Public Consultation on introducing an official GTF Discord chat/server

Off-topic posts go in here; this forum is only loosely moderated.

Re: Public Consultation on introducing an official GTF Discord chat/se

Unread postby Example » 23rd August, 2017, 8:27 pm

yall keep saying its a slow paced chat but i only ever have burst of speed chats we talk like lightning
Example

First name: Kyler
Likes received: 412

Unread postby Pity » 23rd August, 2017, 8:39 pm

Discord should totally replace the chat system.

1. It's far easier to use given:
a. it can be used on mobile devices
b. you don't have to open the forum first

2. Current chat has many glitches and vulnerabilities such as:
a. Chrome not allowing you to cam
b. Chat freezing
c. runs on flash
i. flash is being disabled and will be totally unsupported quite soon
ii. flash is known for being vulnerable to hacks

3. Side-by-side just makes it confusing and unnecessarily complex to new users.

4. We can still easily moderate users and make sure they are not impersonating people.

5. We shouldn't advertise it publicly. It would ruin the chat and could help kill the forum.
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

First name: Marcus
Likes received: 477

Unread postby Ethán » 23rd August, 2017, 8:45 pm

Example wrote:yall keep saying its a slow paced chat but i only ever have burst of speed chats we talk like lightning

literally this,.
Twink enthusiast
Ethán
Is shaking

First name: Ethan
Likes received: 637

Unread postby George » 24th August, 2017, 4:53 am

Pity wrote:5. We shouldn't advertise it publicly. It would ruin the chat and could help kill the forum.

I don't understand the argument for this: A lot of our users have come to us looking for somewhere to chat to other gay teens about their issues and problems and even curious teens who are trying to figure out who they are. Only just last night we had a guy in who was curious about his sexuality and after talking to us decided to stick around. People are still searching for gay chats, and yes not all of them have noble intentions but that's what we have moderators for. We do now have a number of users who came to us looking for our chat, so I don't understand why we shouldn't advertise it publicly: GTF is supposed to grow by attracting new members and this is supposedly the sort of thing that would support it. You don't seem to provide a reason why it would a) ruin the chat, and b) help kill the forum, and I would argue that if allowing new users into a system contributes to either of those things then the system is fundamentally flawed, because advertising our chat the way we have has been very useful and given us some great results.

We cannot run on the idea that this new replacement will be for the "GTF Old Guard" or whatever only. That is fundamentally wrong and is the reason that we removed the 50-post requirement 2 years ago. People come here looking for community, and it is only right that they are entitled to have equal access to all parts of it, especially if we want them to mingle. I personally would like to know how many new users would have remained as active or consistent this year if we still had the 50-post requirement. I hazard it would be significantly lower than what we already see.

Tl;dr: to say that advertising the discord the way we advertise chat would damage/kill either chat or the forum is quite frankly crap and is fundamentally backwards to what we are trying to do.

An Edit: I am still concerned that this whole discussion isn't so much about how we conduct chat but actually trying to address chat activity. We have on the one hand, people saying that new users are likely to get on well with discord, and on the other, people saying that advertising this will not be beneficial to its growth. This discussion started because chat became incredibly quiet whilst people used discord, but both seem to be a moderate activity levels. What we ought to be addressing, as I said in my first post, is why people aren't returning to chat: in whatever way we conduct chat, we will attract new people, that is a given. What matters is retention of those new people, which are aren't seeing. A large number of people who are the most active in chat (at least during the time I am on) are newer users who have joined us this year or within the last 12 months. This is shown even further by the fact that two of these users went on to become Community Ambassadors - one even a mod - which shows that new users are undoubtedly the face of that chatroom. If we cannot address why users are not frequenting chat, or returning to chat, we may begin to address activity issues. Until then, whatever system we use, I am afraid that we will see similar activity levels as we currently see.

I ask that we seek to address this as an important issue during the course of this discussion, as it ultimately is the root of the problem here and will persist if left unchecked. As I have said before hand, an anonymous survey to users to identify aspects of chat or people who make it less desirable to use would be very very helpful to help us begin to establish why people are online on the forum/posting but not active in chat.
Image Hi, I'm George. Never met Me before? Image
George
Diaper Rash

First name: George
Likes received: 102

Unread postby Ethán » 24th August, 2017, 9:15 am

Discord Cams

There has been quite a bit of confusion and misinformation I've seen so far in regards to Discord cams, so I thought I'd try clear things up. Yes Discord already has cams, only out to 20% of users right now, up from 10% just last week so things are moving very quickly and their approximation is just over a month until full release.

Jack expressed some concern about the configuration of the cams in an earlier discussion, they do actually have three options so that it doesn't just have to be one giant cam in the middle and then all the others little. As seen here:

Also a cool feature is the cams pop out and can be seen no matter which chat tab you are in, and even outside the app with the overlay feature, so if you want to tab out and watch a youtube vid or google something you can still see cams, I think that's pretty neat. Here's an example:

There has been some concern about the quality of the cams and personally I will agree that if we compared it to the likes of Facetime and Skype it is clearly missing the mark, however, in comparison to GTF cams I think there's actually an improvement. I have been lucky enough to try the video chat feature out and I do quite like it, although it was found that the host of the "call" experienced a bit of delay on the cams, I expect this to be sorted out by the time of full release.
Twink enthusiast
Ethán
Is shaking

Unread postby Ethán » 24th August, 2017, 9:23 am

Also I've noted that although there are plenty of valid concerns about Discord there are also lots that can also be answered by just trying it out, I think Jack, Mattyk and Scherzy can attest to this, all three were very doubtful about Discord to say the least until they tried it and found its actually pretty cool, I'd even go as far as saying a couple of them love it ;) So if it's okay with the mods I propose we let anyone who wants to see what a large Discord server looks like and just how Discord works in general by letting them on the House Cup Discord, if you aren't on it already of course.
Twink enthusiast
Ethán
Is shaking

Unread postby Pity » 24th August, 2017, 12:26 pm

George wrote:You don't seem to provide a reason why it would a) ruin the chat, and b) help kill the forum, and I would argue that if allowing new users into a system contributes to either of those things then the system is fundamentally flawed, because advertising our chat the way we have has been very useful and given us some great results.

1. We have even less of a guarantee that the users will be teens or young adults. Sharing the links to a "gay chat" as far and wide as possible is just asking for trouble. We probably have the best name for search engine optimization purposes given a user just has to look up "gay forum" to find us, so we should advertise the website itself, not the chat.

2. It would kill the forum because it would remove the need for new members to join. Why would a new member bother filling out an annoying form, complete a frustrating captcha, and verify his email address and then subsequently introducing himself when he can just pop into the chat and start asking about buttholes and get his rocks off in a few minutes.

George wrote:People come here looking for community, and it is only right that they are entitled to have equal access to all parts of it, especially if we want them to mingle.

They can and should, but they should have to come on through this forum so we know that they have an interest in our community, are not sixty-year-old pedophiles, or spam trolls.

George wrote:I have said before hand, an anonymous survey to users to identify aspects of chat or people who make it less desirable to use would be very very helpful to help us begin to establish why people are online on the forum/posting but not active in chat.

We all know that the current chat system sucks. An anonymous survey is unnecessary.
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

Unread postby George » 24th August, 2017, 12:51 pm

Pity you seem to fundamentally misunderstand: we have users who have found us through searching for chat and have signed up from there. Someone didnt even know there was a forum, they just searched for a chat. Ethan's two-tier chat system addresses your voiced concern. Every issue you've raised so far is a drawback of the current guest feature, and yet it hasn't yet killed the forum. The community cannot with one breath say that the community should be tightly knit and with the next complain it is too hard for new users to break into it. Many people don't use the forum and exist in chat anyway, this would not change.

Secondly you also appear to have misread my point re. Survey: yes, chat may not be perfect, but there are possibly other factors and features that are putting users off of frequently using it. If these are not examined, we risk implementing a new chat that will suffer the same issues. Yes, chat not being perfect is a significant part of it, but it would be supreme ignorance to go ahead and presume it is the only logical explanation for low chat activity this past year. If we are having a discussion about swapping to a new system to boost chat activity (the point of this consultation) it makes full sense to examine all avenues which make chat less active, not just the software.

I would argue that the stunning ignorance you've shown in discussing how new users/guests have interacted in chat is testimony to how little time you seem to spend in it. Things are not as black and white as you make it out to be.
George
Diaper Rash

Unread postby Pity » 24th August, 2017, 1:05 pm

1. A two-tiered chat system is just confusing and complex. We already basically have this with the House Cup Discord.
2. With the guest feature, we know they have an interest in the forum and the community itself. This is impossible if we are allowing totally random people from 4chan and Reddit to join.
3. Nobody is saying it has to be tight-knit, however, if overflowed with random people with zero connection to the forum, it is not much of a forum community is it?
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

Unread postby T33Bone » 24th August, 2017, 3:27 pm

A Google hangout link might make a good alternative to discord.
[i]"Deadass on the field, deadass in my heart, Amen"[/i]

-Ethan on the meaning of life
[size=200]
T33Bone
Token Black Guy

First name: Isa
Likes received: 9

Unread postby T33Bone » 24th August, 2017, 3:32 pm

A Google hangout link might make a good alternative to discord. You get the advantages of Discord while still keeping the forum in good use and it's a good way to prevent unrelated users from joining. Only downside I can think of is the 10-15 person limit per hangout.
[i]"Deadass on the field, deadass in my heart, Amen"[/i]

-Ethan on the meaning of life
[size=200]
T33Bone
Token Black Guy

First name: Isa
Likes received: 9

Unread postby Ethán » 24th August, 2017, 7:10 pm

Pity wrote:1. A two-tiered chat system is just confusing and complex. We already basically have this with the House Cup Discord.
2. With the guest feature, we know they have an interest in the forum and the community itself. This is impossible if we are allowing totally random people from 4chan and Reddit to join.
3. Nobody is saying it has to be tight-knit, however, if overflowed with random people with zero connection to the forum, it is not much of a forum community is it?

1. No it's not confusing and complex?

2 and 3. I don't know if you're noticing but the forum is doing pretty badly at attracting new members and once they sign up user retention is awful a more active chat (which Discord would be imo) is a great way to keep new members around and if they find us through the Discord, that's a member we wouldn't have had any other way.
What's wrong with random people joining? We were all random people once, as long as they are a member of the LGBT community and are of an acceptable age I don't see what problem them joining causes.

I think that there's also the assumption that someone has to be posting on the forum and actively using it to be a valuable member of our community, Ideally yes we want forum activity but we have a large amount of members who are almost exclusively in chat.
Like: Scottnesss, ^George^, Isaac, Olivurh, Rwinter, Jacob, Deither, Flump, byter11, Mati, c70, CameronAus even newer ones like Erebos, Squipel, Gavin, Chriskali & friends, Silk06.
If a person finds the Discord and is active in it I don't see why they would be any less a part of our community then any one of these amazing chat users.
Twink enthusiast
Ethán
Is shaking

Unread postby Calcifer » 24th August, 2017, 7:43 pm

Hello, I was quite literally asked to voice my opinion by George.

Now, I've gone through and skimmed a lot of what was said - I tend to avoid reading very large blocks of text. Especially when written by George.

However, I have got a few ideas which are mostly to support what others have said. For once, my opinion is pretty similar to Pity's. I'll go through what I see as the Pros, and Cons as put forward by everyone else so far and then my own thoughts at the end of each section, in another colour.

Pros

Discord having features that GTF chat does not
    Mobile compatible
    Already existing widgets to hook into GTF front page
    Aesthetically falls in with GTF's modernization
    123FlashChat is literally awful, cams don't work with Chrome, Flash is being depreciated, security risks, etc

Slightly reduces server load for the forum, potentially making it a bit cheaper
    Discord bots are simple to make, and can enhance chat functionality
    Greater visibility - Only requires Discord which a lot of people have, instead of visiting GTF and going to the chat that way
    Possibility of voice chat, something which is rarely used on GTF chat
    Different rooms will actually get used

Cons

May make GTF more inactive
    No full implementation for cams
    Users being on Discord rather than the forum makes the forum look more dead
    'This is the shittiest of shit ideas to ever be proposed for chat' - Aman. Maybe not the most convincing point
    Potential difficulty in checking users
    Discord isn't designed to be a 'chatroom' per se

Less association with GTF might make it harder to shift users over
    Requires work to set up in the first place
    Transitioning may cause issues for users who don't have discord, having to download a separate program just for chat.

Now, as for more indepth points:

Bots have existed in IRC channels for decades. They're little things which become almost regulars in the chat, and can help bring a little extra flavour to a channel. One such bot in an IRC channel I used to be part of was called 'Head Surgeon' and it would say bizarre phrases built off of things users had said in the past. Sometimes nonsense, sometimes very accurate - Mostly always quite funny.

Something like this would be good for GTF. Hell, something like this might make people like me stick around a bit more - Having the option to develop little things for chat would give us a manageable project, it'd give users who are interested in the fundamentals of coding something to practice on, and a goal to be make something which would fit in chat proper.

Transitioning may cause issues for users who don't have discord, having to download a separate program just for chat.
Let's imagine an average new user, 14, newly out, looking for a community he can be a part of. He stumbles across this website, makes a post in the forum, and people suggest joining chat. He asks himself 'Oh boy howdy, let's get into this chat action' and finds that instead of something standalone to the site, it's a link to some program he doesn't even use. He clicks it and it prompts him to download a program. 'I never asked for this, I just wanted to make friends' he says to himself, and goes off in search for something easier.

Pretty unlikely situation to be sure, but anything that makes it more difficult for a user to join is not a good thing.

Final points
This is more of a technical view on it, but this might assuage some users fears.

How do we stop random people joining?
Instead of a link to straight up join Discord, there is instead a page similar to what Pity drew up. It has a 'I agree to the terms of service' and suchlike, and a button you press. This button will send a message in your inbox for you to follow, which will automatically register that username with the nickname you create in Discord. This will give you a nice little 'Verified User' tag in Discord.

Can't be bothered to login? Sure thing, just check the 'Join as guest' and you will join just as a regular guest. You wont have access to all the channels, for example the video channel when it gets rolled out through Discord. This will help prevent users from the kind of stuff GTF has been known for in the past.

It's new and weird, I don't like it!
Now's the best time. The forum has had a makeover, Flash is being put in its grave finally, and apparently Discord is implementing new features. Get with the times grandpa.

It'll have nothing to do with GTF!
Bots. Bots are our friends. We could make a bot where you just post the URL of a forum post with a command, and a bot will post the title, a link to it, the number of posts, the last post, all that jazz.

How will we moderate it?
Discord has way more levels of permissions than GTF chat normally. Users who are well known regulars can be given very minor powers, and access to a special channel where you can post in to get the attention of those with the proper powers to come sort someone out.
ImageImageImage
Calcifer
Some Hypersexual Puppy Cat Thing

First name: Calum
Likes received: 32

Unread postby Jacketh » 25th August, 2017, 2:32 am

Thanks for this Cal :) I'll preface this by saying about 10 weeks ago I was fiercely against even using Discord for the House Cup and nearly vetoed it :lol: Kris and Ethan really wanted it and put it to a thread... and I couldn't really argue with democracy :grumpy:. Whilst the House Cup hasn't been hugely active itself largely down to fewer active members last year, I think the success of it this year has been the use of Discord and the way new members, particularly younger ones, have fitted in on there. I can happily admit I was wrong, and I'm coming around to Discord so much I'm no longer using Skype.

Calcifer wrote:Discord having features that GTF chat does not
Mobile compatible
Already existing widgets to hook into GTF front page
Aesthetically falls in with GTF's modernization
123FlashChat is literally awful, cams don't work with Chrome, Flash is being depreciated, security risks, etc

Slightly reduces server load for the forum, potentially making it a bit cheaper
Greater visibility - Only requires Discord which a lot of people have, instead of visiting GTF and going to the chat that way
Possibility of voice chat, something which is rarely used on GTF chat
Different rooms will actually get used

Yep, I agree with these. I think mobile compatible and the fact 123Flashchat is getting to the point where it now feels seriously out of date and is barely working for some people.

Voice chat is interesting one. It's rarely been used in GTF chat, but a lot of people have been using it on the House Cup Discord.

Calcifer wrote:Cons

May make GTF more inactive
No full implementation for cams
Users being on Discord rather than the forum makes the forum look more dead
'This is the shittiest of shit ideas to ever be proposed for chat' - Aman. Maybe not the most convincing point
Potential difficulty in checking users
Discord isn't designed to be a 'chatroom' per se
Less association with GTF might make it harder to shift users over
Requires work to set up in the first place

A lot of these were what I did/do have issues with, and have considered them a lot over the last week.

Calcifer wrote:May make GTF more inactive

The last thing I want as an Admin on here is the forum becoming more inactive, particularly after trying really hard over the last couple of years to prevent it becoming a wasteland. However, as you allude to - I think we can prevent that through bots that can link when new content appears on GTF, and making the Discord server "feel" a lot like GTF. And perhaps with the attraction of a Discord, this could mean we retain more new members and hopefully stick around on the forum too.

I think it is natural there are always going to be people out there that have zero interest in a forum. We have a lot of users already with very few posts on the forum but are on chat a lot, it would be the same with a Discord I imagine.

Calcifer wrote:No full implementation for cams

Not yet! They're introducing it though. I think 10% of users currently have it.

Calcifer wrote:Users being on Discord rather than the forum makes the forum look more dead/Less association with GTF might make it harder to shift users over

Merging these two points. Well hopefully there are a lot of people out there who would be willing to sign up to the forum and use it too. But, I think this is probably the same with our current chat. Sometimes our current chat has been very active whilst the forum has been a bit of a wasteland. By having an active Discord, we can hopefully encourage and move people over to the forum through linking it and whatnot. If we're retaining people because of Discord, we should see the results of that on the forum. I think its a tad naive to assume that everyone who will be on the GTF Discord will all be reclusive and never come to the forum. Also, we can absolutely associate it with GTF officially. Check what this forum has done.

Calcifer wrote:Potential difficulty in checking users

There is absolutely ways around with that with shouldn't make it too hard. I know a concern a few people have aired in this thread is that a user would be displayed on the GTF Discord with their Discord username. This is not the case, Admins and the user themselves can change their nickname in the server.

Calcifer wrote:Transitioning may cause issues for users who don't have discord, having to download a separate program just for chat/Discord isn't designed to be a 'chatroom' per se

As you know, you don't have to download a seperate program, you can log in as a guest (if we allow that) and use it as a browser. If you're alluding to downloading the phone app as I assume you may be - I guess... its better than what we have for the mobile on 123Flashchat :lol:

Discord is exploding right now though. It clearly started as an attempt to take on Teamspeak and be a platform mainly for gamers to talk. They're taking on Skype now though, and I think they're going to win - particularly with younger people. The introduction of cams shows that.

Calcifer wrote:Now, as for more indepth points:

Bots have existed in IRC channels for decades. They're little things which become almost regulars in the chat, and can help bring a little extra flavour to a channel. One such bot in an IRC channel I used to be part of was called 'Head Surgeon' and it would say bizarre phrases built off of things users had said in the past. Sometimes nonsense, sometimes very accurate - Mostly always quite funny.

Something like this would be good for GTF. Hell, something like this might make people like me stick around a bit more - Having the option to develop little things for chat would give us a manageable project, it'd give users who are interested in the fundamentals of coding something to practice on, and a goal to be make something which would fit in chat proper.

Yes yes yes! We can do so much with the bots. I'm excited about this.

Calcifer wrote:Transitioning may cause issues for users who don't have discord, having to download a separate program just for chat.
Let's imagine an average new user, 14, newly out, looking for a community he can be a part of. He stumbles across this website, makes a post in the forum, and people suggest joining chat. He asks himself 'Oh boy howdy, let's get into this chat action' and finds that instead of something standalone to the site, it's a link to some program he doesn't even use. He clicks it and it prompts him to download a program. 'I never asked for this, I just wanted to make friends' he says to himself, and goes off in search for something easier.

Pretty unlikely situation to be sure, but anything that makes it more difficult for a user to join is not a good thing.

Yeah, this was probably the main negative consideration of mine. But if we consider:

1) It can be used by guests if we want that.
2) We don't necessarily have to "tell them" to use the Discord, it can be their decision. It we intergrate it like the forum above does, they'll see it themselves and make their own decision
3) More and more people are going to use Discord, I think within the next year it'll be expected most teens that regularly use social media probably have one.
4) There will be plenty of ways for him to still get involved on the forum and make friends there too. And we have a side-project for the forum itself, but that we are linking into the Discord, that should hopefully give more life to the forum too! :awesome:

I've always been more of a forum guy on GTF (nearly 300 threads :rip) as opposed to chat. The last thing I want is the forum to become a wasteland. But I'm optimistic that by retaining new members, using the bots, and intergrating Discord as much as we can, the forum could actually become more active because of it.

Calcifer wrote:Final points
This is more of a technical view on it, but this might assuage some users fears.

How do we stop random people joining?
Instead of a link to straight up join Discord, there is instead a page similar to what Pity drew up. It has a 'I agree to the terms of service' and suchlike, and a button you press. This button will send a message in your inbox for you to follow, which will automatically register that username with the nickname you create in Discord. This will give you a nice little 'Verified User' tag in Discord.

Can't be bothered to login? Sure thing, just check the 'Join as guest' and you will join just as a regular guest. You wont have access to all the channels, for example the video channel when it gets rolled out through Discord. This will help prevent users from the kind of stuff GTF has been known for in the past.

It's new and weird, I don't like it!
Now's the best time. The forum has had a makeover, Flash is being put in its grave finally, and apparently Discord is implementing new features. Get with the times grandpa.

It'll have nothing to do with GTF!
Bots. Bots are our friends. We could make a bot where you just post the URL of a forum post with a command, and a bot will post the title, a link to it, the number of posts, the last post, all that jazz.

How will we moderate it?
Discord has way more levels of permissions than GTF chat normally. Users who are well known regulars can be given very minor powers, and access to a special channel where you can post in to get the attention of those with the proper powers to come sort someone out.

Yep, all this is spot on. I love how customisable Discord is. It can be exactly what we want in terms of rooms, rules and access.

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
Jacketh
Admin

First name: Jack
Likes received: 540

Unread postby Jacketh » 25th August, 2017, 2:41 am

As for the "allowing random people to join it" debate, I can see the concern. We wouldn't want the forums Discord to be full of people who do not use the forum, or who the forum regulars have no idea who they are. This will not happen. I think its natural to want the Discord to be a Discord for GTF users.

However, the potential for Discord to bring people to the forum by seeing an active Discord is an exciting prospect. The way I see it, is that a guest may be able to join/see the chat. They will get an automatic message when they join the server saying wlcome, and that this is a gay primarily for users of GayTeenForum.org, and why not go over there and make an introduction thread so we can know more about you? Likewise, with those familiar with the "Kingdom" thing that is coming soon, its possible we could just allow them into their Kingdom and the Community Ambassadors/members of the Kingdom could welcome them. There are multiple paths and ways we can do this.

But no, of course its going to be a Discord primarily for people with an account. But its worth considering we do currently have a chatroom that allows people access without a GTF account...and its not exactly like we're swamped with random people! :P

It is a valid concern, but it would be wrong to reject the potential it has, and like Ethan says - we were all new once. But assuming we're going to be doing this, the main commitment is making it feel like GTF and for GTF.

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
Jacketh
Admin

Unread postby Jacketh » 25th August, 2017, 2:47 am

And one final point:

Me and René have discussed previously how we could possibly integrate GFO and GTF more without either site losing their identity or remerging the two sites. A number of very well liked and established people on here are approaching 25, and it'd be a shame to just say "well off you go over to GFO"... which, isn't exactly having its finest hour activity wise :P

The Discord could potentially have an 18+ chat for users of both GTF and GFO. I think this could be quite sweet.

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
Jacketh
Admin

Unread postby Ethán » 25th August, 2017, 3:46 am

Jacketh wrote:However, the potential for Discord to bring people to the forum by seeing an active Discord is an exciting prospect. The way I see it, is that a guest may be able to join/see the chat. They will get an automatic message when they join the server saying wlcome, and that this is a gay primarily for users of GayTeenForum.org, and why not go over there and make an introduction thread so we can know more about you?

Here's a quick example of this in action for anyone concerned.
You can either have a bot display the welcome message in chat and introduce the forum:

or have it directly pm the new user with information about the site and rules etc:

Twink enthusiast
Ethán
Is shaking

Unread postby Togetik » 25th August, 2017, 4:08 am

You can link discord chats in the same way we've currently got a snapshot of chat on the homepage with realtime updates and you can access discord through browser so there's barely any functionality lost.

I think there's an issue in that discord doesn't have video chat (yet?) and that new people would either have to make a new account on discord in order to join, or they'd have to effectively out themselves if using their normal discord account. That could discourage people from joining, from the fear of that. (There's also that discord will tell you if any of your friends are in servers you're in, and while that's pretty much a nonissue I can imagine people getting scared that maybe someone they know is also in there and might end up getting outed to them because of that)
Togetik

Likes received: 79

Unread postby Jacketh » 25th August, 2017, 4:41 am

Togetik wrote:I think there's an issue in that discord doesn't have video chat (yet?) and that new people would either have to make a new account on discord in order to join, or they'd have to effectively out themselves if using their normal discord account. That could discourage people from joining, from the fear of that. (There's also that discord will tell you if any of your friends are in servers you're in, and while that's pretty much a nonissue I can imagine people getting scared that maybe someone they know is also in there and might end up getting outed to them because of that)

Currently 10% of people have video chat as of about two weeks ago and, as their objective is to take on Skype, they should be rolling it out in full soon.

Because of how popular it is getting, I think it can be expected most people will have an account sooner rather than later. It was only created in 2015 and has exploded. For the purpose of the House Cup members have been required to have a Discord account if they did not already, and this has worked so far. People like me, Matty, and Tim who never used it regularly do now. And it is possible to use Discord as a guest if we allow that.

Here are some links discussing its growing popularity:

https://www.reddit.com/r/discordapp/com ... d_popular/

http://mashable.com/2017/05/16/discord- ... tUZDrwDiq7

http://www.pcgamer.com/discord-takes-ai ... -features/

As the person on Reddit puts it, it is set up ideal for communities.

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
Jacketh
Admin

Unread postby George » 25th August, 2017, 4:50 am

Togetik wrote:You can link discord chats in the same way we've currently got a snapshot of chat on the homepage with realtime updates and you can access discord through browser so there's barely any functionality lost.

I think there's an issue in that discord doesn't have video chat (yet?) and that new people would either have to make a new account on discord in order to join, or they'd have to effectively out themselves if using their normal discord account. That could discourage people from joining, from the fear of that. (There's also that discord will tell you if any of your friends are in servers you're in, and while that's pretty much a nonissue I can imagine people getting scared that maybe someone they know is also in there and might end up getting outed to them because of that)

I had't actually considered the last point at all. I don't believe it would be a significant issue, but I do know of users we have on the forum/chat who are reluctant to use their name or pictures of themselves incase someone else on the forum knows them and its an accidental outing. I appreciate the chances are slim, but its something we need to consider.

I am, admittedly, warming to Discord. I am enjoying those cameras and honestly think that if I can get it to work within my computer following my upgrade, I will probably support it fully. The largest part of my fears will have been alleviated, and other concerns I have I will either have to live with or ignore. I would like use to keep chat slightly longer however, just for now until all of our concerns with Discord are addressed, and give us a date of transition so that we can have one last chat party :P but yes, I think Discord is the natural future at this point.
George
Diaper Rash

PreviousNext

Recently active