What made you sad recently?

Feeling happy, sad or excited about something? Seen a great movie? Write about your day in these long-running threads.

Re: What made you sad recently?

Unread postby muddylegs » 9th September, 2016, 12:42 pm

Face blindness is a lot more common than people think it is.

You can still instantly recognise someone, cause you'll think "x has dark hair, green eyes and is very attractive", but your mind won't actually be able to make an image of their face.

There's nothing unusual or bad about it, don't let it get you down!
[6:50 PM] Flaggermus: muddy you cant just lynch people
[11:09 AM] TheWoahAlex: you can't lynch everyone!
[9:14 PM] Mestaris: MUDDY YOU CANT LYNCH PEOPLE. LYNCHING PEOPLE IS NOT A SOLUTION
[2:32 PM] Zefare: Muddy, you can't just lynch people!
[2:23 PM] bettasnail: you have a thing for lynching ppl don't you
[7:59 PM] AwesomeCDog: muddyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy not everyone is ready and willing to hurt others
[9:42 PM] matiboi96: Lol rob you can't just order someone to amputate themselves!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

[5:32 PM] Tyler: Fuck me sideways and call me grandma

[7:38 PM] Mestaris: your fetishes are worse than mine

Scherzy wrote:wonderfully creative, awesomely cute, horribly funny, uncomfortably morbid, relatively fucked-up, and outright twisted
User avatar
muddylegs
Coca-Cola Poster BOY
 
Posts: 4500
Likes received: 140
Joined: 18th August, 2014, 1:59 pm
Location: pylon jerusalem

Re: What made you sad recently?

Unread postby Hohenidoom » 9th September, 2016, 1:07 pm

muddylegs wrote:Face blindness is a lot more common than people think it is.

You can still instantly recognise someone, cause you'll think "x has dark hair, green eyes and is very attractive", but your mind won't actually be able to make an image of their face.

There's nothing unusual or bad about it, don't let it get you down!


you nearly got it right, apart from the fact I have light brown eys
Fear God and Dread nought
User avatar
Hohenidoom
dodgy 90s dance guy
 
Posts: 2008
Likes received: 49
Joined: 10th May, 2015, 6:34 am

Re: What made you sad recently?

Unread postby rxxli » 9th September, 2016, 1:08 pm

Finch wrote:
rxxli wrote:I can't visualize and remember people either. I pretty much can't even remember someones hair color let alone their face. That's why I can't describe how someone looks even if I've known them for years.

I can visualize other things though. But it's pretty hard to do straight from memory.

Wait so you're telling me that you can't see people's faces in your mind's eye on command?

Nope.
User avatar
rxxli
The Defender of Europe
 
First name: Andrej
Posts: 4336
Likes received: 53
Joined: 26th April, 2012, 3:12 pm
Location: Slovenia
Country: Slovenia (si)

Re: What made you sad recently?

Unread postby Jacketh » 9th September, 2016, 1:27 pm

muddylegs wrote:Face blindness is a lot more common than people think it is.

You can still instantly recognise someone, cause you'll think "x has dark hair, green eyes and is very attractive", but your mind won't actually be able to make an image of their face.

There's nothing unusual or bad about it, don't let it get you down!


I think Josh has the same thing. It's interesting to try and think about, as I really couldn't imagine not being able to picture things.

What is it like reading literature, then? A big part of that to me is the imagery and building up a picture in my head of what its like. Do you just "describe" what its like in your head without seeing it?

It is quite a head fuck :runaway:
Image
User avatar
Jacketh
Admin
 
First name: Jack
Posts: 10091
Likes received: 598
Joined: 12th June, 2012, 7:00 pm
Location: London
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What made you sad recently?

Unread postby KrisCross » 9th September, 2016, 2:20 pm

But is it just for faces or for every kind of visual thinking? And what about feelings, smells, taste etc.? Can you imagine those?

I have lots of questions.
User avatar
KrisCross
Senior Moderator
 
Posts: 6749
Likes received: 243
Joined: 15th February, 2011, 6:04 pm
Country: Belgium (be)

Re: What made you sad recently?

Unread postby rxxli » 9th September, 2016, 2:35 pm

muddylegs wrote:Face blindness is a lot more common than people think it is.

You can still instantly recognise someone, cause you'll think "x has dark hair, green eyes and is very attractive", but your mind won't actually be able to make an image of their face.

There's nothing unusual or bad about it, don't let it get you down!

I don't think that this necessarily means face blindness. I just can't imagine someones face and picture it in my head. I don't have that much trouble recognizing people for the most part - though seeing someone on the street and figuring out if it is someone that I know or not can sometimes be difficult.

The Cambridge face memory test gives me 88% which is considered quite normal:
http://www.bbk.ac.uk/psychology/psychol ... tartup.php
User avatar
rxxli
The Defender of Europe
 
First name: Andrej
Posts: 4336
Likes received: 53
Joined: 26th April, 2012, 3:12 pm
Location: Slovenia
Country: Slovenia (si)

Re: What made you sad recently?

Unread postby freakism » 9th September, 2016, 2:36 pm

I don't have face blindness, I know what people look like and recognise them when I see them- it's just that my "mind's eye" is in effect blind so I can't imagine them and picture them in my head. It's been called "aphantasia".

This is a good article about what it's like, although I did read it and for the most part go "oh, I'm like that" there are a few times where I differ from him slightly.

I can remember things that give me emotions, but "picturing" or "imagining" emotions/smells/sounds as it were I can't do. (I was about to add "and I'm not sure if being to is normal" but then I assumed it was normal to think in only words for almost 19 years)
GTF House Cup 2016 - Team Middle Earth
User avatar
freakism
Head tllt boy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
First name: Harry
Posts: 504
Likes received: 132
Joined: 13th June, 2016, 12:44 pm
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Team: The Far East

Re: What made you sad recently?

Unread postby KrisCross » 9th September, 2016, 4:05 pm

freakism wrote:I can remember things that give me emotions, but "picturing" or "imagining" emotions/smells/sounds as it were I can't do. (I was about to add "and I'm not sure if being to is normal" but then I assumed it was normal to think in only words for almost 19 years)


So it's not just visual, but anything that isn't just text? I kind of want to know what constitutes as 'normal' when it comes to what senses people can imagine now.
User avatar
KrisCross
Senior Moderator
 
Posts: 6749
Likes received: 243
Joined: 15th February, 2011, 6:04 pm
Country: Belgium (be)

Re: What made you sad recently?

Unread postby Jacketh » 9th September, 2016, 4:09 pm

My issue with this I think is how I'm presuming to describe something if you need to have a picture of it in your brain :runaway: I can't fathom it.
Image
User avatar
Jacketh
Admin
 
First name: Jack
Posts: 10091
Likes received: 598
Joined: 12th June, 2012, 7:00 pm
Location: London
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What made you sad recently?

Unread postby freakism » 9th September, 2016, 4:18 pm

KrisCross wrote:So it's not just visual, but anything that isn't just text? I kind of want to know what constitutes as 'normal' when it comes to what senses people can imagine now.

It's more speech/dialogue than text. I have a lot of made-up conversations with people, which - on reflection - does sound a little odd

Jacketh wrote:My issue with this I think is how I'm presuming to describe something if you need to have a picture of it in your brain :runaway: I can't fathom it.

Oh, when people describe things or give me directions I just sort of sit there and go "oh yes, hmm yes" and then go off and have no idea what they've just tried to show me. I can (usually) remember a list of the description and use it to identify something, but I imagine it's a lot easier if you can picture what something looks like.

I'm pretty good at using a map to make up for it though.
Last edited by freakism on 9th September, 2016, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GTF House Cup 2016 - Team Middle Earth
User avatar
freakism
Head tllt boy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
First name: Harry
Posts: 504
Likes received: 132
Joined: 13th June, 2016, 12:44 pm
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Team: The Far East

Re: What made you sad recently?

Unread postby Dessy » 9th September, 2016, 4:23 pm

freakism wrote:
Jacketh wrote:My issue with this I think is how I'm presuming to describe something if you need to have a picture of it in your brain :runaway: I can't fathom it.

Oh, when people describe things or give me directions I just sort of sit there and go "oh yes, hmm yes" and then go off and have no idea what they've just tried to show me.

I'm pretty good at using a map to make up for it though.



Like can I tell you to turn rights in two Stops and then a left after 3 more stops and you'll remember it?
Image
ImageImage
ImageImage


Image
User avatar
Dessy
Moderator Emeriti
 
First name: Des
Posts: 10305
Likes received: 307
Joined: 16th September, 2013, 2:02 am
Country: United States (us)

Re: What made you sad recently?

Unread postby freakism » 9th September, 2016, 4:26 pm

Dessy wrote:
freakism wrote:
Jacketh wrote:My issue with this I think is how I'm presuming to describe something if you need to have a picture of it in your brain :runaway: I can't fathom it.

Oh, when people describe things or give me directions I just sort of sit there and go "oh yes, hmm yes" and then go off and have no idea what they've just tried to show me.

I'm pretty good at using a map to make up for it though.



Like can I tell you to turn rights in two Stops and then a left after 3 more stops and you'll remember it?


Yup, (sorry I edited my above post) I can follow directions, but I guess it sounds a lot easier if you can visualise it.
GTF House Cup 2016 - Team Middle Earth
User avatar
freakism
Head tllt boy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
First name: Harry
Posts: 504
Likes received: 132
Joined: 13th June, 2016, 12:44 pm
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Team: The Far East

Re: What made you sad recently?

Unread postby rxxli » 9th September, 2016, 4:30 pm

freakism wrote:I don't have face blindness, I know what people look like and recognise them when I see them- it's just that my "mind's eye" is in effect blind so I can't imagine them and picture them in my head. It's been called "aphantasia".

This is a good article about what it's like, although I did read it and for the most part go "oh, I'm like that" there are a few times where I differ from him slightly.

I can remember things that give me emotions, but "picturing" or "imagining" emotions/smells/sounds as it were I can't do. (I was about to add "and I'm not sure if being to is normal" but then I assumed it was normal to think in only words for almost 19 years)

Yep!
I think this very well applies to me as well.

Though it isn't as "blank" for me. I can imagine things but it isn't as easy as some people are describing. Similarly to the author of that article - when someone says to imagine a beach. I can get the concept of a beach, maybe get a flashback of sorts but I can never really get a complete picture of it.
Last edited by rxxli on 9th September, 2016, 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
rxxli
The Defender of Europe
 
First name: Andrej
Posts: 4336
Likes received: 53
Joined: 26th April, 2012, 3:12 pm
Location: Slovenia
Country: Slovenia (si)

Re: What made you sad recently?

Unread postby Dessy » 9th September, 2016, 4:31 pm

freakism wrote:
Dessy wrote:
freakism wrote:
Jacketh wrote:My issue with this I think is how I'm presuming to describe something if you need to have a picture of it in your brain :runaway: I can't fathom it.

Oh, when people describe things or give me directions I just sort of sit there and go "oh yes, hmm yes" and then go off and have no idea what they've just tried to show me.

I'm pretty good at using a map to make up for it though.



Like can I tell you to turn rights in two Stops and then a left after 3 more stops and you'll remember it?


Yup, (sorry I edited my above post) I can follow directions, but I guess it sounds a lot easier if you can visualise it.


Oh. Not for me even though I'm a more visual person.
Image
ImageImage
ImageImage


Image
User avatar
Dessy
Moderator Emeriti
 
First name: Des
Posts: 10305
Likes received: 307
Joined: 16th September, 2013, 2:02 am
Country: United States (us)

Re: What made you sad recently?

Unread postby Jacketh » 9th September, 2016, 4:33 pm

I remind my history teacher tested us on that actually! He asked a few random people (including me) to describe to him how we'd get to the car park to the class we were in. Virtually everyone who is visualing it will use hand movements to explain what they're going and what they're doing.
Image
User avatar
Jacketh
Admin
 
First name: Jack
Posts: 10091
Likes received: 598
Joined: 12th June, 2012, 7:00 pm
Location: London
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What made you sad recently?

Unread postby Dessy » 9th September, 2016, 4:41 pm

I had a similar discussion/activity with my career teacher a few year back. Basically there were three groups:
1) People who described landmarks, building, surroundings. (I was in this group)
2.) People who were more specific in regard to the road - left/right, turn on x street.
3.) People who said they would just take you there themselves because they can't really point it out. :rip:
Image
ImageImage
ImageImage


Image
User avatar
Dessy
Moderator Emeriti
 
First name: Des
Posts: 10305
Likes received: 307
Joined: 16th September, 2013, 2:02 am
Country: United States (us)

Re: What made you sad recently?

Unread postby Vortex » 9th September, 2016, 6:35 pm

I put down on my i9 form at my new job that I have a disability.

That was hard on my pride.
ImageImageImage

Ebsy wrote:Leave it to losers on Twitter to complain about being pandered to. You're supposed to complain when someone panders to others, not to you.
[4:46 AM] Saint Drogo: Also, you've got a strangely appealing asshole. I'll give you that much.
[6:03 AM] Pity: Omg... stop making me sound like a racist idiot
[4:51 AM] Scherzy: jerk off to clinton in the safety of your own bedroom luv
[2:56 PM] Saint Drogo: Literally let me use my cock as a paintbrush and my unborn children as paint.
User avatar
Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.
 
First name: Da'Neil Boxley
Posts: 9011
Likes received: 268
Joined: 28th August, 2008, 2:43 pm
Location: Kentucky
Country: United States (us)

Team: The Wild West

Re: What made you sad recently?

Unread postby freakism » 10th September, 2016, 10:10 am

Sat in the car listening to my mum telling my sister (who has just started secondary school) to work hard and "don't be like Harry" (: (: (:
GTF House Cup 2016 - Team Middle Earth
User avatar
freakism
Head tllt boy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
First name: Harry
Posts: 504
Likes received: 132
Joined: 13th June, 2016, 12:44 pm
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Team: The Far East

Re: What made you sad recently?

Unread postby Volvic » 10th September, 2016, 4:57 pm

freakism wrote:Sat in the car listening to my mum telling my sister (who has just started secondary school) to work hard and "don't be like Harry" (: (: (:

Maybe she meant work hard and don't be gay :dunno:
Image
User avatar
Volvic
Twmffat Whore Cailleach Scumbag
 
Posts: 626
Joined: 24th January, 2016, 5:21 pm
Country: United Kingdom (gb)

Re: What made you sad recently?

Unread postby Hohenidoom » 10th September, 2016, 6:53 pm

freakism wrote:Sat in the car listening to my mum telling my sister (who has just started secondary school) to work hard and "don't be like Harry" (: (: (:


Does she mean don't have a fantastic, handsome, witty and deffo not grumpy boyfriend and go to uni in a really lovely city ?

(plus your sister smells and can't leave cutlery correctly so she has no hope)
Fear God and Dread nought
User avatar
Hohenidoom
dodgy 90s dance guy
 
Posts: 2008
Likes received: 49
Joined: 10th May, 2015, 6:34 am

PreviousNext

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: Jacketh, Wayde, Woollyhoolly and 20 guests