Your bookmarks
Your friends' posts
Your posts | Quotes
Welcome, CommonCrawl [Bot]!

It is currently 28th July, 2014, 7:26 pm

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Unread postPosted: 13th February, 2012, 2:33 pm 
The Baconator
For 68, damn that man is ageing gracefully! I think he looks better now than he did 30 years ago :P

But anyway, I haven't made a new thread in a long while, so it is time for a Pink Floyd Appreciation thread in light of me seeing Roger Waters perform The Wall concert just last week Wednesday (the 8th Feb).

I'll post a few pics in time, but all I can say is WOW, my mind was constantly blown throughout the performance! He can still belt out a note! The stage setup was fantastic with epic projected videos on the wall that got built throughout the concert, gigantic puppets, fireworks, an aeroplane, a pig blimp that flew over the audience, a second stage that came from under the ground infront of the wall, and to top it off, the wall of course was torn down near the end.

It was the closest thing to Pink Floyd I will ever get to see, and it was AMAZING, a theatrical masterpiece!

This may not have any relevance to most people on here, but for those who understand Pink Floyd, let's spread the appreciation dammit! And complain about not even being born when our favourite concerts were performed :hitler: :wtc:

Unread postPosted: 13th February, 2012, 2:57 pm 
Glass
The Wall is stupendously boring, in my opinion. It has a couple moments that take your breath away (Comfortably Numb, Run Like Hell, Brick in The Wall II) but when listened to as a whole, I find it hard to stomach. It's bombastic and theatrical but not engaging.

If you wanted to talk about Wish You Were Here, Meddle, Animals, or Dark Side of the Moon however... some of the best things ever put to vinyl for sure

Unread postPosted: 13th February, 2012, 3:29 pm 
The Baconator
And I agree with you, or would've before I saw the whole event. It's not my favourite album, Meddle is, but it was great seeing it in theatrical form with all the bells and whistles :)

That and I will still be forever depressed that I couldn't see the PULSE tour due to only being 3 years old at the time :'(

Unread postPosted: 13th February, 2012, 4:31 pm 
saw the concert last May and it was an awesome show yeah

the moment when gilmour's second solo in Comfortably Numb reaches its peak and the projections on the wall explode in a blaze of psychedelic colours nearly gave me a stroke

i'm still recovering

Unread postPosted: 13th February, 2012, 4:31 pm 
Maxwell That Ends Well
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. *gasps* *pant* *pant* AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHic.

*rasps* I think I killed my throat.

Unread postPosted: 13th February, 2012, 4:41 pm 
Older with Meth
I've always wanted to see Roger Waters in concert... He was playing in Tampa last year, but I was out of town at the time :( While it definitely isn't my favourite Pink Floyd album, the Wall is still a classic "epic" composition that I'd love to see in concert sometime. I'd prefer Pulse (or something else), but given the chance, I'd go no matter what album they'd be playing.

Similarly, I believe Ian Anderson is touring the complete Thick as a Brick this year, and I'd love to go to at least one of those performances... Not so much because it's my favourite album as much as it'd just be really cool to have seen it performed live.

I definitely wish I could have been at many of the Pink Floyd, Yes, Moody Blues, and Led Zeppelin concerts... It's still great to see them play after all this time, but being there during their peak would have been amazing.

I'm glad to know Pink Floyd appreciation is still alive and well! :monocle:

Unread postPosted: 13th February, 2012, 5:09 pm 
Maxwell That Ends Well
Stormwatcher wrote:
I definitely wish I could have been at many of the Pink Floyd, Yes, Moody Blues, and Led Zeppelin concerts... It's still great to see them play after all this time, but being there during their peak would have been amazing.

FUCK THE PEAK, JUST GIVE ME PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN

Unread postPosted: 13th February, 2012, 5:24 pm 
Older with Meth
Mr.Monkey wrote:
Stormwatcher wrote:

FUCK THE PEAK, JUST GIVE ME PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN

Heh, I like a lot of the Piper at Gates of Dawn stuff, but Meddle is probably my favourite... I know you will probably hate me for this, but I really like the songs from Momentary Lapse of Reason also.

Unread postPosted: 13th February, 2012, 5:30 pm 
Maxwell That Ends Well
Stormwatcher wrote:
Heh, I like a lot of the Piper at Gates of Dawn stuff, but Meddle is probably my favourite... I know you will probably hate me for this, but I really like the songs from Momentary Lapse of Reason also.

Actually, I've never heard that album -except learning to fly. Truth is I don't like listening to just pieces of PF albums unless I really enjoy the song (interstellar overdrive, Bike, astronomy Domine, welcome to the machine and others) so I've kinda just refused to listen to it.

Albums I have are Animals, Dark Side, Piper, Meddle, The Wall and WYWH.
I haven't always listened to them but I kinda went mental for them since last year and never stopped.

Unread postPosted: 13th February, 2012, 5:42 pm 
Older with Meth
Mr.Monkey wrote:
Stormwatcher wrote:

Actually, I've never heard that album -except learning to fly. Truth is I don't like listening to just pieces of PF albums unless I really enjoy the song (interstellar overdrive, Bike, astronomy Domine, welcome to the machine and others) so I've kinda just refused to listen to it.

Albums I have are Animals, Dark Side, Piper, Meddle, The Wall and WYWH.
I haven't always listened to them but I kinda went mental for them since last year and never stopped.

I found myself listening to entire albums, then breaking them up into various playlists... If you want Momentary Lapse of Reason, Ummagumma, Final Cut, Atom Heart Mother, Division Bell (Also at the top of my list), or Delicate Sound of Thunder I can upload them and share them with you if you'd like :nod: :awesome:

Unread postPosted: 13th February, 2012, 11:26 pm 
Glass
I don't understand Piper. To me, it's childish and obnoxious more than anything-- a novelty. Some of it is interesting psychedelia, but most of it is dull and unintelligible half-thoughts.

Unread postPosted: 13th February, 2012, 11:32 pm 
Thalido's Fanboy
IMO, A Saucerful of Secrets is horribly underrated. A lot of so-called Floyd fans probably haven't even listened to any of it.

Their earlier stuff is better. Piper was kinda an introduction to their style, SoS was top notch psychedelia, and then of course there's Meddle, Dark Side, Animals, and Wish You Were Here.

Unread postPosted: 13th February, 2012, 11:34 pm 
Older with Meth
:heart: Let There Be More Light

Unread postPosted: 14th February, 2012, 1:18 am 
Maxwell That Ends Well
Loop wrote:
I don't understand Piper. To me, it's childish and obnoxious more than anything-- a novelty. Some of it is interesting psychedelia, but most of it is dull and unintelligible half-thoughts.

I think that describes why I like it nicely :P (apart from dull :pfft: )

Oh and Stormwatcher, thanks but no thanks. I do like to 'share' things but the albums are only $12-15 -which won't be so bad once the student loan kicks in. (I'm trying to buy the albums I know I'll bona fide like)

Unread postPosted: 14th February, 2012, 1:40 am 
stay weird
I am going to this concert in May! It is going to be fucking amazing.

Unread postPosted: 14th February, 2012, 1:46 am 
Loop wrote:
Wish You Were Here

best song

Unread postPosted: 14th February, 2012, 1:48 am 
Older with Meth
Cupid Stunt wrote:
Loop wrote:
Wish You Were Here

best song

:facepalm2:

Unread postPosted: 14th February, 2012, 11:36 am 
The Baconator
Cupid Stunt is allowed to just like the song! :hitler:

But yays :D :D :D I am glad there are considerably many others as passionate as I am towards a rather epic band :3

I love all of their albums for what they are, except for The Final Cut because I've only listened to it once >.< but I know it's still decent and bought a copy on CD anyway just to complete my collection :awesome:

I don't want to brag but... I must say I am certainly proud of myself having found original copies of most of their 70s albums. Come to think of it... apart from The Division Bell, I now own all of their albums on vinyl except for Songs From The Film More, which doesn't really count anyway :P

I shall post pictures of the concert in due time :)

Now I must ask all of you for your favourite Floyd album and how you discovered them.

My story goes: back in 2007 a newly formed friend recommended I give them a listen, so he leant me DSOTM, I listened and thoroughly enjoyed it, then I bought their Echoes best of and fell in love :keke:
Echoes the song was my favourite on the best of, so consequentially when I bought Meddle (Pink Floyd is the only band whos music I never downloaded from the internet, I waited till I bought each CD to listen to their material because I knew it would be worth it) that became my favourite album for its 24 minute masterpiece, I found the guitar sounds quite amazing and really ahead of it's time (30 years or so) - at least for a small snippet of it.
The rest of the songs on the album are all pretty epic, One Of These Days' epic bass and San Tropez's epic whimsicalness :P

Unread postPosted: 14th February, 2012, 4:56 pm 
i found a video on youtube of a simulation of the effects of an asteroid collision with Earth that had Great Gig in the Sky as the backing track. Weird how I discovered them through that since it's hardly the most Floydish song but I decided to investigate them some more and actually expand my music taste a little

Unread postPosted: 14th February, 2012, 6:28 pm 
Older with Meth
The Lounge Fly wrote:
Cupid Stunt is allowed to just like the song! :hitler:

But yays :D :D :D I am glad there are considerably many others as passionate as I am towards a rather epic band :3

I love all of their albums for what they are, except for The Final Cut because I've only listened to it once >.< but I know it's still decent and bought a copy on CD anyway just to complete my collection :awesome:

I don't want to brag but... I must say I am certainly proud of myself having found original copies of most of their 70s albums. Come to think of it... apart from The Division Bell, I now own all of their albums on vinyl except for Songs From The Film More, which doesn't really count anyway :P

I shall post pictures of the concert in due time :)

Now I must ask all of you for your favourite Floyd album and how you discovered them.

My story goes: back in 2007 a newly formed friend recommended I give them a listen, so he leant me DSOTM, I listened and thoroughly enjoyed it, then I bought their Echoes best of and fell in love :keke:
Echoes the song was my favourite on the best of, so consequentially when I bought Meddle (Pink Floyd is the only band whos music I never downloaded from the internet, I waited till I bought each CD to listen to their material because I knew it would be worth it) that became my favourite album for its 24 minute masterpiece, I found the guitar sounds quite amazing and really ahead of it's time (30 years or so) - at least for a small snippet of it.
The rest of the songs on the album are all pretty epic, One Of These Days' epic bass and San Tropez's epic whimsicalness :P

The first Pink Floyd album I ever listened to was DSOTM... I was 4 or 5 and my dad was listing to it while we were driving somewhere. From there, I bought Animals when I was 8 or 9 and since then I've rounded out my collection with the rest of their albums. I haven't ever collected the vinyls though... I guess I'm a bad fan :(

I love almost all of the songs from Division Bell, and after listening to them again yesterday I think that might be at the top of my favourites list now... Meddle being a close second of course.

Listening to "Not Now John" was the first time I'd ever heard someone say fuck :lol:

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]