What are you studying at University?

Off-topic posts go in here; this forum is only loosely moderated.

Have you chosen a major/course?

Yes, and I have finished the course.
5%
Yes, and I am currently doing the course.
45%
Yes, I am planning on a course.
36%
No, I have not decided yet.
5%
No, I am not / have not done a course.
9%

Total votes : 22

Re: What are you studying at University?

Unread postby Adyuto » 26th April, 2018, 10:25 am

Woollyhoolly wrote:Stem gays for the win in this thread!

What do you all think about studying abroad? Some people I know wouldn't leave their hometown for a million dollars, while others (read:me) cant wait to get away far and fast enough

I'm contemplating studying abroad. I'm somewhat interested in the intersection of STEM and national security and know that the U.S. State Department sponsors study abroad programs for STEM majors to learn national security languages, so that's something that interests me. I'm not sure if I were to apply to the program which national security language I would prefer learning, but thats a discussion for another time.
Adyuto
Mafia A Rank

Likes received: 54

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
5 / 7

Team: Cheer Team

Mafia A Rank

Unread postby Kaspar » 29th April, 2018, 10:23 am

Woollyhoolly wrote:Stem gays for the win in this thread!

What do you all think about studying abroad? Some people I know wouldn't leave their hometown for a million dollars, while others (read:me) cant wait to get away far and fast enough

Honestly, my town is a bit of a shithole (even though it's quite beautiful and people are great) - there just isn't that much space and options to develop, so I'm not planning on sticking around here in the future.
Proudly, the Captain of team Spirited Away
House Cup 2017

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar
Lochlan's cat enthusiast

First name: Kacper
Likes received: 702

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
4 / 7

Unread postby Woollyhoolly » 30th April, 2018, 7:50 am

Kaspar wrote:shithole (even though it's quite beautiful and people are great) -

Is that your scat feitsh coming out Kacpie
Made you look

Trudeau's my daddy
Woollyhoolly
Classy

First name: Tim
Likes received: 156

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
2 / 7

Unread postby FirePhantom » 30th April, 2018, 8:35 am

I started out studying the humanities with an eye to becoming a history teacher, because I had one in high school that left a great impression on me and I wanted to use his methods to bring more people into a love of the subject. But I found the subjectivity to be incredibly frustrating, with assignments being marked as if there were only one right answer. So I switched to computer science, but then found the subject matter really dry and uninteresting, without much benefit to any skills or anything; it was all theory, and not even good high-level theory that could be widely applied. Then I switched to physics and mathematics, but found I much preferred the mathematics part. Apparently completely the opposite of most people, evidenced by the note at the beginning of my general-relativity/astrophysics module, which went something like 'don't worry, once you get through the dry math it becomes really interesting' — I found the math to be far more interesting! :lol:

So now I'm studying mathematics exclusively, although much of it is couched in terms of real-world problems, like fluid mechanics (my last module) or various stochastic scenarios like queueing, genetics, epidemics (my current module).

I really wish I could go back and just do math from the beginning, because now I'm doing high-level stuff without having had as much practice as I ought to have had in the basics (like integrating an expression quickly, or spotting a useful algebraic simplification). I have a new appreciation of the American method of having the first year of university be very general and only afterwards having students choose a specific discipline.

When I'm finally finished with my à la carte Open Degree, I'll probably do a named degree in mathematics so I can then do a masters, if I don't otherwise stumble on a worthwhile career or a business venture that takes off.

Lesson: try and know what you really want to do early on!
FirePhantom
Valar Dohaeris

First name: Brenden
Likes received: 68

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby JonathanT88 » 30th April, 2018, 2:52 pm

Gonna be going History at Oxford come September. Should be fun. I look forward to becoming an evil aristocrat.
Gudrun wrote:

"How many times have I told you? Homosexuality is only to be used for revolutionary purposes!"

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImage
JonathanT88
Horny Jonathan of the Homosexual Intifada

First name: Jonathan (duh.)
Likes received: 785

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby Adyuto » 2nd May, 2018, 12:45 am

JonathanT88 wrote:Gonna be going History at Oxford come September. Should be fun. I look forward to becoming an evil aristocrat.

Can I be your statistician that helps devise ways to sc*w over your subordinates?
Adyuto
Mafia A Rank

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
5 / 7

Mafia A Rank

Unread postby Kaspar » 2nd May, 2018, 4:22 am

JonathanT88 wrote:Gonna be going History at Oxford come September. Should be fun. I look forward to becoming an evil aristocrat.

Having come from a peasant family of farmers, this deeply offends me.
House Cup 2017

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar
Lochlan's cat enthusiast

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
4 / 7

Unread postby Shayla » 2nd May, 2018, 5:32 am

Since I'm a youngin and still need to graduate high school, my list is still pretty broad when it comes to the courses I want to study.

As a high school student I'm currently studying my Certificate II in Music Industry and a general class in Wearable Art, as well as taking an Italian course for my electives which means an extra exam in a few weeks time :( .

I'm considering criminal justice and possibly going into a career in law enforcement since it's been an interesting career choice to me for quite a while now and the aspect of helping people in need is one that I definitely want to pursue.

Music wise, I'm considering an Advanced Diploma of Music Industry or a Bachelor of Music since being a musician/singer has been a dream of mine since I was a young kiddo :D

Also if I were to go for music I'd also go for a Diploma of Live Production and Technical Services and major in costume and prop design :P

Other than that, I've been looking at a Bachelor of Engineering Honours (BE(Hons)) in Chemical and Metallurgical Engineering because of the pure and unwavering interest I have in Chemical Engineering as well as all the little ins and outs of the careers :keke:

Well those are all my potential courses that I may or may not pursue.
Certified Mother
Shayla
Certified Vajina Fan

First name: Shayla
Likes received: 60

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Team: Odd Squad

Unread postby Kaspar » 2nd May, 2018, 5:45 am

Shayla wrote:I'm considering criminal justice and possibly going into a career in law enforcement

House Cup 2017

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar
Lochlan's cat enthusiast

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
4 / 7

Unread postby Shayla » 2nd May, 2018, 5:49 am

Kaspar wrote:
Shayla wrote:I'm considering criminal justice and possibly going into a career in law enforcement

The only thing illegal here is the kinkshaming :argh:
Certified Mother
Shayla
Certified Vajina Fan

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby Shayla » 2nd May, 2018, 5:58 am

Officer Shayla here to arrest all illegal kinkshamers, Kasp you're goin in the slammer
Hope you have somebody to bail you out :finger:
Certified Mother
Shayla
Certified Vajina Fan

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby Kaspar » 2nd May, 2018, 6:03 am

Shayla wrote:Officer Shayla here to arrest all illegal kinkshamers, Kasp you're goin in the slammer

Lochlaaaaaaaaan
House Cup 2017

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar
Lochlan's cat enthusiast

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
4 / 7

Unread postby Lochlan » 2nd May, 2018, 8:31 am

Kaspar wrote:
Shayla wrote:Officer Shayla here to arrest all illegal kinkshamers, Kasp you're goin in the slammer

Lochlaaaaaaaaan

Your prison warden can't bail you out, time to lock you up xo
Nerd Herd Team Captain
Click Icon For Nerd Herd Points Breakdown

Lochlan
BOT Hunter

First name: Lochlan
Likes received: 292

:
Tier II
Progress to next tier:
5 / 7

Team: Nerd Herd

Unread postby Kaspar » 2nd May, 2018, 8:42 am

Lochlan wrote:
Kaspar wrote:

Lochlaaaaaaaaan

Lock me up, dad :eli:
House Cup 2017

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar
Lochlan's cat enthusiast

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
4 / 7

Unread postby Shayla » 2nd May, 2018, 9:09 am

Kaspar wrote:
Lochlan wrote:
Kaspar wrote:

Lochlaaaaaaaaan

Lock me up, dad :eli:

Not in my good lesbian jail
Certified Mother
Shayla
Certified Vajina Fan

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby FirePhantom » 2nd May, 2018, 8:02 pm

My stepdad has been in criminal justice for most of his life. He’s currently a professor of forensics, and finishing off a PhD at 50-something. His expertise is fingerprints, but his PhD thesis is on the effect of body cameras on policing. Before getting his masters in his 40s he was variously a small-town officer, deputy sheriff, and military forensics contractor (training soldiers how to collect evidence from the battlefield or terror acts, and not ruin any).

If you’d like any advice or information, I can ask him on your behalf. :)
FirePhantom
Valar Dohaeris

First name: Brenden
Likes received: 68

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Adyuto » 22nd June, 2018, 5:53 pm

FirePhantom wrote:I started out studying the humanities with an eye to becoming a history teacher, because I had one in high school that left a great impression on me and I wanted to use his methods to bring more people into a love of the subject. But I found the subjectivity to be incredibly frustrating, with assignments being marked as if there were only one right answer. So I switched to computer science, but then found the subject matter really dry and uninteresting, without much benefit to any skills or anything; it was all theory, and not even good high-level theory that could be widely applied. Then I switched to physics and mathematics, but found I much preferred the mathematics part. Apparently completely the opposite of most people, evidenced by the note at the beginning of my general-relativity/astrophysics module, which went something like 'don't worry, once you get through the dry math it becomes really interesting' — I found the math to be far more interesting! :lol:

So now I'm studying mathematics exclusively, although much of it is couched in terms of real-world problems, like fluid mechanics (my last module) or various stochastic scenarios like queueing, genetics, epidemics (my current module).

I really wish I could go back and just do math from the beginning, because now I'm doing high-level stuff without having had as much practice as I ought to have had in the basics (like integrating an expression quickly, or spotting a useful algebraic simplification). I have a new appreciation of the American method of having the first year of university be very general and only afterwards having students choose a specific discipline.

When I'm finally finished with my à la carte Open Degree, I'll probably do a named degree in mathematics so I can then do a masters, if I don't otherwise stumble on a worthwhile career or a business venture that takes off.

Lesson: try and know what you really want to do early on!

How am I just finding out that an admin is a fellow math major?
Adyuto
Mafia A Rank

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
5 / 7

Mafia A Rank

Unread postby Fadi » 24th June, 2018, 2:04 pm

Computing with specialization in Computer Science at Trent University Canada (I'm going far away, good xD)
Odd Squad Image Odd Squad
Fadi
Compulsive Hugger

First name: Fady
Likes received: 75

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
3 / 7

Unread postby Rwinter96 » 24th June, 2018, 3:21 pm

Reading all of these makes me glad I am pushing myself to go back and give uni a second chance, now I just need to actually put everything in place
Rwinter96

First name: Ryan
Likes received: 49

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby Lochlan » 24th June, 2018, 5:03 pm

Since we've started our university applications now, I actually have my 5 choices ready for unis! They will possibly change with time but it's fun to look at the possibilities!
My current 5 is:
    University of Oxford (Trinity College)
    University College London
    University of Warwick
    University of Edinburgh
    Royal Holloway, University of London
Which isn't really interesting, but it's exciting! To me at least :P
Nerd Herd Team Captain
Click Icon For Nerd Herd Points Breakdown

Lochlan
BOT Hunter

First name: Lochlan
Likes received: 292

:
Tier II
Progress to next tier:
5 / 7

PreviousNext

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: Amadeus, CommonCrawl [Bot], Flower, Gavin, Google [Bot], Google Web Preview [Bot], ItsMeJack, Linkdex [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Michael15, Mojeek [Bot], Olivurh, Proximic [Bot], Rwinter96 and 113 guests