Using GTF Like a Pro

Off-topic posts go in here; this forum is only loosely moderated.

Using GTF Like a Pro

Unread postby rxxli » 28th May, 2016, 9:40 pm

During my time around this place I've noticed that some people still aren't aware of all the wonderful features offered by this forum. So I've decided to document them in a nice and easy guide (with pictures) to make your life easier. I am well aware that some are pretty straightforward, but some are not.

These are in no order... I will add more when I think of any. Feel free to share any of your own.

1. Use bookmarks

This forum offers a really nice bookmark feature. This enables you to save interesting threads for later (if you want to see the story developing or something). No need to remember the topic name, where it was posted, ridiculous searching, ... It's a primary way of using this forum for me personally.

To access them just click on the "Your bookmarks" link next to your profile. And to add or remove a thread from bookmarks just click the appropriate button at the top of the thread:

2. Link to a specific post

Sometimes during a conversation you may wish to point the other person to a specific post made in another thread. To do that you can post a link that will take the user directly to that post. To do that use the icon in the top right corner of the post:

Left clicking it will take you to the top of that post and your address bar in your browser will display something like this:

You can also just right click that icon and select the "Copy link address" option from the drop down menu (the exact title depends on the web browser you are using).

3. Multi quote like a pro

Sometimes you may wish to quote multiple posts from other people. Here are two tips to do this more efficiently.

• As normal select the reply button or click on the first post that you want to quote.
  • Place the text cursor (also called caret - the blinky thing that indicates where you will be typing the text) to the position where you want to insert the text (shown on image with number 3).
  • On the bottom of the page you can see a window showing the latest posts in the thread. You can of course scroll up and down that list as normal. So find the post that you want to quote first, then:
  • Just press the button indicated with the arrow number 2 if you want to quote the entire post. This will insert the text to the position that you selected earlier.
  • If you only want to quote a small bit of the message: Select the text that you want to quote (indicated with the arrow number 1) and then press the quote button (indicated with the arrow number 2). This will only quote the selected text:

4. Find all messages from a specific poster in some thread

During the process of stalking someone :D you often want to see all of the posts that this person made in some specific topic. To do that first open the topic then select "Who posted?" button at the top. This will list all of the members that posted in a specific topic. With a number of posts that they made. Clicking the number of posts next to the persons nick will then show you just the posts from that person.

5. Jump to the first unread post in a topic

When you are browsing the forum the color of the topic tells you if you have any unread messages in that topic or not. But there is also an additional feature in there. Instead of clicking the topic name to open the topic, click the little icon next to it. Clicking this icon will take you to the first unread message in the topic.

6. Never post images with spoiler tags

This forum has a feature that automatically resizes the images to the width of the forum. This prevents the forum layout from breaking. When you add spoiler tags around the image this feature stops working. This makes others (mainly me) really unhappy. So just post an image and do not use spoilers. People will like you more :lol: .

Also - don't worry about making images smaller. Higher resolution images are better for pretty much everyone. They look nicer, hold more detail and are automatically resized to fit on screen. Plus they require less work on your part.

7. Use advanced topic lists

We have already discussed one of the advanced topic list features before (see tip number 1). So let's explain what the others do...

• Your posts: Lists the topics in which you have posted before
  • Quotes: Lists all of the posts where someone has quoted you
  • Your friends' posts: Shows a list of recent posts (ordered by date) made by your friends. You can add a specific member to your friends list by opening their profile (click on their username) and selecting the "Add friend" option. Adding a member to your friends lists will not notify that member or anything like that. This option can be used for stalking :P .
  • Your bookmarks: See the tip number 1 for more details on this feature.
  • Unread: Shows a list of recently active topics that have unread posts.
  • New posts: According to PhpBB this should display a list of topics that have new posts from your last login. To be honest - I've never used it so I can't vouch that this is really working like that.
  • Active topics: Pretty much the equivalent to the Unread option - except that this one shows topics that you have already read as well.
Last edited by Jacketh on 24th May, 2017, 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added tip number 7
rxxli
The Defender of Europe

First name: Andrej
Likes received: 41

Re: Using forums like a pro

Unread postby Dessy » 28th May, 2016, 9:49 pm

I had no idea about 3 :rip:

Also this should be pinned.

ImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImageImage
Dessy
The Shady Moderator

First name: Des
Likes received: 259

Team: Spirited Away

Unread postby Jacketh » 28th May, 2016, 9:52 pm

*insert clap smiley that we can't have*

Very good post. I'm personally surprised at the amount of people who ignore active topics on the top right - I only ever use that to browse.

I'll pin it and link it in the introduction to new members. Can we rename it "How to use GTF like a pro", though?

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
Jacketh
Administrator

First name: Jack
Likes received: 381

Unread postby Thotiana » 28th May, 2016, 10:05 pm

Omg I do six so much :wtc: I never knew that :c But know I do :keke: Thank you for this :keke: I also never knew about 5 :pfft:
Thotiana
Classy Hoe

First name: Steven
Likes received: 5

Unread postby rxxli » 28th May, 2016, 10:07 pm

Jacketh wrote:Can we rename it "How to use GTF like a pro", though?

Sure!
rxxli
The Defender of Europe

Unread postby Quinn » 28th May, 2016, 10:16 pm

1. This is an excellent resource, man. Well-documented and easy for folks to learn from. Thanks!

2. If you play Mafia on the forum, you should really commit these tips to memory. They greatly improve your ability to organize thoughts and respond efficiently in a busy thread. Tips 3 through 5 are KEY.

3. I'm so glad you used the Butts Survey thread for visual aid. :rofl2:

I'm rating a thread for the first time in months lol.
(edit: I wonder how many users don't know about rating threads?)
Quinn

Likes received: 2

Unread postby Cobalt » 28th May, 2016, 10:59 pm

Jacketh wrote:*insert clap smiley that we can't have*

We must instate a revolution.

Quinn wrote:2. If you play Mafia on the forum, you should really commit these tips to memory. They greatly improve your ability to organize thoughts and respond efficiently in a busy thread. Tips 3 through 5 are KEY.

Yessss.

I will likely create a hyperlink on the rota thread / beginner's guide with a short blurb on how these tips help for ISO and such.
Cobalt
The Momderator

Likes received: 83

Re: Using GTF Like a Pro

Unread postby mattyk » 29th May, 2016, 1:20 am

Bravo, Andrej :thumbsup:
One can pay back the loan of gold,
but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind.
- Malaysian proverb

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImage
mattyk
House Cup Host & Judge

First name: Matty

Unread postby MoonBear » 29th May, 2016, 6:35 am

You forgot the active topics though, many people arent aware of it. Like jack, i only browse the forum with active topics.
ImageImageImageImage

ImageImage.ImageImageImageImage
MoonBear
Formerly Rct3swp/Space Beard

First name: Karim
Likes received: 12

Unread postby rxxli » 29th May, 2016, 6:39 am

Space Beard wrote:You forgot the active topics though, many people arent aware of it. Like jack, i only browse the forum with active topics.

Not really forgot. I just thought that enough people are aware of it and know how to use it.
rxxli
The Defender of Europe

Unread postby thaprot » 29th May, 2016, 6:41 am

Half of these even I didn't know. :rofl2:

There's also the 'active topics' section and another new one I learned from just underneath that, which is 'Quotes'. Clicking that shows all posts of yours that have been quoted - AB wrote the entire code for that from scratch apparently.
My inbox is always open, feel free to PM me if you need a friendly face, some advice or just fancy a chat! :)

Similarly, if you need any moddy stuff done and nobody is online, PMs to me send a direct email to my phone so I'll do my best to help ASAP.

Jacketh wrote:Oh, damn. Ignore me. Listen to Josh.
thaprot
taproot the grumpy cat

First name: Josh
Likes received: 4

Unread postby Hyacinth » 29th May, 2016, 7:51 am

Dessy wrote:I had no idea about 3 :rip:

Also this should be pinned.

Oh my god same, this will make my life so much easier :rip:

thank you Andrej, yes this should be pinned :heart:
Hyacinth
Formerly 'Jan'

First name: Jan
Likes received: 15

Unread postby muddylegs » 29th May, 2016, 9:50 am

I've been here for almost two years and had no idea about these :rip: Thank you ever so much :P
[6:50 PM] Flaggermus: muddy you cant just lynch people
[11:09 AM] TheWoahAlex: you can't lynch everyone!
[9:14 PM] Mestaris: MUDDY YOU CANT LYNCH PEOPLE. LYNCHING PEOPLE IS NOT A SOLUTION
[2:32 PM] Zefare: Muddy, you can't just lynch people!
[2:23 PM] bettasnail: you have a thing for lynching ppl don't you
[7:59 PM] AwesomeCDog: muddyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy not everyone is ready and willing to hurt others
[9:42 PM] matiboi96: Lol rob you can't just order someone to amputate themselves!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

[5:32 PM] Tyler: Fuck me sideways and call me grandma

[7:38 PM] Mestaris: your fetishes are worse than mine

Scherzy wrote:wonderfully creative, awesomely cute, horribly funny, uncomfortably morbid, relatively fucked-up, and outright twisted
muddylegs
Coca-Cola Poster BOY

Likes received: 136

Unread postby Saint Drogo » 29th May, 2016, 10:12 am

God dang it, I was hoping to get around to make one of these. Number 5 completely blew my mind. Good job, Andrej. Hvala ti.
ImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

The Official, three-time winner, of GTF's Reclusive Wanker. Entirely made up, but surprisingly made official.
Saint Drogo
Saint of Weird

First name: Fluffy
Likes received: 71

Unread postby Angelic Haze » 29th May, 2016, 10:19 am

Oh how number 3 is going to be used in Mafia....
Angelic Haze
Naturally Scummy

First name: Kaine
Likes received: 12

Unread postby rxxli » 29th May, 2016, 11:59 am

I've added tip number 7 that explains the advanced topics listing/search features.

Please note that some of these options are GTF specific - they were developed by AB/René specifically for this forum - Quotes option being one of them.
rxxli
The Defender of Europe

Unread postby Vortex » 29th May, 2016, 12:11 pm

Sporadically shitpost for 8 years.
/thread
ImageImage

Ebsy wrote:Leave it to losers on Twitter to complain about being pandered to. You're supposed to complain when someone panders to others, not to you.
[4:46 AM] Saint Drogo: Also, you've got a strangely appealing asshole. I'll give you that much.
[6:03 AM] Pity: Omg... stop making me sound like a racist idiot
[4:51 AM] Scherzy: jerk off to clinton in the safety of your own bedroom luv
[2:56 PM] Saint Drogo: Literally let me use my cock as a paintbrush and my unborn children as paint.
Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

First name: Da'Neil Boxley
Likes received: 224

Team: Spirited Away

Unread postby Thotiana » 29th May, 2016, 2:21 pm

You can have friends on here? :rofl:
Thotiana
Classy Hoe

First name: Steven
Likes received: 5

Unread postby Stripy Tiger » 29th May, 2016, 2:37 pm

I knew all of this except bookmark and active topic. (Well used them anyway). But that aside, this will be very useful for new members.
Stripy Tiger

Unread postby Dennis » 5th June, 2016, 11:32 am

Number 5 will actually save me about an hour every day, trying to press the page number on a phone is not fun. Thanks for this

Nvm it's just as f**king small.
Dennis
Jack's creative hoe

Next

Recently active