Public Consultation on introducing an official GTF Discord chat/server

Off-topic posts go in here; this forum is only loosely moderated.

Public Consultation on introducing an official GTF Discord chat/server

Unread postby Jacketh » 20th August, 2017, 12:36 pm

Hi guys :)

A lot of requests have been made to make a GTF Discord Server, or to replace the current chat with a Discord. Largely due to the House Cup and the way people have been using the Discord server for general conversation and chatting - and this has impacted our current chats activity. Last night, for example, about 7 of us was chatting in the House Cup server whilst nobody was in chat.

We do not know right now if it would replace our current chat, or be in addition to. But if it is in addition to, it is likely to kill off and make the current chat more inactive than it currently is.

We're discussing among Moderators and CA's how practical it would be to implement, how we would implement it exactly, and how popular it would be. We would like your thoughts to aid us.

Thanks!

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
Jacketh
Admin

First name: Jack
Likes received: 540

Re: Public Consultation on introducing an Official GTF Discord Chat/Se

Unread postby Vortex » 20th August, 2017, 12:38 pm

I mean, I guess y not. GTF used to use tinychat, but then moved to an official chat client because everyone was just fapping because it was easier to moderate. I don't see any problem with making this next step.
ImageImageImage

Ebsy wrote:Leave it to losers on Twitter to complain about being pandered to. You're supposed to complain when someone panders to others, not to you.
[4:46 AM] Saint Drogo: Also, you've got a strangely appealing asshole. I'll give you that much.
[6:03 AM] Pity: Omg... stop making me sound like a racist idiot
[4:51 AM] Scherzy: jerk off to clinton in the safety of your own bedroom luv
[2:56 PM] Saint Drogo: Literally let me use my cock as a paintbrush and my unborn children as paint.
Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

First name: Da'Neil Boxley
Likes received: 258

Unread postby boiii » 20th August, 2017, 12:39 pm

I feel like having a discord server would make the forum itself more inactive.
boiii
oh shit waddup

First name: Kamiel
Likes received: 187

Unread postby Rwinter96 » 20th August, 2017, 12:40 pm

I think that it would allow more people to be involved in chatting because mobile Discord is nowhere near as bad as mobile GTF, and in my opinion anything that can expand the number of users in the same chat server all getting to know each other and hang out is a positive any day of the week
Rwinter96

First name: Ryan
Likes received: 26

Unread postby Jacketh » 20th August, 2017, 12:40 pm

boiii wrote:I feel like having a discord server would make the forum itself more inactive.

This is something I was considering, too. Discord would remove the need to actually come to the site.

There are things like this that need to be considered.

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
Jacketh
Admin

First name: Jack
Likes received: 540

Unread postby joshe » 20th August, 2017, 12:42 pm

I think a discord chat would be a great idea! The current chat is lacking in features at the moment. I think if you made a discord, you would have to get rid of the chat we have now, I don't think they'll be enough people for two chats. I hope the discord plan goes forward, as I would love a cleaner look and I would have it on my phone!
joshe

First name: JOSHUA
Likes received: 16

Unread postby Rwinter96 » 20th August, 2017, 12:42 pm

Jacketh wrote:
boiii wrote:I feel like having a discord server would make the forum itself more inactive.

This is something I was considering, too. Discord would remove the need to actually come to the site.

There will always be those who want to use the forums rather than the Discord, and whilst those will definitely decrease I do believe it won't have that big of an impact
Rwinter96

First name: Ryan
Likes received: 26

Re: Public Consultation on introducing an official GTF Discord chat/se

Unread postby Sokol » 20th August, 2017, 12:44 pm

Doesn't this make it harder for new users to get to know people before joining the forum? Since some users first join the currect chat and after talking to people, they decide to join the forum.
Sokol
Sokol The Cocks

Likes received: 68

Unread postby Abdeltyf » 20th August, 2017, 12:50 pm

Not saying that I don't like the current chat host, I met a lot of people in that blue themed old-ish server :P But I joined Spirited Away just a few days after I joined GTF - I got introduced to Discord pretty much at the same time to 123flashchat. But as someone who uses his phone much more often than his laptop (especially during school), and Discord has pretty good features in its mobile app, I am totally up for it. What would happen to the guest feature though?

:keke:
Abdeltyf
Formerly "Winpartium"

First name: Abdeltyf
Likes received: 25

Unread postby KrisCross » 20th August, 2017, 1:07 pm

In what ways would Discord it make the forum itself more inactive that the current chat doesn't?
KrisCross
Senior Moderator

Likes received: 226

Unread postby boiii » 20th August, 2017, 1:10 pm

KrisCross wrote:

In what ways would Discord it make the forum itself more inactive that the current chat doesn't?

You wouldn't need to go to the forum to go to the chat. Discord starts automatically if I start my pc (though not for everybody if they change it)
It is also more mobile. So you wouldn't even need to be on your computer to chat.
Image Image

ImageImage

Winner of the best friendship award together with Kaspar ^.^ and also that other one we don't talk about.
boiii
oh shit waddup

PostThis post was deleted by KrisCross on 20th August, 2017, 1:17 pm.

Unread postby KrisCross » 20th August, 2017, 1:17 pm

boiii wrote:You wouldn't need to go to the forum to go to the chat. Discord starts automatically if I start my pc (though not for everybody if they change it)
It is also more mobile. So you wouldn't even need to be on your computer to chat.

I think most people wouldn't download Discord on their laptop, if the link is provided as a tab like the current chat is I think it wouldn't make that much difference.
KrisCross
Senior Moderator

Likes received: 226

Unread postby Cobalt » 20th August, 2017, 1:19 pm

I think this is a great idea because not only does Discord have forum-friendly widgets (like the chat one that displays on the front page currently) it could be even easier to attract new members via social media simply by sharing the discord link - for many LGBT people who already use discord, it provides an additional avenue of interest for new members. All we do then is have a welcoming committee in the discord to welcome new members and get them to join the forum.

Not only is discord easy to moderate and extremely mobile friendly, I feel like the voice chat is used more often than our current video chat function. Throw in special music bots and stuff and it's overall more versatile and easy to use than our current chat which many believe feels outdated anyway.

I think Discord falls in line with the modernization of the forum that began with the new theme and social media efforts, and when combined with those is a great force for new member retention and attraction to the forum.
Cobalt
Mafia Mom

Likes received: 113

Unread postby Cobalt » 20th August, 2017, 1:22 pm

To assuage the risk of randoms signing up only for discord and how to link the forum accounts, we could have a moderator/CA-kept registry thread where Discord accounts are matched with active usernames to prevent too much anonymity. Just a thought.
Cobalt
Mafia Mom

Likes received: 113

Unread postby JamieC » 20th August, 2017, 1:30 pm

There are merits to each, the current chat server and the discord. Over the summer the discord has affected the activity of the main chat server which is a shame for non-house cup members, especially those who are new as they undoubtedly will have the impression that the inactivity of the main chat is just a normality, and that may affect their wanting to stay.

Obviously, the house cup is soon to end but I imagine those who prefer discord will just continue to use the house cup discord unless it is closed.

Primarily, I think there needs to be a decision made between having one or the other. Having two chat servers is not only confusing to newer members, but wholly impractical for forum activity as a whole.

The main advantage to the current chat server is the very efficient cam function. I understand Discord have a beta cam function in testing but appears to not be quite up to the level of the cam function currently held by our main chat server.

The main advantage to discord, I would argue, is that the interface is undoubtedly better. There are more functions, and the voice channels are great. It's also easier to use on mobile, as many have noted, and with some GTF users that may be closeted preferring to use mobile, that could increase activity in the chat rooms were it made the official server.

Overall, I'd say a decision on this shouldn't be rushed, and a transition to discord should be done in good time, with all of the staff team agreed it is up to the standard of the current chat server and that the consensus of the majority of GTFers is that they're in favour of it.

Without a doubt, the current server is a little outdated with its interface. I think a move away from it is inevitable eventually, but not an immediate necessity.

There's my two pence thrown in anyways. :gay:
JamieC
Desperado

Likes received: 110

Unread postby boiii » 20th August, 2017, 1:32 pm

most users on this forum leave within a month sadly. This might be the same for discord too.
boiii
oh shit waddup

Unread postby boiii » 20th August, 2017, 1:33 pm

KrisCross wrote:
boiii wrote:You wouldn't need to go to the forum to go to the chat. Discord starts automatically if I start my pc (though not for everybody if they change it)

I think most people wouldn't download Discord on their laptop, if the link is provided as a tab like the current chat is I think it wouldn't make that much difference.

I think they would : /
boiii
oh shit waddup

Unread postby Peekaboo » 20th August, 2017, 1:51 pm

Rwinter96 wrote:
Jacketh wrote:

There will always be those who want to use the forums rather than the Discord, and whilst those will definitely decrease I do believe it won't have that big of an impact

Actually i hadn't considered this before now, risking server activity could kill it. New users may not want to join if the forum looks bare. However it could increase user retention if its easier to talk to people.
Last edited by Peekaboo on 20th August, 2017, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fear is a Fiction that limits Curiosity
Peekaboo

First name: Jakob
Likes received: 31

Unread postby Pity » 20th August, 2017, 2:02 pm

I will make a longer post later as to why we should replace the GTF chat with Discord, but for now, I made a quick and cheap mockup of what the page could look like when a user clicks "Chat." Before the "enter" button unlocks, the user must check off the five agreements. Another good idea would be to have the enter button link to another page that logs their username/IP that then quickly redirects to the actual Discord link so we can know who is entering.

Pity
hotty & disgraced member

First name: Marcus
Likes received: 477

Next

Recently active