bob1029 » 19th July, 2017, 9:15 am

It will be quite difficult for me to avoid one of them as they are friends with my friends, and ignoring him doesn't seem to be working so if there's anything else that would be really nice
Bob1029

First name: Bobby
Likes received: 9

Unread postby Kaspar » 19th July, 2017, 9:26 am

Well in that case asking a teacher or parent for help is the only reasonable thing you could do in my opinion.
Proudly, the Captain of team Spirited Away
House Cup 2017

mattyk wrote:You are indeed all-round 100% certified awesome!

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar
The Kind Moderator / Lochlan's cat enthusiast

First name: Kacper
Likes received: 366

Team: The Far East

Unread postby Abdeltyf » 19th July, 2017, 2:58 pm

You're in the UK - go ask a teacher or an administrator! It's not in any way a sign of weakness or an embarrassment to ask for help in those situations. Any competent adult should be able to help you, whether be it a parent or a counselor. In case it doesn't work, stand up for yourself, or ignore them. It always works - it takes time, but keep your head up. They will get bored eventually and let it go, and it will all be a part of the past. Sometimes, we just have to learn how to live through some horrible things.
Never forget that you're not the one to blame here! :)

:keke:
Abdeltyf
Formerly "Winpartium"

First name: Abdeltyf
Likes received: 25

Team: The Far East

Unread postby PolarBearGuy » 19th July, 2017, 8:22 pm

Honestly, these folks are nothing more than trolls; they want to see a reaction out of you. Do not give it to them. I know it is hard, but be proud of who you are, and they'll eventually stop. There are varying degrees of homophobic bullying. Most homophobic people simply do not understand - they're ignorant - of what they put people through. Some do it out of malice, perhaps because they are afraid of who they are.

Do not ignore them; that'll only hurt you. Do not give them your attention, either. The best way to deal with a bully is to understand where they're coming from as people. To understand why they're being a monstrous dick - and how they are hurting you. Once you analyze the situation and do the best you can, you should turn for help.

As others have said, do consider seeking a trusted friend or adult.
PM me anytime.
PolarBearGuy

Unread postby Monkey1212 » 31st July, 2017, 3:12 pm

The only thing I can tell you is how I deal with people like that. I take everything as a compliment. For example if some one came up to be and said "you're stupid," I'd just give them a huge smile and say "thank you." In my experience it really annoys the person and it shows them that you have thick skin even if you're just pretending. If you pretend for long enough, it's not pretend anymore. Good luck :)
Monkey1212

First name: Grace

Unread postby Littlenorthernboy » 31st July, 2017, 3:44 pm

I wished I had a lever I could pull in order to shut down the bullying, but I dont. Maybe just if they start trolling you, troll them back. Really, you make it sound like they are mere trolls who possibly do that kinda stuff to many ppl not just you, and are picking on you due to your orientation.
Seriously, just when they start saying go back to him, u could reply anything between: surprising them with hinting that you like them instead - eg. "go back to him" / "stop being on my way then" + wink at him, this should be only if he is good-looking douche, ending there with saying he is nothing - and other surreal compliments like thanking them, to making a joke about them / their behaviour
Littlenorthernboy

Likes received: 29

Unread postby rkach » 1st August, 2017, 9:14 pm

First thing that always comes to mind is the "smack that bitch" vine for me haha... but this is serious. When I am put in a homophobic situation sometime I'll go along with it ... for example blow them a kiss or smack my butt real cutsie. If you don't feel comfortable with that just walk away. The reaction they want is for you to cry or get really mad so stay clear of that. Hope this helps
rkach

First name: Ryan
Likes received: 1

For post #This post was deleted by Example on 20th September, 2017, 3:07 am.
Reason: spam

Recently active