Forum Activity & Changes

Off-topic posts go in here; this forum is only loosely moderated.

Re: Forum Activity, Changes, & New Community Ambassador Role Applicati

Unread postby Sturgis » 11th February, 2017, 3:17 pm

jon I hate you
Sturgis
Address me as: Jimmy Neutron or JAKEPOP

Likes received: 33

Unread postby JonathanT88 » 11th February, 2017, 4:03 pm

Sturgis wrote:jon I hate you

:heart: :heart: :heart:
Gudrun wrote:

"How many times have I told you? Homosexuality is only to be used for revolutionary purposes!"

ImageImage

ImageImageImage
JonathanT88
Horny Jonathan of the Homosexual Intifada

First name: Jonathan (duh.)
Likes received: 345

Unread postby Auralnauts » 11th February, 2017, 7:05 pm

I hope I get accepted.

"Gives the best advice"
-No one
Auralnauts
No interesting title here.

Likes received: 3

Unread postby Pity » 11th February, 2017, 7:16 pm

Auralnauts wrote:I hope I get accepted.

Me too.

Pity
hotty & disgraced member

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 246

Unread postby ad-hominem » 15th February, 2017, 10:33 am

For all intents and purposes, this site is moderated by children. Which to me is a problem.

It's always nice to ask for input from the community but to run a business (which essentially is what this is) you need the people above to make decisions and come up with ideas. Seems a bit redundant to ask the people who are already here what would make new people flock to the site. The answer is probably a lot broader than anyone here is capable of assessing.

I wish you the best of luck, though. Years ago I used to LOVE coming onto GTF. It would be nice to capture some of that back and instill it in new members.
:heart: Image :heart:
ad-hominem
Will psychoanalyse your cock.

Unread postby Ω » 15th February, 2017, 11:03 am

ad-hominem wrote:For all intents and purposes, this site is moderated by children. Which to me is a problem.

It's always nice to ask for input from the community but to run a business (which essentially is what this is) you need the people above to make decisions and come up with ideas. Seems a bit redundant to ask the people who are already here what would make new people flock to the site. The answer is probably a lot broader than anyone here is capable of assessing.

I wish you the best of luck, though. Years ago I used to LOVE coming onto GTF. It would be nice to capture some of that back and instill it in new members.

Odd observation considering the majority of the mod team are adults and the ones that aren't are extremely mature and intelligent.
Vice Captain of 2016 House Cup champions Team Middle Earth

Ω
The Black Poolerboy

First name: Ethan
Likes received: 314

Unread postby ad-hominem » 15th February, 2017, 11:34 am

Ω wrote:
ad-hominem wrote:For all intents and purposes, this site is moderated by children. Which to me is a problem.

Odd observation considering the majority of the mod team are adults and the ones that aren't are extremely mature and intelligent.

More than happy to retract that, I don't know who is moderating the site lately. But when I see them they're usually young. :)
:heart: Image :heart:
ad-hominem
Will psychoanalyse your cock.

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 15th February, 2017, 6:37 pm

ad-hominem wrote:
Ω wrote:

More than happy to retract that, I don't know who is moderating the site lately. But when I see them they're usually young. :)

Jack, Des, JT and Joe are adults, and Jon is a highly mature teenager.
House Cup 2016 - Team Westeros

TheBrunswickian
Jesslut, Community Ambassador

Likes received: 260

Unread postby Dessy » 15th February, 2017, 6:42 pm

When did we ever had underage mods excluding Jonathan and Stark? :skull:

ImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImageImage
Dessy
The Shady Moderator

First name: Des

Unread postby Pity » 16th February, 2017, 4:58 pm

Can the site get an SSL certificate already, please?
It is hurting SEO and makes the site appear less secure on Google Chrome.
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

Unread postby Anonymous Boy » 18th February, 2017, 9:02 am

Pity wrote:Can the site get an SSL certificate already, please?
It is hurting SEO and makes the site appear less secure on Google Chrome.

We've had one for a while now... Did you not see my reply to your earlier post?

Anonymous Boy wrote:
Pity wrote:René, you should really take care of search engine optimization (SEO). Basically, it's how well new members can find the website on search engines.

Using https://website.grader.com/results/gayteenforum.org we can see you're lacking a few essentials:

A) Meta Description: Basically, a relevant summary of a page.
B) Headings: Tags that tell what that page is.
C) Sitemap: This tells search engines where all your pages are.
D) SSL: This secures user information being sent to the website. It's not needed, but Google is now docking SEO for not having one.

These can all be fixed with a few lines of HTML or a few clicks. You can easily get an SSL with your host or CloudFlare (free), which I personally use.

The lack of mobile compatabilty is hurting too, but I suppose that should be fixed with the new theme.

Thanks, I do know what SEO and SSL are ;)

1. Meta description and keywords have been present for 9+ years. You were understandably confused by the Website Grader thingy's way of presenting things, but if you look closely, what it actually says is that the description is there but it reckons the current one is 16 characters too long, so that's obviously something we'll have to take into account as we recast it.
  2. We actually do have headings, just not every single one WG likes to see. I'll see about adding more and cleaning them up in case it makes a difference!
  3. I'll be sure to check out phpBB extensions to provide a sitemap as well :keke:
  4. That's an interesting phrasing! "Docking our search-engine optimization" doesn't sound like something Google has the ability to do :P

What I think you mean is that Google punishes sites that do not support HTTPS by a minuscule amount that they themselves say is extremely unlikely to make any difference to your ranking in any searches.

But! As it happens, I recently set up HTTPS support. I wasn't going to mention it or default everyone to it until I was sure everything worked correctly and it wouldn't hurt our rankings, which is something that can happen, but if you'd checked the WG report in the last 4 days or so anytime this month, you would have seen that it actually gives us a score of 10 out of 10 for security, saying "Safe and secure. Nice job." :D

Similarly, SSL Labs gives us an A rating.

Check it out: https://www.gayteenforum.org
    Closet version: https://www.gt-forum.org
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Anonymous Boy
Owner/Administrator

First name: René
Likes received: 158

Unread postby Pity » 18th February, 2017, 10:29 am

The SSL certificate doesn't appear on any browsers/devices I use, but I'll believe you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

Unread postby Anonymous Boy » 18th February, 2017, 10:59 am

Pity wrote:The SSL certificate doesn't appear on any browsers/devices I use, but I'll believe you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't believe me — believe SSL Labs and Website Grader etc. :keke:

Anonymous Boy
Owner/Administrator

Unread postby Anonymous Boy » 21st February, 2017, 5:24 pm

Anonymous Boy wrote:
Jacketh wrote:Perhaps we can spice our current chat up a little... Rene, do you know if there any way we can add additional smileys? The basic-ass smileys have always bugged me :P I've seen other chats using 123Flashchat have their own additional smileys, I'm just not sure how they're doing it.

I'm not sure either! I know how to add "Flash emotions" (but not why anyone would want to do such a thing).

I now know why I haven't been able to figure out how to add our own smileys: the greedy bastards who created 123FlashChat apparently wanted to be paid $100 for every dozen custom smileys added. They don't seem to exist anymore, but I've just discovered this on a mirror of the missing 123flashchat.com website:

Smiley Customization Service
We charge one hour of extra developing fee ($100) for adding every 12 smileys. (24 smileys costs $200.)

So that must be how those other sites did it: they paid some multiple of $100 for however many custom smileys they had. :facepalm2:
Anonymous Boy
Owner/Administrator

Unread postby Jacketh » 21st February, 2017, 5:50 pm

Anonymous Boy wrote:
Jacketh wrote:
KrisCross wrote::lol: Okay, but maybe it's something that can be solved.

Jacketh wrote:Would you suggest this in addition or as a replacement for the chatroom?

My worry if it is an addition would be it is neglected as everyone heads to the chatroom, therefore made to look empty and that suggests we're not active :P

Then if we replace chat with a shoutbox, everyone who uses the site purely for more personal interaction on chat (which, with the addition of smileys and the webcam, it is more personal that a shoutbox), would suddenly turn away?

How do you mean it is neglected and therefore made to look empty? I wasn't really think of it as a shoutbox which you can also send messages in, but more like a quick way of seeing what's going on in the chatroom.

Oh, I see! I thought you meant something like this: http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f237/ ... outbox.jpg

I see, I'm not sure how possible that would be.

Very possible. It already keeps a record of public messages, so it could be as simple as writing a little script to show just the last few messages, putting that in an iframe and having it reload every few seconds.

That would be a bit messy, though. An AJAX implementation would be a lot smoother and would mean it wouldn't have to reload the whole iframe all the time just to check for new messages (in the same way threads don't need to reload when you press the like button).

It could go in the box thingy you can see on the right side of the index in the Quarto preview.

This seems like a good change to go along with the name change :keke:

Does anyone else have any feedback in regards to this?

Having thought about it, I think it would be a very good idea.

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
Jacketh
Administrator

First name: Jack
Likes received: 358

Unread postby Example » 21st February, 2017, 6:24 pm

i love it
ImageImageImageImage
Example
James Corden

First name: Kyler
Likes received: 215

Unread postby Pity » 22nd February, 2017, 12:56 am

Idk. Something kind of irks me about knowing random users are watching my personal conversations, even if it is public chat.
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

Unread postby freakism » 22nd February, 2017, 6:05 am

Pity wrote:Idk. Something kind of irks me about knowing random users are watching my personal conversations, even if it is public chat.

Same here.

Considering that we now let in guest users I'm not sure how worthwhile this will be. I'd rather have people be made to go into the chat instead of just sat there watching what's going on. We were discussing paedophillia yesterday as well, and for that to show up on the front page might be... less good - especially as someone can't be quickly brought up to date on what on earth is going on in chat if they're just lurking on the front page watching it.
GTF House Cup 2016 - Team Middle Earth
Alldeutscher Bund in the World Powers Game
freakism
Head tllt boy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

First name: Harry
Likes received: 85

Unread postby KrisCross » 22nd February, 2017, 6:32 am

Jacketh wrote:Does anyone else have any feedback in regards to this?

Having thought about it, I think it would be a very good idea.

Seeing as there are some concerns about certain topics being inappropriate for the front page, maybe it's worth thinking about how they could be filtered or something first?

Maybe it can be like a 'best off' thing. Like the Chat Screenshot thread, but less... explicit? :P
KrisCross

Likes received: 139

Re: Forum Activity & Changes

Unread postby Jacketh » 4th April, 2017, 8:46 pm

Just an update on this:

- We will have a poll very shortly for what colour the new theme should be. We cannot agree on what shade of blue should be our default, so this will be decided in a poll to members. This should happen in the next couple of days.

- Quarto will become the default theme once we figure the above out.

- The Community Ambassadors will then be expected to perform more duties in regards to social media and site activity.

- The Community Ambassadors activity will be assessed and necessary changes made shortly.

- A donation drive will happen in Easter.

- At least one Moderator should be appointed fairly shortly.

I hope that is okay :)

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
Jacketh
Administrator

First name: Jack
Likes received: 358

PreviousNext

Recently active