Language learning thread

Off-topic posts go in here; this forum is only loosely moderated.

Language learning thread

Unread postby Pity » 3rd February, 2017, 11:48 pm

If you like learning languages, post here! Discuss with others what language you're trying to learn, what you use to study, how you study, etc! Hopefully, you can connect with someone here who speaks your desired language and you two can learn together :')

I'm currently learning Spanish (Latin American). I have been taking 2 years of Spanish classes at school and I am beginning to use Duolingo to keep learning when I'm home. Surprisingly, I can speak a descent amount with people from Mexico.

I was learning Esperanto before (constructed languages from the 19th century) with Lernu and Duolingo, but I had to stop because I was just starting to learn Spanish at school and it did screw me up a bit at first.

:eli:
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 301

Team: How To Train Your Dragon

Re: Language learning thread

Unread postby Example » 4th February, 2017, 9:22 am

I was starting to learn french cause I hate being french and not knowing how to speak it
but whenever i meet a hot guy ill start learning his language and create a whole fantasy that were going to be married
i picture myself in a little shop outside our house with a note pad of phrases my husband wrote for me so i could successfully get some bakery bread and sausage
ImageImageImageImage
Example
James Corden

First name: Kyler
Likes received: 246

Team: Lion King

Unread postby Scherzy » 4th February, 2017, 9:56 am

Ja parlo força castellano, i perquè més de los meus clases estan en catala, he d'aprendre-ho :)

De todos menos, paso la mayor parte de mi tiempo hablando espanol castellano.
House Cup 2016 - Coruscant Vice

ImageImageImageImageImage
Scherzy
Community Ambassador

First name: Aiden
Likes received: 115

Unread postby Kaspar » 4th February, 2017, 10:13 am

Example wrote:but whenever i meet a hot guy ill start learning his language and create a whole fantasy that were going to be married

I relate to that soooo much :rofl2:

OT: I use Duolingo for my Swedish, its a great addition to classes, books or speaking with people. If you ever want to learn Polish or improve it, pm me, we can have a nice convo in the language of vodka and slavness! :) Also, Russian, cause сука блять чики брики раш би бабушка!

Proudly, Vice Captain of team Spirited Away
House Cup 2017
Kaspar
Gay Jesus

First name: Kacper
Likes received: 105

Team: Spirited Away

Unread postby JonathanT88 » 4th February, 2017, 10:40 am

I hate Duolingo, only because I'd much rather learn the grammar/tenses/etc. in one and let the vocabulary follow. I'm much too impatient to wait.

I can speak a reasonable amount of French and do Latin at school. I'd love to learn more languages but it's just one of those things I've never gotten round to. German and Russian are particularly interesting- largely because I'm a sucker for the cold, Soviet vibe and love the cultures of both countries.
Gudrun wrote:

"How many times have I told you? Homosexuality is only to be used for revolutionary purposes!"

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImage
JonathanT88
Horny Jonathan of the Homosexual Intifada

First name: Jonathan (duh.)
Likes received: 361

Unread postby Pity » 4th February, 2017, 11:08 am

JonathanT88 wrote:I hate Duolingo, only because I'd much rather learn the grammar/tenses/etc. in one and let the vocabulary follow. I'm much too impatient to wait.

For me, it works wonderfully to learn new vocabulary because I take Spanish at school where I do learn the grammar and syntax structure. The Esperanto course on Duolingo is very well built because it helps you learn the grammar and vocabulary.

JonathanT88 wrote:I can speak a reasonable amount of French and do Latin at school.

You can learn/speak both at the same time? :fml:
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

Unread postby George » 4th February, 2017, 11:18 am

Esperanto <3 Mia pensoj ekzakte; gxi estas malfacila se vi lernas hispana. La lingvo romantika estas gravaj al esperanto, tamen.
ImageImage

Hi, I'm George. I used to be Mestaris. Never met me before? Heres an idea.
George
Queen Peen of Barebackistan

First name: George
Likes received: 89

Unread postby Pity » 4th February, 2017, 11:20 am

George wrote:Esperanto <3 Mia pensoj ekzakte; gxi estas malfacila se vi lernas hispana. La lingvo romantika estas gravaj al esperanto, tamen.

:heart: :heart: :heart: Esperanto estas bela
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

Unread postby JonathanT88 » 4th February, 2017, 6:08 pm

Pity wrote:For me, it works wonderfully to learn new vocabulary because I take Spanish at school where I do learn the grammar and syntax structure. The Esperanto course on Duolingo is very well built because it helps you learn the grammar and vocabulary.

Yeah, I tried using it as a vocabulary supplement when I was learning French at school, but even then I found it a little pedantic and would rather just pick up vocabulary by 1) reading newspaper/books etc., 2) looking up words I want when writing, or 3) just learning a fuck-off big vocab list.

You can learn/speak both at the same time? :fml:

They're very different languages, so I don't see the problem really. Also, Latin feels different because it's not a modern language- I can read all about tyranny and Cicero's various speeches, but God save me if I needed to order a coffee.

I stopped doing French last year after doing what I think it about the same as your AP things, and now I just do Latin.

I was going to give Spanish/German a shot instead, but I preferred the idea of picking through ancient letters to going over the same "my name is [x] and I live in [x]" bullshit when you're learning modern languages at the start. I'm not particularly bothered with utility, as you can see.
Gudrun wrote:

"How many times have I told you? Homosexuality is only to be used for revolutionary purposes!"

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImage
JonathanT88
Horny Jonathan of the Homosexual Intifada

First name: Jonathan (duh.)
Likes received: 361

Unread postby Ethán » 4th February, 2017, 7:37 pm

Des has been giving me private tutoring in Ebonics.
Vice Captain of 2016 House Cup champions Team Middle Earth

Ethán
House Cup Host Farquaad
Member of the Month

First name: Ethan
Likes received: 352

Unread postby Pity » 4th February, 2017, 8:38 pm

Ω wrote:Des has been giving me private tutoring in Ebonics.

No hablo la lengua de los africanos. Lo siento.
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

Unread postby KrisCross » 4th February, 2017, 8:56 pm

I have been trying to learn Italian and Swedish through Duolingo and a few other sites for quite a while now, mostly because I just love how they sound. I'm just not very successful because I sometimes don't touch it for months on end, but if someone here happens to be willing to have Swedish pm conversations with me to exercise, feel free to sign up! :P

I also use Duolingo to polish my French every now and then, because despite having obligatory French classes for 8 years (perks of living in Belgium), the teaching method is so shitty that I'm embarrassed for the state of my French after learning it for such a long time.

Ideally, I'd want to be able to speak about 7 languages before I die, but I'm afraid that's a bit optimistic to say the least. I must say though, that thanks to the fact that I studied Latin for 4 years in secondary school, speak Dutch, English and a reasonable amount of French, there are a lot of European languages that I can read (or at least partially so) without actually speaking them.
KrisCross
House Cup Host Te Fiti

Likes received: 149

Unread postby Sturgis » 4th February, 2017, 11:58 pm

你好。我不懂中文...
Sturgis
Address me as: Jimmy Neutron or JAKEPOP

Likes received: 34

Unread postby Finch » 5th February, 2017, 12:42 am

Sturgis wrote:你好。我不懂中文...

I can tell.
I'll think of something to put here eventually

Finch
the mom friend

First name: Joseph
Likes received: 28

Unread postby JuhO » 5th February, 2017, 4:28 am

I really like learning languages. I think there's something rly interesting in how different languages "work/function" in different situations and how communication between people are built in them, if that makes any sense :P But yeah, Finnish is my mothertongue (surprise, surprise) and English is the 1st foreign language that I started to learn (at the age of 9), Swedish is our 2nd official language (started to learn at the age of 13) and then I started in the autumn learning French.

I think English is rly easy language to learn as it is always everywhere. You can't rly hide from it so you get to use it pretty much everyday somehow so learning it comes almost naturally (ofc teachers teach it and thats how you learn it but i mean you dont forget it if you can use it often).
Swedish has the problem that it isn't rly everywhere. Its much harder to learn to use it "smoothly/fluently" if you dont get to use it that much. Im not the best at it but I think Im getting better and better all the time with good speed :P I probably should try to watch more Swedish films or tv shows or read books or something to get to use it more. I though use it quite much when I talk to people. Idk if people find it weird but I tend to use a lot of words or phrases from different languages as I speak because they tend to have different kind of "shades" in them so some word/phrase can sound more suitable than another. The good thing with Swedish though is that it has a lot of similarities with English.
Then, I have always somehow liked French and then started to learn it in school as it became possible for me. I choosed between German and French and then chose French because its probably more different from English/Swedish. I heard from my friend that starting to learn German fucked up a bit his Swedish studies :P And I want to become good at Swedish so French it was. I try to just revise it as often as I have time because the grammar is quite hard and the vocalbulary is almost completely new to me. I dont think its too hard though, although trying to understand a fluent French speaking is hard af.... :D
But yeah, if someone wants to chat in (Finnish,) Swedish or, well you cant rly have a good convo in French with me but some kind of use is probably possible with it, dont hesitate to pm me! :keke: Chats in English doesnt hurt either... :P
Popularite Season 4 - Proudly #TeamAdele

ImageImage
JuhO
YUHO. bOOM. KAH. BOOM BOOM KAH.

First name: Juho
Likes received: 6

Unread postby Sturgis » 5th February, 2017, 11:26 am

Finch wrote:
Sturgis wrote:你好。我不懂中文...

I can tell.

我不笨!你笨!
Sturgis
Address me as: Jimmy Neutron or JAKEPOP

Likes received: 34

Unread postby Milosamuel » 6th February, 2017, 1:16 pm

I doubt any of you would be interested, but I can roughly speak Irish. I've been learning it now for about 10 years through school, and I'm still not that good at it. It is a tough language to speak, ach, tá sé go háilinn

Holy mother of god Hanzo
Milosamuel

First name: Samuel
Likes received: 1

Unread postby Aris » 7th February, 2017, 7:09 pm

I know french is some degree and at some point i did lessons for Italian(however i can't really speak properly, i can mostly understand the other person or read it). Lately i have had thoughts on starting Spanish lessons, because i find it a beautiful language and at the same time quite easy(Spanish has a lot of common words with my mother tongue and the accent is very alike). Also, i have always wanted to learn some Scandinavian language and possibly at some point Japanese!
I've tried duolingo and similar apps but I feel like they can only help you so far. I think a great deal of help when learning a language comes when you learn about the history of the language and how it formed, so that you can understand why things are the way they are. It also helps very much if you find similarities or common roots with your native language!
You might know me as Aris, well I m John! Feel free to pm me whenever you want!<3 you all!
Aris
Formerly 'OnceABottom'

First name: John
Likes received: 3

Unread postby Tim. » 11th February, 2017, 7:11 am

Learning languages has always been something I've wanted to do in theory, but never really got to in practice. I learnt Itallian for my first 2 years of high school, however in general the teaching method was bull shit and we never really learnt how to have or even follow natural conversations. It was all writing letters to loved ones or ordering at a restaurant bullshit.

I was nearly going to start German with an old high school friend in first year uni. We got as far as googling what was around, and then we both got busy and lost touch.

It's still something that really appeals to me however, though I can never pick what I want to learn, so I'm at the point where I might just try and see how many I can cover in my life time.

Swedish is a language I really like the sound of, and apparently is pretty easy for English speakers.

German is apparently quite complex, but It's a country with an interesting history and is quite widely spoken throughout central Europe. An area I really want to explore.

I have a few Dutch friends, so that's another one I would like to try, however the G sound that's like someone clearing their throat is not something I can do easily. Many say Dutch is a hybrid of English and German so it sounds like an interesting one to explore. Especially if you know the other two.

Finnish is a funky looking language, but has little utility really. As beautiful as Finland looks, it's quite overlooked on an international scale.

Other than those ones, Spanish seems useful as it is so widely spoken, and French is really pretty, but they don't hold my interest quite as much as the more northern euro languages.

Tim.
White Tupac

First name: Tim
Likes received: 71

Unread postby Stark » 12th February, 2017, 3:33 pm

I'm currently doing my French A level and I'm fairly good with the language. I really want to learn Arabic over the next few years because I find the Middle East really interesting, it's employable af and Arab men. :eli:
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Stark
Yekaterina Petrovna Zamolodchikova

First name: Joe
Likes received: 159

Next

Recently active