Public Consultation on introducing an official GTF Discord chat/server

Off-topic posts go in here; this forum is only loosely moderated.

Re: Public Consultation on introducing an official GTF Discord chat/se

Unread postby c70 » 20th August, 2017, 2:49 pm

Love Pity's Idea. I think this is exactly how Discord should be implemented with keeping some of the focus on the actually forum.
Look I finally got a profile picture :D
c70

First name: Thomas
Likes received: 15

Unread postby Rwinter96 » 20th August, 2017, 3:36 pm

Pity wrote:I will make a longer post later as to why we should replace the GTF chat with Discord, but for now, I made a quick and cheap mockup of what the page could look like when a user clicks "Chat." Before the "enter" button unlocks, the user must check off the five agreements. Another good idea would be to have the enter button link to another page that logs their username/IP that then quickly redirects to the actual Discord link so we can know who is entering.

This is a very good idea
Rwinter96

First name: Ryan
Likes received: 26

Unread postby MCarr » 20th August, 2017, 3:41 pm

When I create an account somewhere I also check the box that says I have reviewed and agree with the terms. Do I even know what the terms are? No.
"I hate the word homophobia. It's not a phobia. You are not scared. You are an asshole"

MCarr
I won a bet with Kaspar

First name: Miguel
Likes received: 159

Unread postby Pity » 20th August, 2017, 5:41 pm

MCarr wrote:When I create an account somewhere I also check the box that says I have reviewed and agree with the terms. Do I even know what the terms are? No.

Yep :P But it’s just so users won’t be surprised if they get banned for breaking the rules!
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

First name: Marcus
Likes received: 477

Unread postby Nephertum » 20th August, 2017, 5:57 pm

Idk I rarely use the chat bc most of the time I'm busy but partly cos its on the web -- if it was on Discord I'd personally participate more cos its just right there ygm? xx
Nephertum

First name: Jimmy
Likes received: 1

Unread postby JonathanT88 » 20th August, 2017, 6:34 pm

As a traditionalist/full-time old fart, no. Discord is disgusting.

As a diplomat: whatever the kid's want.
Gudrun wrote:

"How many times have I told you? Homosexuality is only to be used for revolutionary purposes!"

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImage
JonathanT88
Horny Jonathan of the Homosexual Intifada

First name: Jonathan (duh.)
Likes received: 391

Unread postby Pity » 20th August, 2017, 6:40 pm

JonathanT88 wrote:As a traditionalist/full-time old fart, no. Discord is disgusting.

U are a kid’s
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

Unread postby JonathanT88 » 20th August, 2017, 6:44 pm

Pity wrote:
JonathanT88 wrote:As a traditionalist/full-time old fart, no. Discord is disgusting.

U are a kid’s

In age, but not in attitude.

GTF: "Widgets, forum integration, COOL BUTTONZ, non-clunky mid-2000s aesthetic."
Me:

Gudrun wrote:

"How many times have I told you? Homosexuality is only to be used for revolutionary purposes!"

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImage
JonathanT88
Horny Jonathan of the Homosexual Intifada

First name: Jonathan (duh.)
Likes received: 391

Unread postby Ethán » 20th August, 2017, 6:52 pm

I've already said this but I'm a big fan of not replacing Discord with chat but rather having it in addition to the existing chat, I'll address the concerns that may come with this.

Will Discord kill forum activity?
No, forum activity has been decreasing consistently for the past 2 years that's just the unfortunate situation our site is in. I don't see any evidence of forum activity decreased at a faster rate since the creation of the House Cup Discord and I think that's a pretty good gauge seeing as the majority of active users here are involved in the House Cup. The majority of posting on the forum is done by older members, we are the ones creating threads, running games etc and I certainly don't think we're going to suddenly use the forum less if there's a Discord server, I mean over the duration of the House Cup the forum's most active users: Kyler, Pity, Kaspar and myself have all collectively managed thousands of posts on the forum, created 40-50 threads between us, whilst also being the most active in the Discord. If someone is interested in the forum and wants to post they will, regardless of whether or not there's an external chat.

Will Discord kill activity on GTF's existing chat?
In my opinion no.
The way I see it is Discord and GTF Chat serve two different purposes, Discord is far less restrictive in the sense that you don't have to be sitting there paying attention constantly to keep a conversation going. Unlike chat if I'm having a conversation with someone on Discord I can leave for 20 minutes then come back and continue the conversation right where I left off here is an example of it:
Whereas in GTF chat if you don't reply within a minute you see the infamous "rip chat" or "I'm horny bored"
Even in terms of pming, it allows for continuity in conversations whereas GTF refreshes your PMS every new session.
Furthermore the voice chat feature is something really quite amazing that a lot of users have been using daily, in fact I'm actually using it right now as I type this :) It's probably the most personal method of communication we can get aside from maybe video chat and its popularity is testament to that. It was mentioned by Jack yesterday that GTF Chat have a voice feature, but lets be honest here it's pretty shit, sound quality is stuck in 2005 and it's non existent on mobile.

Keeping on the topic of mobile, it has been said here already multiple times but the mobile app and functionality is far superior to GTF Chat, not just in the sense that its actually bearable :eli: It genuinely has a nice interface that is super easy to use and plenty of cool features.

The example of Discord being active last night whilst chat was dead has been used and I think this isn't a great example as there's no real correlation. Just last week both chat and Discord were simultaneously booming, we had about 20 active members in each during Pity's wonderful dance party, so clearly both can work in unison and not detract from one another. I think with the case of last night mobile plays a big part, I was actually out during this active period but because of the Discord app I was still able to partake in the conversation and I think this is the same for many others.

Another big aspect that differentiates the two is with Discord you kind of get to choose who you talk to, I'm currently sitting in GTF Chat with about 10 other people and unfortunately there is no one I'm particularly interested in talking to or any topic I'm dying to jump into, more often than not I would just leave chat because of this, as would many others.
Twink enthusiast
Ethán
Is shaking

First name: Ethan
Likes received: 637

Unread postby Aman » 20th August, 2017, 6:54 pm

FUCK no and FUCK whoever proposed this. This is the shittiest of shit ideas to ever be proposed for chat.
Aman
Alan

First name: Armani
Likes received: 12

Unread postby Ethán » 20th August, 2017, 7:08 pm

Aman wrote:FUCK no and FUCK whoever proposed this. This is the shittiest of shit ideas to ever be proposed for chat.

Good reasoning and logic.
Twink enthusiast
Ethán
Is shaking

First name: Ethan
Likes received: 637

PostThis post was deleted by Jacketh on 20th August, 2017, 7:10 pm.
Reason: double post

Unread postby Squipel » 21st August, 2017, 8:27 am

I'm kinda mixed.

I also feel that it'll kill of the GTF forum but it's so much better on Discord (they're testing cams now) that I feel that it might be the better way to go. Maybe it's possible to integrate GTF forum and Discord (overlay the two so we can see Discord on the GTF webpage)?

:/
Squipel
King of the Gingers

First name: James
Likes received: 17

Unread postby Kaspar » 21st August, 2017, 10:12 am

Squipel wrote:I'm kinda mixed.

I also feel that it'll kill of the GTF forum but it's so much better on Discord (they're testing cams now) that I feel that it might be the better way to go. Maybe it's possible to integrate GTF forum and Discord (overlay the two so we can see Discord on the GTF webpage)?

:/

Wut? Nah, it's not killing the forum in any way, James. What might happen is just people will switch from GTF chat to Discord and Discord will seem like a more friendly platform for new, younger users. I doubt it will have much of an impact on forum activity, and if so - it will probably be a positive one.
Proudly, the Captain of team Spirited Away
House Cup 2017

mattyk wrote:You are indeed all-round 100% certified awesome!

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar
The Kind Moderator / Lochlan's cat enthusiast

First name: Kacper
Likes received: 332

Unread postby boiii » 21st August, 2017, 1:36 pm

I am FOR change, but I am AGAINST discord

Pity suggested we made people always join via a link on the forum. How would that be checked?
For people that already have discord it'll just be one or 2 clicks from thier desktop.
If you do not have to go to the forum to chat the activity on the forum will go down.

Lots of members dissapear within the 1st few months. They will check out the chat, but then abandon it.
Lots of people in the server, few that use it a lot.

You can delete messages on discord too. Harder to moderate.

Is there a cam option on discord or will there be? I don't think it is there now at least.

I am for using another chat program, but we do not need to rush things. We have plenty of options, not just these two I'm sure
boiii
oh shit waddup

First name: Kamiel
Likes received: 187

Unread postby Jacketh » 21st August, 2017, 2:59 pm

boiii wrote:I am FOR change, but I am AGAINST discord

Pity suggested we made people always join via a link on the forum. How would that be checked?
For people that already have discord it'll just be one or 2 clicks from thier desktop.
If you do not have to go to the forum to chat the activity on the forum will go down.

Lots of members dissapear within the 1st few months. They will check out the chat, but then abandon it.

Is there a cam option on discord or will there be? I don't think it is there now at least.

I am for using another chat program, but we do not need to rush things. We have plenty of options, not just these two I'm sure

There are indeed lots of considerations to make.

Currently 10% of users on Discord have access to webcams. They're rolling it out over the next month or so I believe.

The problem is, there isn't actually that many chat softwares available. We're looked into it pretty extensively and the only other programs like 123Flashchat also use Flash (which is slowly becoming more and more useless - Chrome users currently can't cam on 123Flashchat) and have their own problems such as security.

The massive advantage of Discord in my opinion would be the fact that users can use their mobile.

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
Jacketh
Admin

First name: Jack
Likes received: 540

Unread postby Jacketh » 21st August, 2017, 3:02 pm

From what I can see, there are two routes we can go with this. We can make it exclusive and for already signed up members, and have a quota like number of posts or something. Or, we can leave it totally open and even allow non-GTF people to use it and even advertise it to people on LGBTeens and whatnot, and then encourage the people using it to then sign up to GTF.

I think most people signed up would prefer the former option of exclusivity, but the latter could be a consideration and be helpful in growing the site.

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
Jacketh
Admin

First name: Jack
Likes received: 540

Unread postby Pity » 21st August, 2017, 3:14 pm

I prefer the former. Allowing it to be open to literally everyone removes the sense of community and instead makes it a simple "gay chat" Discord. By making it public, it monumentally increases the risks of old people joining.
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

Unread postby Kaspar » 21st August, 2017, 3:44 pm

boiii wrote:I am FOR change, but I am AGAINST discord

I think you might have misunderstood some things and are not informed of other. Let me clarify:

1. We are not debating whether or not to change the current chat, the decision that we are changing something is obvious for a very long time.

Now concerning Discord itself:

- Discord apparently has the possibility to embed it onto your website and make people join with their usernames. The thing Pity proposed I believe is a one time page you would see only when first joining the server.

- About people leaving after one month - you can kick people out of the server list, the fact that we would be moderating it like GTF chat, mean this would be taken care of.

- Moderating Discord servers is way more detailed and has plenty of the very same options we would have on GTF chat right now.

- The cams on Discord are being slowly introduced. They are a bit clumsy and different than what you are used to though. They are more Skype-like.

We do not want to exchange Discord and GTF chat, but rather have them side by side as two options for now. I believe that Discord will be the preferred one, which would be a natural thing. It is still being developed and we are not drastically switching everything at once :P
House Cup 2017

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar

Unread postby Kaspar » 21st August, 2017, 3:46 pm

Jacketh wrote:From what I can see, there are two routes we can go with this. We can make it exclusive and for already signed up members, and have a quota like number of posts or something. Or, we can leave it totally open and even allow non-GTF people to use it and even advertise it to people on LGBTeens and whatnot, and then encourage the people using it to then sign up to GTF.

I think most people signed up would prefer the former option of exclusivity, but the latter could be a consideration and be helpful in growing the site.

And yeah, I agree with Pity on the thing that if the chat was open, we wouldn't be able to check completely any details of a person. Making users sign up to the server through GTF removes that. Having Discord as a chat for the smaller, closed community is more beneficial imo
House Cup 2017

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar

PreviousNext

Recently active