Doctor Who - #Doctor13

The place for your music, films, television shows, and all things pop culture.

Re: Doctor Who

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 1st April, 2017, 9:17 am

Bill will be the first gay series permanent companion. Jack, Ianto, Vastra and Jenny, they were never season regulars - they were recurring/special guest characters. Clara was never openly bi, but it was obvious she was - she made out with Jane Austen! Its great that we've got some more LGBT characters in Doctor Who, I'm all for it.
House Cup 2016 - Team Westeros
House Cup 2017 - Team Lion King

TheBrunswickian
Data Collector, Community Ambassador

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 338

Unread postby KrisCross » 1st April, 2017, 9:57 am

Yeah, she'll be the first main companion who is not just 'hinted' at, so I imagine it'll be more impactful than with the recurring LGBT characters we've had before.
KrisCross
Senior Moderator

Likes received: 226

Unread postby KrisCross » 17th April, 2017, 1:06 pm

The first episode was nice. Nothing really special and the storyline was kinda flimsy, but Bill was great and the Doctor and Nardole settling at a uni to guard some secret vault changes up the dynamic of the show a bit and made it a good introduction.

How do you guys feel about the Kris Marshall rumours though? I don't know him, so he could just as well make a great Doctor, but I'd be disappointed if it was true. The previous few Doctors worked because they were different enough from their predecessors, but Marshall seems too safe a bet. Apparently they were literally looking for a Tennant-type, which has me slightly worried. Not to mention they have the perfect window for a female Doctor now and I'd be kinda disappointed if they waste it.
KrisCross
Senior Moderator

Unread postby George » 17th April, 2017, 1:22 pm

I loved the first episode, think it paced itself really well and the effects/introduction was really good. Infact, I think that its design made it quite good for both newcomers to the series, and returning fans - hence The Pilot - and I look forward to the rest of the series.

Not sure how I feel about Kris Marshall as doctor, however.
Image Hi, I'm George. Never met Me before? Image
George
Diaper Rash

First name: George
Likes received: 102

Unread postby BucketTech » 17th April, 2017, 1:32 pm

The start of the episode was great. I liked the little exchanges between the Doctor and Bill but I felt like the rest of the episode was a bit rushed. As if they just wanted to fit in as much as they could in. The dalek bit was a bit silly. They just threw them in because they could.

I think Kris Marshall is a good choice (if the rumours are true). I imagine he'll be like his Death in Paradise character who is a bit awkward and slightly wacky. To be honest, it seems likely to be him. Having looked at his imdb page, he isn't acting in anything else.

A female Doctor would've been interesting; I know Phoebe Waller-Bridge was who people were betting on, and - despite not seeing her in anything - I thought she seemed to fit the role. However, I don't think it will be her (if the Kris Marshall rumours are false), as she will doubtless be busy with that Han Solo movie. Natalie Dormer was also high in the list (although she is busy with other things too).

In my opinion, I was expecting it to be Richard Madden. He had already been considered (although his relationship with Jenna Coleman would've made things awkward) and he is pretty much free in terms of other acting gigs. If it wasn't him, I also expected James Norton because he'd finished with Grantchester.

Whoever they pick, I imagine that there will always be those who like or dislike them, but I think that anyone who they're considering could be a good Doctor.
BucketTech
The Nun

First name: Tyler
Likes received: 21

Unread postby KrisCross » 17th April, 2017, 2:00 pm

BucketTech wrote:The dalek bit was a bit silly. They just threw them in because they could.
I think they contractually have to appear at least once a season because they sold the rights to them at some point, so I can't really blame them for doing it like this. :lol:

BucketTech wrote:I think Kris Marshall is a good choice (if the rumours are true). I imagine he'll be like his Death in Paradise character who is a bit awkward and slightly wacky. To be honest, it seems likely to be him. Having looked at his imdb page, he isn't acting in anything else.

A female Doctor would've been interesting; I know Phoebe Waller-Bridge was who people were betting on, and - despite not seeing her in anything - I thought she seemed to fit the role. However, I don't think it will be her (if the Kris Marshall rumours are false), as she will doubtless be busy with that Han Solo movie. Natalie Dormer was also high in the list (although she is busy with other things too).

In my opinion, I was expecting it to be Richard Madden. He had already been considered (although his relationship with Jenna Coleman would've made things awkward) and he is pretty much free in terms of other acting gigs. If it wasn't him, I also expected James Norton because he'd finished with Grantchester.

Whoever they pick, I imagine that there will always be those who like or dislike them, but I think that anyone who they're considering could be a good Doctor.

Well I could be wrong, I haven't been let down by their choices for the past few Doctors so we'll see. It's just the first time that my initial reaction wasn't all too positive, I might have been in on the female Doctor bandwagon too heavily already. :lol:
KrisCross
Senior Moderator

Unread postby KrisCross » 20th May, 2017, 4:57 pm

Okay holy shit.

This season started out simple, but it feels like Moffat is truly setting up a grand finale for Capaldi and himself.
KrisCross
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Togetik » 21st May, 2017, 3:16 am

Moffat is writing this season? I don't exactly have high hope for a lesbian character under his rule, but I guess there's always guest writers
Togetik

Likes received: 79

Unread postby KrisCross » 21st May, 2017, 6:26 am

Well you're underestimating him then. Bill is actually quite well received so far and rightfully so.
KrisCross
Senior Moderator

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 21st May, 2017, 7:19 am

For once, this polt arch that Moffat has built, is actually starting to make sense.
House Cup 2016 - Team Westeros
House Cup 2017 - Team Lion King

TheBrunswickian
Data Collector, Community Ambassador

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 338

Unread postby Togetik » 22nd May, 2017, 10:19 am

KrisCross wrote:Well you're underestimating him then. Bill is actually quite well received so far and rightfully so.

I do like some stuff Moffat makes, but he has a very obvious.... fetish(?) for bi women that is really uncomfortable to watch. If he's managed to handle a lesbian well so far without dipping into gross territories with it then i'm glad, I just don't really have high hopes given what's come before.

I haven't managed to catch much of this season beyond the latter 60% of the first episode, but i'm interested to go into it with how high the praise seems to be
Togetik

Likes received: 79

Unread postby Squipel » 22nd May, 2017, 10:32 am

I liked it till they got Peter Capaldi and the fact that he's 55 and his assisstnat is like 20-something. :/
Squipel
King of the Gingers

First name: James
Likes received: 17

Unread postby KrisCross » 22nd May, 2017, 1:01 pm

Togetik wrote:I do like some stuff Moffat makes, but he has a very obvious.... fetish(?) for bi women that is really uncomfortable to watch. If he's managed to handle a lesbian well so far without dipping into gross territories with it then i'm glad, I just don't really have high hopes given what's come before.

I haven't managed to catch much of this season beyond the latter 60% of the first episode, but i'm interested to go into it with how high the praise seems to be

He does like to have important female characters joke about a past gay fling, but so far Bill has been 100% gay and it's handled quite nicely imo.

So far some of the standalones have been just okay, but the overarching plot is really interesting this time, as it changes up the dynamic a bit. Consequences from one episode carry over into the other and we're getting a 'first' three-parter, which surprisingly happens in the middle of the season.

hellojwt wrote:I liked it till they got Peter Capaldi and the fact that he's 55 and his assisstnat is like 20-something. :/

Why should his age matter? Unlike in Tennant's era, there has been no romantic subplot between the Doctor and his companions whatsoever, so why bothered by the age difference? The Doctor has always been played by older men, Tennant and especially Matt Smith were just atypically young.
KrisCross
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Squipel » 22nd May, 2017, 1:06 pm

fair do's they just tend to have some sort of romantic thing going etc…
Squipel
King of the Gingers

Unread postby George » 22nd May, 2017, 2:19 pm

I don't like the whole blindness thing. Reallllyyyyyy underwhelm's his ability, I guess, to come across as actually in control.

(also dont like cliff hanger x )
Image Hi, I'm George. Never met Me before? Image
George
Diaper Rash

First name: George
Likes received: 102

Unread postby KrisCross » 22nd May, 2017, 3:26 pm

That's why I think it's so interesting, he has always had this god-like status, coming out of everything unharmed. Him being earthbound and now blind makes the Doctor more relatable and the season less formulaic imo. It's nice to see him not in control of everything for once.

It was also woven really well into they way the Monks were introduced, they ran the simulations and chose the moment the Doctor is at his weakest to invade. I just really like how this season's plot is building up. :P (Okay, Missy being in the vault was super predictable, but we all know there's a plot twist coming)
KrisCross
Senior Moderator

Unread postby Squipel » 23rd May, 2017, 5:40 am

Wait? the doctor is stuck on earth and can't see?!
Squipel
King of the Gingers

Unread postby TwoQuartersAndAHeart » 3rd June, 2017, 3:32 pm

Well

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Damn I actually really liked that episode. Will that be unpopular opinion?
I don't know but ever since Clara became a companion the show's quality went a bit downhill... but this episode was the best in a while quality wise in my opinion.
I really like Bill as a companion now too. Definitely not my favourite, but a lot better than Miss Mary Sue Clara.
Honestly one thing is that this season seems very predictable. They could've been at least a tiny bit less obvious with who is in the vault. And mark my words the season will go like this: Missy is faking feeling remorseful, the Doctor will be tricked into freeing her, she'll kill the Doctor so he regenerates (FOR REAL this time, not all these regeneration teases), unleashes mayhem, Doctor stops her, banishes her somewhere. Season ends.
One tiny thing I noticed is that when the world events were flashing in the room, I saw multiple rainbow flags and when Bill's memories were shown I saw it there too :D.
TwoQuartersAndAHeart

Unread postby KrisCross » 24th June, 2017, 6:19 pm

Okay say what you want about this season and its lackluster latter half, but World Enough and Time was simply amazing to the point where I wonder why not every episode gets produced with this much attention and care. This was Doctor Who as Doctor Who should be.

The only thing undercutting it a bit was that they already spoiled what could have been one of the most mind-blowing reveals of the return of two old villains during promotion.
KrisCross
Senior Moderator

Unread postby KrisCross » 3rd July, 2017, 11:48 am

I AM SO SAD
KrisCross
Senior Moderator

PreviousNext

Recently active