Book of the Moment

Feeling happy, sad or excited about something? Seen a great movie? Write about your day in these long-running threads.

Re: Book of the Moment

Unread postby James » 18th July, 2015, 2:43 pm

Zach (with a zed) wrote:Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, by Susan Cain. It was a gift.

Hm, I actually watched her TED Talk on this topic a few months ago and thought about buying the book. I take it you'd recommend it highly?
Jhumpa Lahiri wrote:In death we're equal. It has that advantage over life.
[10:23 PM] HjGranger: Why read the Bible when you can have sex with other men?
[5:10 AM] Commander: Somebody help that gay!
[6:52 PM] JudgeDes: Omg Jake this is bigger than Ciara
[12:56 PM] Bourdain: Cum is like a reward after a job well done.
[9:11 PM] scottnesss: if i never see another gay again for a week ill be happy

ImageImageImage
James
corrupted by irony

Likes received: 4

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Jacketh » 18th July, 2015, 2:47 pm

The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason by Sam Harris. Such a great guy.
Jacketh

Likes received: 907

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
2 / 7

Unread postby Argent » 18th July, 2015, 6:29 pm

I'm almost finished Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee. I picked it up on Thursday and I've been hooked since I opened the first page. In all honesty, I find it more enjoyable than To Kill A Mockingbird. Mainly because it's not as heavy, really.
Argent

First name: Aaron
Likes received: 2

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Finch » 18th July, 2015, 6:44 pm

Judai wrote:I'm almost finished Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee. I picked it up on Thursday and I've been hooked since I opened the first page. In all honesty, I find it more enjoyable than To Kill A Mockingbird. Mainly because it's not as heavy, really.

I see this sounds interesting. I really can't wait to read it!
I finally found something to put here!

Finch
the mom friend

First name: Joseph
Likes received: 67

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Zach (with a zed) » 19th July, 2015, 2:32 am

James wrote:
Zach (with a zed) wrote:Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, by Susan Cain. It was a gift.

Hm, I actually watched her TED Talk on this topic a few months ago and thought about buying the book. I take it you'd recommend it highly?

Thanks, I actually hadn't seen that. The book seems alright so far, I'll let you know whether it's worth reading in a few days.
Zach (with a zed)

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby WhisperingWinds » 31st July, 2015, 10:22 pm

Conversion by Katherine Howe. It seemed interesting so I picked it up at the book store.
WhisperingWinds

First name: Anthony
Likes received: 8

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby kingtsemar » 31st July, 2015, 11:22 pm

A House in the Sky was interesting.

*I am currently reading Into the Wild. I heard there was also a book written by his sister or something?
kingtsemar

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby dilldill99 » 1st August, 2015, 12:12 am

Deadman Wonderland. Just finished volume 8 of 11. (By the way Deadman Wonderland is a
manga or graphic novel.)
dilldill99

First name: Dylan

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Rick97 » 6th August, 2015, 10:25 am

Going to continue Memorial Do Convebto by José Saramago. It's a mandatory book for year 12.
Rick97

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby rxxli » 6th August, 2015, 11:53 am

Young Bond: Silverfin
The first book in the Young Bond series. I know that it's meant for teenagers but it is in no way tame. I quite enjoyed the thing I must say. But it's been long since I last read a good mystery book. And this was just quite welcome in that regard.
rxxli
The Defender of Europe

First name: Andrej
Likes received: 53

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Stark » 30th August, 2015, 8:58 pm

Birdsong by Sebastian Faulkes

I'm about a hundred pages from finishing but I can say without doubt that this is one of my favourite books of all time. Incredibly good prose, great characterisation, a fantastic plot and subtle themes and nuances that would give a literature teacher an orgasm. Cannot recommend highly enough.
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Stark
Yekaterina Petrovna Zamolodchikova

First name: Joe
Likes received: 160

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby samstyan99 » 31st August, 2015, 6:00 am

Argent wrote:I'm almost finished Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee. I picked it up on Thursday and I've been hooked since I opened the first page. In all honesty, I find it more enjoyable than To Kill A Mockingbird. Mainly because it's not as heavy, really.

I can't wait to read that book! (I think I'm gonna wait until it's affordable to buy it in a bookstore though - where I live it's still really expensive :'D)
I'm getting these muffins ... I'm afraid they mean that I'm a Labrador and you're mouse ears. I think I like you. No. That's a lie. I know I like you. トトロ? トトロだ!... 絶対にあなたはトトロです... Scared of being called queer? Are you? Maybe... maybe not. And are ya? Queer? Gay. Very happy. I'm happy when I'm with you...
samstyan99

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Circles » 15th August, 2016, 3:04 am

Bump a bump.

I recently finished reading Brian Stavely's Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne. The first two books in the trilogy were excellent, in my opinion (perhaps it was just the situation, a long car ride, that I read them in). I read the first on a trip down to Florida, then forced my parents to stop at a Barnes & Noble so I could purchase the second book for the way home. The final book, however, was a bit of a let down. The pacing felt off, like a small amount of story was being stretched to fit a full book. I struggled to keep my interest in it, unlike the first two which I devoured. Additionally, the main threat shifted a number of times, and I feel the book lost its focus, or any real sense of urgency or import.

But, I think it's still worth a read if you enjoy fantasy. It's rather fun.
ImageImageImageImageoooo
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Circles
Twinkerbell

First name: Marshall
Likes received: 90

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Team: Odd Squad

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 15th August, 2016, 9:57 pm

I've just finished 'The Panama Papers'. Its written by the journalists who broke the story of the data leak from Mossack Fonseca, the Panamanian law firm that has helped the rich, powerful and criminal hide their money from the world. Its not an analysis of each person they found in the data, but more the story of how they worked on this mammoth task. From getting the first leaks and finding a Siemeins slush fund, to activating the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists and ths growth of their project from an office in Munich to more than 200 journalists in over 80 countries.

There are several stories they keep coming back to throughout the book; Siemens, Jürgen Mossack and Vladimir Putin's best friend. Its a fantastic read if you're interested in international corruption and tax fraud.
House Cup 2016 - Team Westeros
House Cup 2017 - Team Lion King
Year Cup 2017/18 - The Far East

TheBrunswickian
Lazarus

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 590

:
Tier III
Progress to next tier:
3 / 14

Unread postby Strider » 4th September, 2016, 9:42 am

'A History of Central Banking and the Enslavement of Mankind' - by Stephen Mitford Goodson.

Another book I'm reading at the moment is 'The Last Tsar: The Life and Death of Nicholas II' - by Edvard Radzinsky.
Strider
Veritas vos liberabit

Likes received: 7

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Roulé 305 » 7th September, 2016, 2:13 pm

I was rereading grimms fairytales
Roulé 305
formerly TheNerdInABowTie

First name: Rory
Likes received: 37

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
2 / 7

Unread postby Strider » 30th December, 2016, 3:27 pm

The Golden Dawn: The Original Account of the Teachings, Rites, and Ceremonies of the Hermetic Order
Strider
Veritas vos liberabit

Likes received: 7

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Sturgeon » 12th January, 2017, 1:05 pm

Arrived today. I do like reading about real life killers. I thoroughly enjoyed Rose West: The Making of a Monster.
Sturgeon
Road to Ruin

First name: Sam
Likes received: 166
Location: cool britannia (but also Lake District and Sheffield)

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby JonathanT88 » 12th January, 2017, 1:23 pm

Eric Hobsbawm's "The Age of Revolution."

10/10 Marxist historiography. Would recommend for anyone who wants a history of bourgeois oppression and the plight of the working class from 1789-1848.
Gudrun wrote:

"How many times have I told you? Homosexuality is only to be used for revolutionary purposes!"

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImage
JonathanT88
Horny Jonathan of the Homosexual Intifada

First name: Jonathan (duh.)
Likes received: 785

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby Sturgeon » 12th January, 2017, 1:29 pm

JonathanT88 wrote:Eric Hobsbawm's "The Age of Revolution."

10/10 Marxist historiography. Would recommend for anyone who wants a history of bourgeois oppression and the plight of the working class from 1789-1848.

I read Hobsbawm's 'The Age of Empire' for my history coursework. Loved it because his reasoning for the introduction of the social welfare as simply being to undermine the labour movement is very easy to criticise.
Sturgeon
Road to Ruin

First name: Sam
Likes received: 166
Location: cool britannia (but also Lake District and Sheffield)

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

PreviousNext

Recently active