During my time around this place I've noticed that some people still aren't aware of all the wonderful features offered by this forum. So I've decided to document them in a nice and easy guide (with pictures) to make your life easier. I am well aware that some are pretty straightforward, but some are not.
These are in no order... I will add more when I think of any. Feel free to share any of your own.
1. Use bookmarks
This forum offers a really nice bookmark feature. This enables you to save interesting threads for later (if you want to see the story developing or something). No need to remember the topic name, where it was posted, ridiculous searching, ... It's a primary way of using this forum for me personally.
To access them just click on the "Your bookmarks" link next to your profile. And to add or remove a thread from bookmarks just click the appropriate button at the top of the thread:
2. Link to a specific post
Sometimes during a conversation you may wish to point the other person to a specific post made in another thread. To do that you can post a link that will take the user directly to that post. To do that use the icon in the top right corner of the post:
Left clicking it will take you to the top of that post and your address bar in your browser will display something like this:
You can also just right click that icon and select the "Copy link address" option from the drop down menu (the exact title depends on the web browser you are using).
3. Multi quote like a pro
Sometimes you may wish to quote multiple posts from other people. Here are two tips to do this more efficiently.
- As normal select the reply button or click on the first post that you want to quote.
- Place the text cursor (also called caret - the blinky thing that indicates where you will be typing the text) to the position where you want to insert the text (shown on image with number 3).
- On the bottom of the page you can see a window showing the latest posts in the thread. You can of course scroll up and down that list as normal. So find the post that you want to quote first, then:
- Just press the button indicated with the arrow number 2 if you want to quote the entire post. This will insert the text to the position that you selected earlier.
- If you only want to quote a small bit of the message: Select the text that you want to quote (indicated with the arrow number 1) and then press the quote button (indicated with the arrow number 2). This will only quote the selected text:
4. Find all messages from a specific poster in some thread
During the process of stalking someone
you often want to see all of the posts that this person made in some specific topic. To do that first open the topic then select "Who posted?" button at the top. This will list all of the members that posted in a specific topic. With a number of posts that they made. Clicking the number of posts next to the persons nick will then show you just the posts from that person.
5. Jump to the first unread post in a topic
When you are browsing the forum the color of the topic tells you if you have any unread messages in that topic or not. But there is also an additional feature in there. Instead of clicking the topic name to open the topic, click the little icon next to it. Clicking this icon will take you to the first unread message in the topic.
6. Never post images with spoiler tags
This forum has a feature that automatically resizes the images to the width of the forum. This prevents the forum layout from breaking. When you add spoiler tags around the image this feature stops working. This makes others (mainly me) really unhappy. So just post an image and do not use spoilers. People will like you more
Also - don't worry about making images smaller. Higher resolution images are better for pretty much everyone. They look nicer, hold more detail and are automatically resized to fit on screen. Plus they require less work on your part.
7. Use advanced topic lists
We have already discussed one of the advanced topic list features before (see tip number 1). So let's explain what the others do...
- Your posts: Lists the topics in which you have posted before
- Quotes: Lists all of the posts where someone has quoted you
- Your friends' posts: Shows a list of recent posts (ordered by date) made by your friends. You can add a specific member to your friends list by opening their profile (click on their username) and selecting the "Add friend" option. Adding a member to your friends lists will not notify that member or anything like that. This option can be used for stalking .
- Your bookmarks: See the tip number 1 for more details on this feature.
- Unread: Shows a list of recently active topics that have unread posts.
- New posts: According to PhpBB this should display a list of topics that have new posts from your last login. To be honest - I've never used it so I can't vouch that this is really working like that.
- Active topics: Pretty much the equivalent to the Unread option - except that this one shows topics that you have already read as well.