Allow me to introduce myself :-)

All introductions go in here; established members are kindly asked to be as courteous as their minds allow them to be.

Allow me to introduce myself :-)

Unread postby gnossienne » 10th August, 2017, 9:13 pm

Hello everyone! My name is James and I just joined GTF. My journey into accepting and understanding my sexuality has been long, but I have finally come to the realization that Jesus loves me just as I am.

I live in a strongly Christian, non-denominational household. Honestly, I didn't even know what "gay" meant until I was at least 9 or 10, but I instantly was told that homosexuality was a sin. As a child, I never thought much about it. It didn't really affect me whether it was wrong or not.

I distinctly remember the moment when I realized that I was not attracted to women. I was sitting in the living room and I had the thought, "Men just look better than women to me." I didn't dwell on the thought very much at all, and at least six months passed before I became concerned. I ended up telling my parents, and a few other nasty issues (anxiety and OCD) popped up for some reason. I went to a Christian therapist who helped me through the anxiety and OCD, but I was just as attracted to men as I had been before.

I rocked along this way for years, praying that God would restore my sexuality to what it was "supposed to be", but sometime last year I became frustrated with having no progress. I went through a bit of a rough patch and started to question everything that I had been taught about homosexuality. I know that my God is a God of love, so why would he give me this "burden" and not allow it to pass after years of dedication and earnest prayer? I finally began to do some research on gay Christianity, and eventually stumbled upon a long, in depth, Biblically based article that gave a case for same-sex marriage. As I poured over the words, I realized that it addressed all of my concerns, frustrations, and reservations about the matter. I wasn't ready to be gay at the time though, so I put the idea on the back burner.

In the last couple of months, I have resisted the article and found additional support for gay marriage in my beloved faith. I finally realized that when the verses about homosexuality are read in the context that they were written, they do not condemn loving, monogamous same-sex marriage. I felt at peace when I realized that being gay was not some cruel burden but a blessing!

Even with all of this joy that I feel, only my mom, dad, and sister know that I am gay, but even they don't know that I have accepted it. While I know that my friends won't cut ties or anything, I feel like it could change our dynamic or cause unnecessary issues at this point. SO while I feel at peace with my decision, I am not quite ready to come out.

And that is my story. I came here because A: I really wanted to tell someone! B: I want to befriend other LGBT people. Even though we aren't all the same religion, sexuality, gender, or race, we are all human, and we all have an impact on our community. I believe that being in a diverse environment is the only way to become a well-rounded person! Just because we won't all agree doesn't mean that we can't be friends and discuss our differences in a positive fashion.

Other than that I am 16, a health nut, and I love rock climbing, writing, and alternative/indie music.

Thanks for reading!! :keke:
gnossienne

First name: James
Likes received: 6

Re: Allow me to introduce myself :-)

Unread postby Lochlan » 10th August, 2017, 9:19 pm

Hey James :keke: Now that's what I call an introduction! I feel like we've learned so much about you already! I think we'd be glad to have you here! You seem very open minded and I hope we can help you with any other sexuality related issues during your time with us :) Please join us in chat at some point so we can have a proper conversation! I'd love to get to know you a bit more, you seem pretty awesome :P
I'll find some real nice thing for my signature one day..
Lochlan

First name: Lochlan
Likes received: 44

Unread postby Pity » 10th August, 2017, 9:23 pm

Welcome to the forum, James :) Thanks for sharing your personal story! It is pretty insightful because I experienced something roughly similar. If you want to talk to other LGBT people, you should stop by our chat room whenever you notice it is active since a lot of our members like to hang out there. Also, I am quite respected and established here, so if you have any questions or need help, feel free to message me. I hope you enjoy the forum. :gay:
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

First name: Marcus
Likes received: 475

Unread postby MCarr » 10th August, 2017, 9:24 pm

Welcome to the forum! :keke:
That's some story you got there. I was never religious but I can understand the struggle a religious person goes through when he realizes he's gay. I'm glad you were able to find balance between your religion and who you are. Anyways, you should try the chat room, it's great for getting to know everyone. I hope you like it here as much as I do! :heart:
"I hate the word homophobia. It's not a phobia. You are not scared. You are an asshole"

MCarr
I won a bet with Kaspar

First name: Miguel
Likes received: 154

Unread postby Scherzy » 10th August, 2017, 9:32 pm

hey :)
ImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Scherzy
Community Ambassador

First name: Aiden
Likes received: 177

Unread postby Chriskali » 10th August, 2017, 9:35 pm

Welcome to the forum James! Thats so awesome that you have accepted your sexuality!
Chriskali
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

First name: Christian
Likes received: 40

Unread postby Ethán » 10th August, 2017, 9:37 pm

Welcome to the forum! That was an amazing intro xD We actually have a member who's really into rock climbing, Phoebe, although she hasn't been on in a little while.
Last edited by Ethán on 11th August, 2017, 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twink enthusiast
Ethán
Is shaking

First name: Ethan
Likes received: 634

Unread postby Tim. » 11th August, 2017, 12:30 am

Hey James. What a great introduction. Stick around :)

Tim.
White Tupac

First name: Tim
Likes received: 125

Unread postby Kaspar » 11th August, 2017, 2:59 am

Hey James, you seem like a great person :P You will surely like it here.
Proudly, the Captain of team Spirited Away
House Cup 2017

mattyk wrote:You are indeed all-round 100% certified awesome!

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar
The Kind Moderator / Lochlan's cat enthusiast

First name: Kacper
Likes received: 328

Unread postby Sokol » 11th August, 2017, 12:45 pm

Welcome James! Cool intro! Looking forward to meet u in the chat!
Sokol
Sokol The Cocks

Likes received: 59

Unread postby user1103 » 12th August, 2017, 10:13 am

Hey James! Welcome here :) ! What kind of alternative music do you listen to?
user1103

First name: John

Unread postby gnossienne » 16th August, 2017, 1:26 am

user1103 wrote:Hey James! Welcome here :) ! What kind of alternative music do you listen to?

The Head and the Heart, Cage the Elephant, Portugal The Man, and Beck are my favorites. Fortunately there is a fantastic local station that plays all of them!

I would like to thank everyone for the kind replies :)
gnossienne

First name: James
Likes received: 6

Recently active