Your bookmarks
Your friends' posts
Your posts | Quotes
Welcome, CommonCrawl [Bot]!

It is currently 20th December, 2014, 8:43 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: So...
Unread postPosted: 9th February, 2012, 3:02 pm 
So I'm the oldest boy of 5 kids and don't really talk to my parents about stuff like feelings, Depression, love and crushes oh and the fact that I'm gay...

My parents aren't like homophobes or anything it's just I don't talk about that sort of stuff because I'm shy and all. I'm sure they know I'm gay but are waiting for my to come out in my own time. (and yes I am out at school I came out when I was 14)

Sooo my question is how do I talk to my mum about all of that stuff? Coz I'm like 16 and my parents barley know the real me.

Post subject: Re: So...
Unread postPosted: 9th February, 2012, 3:05 pm 
Just say it??

Unread postPosted: 9th February, 2012, 3:08 pm 
It's harder than that coz I don't talk to them about anything besides "How was school" "it was ok"...

Unread postPosted: 9th February, 2012, 3:11 pm 
sh3rrimand3r
Tell them what you told us. Say that you don't feel like they know the "real" you, and that you'd like for them to. You don't have to say everything all at once. Perhaps just start out small. You don't want to overwhelm them with a mass of information after you've given them none for years xP. But if you want a better and more open relationship with your parents, it's on you to let them know that. I hope it works out for you :).

Unread postPosted: 9th February, 2012, 3:12 pm 
You said that you don't want to talk to them about awkward stuff and that they probably know and are waiting for you to come out in your own time, so why the need to come out now? Just wait until you feel you are ready. If the reason is that your parents don't know the real you, just act like the real you and if they ask you then you will just have to face the awkward conversations (which is bound to happen).

My parents know I am gay, before I was worried they didn't know me at all. This hasn't changed and when I put this to them they got the wrong idea and started throwing stereotypes at me :dunno:

Unread postPosted: 9th February, 2012, 3:12 pm 
You know your parents well enough to know how to interact with them, no? If you haven't had much communication on such matters in your life, it would be best to take your time, and start opening yourself up calmly and gradually. Assuming that your parents are the supporting type, they'll receive your openness and wish to talk about yourself warmly. Take a look at sneakattack's thread to see how well it can go. I'm sure you'll get to know each other better, and have a better understanding of your parents' thoughts of and approach to you, if you were to open up.

Unread postPosted: 14th February, 2012, 11:24 pm 
Hates Cargo Shorts
OMG. Like same exact situation. Start to tell your parents little things about your inner self and when you get more comfortable, finally reveal your homosexuality.

Unread postPosted: 15th February, 2012, 4:12 pm 
It's easier when you come from a large-ish family like this, because you can blind everyone with statistics!

If you assume that 10% of people are gay, the chances of your parents having one gay child out of 5 is 41%, which isn't a majority, but still really high.

Unread postPosted: 15th February, 2012, 4:25 pm 
Xade wrote:
Tell them what you told us.

This.

You don't need to splurge it all on them at once, just gradually start telling them more about yourself & your life when they ask you about it.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Time zone: America/New_York