Language learning thread

Off-topic posts go in here; this forum is only loosely moderated.

Re: Language learning thread

Unread postby Arty » 13th February, 2017, 7:54 am

Stark wrote:I'm currently doing my French A level and I'm fairly good with the language. I really want to learn Arabic over the next few years because I find the Middle East really interesting, it's employable af and Arab men. :eli:

When bae throws you off the rooftop :bow: :bow: :heart: :naughty:

OT: I managed to get myself on a French AS course by almost solely learning French through Duolingoo for a month, which apparently supplemented for my lack of 2 years of learning French. But after that I found Duolingo too basic and slow paced. I think the best way to learn a language once you know it at an intermediate level is to watch French shows with French subtitles or English shows with French Subtitles, it gets you accustomed to spoken French really well
Arty
Fialure

Likes received: 14

Unread postby Stark » 13th February, 2017, 8:27 pm

Arty wrote:When bae throws you off the rooftop :bow: :bow: :heart: :naughty:

Okay gulag boy :err:
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Stark
Yekaterina Petrovna Zamolodchikova

First name: Joe
Likes received: 159

Unread postby Arty » 14th February, 2017, 12:55 pm

Stark wrote:

:rip: :rip: Because making fun of a tragedy that killed millions of people is acceptable when they're white
Arty
Fialure

Likes received: 14

Unread postby Stark » 15th February, 2017, 5:57 am

Arty wrote:
Stark wrote:

:rip: :rip: Because making fun of a tragedy that killed millions of people is acceptable when they're white

Wait, you're accusing me of being racist towards white people for joking about gulags when you've just joked about a practise that has killed large numbers of non-white gays?

:err:
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Stark
Yekaterina Petrovna Zamolodchikova

First name: Joe
Likes received: 159

Unread postby Der Amerikaner » 8th March, 2017, 8:49 pm

I'm absolutely obsessed with languages and constantly switch from one to another. (Currently looking at Welsh) I even work on creating my own languages.

My best studied language is Esperanto (La lingvo internacia de Doktoro Zamenhof!), and I can type out German fairly ok.
Tja etúet thernú hzacmna. Thern therriánú, ó per thernobreú etúzdinímna. Hramenë thernobre etúzdiníégh etútser, bretróbriodrú, zdeppacanerna, hjetnascruú, bretcjetaghé, ech cwarneu, hjetána.

Cenedl heb iaith yw cenedl heb galon.
Der Amerikaner

First name: Ervin

Unread postby Pity » 15th March, 2017, 12:43 pm

I'm learning about Spanish negative imperatives (commands) now and they are kind of confusing and weird to me.

How to make a verb a negative imperative:
1. Change to yo form: Comer > Como
2. Replace ending with the opposite tú form (ar: es, er/ir: as), so: como > comas
3. Add "No" to the front: No comas

So, you would say "No comas la manzana." to say "Don't eat the apple."

It gets even more confusing when irregulars are thrown in.

For example, "ir" means "to go," but the negative imperative would be "no vayas."
So, "Don't go to the house." would be "No vayas a la casa."
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

First name: Marcus
Likes received: 428

Team: How To Train Your Dragon

Unread postby Vortex » 18th March, 2017, 1:47 pm

Yeah negative Spanish commands are pretty much just subjunctive.

On topic, though, I find that listening to music helped me a lot with Spanish and German.
ImageImageImage

Ebsy wrote:Leave it to losers on Twitter to complain about being pandered to. You're supposed to complain when someone panders to others, not to you.
[4:46 AM] Saint Drogo: Also, you've got a strangely appealing asshole. I'll give you that much.
[6:03 AM] Pity: Omg... stop making me sound like a racist idiot
[4:51 AM] Scherzy: jerk off to clinton in the safety of your own bedroom luv
[2:56 PM] Saint Drogo: Literally let me use my cock as a paintbrush and my unborn children as paint.
Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

First name: Da'Neil Boxley
Likes received: 249

Team: Spirited Away

Unread postby Oracle » 23rd March, 2017, 1:16 am

I am learning Japanese. I've had at least one lesson a week, every week since December. My Tutor is Ukrainian and my lessons are over Skype. My tutor says I am am understanding well and learning quickly. I have already memorized all 92 kana, but I am having so much trouble memorizing the kanji, which are the thousands of Chinese characters. I am also not memorizing words quickly.

I also joined a website today where people from all over the world can find people who speak a language they want to know and also want to learn their native language as well. I am looking for someone who speaks Japanese and is looking to learn English.

I have messaged 40 so far. The only two who have actually said more than one thing to me have very unfortunate names. One is a man named Akira, the other is a woman named Shiho, which is pronounced she hoe. It's sad... But really funny!

So I am hopefully going to be able to have "pen pals" who speak Japanese and can correct my mistakes when I am not having lessons with my tutor.

I think that the combination of a tutor and the "pen pals" is going to be amazing, but I haven't had a chance to speak to either of them for more than a second yet.

Speaking Japanese really isn't as hard as so many people believe it is. Reading and writing it however is MUCH more difficult than most people think it is. Japanese has three sets of characters. 46 hiragana, 46 katakana, and a few thousand kanji. They also don't use spaces. Sometimes kanji represent meanings that combine to make a new word that is related to them(now+sun/day=today), sometimes they represent sounds that make a new word with a meaning unrelated to their individual meanings(the character for long life makes the su sound + the character for control making the shi sound = sushi), sometimes the kanji are just random and the meanings of the characters and the sounds don't even add up, sometimes it is a combination. The particle "wa" indicates the topic, but "wa" is represented with the letter "ha" even though a letter "wa" actually exists. I could rant about it forever. Reading and writing in Japanese sucks.
Oracle

First name: Davis
Likes received: 1

Unread postby Dervish » 23rd March, 2017, 2:56 pm

@UP

Wow, I'm really impressed. Japanese is difficult (not as much as Chinese... but still) and it sounds pretty. Mind sharing a piece of your handwriting?

As I've pointed out in another thread, I'm a big fan of Eastern languages and currently I'm learning Armenian. It's not really difficult but it uses a different approach to cases (they are more flexible, whereas English and Polish have each of them cover a certain part; in Armenian some cases have overlapping functions), has quite hard phonology to master (three different "r" and three different "h", you get it? For someone who's used to use only one "r" and "h" in his mother tongue, it's a very tricky task, I've already learnt to distinguish these sounds but still have problems with voicing them properly) and a unique script (seriously, once you learn it, it looks very beautiful).

I also hope to take up Turkish next year because my goal is to connect my univeristy final assignment to Turkic culture and a knowledge of the language might help out.

Other than that, I know Polish (lmfao), English, some Russian and Spanish. Basics of Greek (can read it), Serbo-Croatian and some Ukrainian and Belarussian (firstly because they remind Polish in terms of vocabulary, secondly because I've been used to live amongst Belarussian visitors and caught up with some phrases).
Dervish
Pompom boop

First name: Szymon
Likes received: 4

Unread postby rubytan » 23rd March, 2017, 3:30 pm

great, i still learning English & Chinese :jihad: :jihad: :jihad:
k
rubytan

First name: Bacon

Unread postby rubytan » 23rd March, 2017, 3:32 pm

also, kuvukiland language is very" important language to learn,,
k
rubytan

First name: Bacon

Unread postby Cxurujeto » 25th March, 2017, 1:26 am

In brief,
I speak Spanish and Russian
Working on my Arabic, inshallah, specifically Modern Standard Arabic MSA and Cairene Egyptian Colloquial Arabic ECA

And on the side, and in the past, I dabble hither and thither including Hungarian, Thai, Korean, Slovak, among others, also Esperanto hence my username
Taken various classes in Hebrew and Yiddish

My g-parents were each fluent in 6+ languages, so it must be in my blood

Россия, вперёд!
يا حبيبي يا عيني
Mi piel es de cuero por eso aguanta cualquier clima

ImageImageImage
Cxurujeto
Русский

First name: Benn(ett)
Likes received: 55

Team: Lion King

Unread postby Finch » 25th March, 2017, 5:59 am

Sturgis wrote:
Finch wrote:
Sturgis wrote:你好。我不懂中文...

I can tell.

我不笨!你笨!

我笨?你是吃错药了还是没吃药啊?
I finally found something to put here!

Finch
the mom friend

First name: Joseph
Likes received: 53

Unread postby Cxurujeto » 27th March, 2017, 5:59 pm

Anyone know good ways to casually upkeep a language you already have a strong ability in?
I unfortunately do not have as many opportunities to speak Spanish as before, and although my ability hasn't atrophied nearly as much as I had expected it would (due to speaking Spanish every other day, to now like, once a week or less :(), I am a little rusty when I try to reach for the more uncommon words. So the question is basically, anyone know any good methods to maintain a strong grasp on a language?
I appreciate all replies :)

ImageImageImage
Cxurujeto
Русский

Unread postby Pity » 27th March, 2017, 6:59 pm

Cxurujeto wrote:Anyone know good ways to casually upkeep a language you already have a strong ability in?
I unfortunately do not have as many opportunities to speak Spanish as before, and although my ability hasn't atrophied nearly as much as I had expected it would (due to speaking Spanish every other day, to now like, once a week or less :(), I am a little rusty when I try to reach for the more uncommon words. So the question is basically, anyone know any good methods to maintain a strong grasp on a language?

Maybe you can try using Duolingo some more? They also released a new app called Tinycards that has a plethora of Spanish vocab that can be studies.

Personally, I'm trying to collect and print out grammar and vocab lesson sheets in a binder so that I can practice with them.
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

First name: Marcus
Likes received: 428

Unread postby Cxurujeto » 28th March, 2017, 1:56 am

Pity wrote:
Cxurujeto wrote:Anyone know good ways to casually upkeep a language you already have a strong ability in?

Maybe you can try using Duolingo some more? They also released a new app called Tinycards that has a plethora of Spanish vocab that can be studies.

Personally, I'm trying to collect and print out grammar and vocab lesson sheets in a binder so that I can practice with them.

I went through all of duolingo's Spanish. Do movies or books help anyone here with what I'm saying, or newspapers, magazines? vocab sheets are nice too, do you or anyone else know some good places for them, for esoteric themes, like politics or things of that nature?

ImageImageImage
Cxurujeto
Русский

Unread postby Scherzy » 28th March, 2017, 3:19 am

Read a book lmao
If you're alone, reading out loud helps with speaking and listening
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Scherzy
Community Ambassador

First name: Aiden
Likes received: 165

Unread postby FirePhantom » 28th March, 2017, 6:11 am

I have, for a long while, been dabbling in Dutch. It's difficult to pick it up because 1) René himself thinks in English (except for counting), 2) his family and pretty much everyone we know in the Netherlands speaks perfect English and many jump on the opportunity to use it, and 3) we don't live there so it's not relevant in my day-to-day life (important for learning a language).

I also just struggle in general with language. I picked up reading English a bit later than normal (though always scored well on comprehension tests in school, and started speaking it somewhat earlier than average) and have always struggled with spelling.

It's really frustrating because I want badly to speak and understand Dutch. :(

I do Mondly and/or Duolingo almost every day.

I'm also attempting to learn Czech, since I may be a citizen by blood and it's close enough to Slovak (my maternal family's language), but with more learning options.

In high school I studied Latin, which I really liked because the grammar felt very precise and mathematical, but I started to slip behind when vocabulary requirements started growing expoenetiionally.

Where do you stack up amongst GTFers? Tell how tall you are here! Stand tall and tower over all? Or compare and despair?
FirePhantom
Valar Dohaeris

First name: Brenden
Likes received: 49

Unread postby Cxurujeto » 31st March, 2017, 1:46 pm

It is a shame that there isn't a Duolingo for Persian. I've wanted to learn it for quite some time.
I am however excited that there is a Hungarian, Romanian, and Hebrew duolingo. I used to use Memrize for Hungarian, which I spent a significant amount of time with. Same with Romanian. I look forward to the Hindi duolingo.

All I need now is to find the time.... :glasses:

If anyone knows a good source for learning Persian let me know

Also, not many people know but there is a Catalán and a Guaraní duolingo that you can access if you speak Spanish.

ImageImageImage
Cxurujeto
Русский

Unread postby User93 » 28th May, 2017, 8:17 am

Scherzy wrote:Ja parlo força castellano, i perquè més de los meus clases estan en catala, he d'aprendre-ho :)

De todos menos, paso la mayor parte de mi tiempo hablando espanol castellano.

Quan vulguis practica una mica, només digues'm-ho. Vaig estudiar a l'Autònoma de Barcelona i mesos després em vaig treure el diploma de superioritat C2, a més, sóc parlant natiu de castellà :)
User93

Likes received: 1

PreviousNext

Recently active