Talking about LGBTQ+ for my English speaking exam!

Discuss sexuality, whether your own or someone else's.

Talking about LGBTQ+ for my English speaking exam!

Unread postby Oxy » 25th August, 2017, 9:27 pm

I have an English speaking exam coming up and I've decided to talk about something that I am passionate about: lGBTQ+ and being the only openly gay guy in my year group (year 11). However I need help on what topics to talk about. Any suggestions are helpful! The speaking needs to be about 5mins. One of the topics I am going to talk about Is my personal experience about being gay and the homophobia I faced in my school.

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by Oxy on 26th August, 2017, 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beyonce sweetie, I am sorry, I am so so sorry that an ugly ass bitch would even say that. Oh my god.
Oxy

First name: Antonio

Re: Talking about LGBTQ+ for my English speaking exam!

Unread postby Pity » 26th August, 2017, 12:12 am

The future of LGBT rights? Analyzing how the climate of the LGBT community has changed since the 1900s?
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

First name: Marcus
Likes received: 491

Team: The Wild West

Unread postby Oxy » 26th August, 2017, 2:29 am

Pity wrote:The future of LGBT rights? Analyzing how the climate of the LGBT community has changed since the 1900s?

That's a great idea! I'll add that to the list
Beyonce sweetie, I am sorry, I am so so sorry that an ugly ass bitch would even say that. Oh my god.
Oxy

Unread postby Kaspar » 26th August, 2017, 5:27 am

You can try to show how the LGBT community really looks like, how diverse it is. Most people just look at pride parades or some extreme examples of the community and get this stereotype that every gay person is like that, and it's not true. Gay people look, behave and live like every other regular person :P However obvious it might seem to us, these stereotypes are very common.
Proudly, the Captain of team Spirited Away
House Cup 2017

mattyk wrote:You are indeed all-round 100% certified awesome!

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar
The Kind Moderator / Lochlan's cat enthusiast

First name: Kacper
Likes received: 366

Team: The Far East

Unread postby Oxy » 28th August, 2017, 12:39 am

Kaspar wrote:You can try to show how the LGBT community really looks like, how diverse it is. Most people just look at pride parades or some extreme examples of the community and get this stereotype that every gay person is like that, and it's not true. Gay people look, behave and live like every other regular person :P However obvious it might seem to us, these stereotypes are very common.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "get this stereotype that every gay person is like that". What stereotype in particular do you mean?
Oxy

Unread postby Kaspar » 28th August, 2017, 6:57 am

I meant the flamboyant style, vulnerable, girly gay guy going on pride parades to jump in underwear and make out with other dudes in front of everyone :P This is legit how some people see gays, and (while there is a portion of people who behave like this) most gay guys are very far from it and they behave just like regular citizens :P
House Cup 2017

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar

Unread postby Unseasoned Chicken » 28th August, 2017, 7:49 am

I don't think it's entirely fair or accurate to label pride parades as not representative of most LGBT people Kaspar. The fact is most pride parades try to showcase that LGBT people come in all shapes and sizes and are present in every aspect of the community, it's why you see a LGBT athletes group, LGBT police officers, gay bikers group, association of LGBT doctors etc all marching at pride. Most of them are the "average" person you speak of they just happen to be wearing bright colours and celebrating something that got us rights on the one day of the year they can.
Twink enthusiast
Unseasoned Chicken
Is shaking

First name: Ethan
Likes received: 649

Unread postby Kaspar » 28th August, 2017, 10:25 am

Ethán wrote:I don't think it's entirely fair or accurate to label pride parades as not representative of most LGBT people Kaspar. The fact is most pride parades try to showcase that LGBT people come in all shapes and sizes and are present in every aspect of the community, it's why you see a LGBT athletes group, LGBT police officers, gay bikers group, association of LGBT doctors etc all marching at pride. Most of them are the "average" person you speak of they just happen to be wearing bright colours and celebrating something that got us rights on the one day of the year they can.

Don't get me wrong, Ethan, I'm not trying to say that some smaller communities in the LGBT community are better or worse. What I mean is that we are in the community, that's why we understand that people on prides are just regular normal people that celebrate. But what is also true is that many people commonly think that this is how gays look like and behave everyday and it makes them dislike the community as being invasive for them. I'm probably exaggerating a bit in the case of western countries, I'm more speaking about my own experience with mainstream media and common opinion of people in my home country. They are viewing the whole LGBT community based on just a small part of it :P Which is harmful and generalising
House Cup 2017

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar

Unread postby Wayde » 28th August, 2017, 9:39 pm

I think exposing some of the myths about the LGBT community, such as social stigmas and stereotypes, would be really cool. Good luck with your exam!
Wayde
A Witty User Title™

First name: Wayde
Likes received: 17

Unread postby Wayde » 28th August, 2017, 9:45 pm

Kaspar wrote:
Ethán wrote:I don't think it's entirely fair or accurate to label pride parades as not representative of most LGBT people Kaspar. The fact is most pride parades try to showcase that LGBT people come in all shapes and sizes and are present in every aspect of the community, it's why you see a LGBT athletes group, LGBT police officers, gay bikers group, association of LGBT doctors etc all marching at pride. Most of them are the "average" person you speak of they just happen to be wearing bright colours and celebrating something that got us rights on the one day of the year they can.

Don't get me wrong, Ethan, I'm not trying to say that some smaller communities in the LGBT community are better or worse. What I mean is that we are in the community, that's why we understand that people on prides are just regular normal people that celebrate. But what is also true is that many people commonly think that this is how gays look like and behave everyday and it makes them dislike the community as being invasive for them. I'm probably exaggerating a bit in the case of western countries, I'm more speaking about my own experience with mainstream media and common opinion of people in my home country. They are viewing the whole LGBT community based on just a small part of it :P Which is harmful and generalising

I completely see where you are coming from Kasper. Growing up I always associated gays as super flamboyant and feminine because that's how I was told all gays were. And while a portion of the LGBT community is like that (and there is 100% nothing wrong with that), it's a very limiting stereotype. It's the reason people hear "but you don't act gay" when coming out to certain friends. Being gay doesn't make you flamboyant.
Wayde
A Witty User Title™

First name: Wayde
Likes received: 17

Unread postby Littlenorthernboy » 28th August, 2017, 11:03 pm

It really depends on the format/ style of the speaking exam:

is it a speech to single person, whole class or pre-selected audience?

Is it more presentation style?

Freestyle?

You need to blow minds of the ppl in audience, insights is good, but dont cling to common knowledge. Extend to where some of them cannot see, don´t make it too personal, but enough to evoke emotions.
Littlenorthernboy

Likes received: 29

Unread postby Oxy » 29th August, 2017, 9:29 pm

Littlenorthernboy wrote:It really depends on the format/ style of the speaking exam:

is it a speech to single person, whole class or pre-selected audience?

Is it more presentation style?

Freestyle?

You need to blow minds of the ppl in audience, insights is good, but dont cling to common knowledge. Extend to where some of them cannot see, don´t make it too personal, but enough to evoke emotions.

It's a speech to one person in a room. You could bring a script but it would significantly effect your grade in the end.
Oxy

Recently active