Forum features and improvements discussion

Off-topic posts go in here; this forum is only loosely moderated.

Re: Forum features and improvements discussion

Unread postby Canadianborn » 11th August, 2015, 8:45 am

The fifty post limit hasn't been removed. Moderators have the ability to give a early access to new users at their own discretion.
Canadianborn

Unread postby Tim. » 11th August, 2015, 8:49 am

Morgan wrote:The fifty post limit hasn't been removed. Moderators have the ability to give a early access to new users at their own discretion.

Ok that sounds completely reasonable. Thanks Morgan.

Tim.
White Tupac

First name: Tim
Likes received: 52

Unread postby Cobalt » 11th August, 2015, 9:05 am

Tim. wrote:
Cobalt wrote:Alright, folks, it seems as though it's time for me to put this idea out to the public for feedback and discussion.

For awhile now, I've wanted to start some kind of regular creative outlet for the GTF userbase. The House Cup is always a great forum-wide event, because you get to see such talent from people, and it honestly takes me aback at what we have running rampant around here. Challenges in the House Cup and things like that give it focus, and we really get to witness people's creativity and inspirational talents. I think it's a wonderful thing, and I think it's something that should happen year-round.

What I'm proposing is something that I think at this point would be called the GTF Times - a regularly updated newsletter of sorts in which members could write about things they're interested in, submit videos of their talents, send in photography and newsletters, perhaps a funny pop culture column with maybe a PMDT writer to update us on what's going on in the world from a shade point of view, I've thought about running an anonymous or not advice column, etc. Anything Goes hasn't really seen much action lately since the new Community Games and Competitions subforum, so those I spoke to came to the general consensus that each edition could be posted in a separate thread. This would prevent one long, old thread just being updated constantly, and it's been proven that member traffic is higher on newer threads with things such as Face the Chair.

Some things I'm struggling to put together in my head is proper format. Like would each column or story or talent just be separated by spoiler tags? Should we have things made in Word/Excel/Photoshop and customized and then posted? There would need to be a team on that for sure if it were to become a thing, so anyone with experience in those programs would be helpful.

Also, does anyone know what the bbcode in our forum can do? Because I thought about having a friend of mine code an interface for it, but as far as I know the phpBB doesn't really support much. I couldn't even input columns in the ELO thread using [table] tags because the code just doesn't work on here.

Any ideas, feedback and discussion would be much appreciated. This is something that I most definitely would like to see become a thing in the near future and any help and steps in the right direction would be awesome. Thanks so much everyone. :keke:

If you're interested in collaborating with me on this or being a regular team member, also let me know.

I love it JT. This needs to happen. The community spirit here has really developed over the last year and things like this would just strengthen it further. I agree with the idea of separate threads per edition. I also think their should be an index thread (locked) pinned to keep a history of all the editions as they get pushed down further through the pages over time.

I would definitely make an index thread.

Does anyone else have any ideas/feedback/discussion on my idea? I would like to get it started within the next few months.
Cobalt
The Momderator

Likes received: 61

Unread postby Edna the Queen » 16th August, 2015, 2:31 am

Cobalt wrote:
Tim. wrote:
Cobalt wrote:Alright, folks, it seems as though it's time for me to put this idea out to the public for feedback and discussion.

For awhile now, I've wanted to start some kind of regular creative outlet for the GTF userbase. The House Cup is always a great forum-wide event, because you get to see such talent from people, and it honestly takes me aback at what we have running rampant around here. Challenges in the House Cup and things like that give it focus, and we really get to witness people's creativity and inspirational talents. I think it's a wonderful thing, and I think it's something that should happen year-round.

What I'm proposing is something that I think at this point would be called the GTF Times - a regularly updated newsletter of sorts in which members could write about things they're interested in, submit videos of their talents, send in photography and newsletters, perhaps a funny pop culture column with maybe a PMDT writer to update us on what's going on in the world from a shade point of view, I've thought about running an anonymous or not advice column, etc. Anything Goes hasn't really seen much action lately since the new Community Games and Competitions subforum, so those I spoke to came to the general consensus that each edition could be posted in a separate thread. This would prevent one long, old thread just being updated constantly, and it's been proven that member traffic is higher on newer threads with things such as Face the Chair.

Some things I'm struggling to put together in my head is proper format. Like would each column or story or talent just be separated by spoiler tags? Should we have things made in Word/Excel/Photoshop and customized and then posted? There would need to be a team on that for sure if it were to become a thing, so anyone with experience in those programs would be helpful.

Also, does anyone know what the bbcode in our forum can do? Because I thought about having a friend of mine code an interface for it, but as far as I know the phpBB doesn't really support much. I couldn't even input columns in the ELO thread using [table] tags because the code just doesn't work on here.

Any ideas, feedback and discussion would be much appreciated. This is something that I most definitely would like to see become a thing in the near future and any help and steps in the right direction would be awesome. Thanks so much everyone. :keke:

If you're interested in collaborating with me on this or being a regular team member, also let me know.

I love it JT. This needs to happen. The community spirit here has really developed over the last year and things like this would just strengthen it further. I agree with the idea of separate threads per edition. I also think their should be an index thread (locked) pinned to keep a history of all the editions as they get pushed down further through the pages over time.

I would definitely make an index thread.

Does anyone else have any ideas/feedback/discussion on my idea? I would like to get it started within the next few months.

I'd love to be part of this, it sounds fantastic! I think the idea of people being able to submit things like videos, pictures, music they've made, art, or even story's they've written would be fascinating and give GTFers a chance to show their talents. :keke: I also really like the idea of a advice column, I think that could be really interesting and help a lot of people out with their problems.
Also just updating everyone on things going on such as Maifa game sign ups, house cup challenges during house cup season, popularite, GTFA (again during that season) and even upcoming Birthdays ^_^ It wouldn't have to be a big section, but just updating people on those things could be a nice reminder to people of everything going on in the world of GTF :3

It could always be put in category's like this
Example category 1

[Reveal] Spoiler: The information
Stuff

Example category 2

[Reveal] Spoiler: The stuff everyone wants to see
:gaycat:

And so on, but that's just an idea :keke:
Edna the Queen
Formerly 'Keyblade welder'

First name: Ethan
Likes received: 6

PostThis post was deleted by Canadianborn on 17th September, 2015, 3:49 am.
Reason: spam

PostThis post was deleted by Canadianborn on 17th September, 2015, 3:49 am.
Reason: spam

PostThis post was deleted by FirePhantom on 4th January, 2016, 12:27 pm.
Reason: Sneaky edited-in-two-days-later spam.

Unread postby muddylegs » 22nd December, 2015, 4:31 am

poirotkd wrote:Yah this forum is making a dfference. I love it.

That's brilliant to hear! :heart:
muddylegs
Coca-Cola Poster BOY, Community Ambassador

Likes received: 134

Unread postby Russell » 15th May, 2016, 8:07 am

So, this has annoyed me forever, but is there any way to make the uploader for the avatars auto resize to fit the parameters?
I'm not arrogant. I'm just better than you.
--------
Death is lighter than a feather; duty heavier than a mountain.
Russell
Heart of a Chilf, Soul of a Dragon

First name: Spaceman
Likes received: 15

Unread postby noface99 » 22nd May, 2016, 3:59 am

Remove awful members who send threats and abuse like Circles, Calcifer, trxuvaille and Commander.
I'm gone for now.
noface99
Ginger Weirdo

First name: Phil

Unread postby Ω » 22nd May, 2016, 4:04 am

noface99 wrote:Remove awful members who send threats and abuse like Circles, Calcifer, trxuvaille and Commander.

Make it happen mods.
Vice Captain of 2016 House Cup champions Team Middle Earth

Ω
New fone who dis?

First name: Ethan
Likes received: 281

Unread postby Circles » 22nd May, 2016, 4:56 pm

noface99 wrote:Remove awful members who send threats and abuse like Circles, Calcifer, trxuvaille and Commander.

Do tell when I threatened you. I'm curious. That's something I think I'd recall.

Though if we're wanting threatening people gone, you did tell me to get cancer :eli:
ImageImageImageImageoooo
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Circles
Twinkerbell

First name: Marshall
Likes received: 54

Unread postby Hyacinth » 22nd May, 2016, 4:59 pm

Circles wrote:

Do tell when I threatened you. I'm curious. That's something I think I'd recall.

Though if we're wanting threatening people gone, you did tell me to get cancer :eli:

It seems we're in the same club, Marshall. I was told to "drink bleach" :eli:
Hyacinth
Formerly 'Jan'

First name: Jan
Likes received: 11

Unread postby Circles » 22nd May, 2016, 5:01 pm

Jan wrote:
Circles wrote:

Hypocrisy is my favourite flavour. :eli:
I may dislike him, but at least I'm above wishing death on others.
ImageImageImageImageoooo
Circles
Twinkerbell

Unread postby Quinn » 22nd May, 2016, 5:46 pm

What type of cancer did he curse you with, anyway? Pancreatic? Thyroid? Liver?

I mean, the difference is marginal, but now I'm curious.
Quinn

Likes received: 2

Unread postby Dessy » 22nd May, 2016, 5:48 pm

Okay guys let's break it up since this is off-topic anyway.

ImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImageImage
Dessy
The Shady Moderator

First name: Des
Likes received: 221

Unread postby Russell » 22nd May, 2016, 9:15 pm

OMG. We got new emoji's :oface:

When the fuck did this happen. I'm honestly not sure cause I have emojis turned off in my UCP settings, and on the rare occasion I actually use them, I just write it out cause I know all of the shortcut thingys - so legit only just noticed.

Also;
Russell wrote:So, this has annoyed me forever, but is there any way to make the uploader for the avatars auto resize to fit the parameters?
I'm not arrogant. I'm just better than you.
--------
Death is lighter than a feather; duty heavier than a mountain.
Russell
Heart of a Chilf, Soul of a Dragon

First name: Spaceman
Likes received: 15

Unread postby noface99 » 22nd May, 2016, 9:23 pm

Circles wrote:
Jan wrote:
Circles wrote:

Hypocrisy is my favourite flavour. :eli:
I may dislike him, but at least I'm above wishing death on others.

This behaviour is out of line. If you want the forum to carry on fine, then you wouldn't have posted this. You just want to make things worse. Thankfully, I'm not as low as that, and I learn from things. Which is why I didn't continue posting.

Grow up and stop trying to be 'head bitch', both of you. Your avatars say it all. Be a bit more reasonable, please. I only said what I said in retaliation to your insults against me, which I had been ignoring all day until that point.
I'm gone for now.
noface99
Ginger Weirdo

First name: Phil

Unread postby Circles » 22nd May, 2016, 9:31 pm

:lol:
ImageImageImageImageoooo
Circles
Twinkerbell

Unread postby Dessy » 22nd May, 2016, 9:48 pm

Russell wrote:OMG. We got new emoji's :oface:

When the fuck did this happen. I'm honestly not sure cause I have emojis turned off in my UCP settings, and on the rare occasion I actually use them, I just write it out cause I know all of the shortcut thingys - so legit only just noticed.

Also;
Russell wrote:So, this has annoyed me forever, but is there any way to make the uploader for the avatars auto resize to fit the parameters?

We got new smileys like a couple days ago lol :err:

ImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImageImage
Dessy
The Shady Moderator

First name: Des
Likes received: 221

PreviousNext

Recently active