Ever Been Friends With Someone Just Because They Are Gay?

Discuss sexuality, whether your own or someone else's.

Ever Been Friends With Someone Just Because They Are Gay?

Unread postby Wayde » 29th August, 2017, 9:23 pm

I'n not going to lie, throughout Junior and Senior year of high school I was friends with a girl I literally couldn't stand solely because she came out to me as a lesbian. Literally, this girl had(has) the worst personality ever. She's annoying, rude, insensitive, and mean to literally everyone. She also has this tendency to explode in rage and scream at people. Yeah, no one liked her very much. However, because of this (and because no one liked her), she also had few friends at our school. And so, because I was a bit of a loner with only a few good friends, she tried to be friends with me in the summer before June year. Honestly, I tried shrugging her off as much as I could without being too rude (because, well, she was(is) an awful person to be around). But, for whatever reason she thought we were becoming close friends, and so she came out to me. I didn't know any other gay kids at my school (and wasn't out to anyone at school either) so we became fairly good friends, bonding over our gayness. The only problem was that this was literally the only real thing we had in common. So, suffice to say, the friendship didn't last. However, it felt really good to have a friend that got that secret part of me. We even went to Junior Prom together (we jokingly called ourselves a 'technical gay couple' seeing as we went together and were both gay). We might still be friends now, but right after our senior trip this spring she completely stabbed me in the back. I have refused to talk to her since (other than very curt replies when she texts). Looking back I feel kind of silly for trying to be friends with this terrible, awful girl solely because of her sexual orientation. I should have known that friendships are built on much more than that.

Am I the only one who has been friends with someone simply because they were gay? If not, share your story!
Wayde
A Witty User Title™

First name: Wayde
Likes received: 17

Team: The Far East

Re: Ever Been Friends With Someone Just Because They Are Gay?

Unread postby Kaspar » 29th August, 2017, 9:35 pm

Kamiel :eli:

I'm kidding now, if we are talking about in real life friendships, then I don't think so. Every person that is gay or bi that I know, we were friends earlier on.
Proudly, the Captain of team Spirited Away
House Cup 2017

mattyk wrote:You are indeed all-round 100% certified awesome!

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar
The Kind Moderator / Lochlan's cat enthusiast

First name: Kacper
Likes received: 361

Unread postby Pity » 30th August, 2017, 9:45 am

Not personally, no, I but I do understand that can be the last resort of sorts for people to bond over. It is good that you are now cutting her off and severing the friendship because she seems like an unpleasant person to be around.
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

First name: Marcus
Likes received: 489

Team: The Wild West

Unread postby sidneyJ » 30th August, 2017, 9:58 pm

Oh my god yeah I've done this before. It feels so good at the time of coming out to try and talk to people who understand/accept you. I look at my friend group now and the people I talk to and I realize that I have close to nothing in common with all of them. Sometimes I regret it, and wish I had more friends who shared my interests. It's gotten to the point where I don't really know how to talk to them unless we're talking about LGBT+ related topics. Whenever I'm hanging out with them, I sit in the corner and read a book on my phone or just daydream for a majority of the time. Don't get me wrong, I like my friends, but the only reason I talk to them at all is because they don't treat me different because I'm gay, like most of the people at my school.
sidneyJ

Unread postby (un)creative » 31st August, 2017, 4:20 am

Not because the other person was gay (I don't know any gay people but I know of a few) but because of other things, like in middle School I was friends with someone just because we were the main characters in a musical, even though I didn't like him because he was really really annoying. And I'm 100% sure that I'd have been friends with someone just because he's gay. You're not alone
(un)creative

First name: André
Likes received: 17

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot], Bing [Bot], CameronAus, Cobalt, CommonCrawl [Bot], DotNetDotCom.org [Bot], Elapsed Time, Google Search Appliance, jewnaruto, Proximic [Bot], Woollyhoolly and 830 guests