Eurovision 2017

The place for your music, films, television shows, and all things pop culture.

Re: Eurovision 2017

Unread postby ireland » 14th May, 2017, 2:06 am

I'm so happy to see Portugal win and to go to Lisbon in 2018!
ireland

First name: Connor

Team: The Far East

Unread postby Tim. » 14th May, 2017, 9:52 am

Great win for Portugal. They had the momentum going in and my win prediction was correct. some say his winning speech was pretentious, but I disagree. He makes a point that music is becoming increasingly cookie cutter and generic. Not just in Eurovision, but in the general pop sphere - MUSIC THIS YEAR IS TRULY DIABOLICAL- Bon Appétit anyone? . it was apparent tonight with just how forgetTable the majority of the second half was and my god did it drag.

My top 5 was pretty close. Surprised to see Moldova make it. I really didn't like Sweden this year but not really surprised. Glad Belgium was in there as predicted. And Bulgaria in second was no surprise.

Italy lost more momentum this week than I imagined, doing mediocre in the televote and jury.

Australia was surprisingly high. No idea why the juries liked that so much I solidly expected it would be on the second half of the scoreboard.

UK was in my projected range of 10-15 at 15th. I was disappointed with the performance it was overhyped to be something so much more visually impressive than it was. In reality it was just another number in the labourous middle half.

Germany was terrible and deserved their place at the bottom. Also I thought sampling was against the rules? The music pretty much matched titanium exactly, I played them simultaneously to see! Though to be fair I'm being a bit hypocritical as I can think of songs the last two years that have appeared to sample, yet I liked them so didn't care. Netherlands 2015 and Belgium 2016.

The hosting was awful. Worse than Vienna, which often receives criticism in this regard. I swear the whole thing took an hour longer because the hosts couldn't string a coherent sentence together. Contrasts poorly to the efficient and entertaining show we got in Stockholm. Alex, Vulva and Timur will go down as the worst Eurovision hosts of the 2010s.

Love the new voting format! Jury's can't hide behind the televote anymore. They are meant to be professional and impartial. So when two crappy acts give each other the twelve points because their neighbours they deserve the boos Greece and Cyprus got.

I follow no sports so gonna miss all the stat analysing and strategic thinking Eurovision week allows. Bring on Lisbon 2018!
Last edited by Tim. on 14th May, 2017, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tim.
The Southern Moderator

First name: Tim
Likes received: 142

Unread postby Jacketh » 14th May, 2017, 10:12 am

I didn't really like his speech to be honest. He's completely right about music and the charts etc... but preaching to Eurovision about music being "real" and stuff...I dunno. It's more of an entertainment show, and Eurovision does need fireworks and up-tempo music. It's a stage show. I'm fine with entries like Salvador's and 1944, and they're worthy winners. But if there was 26 songs of that style, it just would not be Eurovison.

Sweden was pretty basic and I'm not sure how it did so well.

Italy came 6th in the Juries and public vote. I feel like it did deserved to do better than that, but yeah - it flopped completely.

UK deserved to do a lot better and I'm finally starting to believe the "everyone hates the UK" stuff. I see no logical explanation for why Molly and Lucie both flopped dramatically (both were 5th in the odds before hand),. I accept most of the time we send stuff that deserves to be near the bottom, but we've sent two really good performances in the last four years now and they've done much poorer than expected.

The hosting wasn't amazing, yeah. I didn't think they were completely awful though. I think I preferred it over Vienna tbh.

I'm sad for Kristian as he is so cute and I wanted him to win. He would have actually won most years. He scored more than 1944 last year. Salvador has beaten Alexander Rybak's record for points in 2009 (using the old voting system to judge it), and Kristian actually got very close to it as well. He's probably the highest scoring runner up ever. He just had to come up against the new record setter :rip: He was crying on Bulgarian TV :( The gap between Moldova and Bulgaria was nearly 300 points. They were streets ahead.

I cannot understand how Australia finished 4th with the Juries. It makes no sense whatsoever. Completely wrong.
Jacketh
Admin

First name: Jack
Likes received: 599

Unread postby Rwinter96 » 14th May, 2017, 11:58 am

I think that Portugal was a deserving winner although I did not expect it to win by that much or to be the favourite with the televoters. I am amazed how poorly Italy did as it's probably one of the few songs I'll still be listening to in a month's time, it was fun and different in a year of forgettable songs which paled in comparison to the past 2 years. Spain and Germany deserved the bottom 2 spots but I'm glad neither scored nul points and happy Germany weren't last for a third straight year. The UK song performed about as I expected with the juries but I am concerned at how few people voted for it. This is also true of Austria, I was devastated for Nathan when they announced he didn't get any televote points because it was a great little cute song and he's infinitely handsome.

As far as the presenting goes, it did feel like they were very stop/start and their lack of fluidity with the English language really hindered their hosting abilities, which was a shame since the actual show was well staged and had a lot of potential. My biggest issue with it all though (Graham Norton pointed this out too) is that their motto for the show was "Celebrate Diversity" and they then proceeded to have the show be hosted by 3 white men who I'm assuming are all cishet.

I am a fan of the new voting system (even though it cost Dami the win last year) and I do hope it stays for future contests because it does show the disparity between the juries and public votes whilst not allowing the juries to just say their neighbour's shit song was worthy of 12 points without a chorus of boos, even if it does mean some national spokespeople try to get more time than they should by waffling on and on about irrelevant BS.

Overall however, I enjoyed the show and i can't wait for Portugal 2018
Rwinter96

First name: Ryan
Likes received: 26

Team: The Far East

Unread postby KrisCross » 14th May, 2017, 12:24 pm

Not here for you coming for Katy's best song in a decade, Tim. :err:

While I was a big fan of Portugal and Salvador himself, I was actually quite disappointed by his speech. This kind of musical elitism goes against what music is for me. It can be fireworks, it can be anything. There's something out there for everyone, so who cares that pop music is all the same when millions of people can brainlessly dance and have the time of their lives to it?

Jacketh wrote:I'm sad for Kristian as he is so cute and I wanted him to win. He would have actually won most years. He scored more than 1944 last year. Salvador has beaten Alexander Rybak's record for points in 2009 (using the old voting system to judge it), and Kristian actually got very close to it as well. He's probably the highest scoring runner up ever. He just had to come up against the new record setter :rip: He was crying on Bulgarian TV :( The gap between Moldova and Bulgaria was nearly 300 points. They were streets ahead.

I liked him until he posed a threat to Salvador. I thought I would get over it, but now he reminds me of those horrible 12yo's that pose and bite their lips in insta videos like 20yo wannabe models.
KrisCross
Senior Moderator

Likes received: 244

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 14th May, 2017, 10:09 pm

Tim. wrote:Great win for Portugal. They had the momentum going in and my win prediction was correct. some say his winning speech was pretentious, but I disagree. He makes a point that music is becoming increasingly cookie cutter and generic. Not just in Eurovision, but in the general pop sphere - MUSIC THIS YEAR IS TRULY DIABOLICAL- Bon Appétit anyone? . it was apparent tonight with just how forgettable the majority of the second half was and my god did it drag.

EXACTLY. I don't think he was saying that ALL music is terrible and bland and boring, he was saying that there needs to be more diversity in the music we listen to. He didn't say that all the other songs were generic, meaningless crap - but lets be real, after a while women in white dresses missing notes on a power ballard gets repetitive, boring, and frankly shit. The saturation of one kind of music will ultimately bring the quality of everything down. Eurovision is a performance, yes. But it is also a SONG Contest. That is the point. If the music is shit, a good performance won't save it. That's why I liked Armenia and Belgium this year; the styles were very different from what we normally get. Italy had just another Europop song with a staging gimmick and a silly dance - how Eurovision! What Portugal's win shows is that something different will do well - in fact the best Eurovision has ever seen! If it were under the old voting system, Portugal would have gotten more points than Norway 2009, so that shows you something. No one is saying "more of Portugal's style", I think they're saying "make the generic Eurovision stuff interesting again!"

The quality of song this year was so lackluster. There needs to be better, more interesting songs with people who can actually sing to perform them.
House Cup 2016 - Team Westeros
House Cup 2017 - Team Lion King
Year Cup 2017/18 - The Far East

TheBrunswickian
Data Collector, Community Ambassador

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 348

Previous

Recently active