What made you sad recently?

Feeling happy, sad or excited about something? Seen a great movie? Write about your day in these long-running threads.

Re: What made you sad recently?

Unread postby muddylegs » 9th September, 2016, 12:42 pm

Face blindness is a lot more common than people think it is.

You can still instantly recognise someone, cause you'll think "x has dark hair, green eyes and is very attractive", but your mind won't actually be able to make an image of their face.

There's nothing unusual or bad about it, don't let it get you down!
[6:50 PM] Flaggermus: muddy you cant just lynch people
[11:09 AM] TheWoahAlex: you can't lynch everyone!
[9:14 PM] Mestaris: MUDDY YOU CANT LYNCH PEOPLE. LYNCHING PEOPLE IS NOT A SOLUTION
[2:32 PM] Zefare: Muddy, you can't just lynch people!
[2:23 PM] bettasnail: you have a thing for lynching ppl don't you
[7:59 PM] AwesomeCDog: muddyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy not everyone is ready and willing to hurt others
[9:42 PM] matiboi96: Lol rob you can't just order someone to amputate themselves!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

[5:32 PM] Tyler: Fuck me sideways and call me grandma

[7:38 PM] Mestaris: your fetishes are worse than mine

Scherzy wrote:wonderfully creative, awesomely cute, horribly funny, uncomfortably morbid, relatively fucked-up, and outright twisted
muddylegs
Coca-Cola Poster BOY

Likes received: 140

Unread postby Hohenidoom » 9th September, 2016, 1:07 pm

muddylegs wrote:Face blindness is a lot more common than people think it is.

You can still instantly recognise someone, cause you'll think "x has dark hair, green eyes and is very attractive", but your mind won't actually be able to make an image of their face.

you nearly got it right, apart from the fact I have light brown eys
Fear God and Dread nought
Hohenidoom
dodgy 90s dance guy

Likes received: 49

Unread postby rxxli » 9th September, 2016, 1:08 pm

Finch wrote:
rxxli wrote:I can't visualize and remember people either. I pretty much can't even remember someones hair color let alone their face. That's why I can't describe how someone looks even if I've known them for years.

I can visualize other things though. But it's pretty hard to do straight from memory.

Wait so you're telling me that you can't see people's faces in your mind's eye on command?

Nope.
rxxli
The Defender of Europe

First name: Andrej
Likes received: 53

Unread postby Jacketh » 9th September, 2016, 1:27 pm

I think Josh has the same thing. It's interesting to try and think about, as I really couldn't imagine not being able to picture things.

What is it like reading literature, then? A big part of that to me is the imagery and building up a picture in my head of what its like. Do you just "describe" what its like in your head without seeing it?

It is quite a head fuck :runaway:
Jacketh
Admin

First name: Jack
Likes received: 598

Unread postby KrisCross » 9th September, 2016, 2:20 pm

But is it just for faces or for every kind of visual thinking? And what about feelings, smells, taste etc.? Can you imagine those?

I have lots of questions.
KrisCross
Senior Moderator

Likes received: 243

Unread postby rxxli » 9th September, 2016, 2:35 pm

I don't think that this necessarily means face blindness. I just can't imagine someones face and picture it in my head. I don't have that much trouble recognizing people for the most part - though seeing someone on the street and figuring out if it is someone that I know or not can sometimes be difficult.

The Cambridge face memory test gives me 88% which is considered quite normal:
http://www.bbk.ac.uk/psychology/psychol ... tartup.php
rxxli
The Defender of Europe

Unread postby freakism » 9th September, 2016, 2:36 pm

I don't have face blindness, I know what people look like and recognise them when I see them- it's just that my "mind's eye" is in effect blind so I can't imagine them and picture them in my head. It's been called "aphantasia".

This is a good article about what it's like, although I did read it and for the most part go "oh, I'm like that" there are a few times where I differ from him slightly.

I can remember things that give me emotions, but "picturing" or "imagining" emotions/smells/sounds as it were I can't do. (I was about to add "and I'm not sure if being to is normal" but then I assumed it was normal to think in only words for almost 19 years)
GTF House Cup 2016 - Team Middle Earth
freakism
Head tllt boy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

First name: Harry
Likes received: 132

Team: The Far East

Unread postby KrisCross » 9th September, 2016, 4:05 pm

freakism wrote:I can remember things that give me emotions, but "picturing" or "imagining" emotions/smells/sounds as it were I can't do. (I was about to add "and I'm not sure if being to is normal" but then I assumed it was normal to think in only words for almost 19 years)

So it's not just visual, but anything that isn't just text? I kind of want to know what constitutes as 'normal' when it comes to what senses people can imagine now.
KrisCross
Senior Moderator

Likes received: 243

Unread postby Jacketh » 9th September, 2016, 4:09 pm

My issue with this I think is how I'm presuming to describe something if you need to have a picture of it in your brain :runaway: I can't fathom it.
Jacketh
Admin

Unread postby freakism » 9th September, 2016, 4:18 pm

KrisCross wrote:So it's not just visual, but anything that isn't just text? I kind of want to know what constitutes as 'normal' when it comes to what senses people can imagine now.

It's more speech/dialogue than text. I have a lot of made-up conversations with people, which - on reflection - does sound a little odd

Jacketh wrote:My issue with this I think is how I'm presuming to describe something if you need to have a picture of it in your brain :runaway: I can't fathom it.

Oh, when people describe things or give me directions I just sort of sit there and go "oh yes, hmm yes" and then go off and have no idea what they've just tried to show me. I can (usually) remember a list of the description and use it to identify something, but I imagine it's a lot easier if you can picture what something looks like.

I'm pretty good at using a map to make up for it though.
Last edited by freakism on 9th September, 2016, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freakism
Head tllt boy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Unread postby Dessy » 9th September, 2016, 4:23 pm

freakism wrote:
Jacketh wrote:My issue with this I think is how I'm presuming to describe something if you need to have a picture of it in your brain :runaway: I can't fathom it.

Oh, when people describe things or give me directions I just sort of sit there and go "oh yes, hmm yes" and then go off and have no idea what they've just tried to show me.

Like can I tell you to turn rights in two Stops and then a left after 3 more stops and you'll remember it?
ImageImage
ImageImage

Dessy
Moderator Emeriti

First name: Des
Likes received: 307

Unread postby freakism » 9th September, 2016, 4:26 pm

Dessy wrote:
freakism wrote:

Oh, when people describe things or give me directions I just sort of sit there and go "oh yes, hmm yes" and then go off and have no idea what they've just tried to show me.

Like can I tell you to turn rights in two Stops and then a left after 3 more stops and you'll remember it?

Yup, (sorry I edited my above post) I can follow directions, but I guess it sounds a lot easier if you can visualise it.
freakism
Head tllt boy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Unread postby rxxli » 9th September, 2016, 4:30 pm

freakism wrote:I don't have face blindness, I know what people look like and recognise them when I see them- it's just that my "mind's eye" is in effect blind so I can't imagine them and picture them in my head. It's been called "aphantasia".

This is a good article about what it's like, although I did read it and for the most part go "oh, I'm like that" there are a few times where I differ from him slightly.

I can remember things that give me emotions, but "picturing" or "imagining" emotions/smells/sounds as it were I can't do. (I was about to add "and I'm not sure if being to is normal" but then I assumed it was normal to think in only words for almost 19 years)

Yep!
I think this very well applies to me as well.

Though it isn't as "blank" for me. I can imagine things but it isn't as easy as some people are describing. Similarly to the author of that article - when someone says to imagine a beach. I can get the concept of a beach, maybe get a flashback of sorts but I can never really get a complete picture of it.
Last edited by rxxli on 9th September, 2016, 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rxxli
The Defender of Europe

Unread postby Dessy » 9th September, 2016, 4:31 pm

freakism wrote:
Dessy wrote:
freakism wrote:

Yup, (sorry I edited my above post) I can follow directions, but I guess it sounds a lot easier if you can visualise it.

Oh. Not for me even though I'm a more visual person.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Dessy
Moderator Emeriti

Unread postby Jacketh » 9th September, 2016, 4:33 pm

I remind my history teacher tested us on that actually! He asked a few random people (including me) to describe to him how we'd get to the car park to the class we were in. Virtually everyone who is visualing it will use hand movements to explain what they're going and what they're doing.
Jacketh
Admin

Unread postby Dessy » 9th September, 2016, 4:41 pm

I had a similar discussion/activity with my career teacher a few year back. Basically there were three groups:
1) People who described landmarks, building, surroundings. (I was in this group)
2.) People who were more specific in regard to the road - left/right, turn on x street.
3.) People who said they would just take you there themselves because they can't really point it out. :rip:
ImageImage
ImageImage

Dessy
Moderator Emeriti

Unread postby Vortex » 9th September, 2016, 6:35 pm

I put down on my i9 form at my new job that I have a disability.

That was hard on my pride.
ImageImageImage

Ebsy wrote:Leave it to losers on Twitter to complain about being pandered to. You're supposed to complain when someone panders to others, not to you.
[4:46 AM] Saint Drogo: Also, you've got a strangely appealing asshole. I'll give you that much.
[6:03 AM] Pity: Omg... stop making me sound like a racist idiot
[4:51 AM] Scherzy: jerk off to clinton in the safety of your own bedroom luv
[2:56 PM] Saint Drogo: Literally let me use my cock as a paintbrush and my unborn children as paint.
Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

First name: Da'Neil Boxley
Likes received: 268

Team: The Wild West

Unread postby freakism » 10th September, 2016, 10:10 am

Sat in the car listening to my mum telling my sister (who has just started secondary school) to work hard and "don't be like Harry" (: (: (:
freakism
Head tllt boy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Unread postby Volvic » 10th September, 2016, 4:57 pm

freakism wrote:Sat in the car listening to my mum telling my sister (who has just started secondary school) to work hard and "don't be like Harry" (: (: (:

Maybe she meant work hard and don't be gay :dunno:
Volvic
Twmffat Whore Cailleach Scumbag

Unread postby Hohenidoom » 10th September, 2016, 6:53 pm

freakism wrote:Sat in the car listening to my mum telling my sister (who has just started secondary school) to work hard and "don't be like Harry" (: (: (:

Does she mean don't have a fantastic, handsome, witty and deffo not grumpy boyfriend and go to uni in a really lovely city ?

(plus your sister smells and can't leave cutlery correctly so she has no hope)
Fear God and Dread nought
Hohenidoom
dodgy 90s dance guy

Likes received: 49

PreviousNext

Recently active