Avatar
Active topics
Unread | New posts
Your bookmarks
Your friends' posts
Your posts | Quotes
Welcome, CommonCrawl [Bot]!

It is currently 23rd March, 2017, 4:21 am




 Page 4 of 6 [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
Unread postPosted: 4th February, 2017, 9:54 pm 
Community Ambassador
User avatar
Offline

Posts: 6489
Likes received: 108

Joined: 15th February, 2011, 6:04 pm
Country: Belgium (be)

Team: Hogwarts
rxxli wrote:
What we seriously need for chat is a shoutbox (a box that displays the 10 most recent messages or so from chat on the board index). I still don't give a flying fuck about chat but I am not denying the fact that a constantly filling chatbox on the front page looks attractive.

Oh yes this!


  
 
Unread postPosted: 4th February, 2017, 9:56 pm 
james corden
User avatar
Online

Posts: 2142
Likes received: 125

Joined: 25th April, 2011, 10:25 pm
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada (ca)

Team: Middle Earth
we defs dont want the things we say in chat to be displayed people will take the first train out of here

2 from Tim. and Ω


  
 
Unread postPosted: 4th February, 2017, 9:57 pm 
Pseudologia Fantastica
User avatar
Online

First name: Jack
Posts: 9014
Likes received: 219

Joined: 12th June, 2012, 7:00 pm
Location: London
Country: United Kingdom (gb)
Ω wrote:
JonathanT88 wrote:
Ω wrote:
An odd observation I've made whilst looking at other active gay sites, is the type of people they attract. These sites seem to be attracting those extremely 'out there' colourful hair modern day fags, like the type you see on youtube doing make-up reviews and stuff, whereas we attract the uhh Jackeths of the gay world know what I'm saying? (Nothing wrong with this btw) So how do we appeal to these new age gays??
this probably doesn't make sense and I've offended someone sozzz


No, you're definitely right. We cut right through the new-age fag stuff you find elsewhere, and I'm pretty sure that's what makes this place special (and a whole lot less vapid).

May be so, but I also think having a few more glittery queers like Kyler or Thotiana would only make this place better :)


If we're going to be stereotypical here, a lot of 'out in the scene, colourful hair modern fags ' tend to want to have some fun - they'd probably enjoy things like the House Cup (like Thotiana an Kyler) or games on here. Or general discussion about LGBT chat. When they come to a forum and see people talking about how hot Mark Carney is, or enter chat and see a mass-debate about the failures of Hillary Clinton or how successful Donald Trump are - they're getting that shit in their classrooms at school, why do they want it on here if they're already not interesting?

I can absolutely see why someone who is a 'scene gay' wouldn't like the tone of this site.

1 from Ω


  
 
Unread postPosted: 4th February, 2017, 9:58 pm 
Community Ambassador
User avatar
Offline

Posts: 6489
Likes received: 108

Joined: 15th February, 2011, 6:04 pm
Country: Belgium (be)

Team: Hogwarts
Example wrote:
we defs dont want the things we say in chat to be displayed people will take the first train out of here

What the hell do you say in there? :err:

Maybe it can be filtered? :lol:


  
 
Unread postPosted: 4th February, 2017, 10:00 pm 
Pseudologia Fantastica
User avatar
Online

First name: Jack
Posts: 9014
Likes received: 219

Joined: 12th June, 2012, 7:00 pm
Location: London
Country: United Kingdom (gb)
KrisCross wrote:
rxxli wrote:
What we seriously need for chat is a shoutbox (a box that displays the 10 most recent messages or so from chat on the board index). I still don't give a flying fuck about chat but I am not denying the fact that a constantly filling chatbox on the front page looks attractive.

Oh yes this!


Would you suggest this in addition or as a replacement for the chatroom?

My worry if it is an addition would be it is neglected as everyone heads to the chatroom, therefore made to look empty and that suggests we're not active :P

Then if we replace chat with a shoutbox, everyone who uses the site purely for more personal interaction on chat (which, with the addition of smileys and the webcam, it is more personal that a shoutbox), would suddenly turn away?


  
 
Unread postPosted: 4th February, 2017, 10:02 pm 
Pseudologia Fantastica
User avatar
Online

First name: Jack
Posts: 9014
Likes received: 219

Joined: 12th June, 2012, 7:00 pm
Location: London
Country: United Kingdom (gb)
KrisCross wrote:
Example wrote:
we defs dont want the things we say in chat to be displayed people will take the first train out of here

What the hell do you say in there? :err:

Maybe it can be filtered? :lol:


Sometimes the conversations can be... interesting, and not necessarily the most engaging or welcoming.

Could you imagine an awkward 14 year old signing up, entering chat, and seeing this as his first conversation (right now :P)...

Image

Not that anyone there is doing anything wrong - the fact chat is like that makes it unique and funny. But I can see why it could make it difficult for a new member who is wondering WTF is going on :D

1 from Dmitzi


  
 
Unread postPosted: 4th February, 2017, 10:03 pm 
james corden
User avatar
Online

Posts: 2142
Likes received: 125

Joined: 25th April, 2011, 10:25 pm
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada (ca)

Team: Middle Earth
KrisCross wrote:
Example wrote:
we defs dont want the things we say in chat to be displayed people will take the first train out of here

What the hell do you say in there? :err:

Maybe it can be filtered? :lol:

one minute we will be solving poverty then one minute we will be saying we should remove all of pity's body parts except his head and intestines so he can be a long wormy flesh light
u just never know
the queen would be traumatized


  
 
Unread postPosted: 4th February, 2017, 10:06 pm 
Community Ambassador
User avatar
Offline

Posts: 6489
Likes received: 108

Joined: 15th February, 2011, 6:04 pm
Country: Belgium (be)

Team: Hogwarts
:lol: Okay, but maybe it's something that can be solved.

Jacketh wrote:
Would you suggest this in addition or as a replacement for the chatroom?

My worry if it is an addition would be it is neglected as everyone heads to the chatroom, therefore made to look empty and that suggests we're not active :P

Then if we replace chat with a shoutbox, everyone who uses the site purely for more personal interaction on chat (which, with the addition of smileys and the webcam, it is more personal that a shoutbox), would suddenly turn away?

How do you mean it is neglected and therefore made to look empty? I wasn't really think of it as a shoutbox which you can also send messages in, but more like a quick way of seeing what's going on in the chatroom.


  
 
Unread postPosted: 4th February, 2017, 10:10 pm 
Pseudologia Fantastica
User avatar
Online

First name: Jack
Posts: 9014
Likes received: 219

Joined: 12th June, 2012, 7:00 pm
Location: London
Country: United Kingdom (gb)
KrisCross wrote:
:lol: Okay, but maybe it's something that can be solved.

Jacketh wrote:
Would you suggest this in addition or as a replacement for the chatroom?

My worry if it is an addition would be it is neglected as everyone heads to the chatroom, therefore made to look empty and that suggests we're not active :P

Then if we replace chat with a shoutbox, everyone who uses the site purely for more personal interaction on chat (which, with the addition of smileys and the webcam, it is more personal that a shoutbox), would suddenly turn away?

How do you mean it is neglected and therefore made to look empty? I wasn't really think of it as a shoutbox which you can also send messages in, but more like a quick way of seeing what's going on in the chatroom.


Oh, I see! I thought you meant something like this: http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f237/ ... outbox.jpg

I see, I'm not sure how possible that would be.


  
 
Unread postPosted: 4th February, 2017, 10:37 pm 
james corden
User avatar
Online

Posts: 2142
Likes received: 125

Joined: 25th April, 2011, 10:25 pm
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada (ca)

Team: Middle Earth
is there a way we can get a forum game page that saves all our highscores so we can all battle for the top spots
an old forum i was on had that it was so fun


  
 
Unread postPosted: 4th February, 2017, 10:54 pm 
The Shady Moderator
User avatar
Offline

First name: Des
Posts: 9870
Likes received: 196

Joined: 16th September, 2013, 2:02 am
Country: United States (us)
If a shoutbox (disconnected from chat) and a social media feed is possible, I'm all for it.


  
 
Unread postPosted: 4th February, 2017, 10:54 pm 
The Shady Moderator
User avatar
Offline

First name: Des
Posts: 9870
Likes received: 196

Joined: 16th September, 2013, 2:02 am
Country: United States (us)
Example wrote:
is there a way we can get a forum game page that saves all our highscores so we can all battle for the top spots
an old forum i was on had that it was so fun


You're gonna have to expand on this? What does this means?


  
 
Unread postPosted: 4th February, 2017, 11:17 pm 
james corden
User avatar
Online

Posts: 2142
Likes received: 125

Joined: 25th April, 2011, 10:25 pm
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada (ca)

Team: Middle Earth
Dessy wrote:
Example wrote:
is there a way we can get a forum game page that saves all our highscores so we can all battle for the top spots
an old forum i was on had that it was so fun


You're gonna have to expand on this? What does this means?


they just had a tab called games and it was filled with arcade games like addictinggames type classic games
and when someone plays it would update the highscore list beside the game so i can come on and be like oh dessy thinks hes number one at brick breaker i guess i will have to beat him down to 2nd place


  
 
Unread postPosted: 5th February, 2017, 5:31 am 
Owner/Administrator
User avatar
Offline

First name: René
Posts: 15935
Likes received: 98

Joined: 20th December, 2007, 10:42 pm
Location: South Yorkshire
Country: United Kingdom (gb)
Jacketh wrote:
KrisCross wrote:
:lol: Okay, but maybe it's something that can be solved.

Jacketh wrote:
Would you suggest this in addition or as a replacement for the chatroom?

My worry if it is an addition would be it is neglected as everyone heads to the chatroom, therefore made to look empty and that suggests we're not active :P

Then if we replace chat with a shoutbox, everyone who uses the site purely for more personal interaction on chat (which, with the addition of smileys and the webcam, it is more personal that a shoutbox), would suddenly turn away?

How do you mean it is neglected and therefore made to look empty? I wasn't really think of it as a shoutbox which you can also send messages in, but more like a quick way of seeing what's going on in the chatroom.

Oh, I see! I thought you meant something like this: http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f237/ ... outbox.jpg

I see, I'm not sure how possible that would be.

Very possible. It already keeps a record of public messages, so it could be as simple as writing a little script to show just the last few messages, putting that in an iframe and having it reload every few seconds.

That would be a bit messy, though. An AJAX implementation would be a lot smoother and would mean it wouldn't have to reload the whole iframe all the time just to check for new messages (in the same way threads don't need to reload when you press the like button).

It could go in the box thingy you can see on the right side of the index in the Quarto preview.

This seems like a good change to go along with the name change :keke:

2 from Jacketh and KrisCross


  
 
Unread postPosted: 5th February, 2017, 7:06 am 
The Defender of Europe
User avatar
Offline

First name: Andrej
Posts: 4251
Likes received: 21

Joined: 26th April, 2012, 3:12 pm
Location: Slovenia
Country: Slovenia (si)
KrisCross wrote:
I wasn't really think of it as a shoutbox which you can also send messages in, but more like a quick way of seeing what's going on in the chatroom.

This is exactly what I was thinking of.

I don't think that most people will be turned off by what is going on in chat. Because those that join are usually the slightly crazy ones that will enjoy the humor of it :D .

1 from KrisCross


  
 
Unread postPosted: 5th February, 2017, 8:12 am 
Coca-Cola Poster BOY, Community Ambassador
User avatar
Offline

Posts: 4475
Likes received: 125

Joined: 18th August, 2014, 1:59 pm
Location: pylon jerusalem

Team: Coruscant
I think what people have said about chat messages perhaps not being the best first impression is a valid point- a lot of random rubbish is said in chat that is usually either incredibly weird or just dull.

Also, I don't find that seeing shoutboxes makes me want to enter a chatroom or join a site- if anything, the fact that people are already friends is quite intimidating :( It just makes you constantly feel like you'd be intruding on somebody else's conversation, or that it's not 'for you'.

Perhaps if it were to display recent forum posts it'd be more welcoming- it'd give an example of the kinds of welcomes and advice that we give, as well as drawing interest to threads which one might not otherwise have read.
Just a thought :p

Sig wrote:
muddylegs wrote:
One of my best friends runs a popular LGBTQ account (over 25,000 followers)


Get him to advertise for us. ;)

If we were to go ahead and make an instagram account I'm sure I could sneakily ask him to give us a shout out ;p


  
 
Unread postPosted: 5th February, 2017, 10:02 am 
hotty
User avatar
Offline

First name: Danny
Posts: 1651
Likes received: 163

Joined: 19th July, 2015, 11:50 pm
Location: Salem, AK
Country: United States (us)

Team: Middle Earth
How about a popup box that shows up when there are, say, 4 or more people in the chat?


  
 
Unread postPosted: 5th February, 2017, 10:07 am 
james corden
User avatar
Online

Posts: 2142
Likes received: 125

Joined: 25th April, 2011, 10:25 pm
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada (ca)

Team: Middle Earth
how about a shoutbox we fill with a ton of really nice fake generated messages to constantly play so we can trick people

2 from muddylegs and Anonymous Boy


  
 
Unread postPosted: 5th February, 2017, 10:25 am 
Community Ambassador
User avatar
Offline

Posts: 6489
Likes received: 108

Joined: 15th February, 2011, 6:04 pm
Country: Belgium (be)

Team: Hogwarts
muddylegs wrote:
I think what people have said about chat messages perhaps not being the best first impression is a valid point- a lot of random rubbish is said in chat that is usually either incredibly weird or just dull.

Also, I don't find that seeing shoutboxes makes me want to enter a chatroom or join a site- if anything, the fact that people are already friends is quite intimidating :( It just makes you constantly feel like you'd be intruding on somebody else's conversation, or that it's not 'for you'.

Perhaps if it were to display recent forum posts it'd be more welcoming- it'd give an example of the kinds of welcomes and advice that we give, as well as drawing interest to threads which one might not otherwise have read.
Just a thought :p

I do understand these concerns. Maybe there can be a 'Welcome' chatroom for new members or something, to avoid bad first impressions and make it seem less intimidating. Either way, I think the chat should somehow be more integrated on the forums.

I also feel like entering a chat in a community like GTF is always going to be a little bit intimidating. Having to log on and be visible for everyone just to see what the conversation is like, might be more scary for some people than if they could see what's going on first and then decide whether they feel comfortable enough to join.

3 from Jacketh, muddylegs and Anonymous Boy


  
 
Unread postPosted: 5th February, 2017, 10:58 am 
The Defender of Europe
User avatar
Offline

First name: Andrej
Posts: 4251
Likes received: 21

Joined: 26th April, 2012, 3:12 pm
Location: Slovenia
Country: Slovenia (si)
muddylegs wrote:
I think what people have said about chat messages perhaps not being the best first impression is a valid point- a lot of random rubbish is said in chat that is usually either incredibly weird or just dull.

Also, I don't find that seeing shoutboxes makes me want to enter a chatroom or join a site- if anything, the fact that people are already friends is quite intimidating :( It just makes you constantly feel like you'd be intruding on somebody else's conversation, or that it's not 'for you'.

Perhaps if it were to display recent forum posts it'd be more welcoming- it'd give an example of the kinds of welcomes and advice that we give, as well as drawing interest to threads which one might not otherwise have read.
Just a thought :p

I disagree. Members that join and stay aren't those who came to this site looking for safe spaces and shit. And pretending that we are something that we are not will not do anyone any good. We are a community of weird people. Embrace it.

I think that people will join especially because of the sense of the community out here. When I first came to GTF I was just looking at some of the threads that we consider "weird". And I would have left without giving it a second thought if that was the only thing there. But I saw that people actually talked to each other like they knew one another. And that meant a lot to me. That's why I made an account and my first intro thread.

Besides... a primary reason for the shoutbox is so that people see the activity. It isn't because we particularly want to expose them to whatever shit goes in there. It is so that they see a constant stream of messages being generated which indicates that not everything is dead.

And if we are renaming the forum to forum and chat then it's only logical that we actually expose the chat to random guests as well.

1 from Anonymous Boy


  
 
 Page 4 of 6 [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Time zone: America/New_York [ DST ]


Recently active

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot], Cobalt, CommonCrawl [Bot], MSNbot Media, Stark and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  


Terms of use | Privacy policy

phpBB skin developed by: phpBB Headquarters
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group