Forum features and improvements discussion

Off-topic posts go in here; this forum is only loosely moderated.

Re: Forum features and improvements discussion

Unread postby Nephertum » 5th September, 2017, 4:03 pm

snap maps is alr bad enough
Nephertum

First name: Jimmy
Likes received: 2

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby joshe » 5th September, 2017, 5:59 pm

Pity wrote:I dislike this idea. This gives too much power to potential stalkers. If you want to meet up with someone, you can already arrange one and discuss your locations via PM.

I don't see it as a problem, it's only showing what is already on people's accounts just on a map
joshe
GTF's Gayby

First name: JOSHUA
Likes received: 46

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Team: Odd Squad

Unread postby Calcifer » 20th November, 2017, 5:53 pm

joshe wrote:As discussed in the chat, a GTF Map.

So like a map where you can optionally add yourself to be able to find other GTF'ers near you
[17:22]joshe: GTF map, so like you can put yourself on it optionally and it gives like a pinpoint of where you live but not exactly (obviously) so you can see if there are other gtf'ers near you, here is the chat transcript so you can get a better idea of what I mean

-snipped the convo-

Yeah, it's doable. Although if you just want people to see where you are, add each other on Snapchat and use that location feature. Having it as a feature on GTF seems kinda abusable.
ImageImageImage
Calcifer
Some Hypersexual Puppy Cat Thing

First name: Calum
Likes received: 126

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Example » 21st November, 2017, 6:18 am

Calcifer wrote:

So like a map where you can optionally add yourself to be able to find other GTF'ers near you
[17:22]joshe: GTF map, so like you can put yourself on it optionally and it gives like a pinpoint of where you live but not exactly (obviously) so you can see if there are other gtf'ers near you, here is the chat transcript so you can get a better idea of what I mean

-snipped the convo-

Yeah, it's doable. Although if you just want people to see where you are, add each other on Snapchat and use that location feature. Having it as a feature on GTF seems kinda abusable.

yea i found a good map site for it with a password but i feel like kids mapping the location of their house is just begging for disaster
ImageImage
Example

First name: Kyler
Likes received: 663

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Team: Cheer Team

Unread postby Hierax » 21st November, 2017, 11:03 am

Calcifer wrote:

-snipped the convo-

Yeah I don't think it would be a great addition either, snapmap is good enough I think.
ImageImage
Hierax
Flazéda

Likes received: 378

:
Tier II
Progress to next tier:
4 / 7

Unread postby Dolly » 28th November, 2017, 11:42 am

Please add a feature where I can block Kaspar.
Dolly
hotty & country singer

Likes received: 851

:
Tier II
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby Anonymous Boy » 28th November, 2017, 11:55 am

Pity wrote:Please add a feature where I can block Kaspar.

There is a feature for blocking people (you mark them as your foes), but not to block moderators. They are considered too respected and established to be blocked.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Currently moving house, so please expect a delay if you message me.
If you need urgent help with something, I recommend getting in touch with a moderator.
Anonymous Boy
Owner/Administrator

First name: René
Likes received: 314

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Woollyhoolly » 28th November, 2017, 12:34 pm

Pity whats up with ur raging boner for kacp today? It’s typing soo many messages :err:
Made you look

Trudeau's my daddy
Woollyhoolly
Classy

First name: Tim
Likes received: 156

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
2 / 7

Unread postby Cobalt » 28th November, 2017, 1:46 pm

Anonymous Boy wrote:

There is a feature for blocking people (you mark them as your foes), but not to block moderators. They are considered too respected and established to be blocked.

JSAKDFHGJDLSGFNGWF :weep: :weep: :weep:
Cobalt
Momderator

Likes received: 299

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby CRUSTY SEA MILF » 3rd January, 2018, 8:59 pm

I know it's been already said and that the staff have work they already are doing, but maybe instead of a large YC event like the writing challenge, smaller contests that are worth less points but are more frequent and engaging so people stay involved and team leaders and members don't have to push and remind for more participation within their group
ImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
CRUSTY SEA MILF wrote:You the right boob to my left, the peanut butter to my jelly, the Donald to my Melania, the Trisha Paytas to my 5 pounds of salami
CRUSTY SEA MILF
Egregious Infundibular

First name: Brennan/wolbre4
Likes received: 422

:
Tier IV
Progress to next tier:
1 / 28

Unread postby Dolly » 17th January, 2018, 1:23 pm

Please make a separate, non-English speaking channel on the Discord. It is frustrating to see people typing another language, essentially isolated the majority of the forum who are not bilingual.
Dolly
hotty & country singer

:
Tier II
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby Cobalt » 17th January, 2018, 6:23 pm

Dolly wrote:Please make a separate, non-English speaking channel on the Discord. It is frustrating to see people typing another language, essentially isolated the majority of the forum who are not bilingual.

I'm sorry you're a xenophobe but no. :tea:
Cobalt
Momderator

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby JonathanT88 » 17th January, 2018, 7:24 pm

Dolly wrote:Please make a separate, non-English speaking channel on the Discord. It is frustrating to see people typing another language, essentially isolated the majority of the forum who are not bilingual.

I think an a new channel specifically for this is going to end up being inactive and disrupt the flow of conversation, so the best thing to do is for mods to encourage people to speak in English so as to be understood by all, to take the conversation to PMs or for members of the community to express annoyance/talk over them till it goes away. In my own experience, this has never been a problem which can't be fixed on the spot, by who ever happens to be about.
Gudrun wrote:

"How many times have I told you? Homosexuality is only to be used for revolutionary purposes!"

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImage
JonathanT88
Horny Jonathan of the Homosexual Intifada

First name: Jonathan (duh.)
Likes received: 785

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby Cobalt » 17th January, 2018, 8:00 pm

I mean, if you really want to know what’s being said that badly, use google translate.
Cobalt
Momderator

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby JonathanT88 » 18th January, 2018, 11:48 am

Cobalt wrote:I mean, if you really want to know what’s being said that badly, use google translate.

Hmm, not really practical given the speed conversations happen in Discord, especially when users are speaking a language which doesn't easily translate well (Polish, Swedish?). I think this is especially problematic when it's maybe only two users in chat talking a pretty niche language (as happens often) because it blocks out the potential for anyone else to join in and effectively kills chat; not great if we're looking to increase activity. Honestly though, I don't think it's really a problem nor do I think we need MORE channels (we have so many) to fix it. If someone wants to speak another language, I have no issue if they use video/voice chat or gaming (when they're not in use) to do so. Perhaps a compromise would be to agree these channels can have multiple purposes.

I'll post a confession I just received here because it related directly to this conversation:

Suggestion #1 wrote:As someone who is bilingual (working on a third language!) I completely support Pity/Dolly's idea! I think it's marvelous! I also think Cobalt was WAY out of line (though, tbh, they've always been a rude asshole to everyone--especially Pity/Dolly). I get Jon's point about just encouraging people to speak English, but I think it would be a great idea, IN ADDITION to encouraging English on the main channel, to have a section for people who either don't speak English at all (some will use solely google translate to get by, and that program is notorious for being inaccurate), or who struggle to get by with English. Even if it is very inactive, I think it would be nice to at least have it as an option.
Gudrun wrote:

"How many times have I told you? Homosexuality is only to be used for revolutionary purposes!"

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImage
JonathanT88
Horny Jonathan of the Homosexual Intifada

First name: Jonathan (duh.)
Likes received: 785

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby Cobalt » 18th January, 2018, 8:32 pm

I don't see anything wrong with people speaking another language. I don't think it needs to be discouraged and I don't think suggesting that such users be SEGREGATED is a decent idea.

Discord is busy enough that multiple conversations happen at one time and I've seen people conversing in another language and people just talk around it. It's really just not that much of an issue imo.

I stand by what I said.
Cobalt
Momderator

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Unread postby Hierax » 21st January, 2018, 3:36 pm

We've actually taken this into consideration and created the "overflow_channel"-channel on Discord. You can move to this channel when something/someone annoys you in main_chat, this can be during argument or when someone's talking another language, bilingual people can also immediately move to this chat to prevent people from getting annoyed. :keke:
ImageImage
Hierax
Flazéda

Likes received: 378

:
Tier II
Progress to next tier:
4 / 7

Unread postby Calcifer » 20th February, 2018, 10:19 pm

Approval mode threads

So, what with an upcoming Mafia game, I was thinking about threads. This may have been suggested before, but I didn't feel like searching through 200 odd pages to see this.

Basically, upon thread creation, the OP can flag the entire thread as 'Approval only' which is to say whenever you make a post, it is made in the thread, but it is hidden until the OP views it and approves it to go though. At which point, it will be posted at the time that it was originally made, not at the time it was approved.

In addition, the OP should be able to add other forum users as Co-Approvers, who also have the power to look through and approve posts. This allows people who want to run certain kinds of games (Not entirely sure what would benefit from a strict structure, but hey) to control when posts were made. Mods and admins would obviously always have the power to do this, as is expected.

The reason I think it'd be best to have a flag only on thread creation is it stops any users from retroactively going back and abusing the feature by switching currently active threads into approval-only mode. Secondly, there should be the non-reversible option of switching a thread from approval only into a standard thread - For example, if a game ended to allow discussion.
ImageImageImage
Calcifer
Some Hypersexual Puppy Cat Thing

First name: Calum
Likes received: 126

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Jacketh » 24th February, 2018, 1:25 pm

It's possible I'm going crazy but I swear certain posts have a larger (and somewhat annoying) gap in between the first sentence and text they're quoting - and the formatting of the post suggests that the gap shouldn't be that large.

Example:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=75350&p=2515753#p2515753

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=75350&p=2515753#p2515753

How it should look:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=75350&start=1360#p2514549

Maybe I'm getting old and senile. Can anyone else see that?
Jacketh

Likes received: 907

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
2 / 7

Unread postby Dolly » 24th February, 2018, 1:32 pm

it's because there's a space underneath it. use the quote tool to see.
Dolly
hotty & country singer

:
Tier II
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

PreviousNext

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: anhnguyen1200, CommonCrawl [Bot], Corrdorr, DotNetDotCom.org [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Web Preview [Bot], Linkdex [Bot], Mojeek [Bot], Sogou [Spider], Steven.C and 91 guests