The "F-Word" and the LGBT Community

Discuss sexuality, whether your own or someone else's.

The "F-Word" and the LGBT Community

Unread postby GaycrazyBoi » 9th April, 2017, 8:42 pm

So, I've been not known for political correctness, but I've been curious lately. I've never been offended by the word. That word, as you can probably guess, is, of all things, the dreaded "faggot". The mother of all homophobic words. I'm legitimately sorry if I offend anyone with that word, I just want a discussion. What do you think of the word?

History for those who don't know

The word in question, which won't be repeated here for reasons of not wanting to say it any more than necessary here, originally meant "a bundle of sticks". However, during the "gay purges", where LGBT people were being burned at the stake, mostly during medieval times, they became called "faggots", as that literally meant "firewood". When the gay-burnings became the gay-bashings, the name stuck almost exclusively with the LGBT community, and later exclusively with the LGBT community.

Modern day

In the modern day, the dreaded "f-word" is a word that is used almost exclusively to describe homosexuals. However, it's grown to other meanings, like cigarette in England and Sausage in Scotland. In the States, and online, it's just a suffix.

I'm writing this to ask, what are your thoughts when you hear the word? Do you use the word in conversation? Do you wear the word with pride or do you shun it and avoid it?

I use the word in normal conversation, I find it offensive if and only if it is an adjective to describe homosexuals or is homophobic in nature, or implies homophobia. I openly identify as a "faggot". I mean, if I use it, it can't offend me, right?

What do you think about the word in question?

P.S.- Sorry again if that word offends you. It's not intentional. I just want a discussion.
GaycrazyBoi

First name: Nate
Likes received: 45

Team: The Wild West

Re: The "F-Word" and the LGBT Community

Unread postby Vortex » 9th April, 2017, 8:55 pm

ImageImageImage

Ebsy wrote:Leave it to losers on Twitter to complain about being pandered to. You're supposed to complain when someone panders to others, not to you.
[4:46 AM] Saint Drogo: Also, you've got a strangely appealing asshole. I'll give you that much.
[6:03 AM] Pity: Omg... stop making me sound like a racist idiot
[4:51 AM] Scherzy: jerk off to clinton in the safety of your own bedroom luv
[2:56 PM] Saint Drogo: Literally let me use my cock as a paintbrush and my unborn children as paint.
Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

First name: Da'Neil Boxley
Likes received: 268

Unread postby Dessy » 9th April, 2017, 8:58 pm

I think it's a word gays/bis can use and that straight people shouldn't generally use it, as there's never a good context in which they are using it.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Dessy
Moderator Emeriti

First name: Des
Likes received: 307

Unread postby Example » 9th April, 2017, 9:03 pm

lets be real no one ever uses the word for their ciggs and the other meanings
and even if they did they could just not use it anymore
I think it's douchy when people argue how they should be allowed to use it when its not for hateful reasons but if it offends people why not just not use it like dont be such a thick headed stuck up douche
majorities are always trying to tell minorities why their feelings are wrong :argh:
Example

First name: Kyler
Likes received: 435

Unread postby Pity » 9th April, 2017, 9:11 pm

It's really cringey to say irl. I only use it online, ironically :P
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

First name: Marcus
Likes received: 491

Unread postby Cxurujeto » 9th April, 2017, 9:16 pm

Pity wrote:It's really cringey to say irl. I only use it online, ironically :P

:werd:

ImageImageImage
Cxurujeto
Русский

First name: Benn(ett)
Likes received: 55

Unread postby Knope » 9th April, 2017, 9:18 pm

It depends entirely on the context in which the word is used. Context is everything.

Using it in the way that it's intended to be used, in a mean-spirited way to try to diminish someone else? Not cool.

Documentary about LGBT+ kids and bullying? You're good.

EDIT: So I don't think who's actually using the word is important at all. What matters is context and intent.
ImageImage
Knope
Westeros' Vice Captain

Likes received: 84

Popularité Third Place

Unread postby Mawd » 9th April, 2017, 10:36 pm

In casual terms it seems like it's just for edge kids who want to prove how much they're not affected by it; and it's often at the expense of those who are. e.g. channer slang. Sometimes it's just harmless, intent does matter, it's still obnoxious though.
That and bigots.

Sure it means cigs in the UK but if I had a dollar for every time someone had a giggle after saying "yo bruv can I bum a fag?" I'd be pretty well taken care of.
Mawd
Appearing to Disappear; Community Ambassador

First name: Max
Likes received: 111

Unread postby Jacketh » 9th April, 2017, 10:39 pm

Like most words, it depends on the context it is used and who is using it. My friends occasionally called me a fag lighthearted if I was beating them on a game or something; I'd probably reply something equally offensive back to them.

But yeah, fag is also used in the UK for a cigarette. It is probably the most common word for a cigarette, probably.
Jacketh
Admin

First name: Jack
Likes received: 609

Unread postby Vortex » 9th April, 2017, 11:25 pm

I say faggot a lot. I call all my friends faggots. Bitch ass faggot, etc.
Example wrote:lets be real no one ever uses the word for their ciggs and the other meanings

ImageImageImage

Ebsy wrote:Leave it to losers on Twitter to complain about being pandered to. You're supposed to complain when someone panders to others, not to you.
[4:46 AM] Saint Drogo: Also, you've got a strangely appealing asshole. I'll give you that much.
[2:56 PM] Saint Drogo: Literally let me use my cock as a paintbrush and my unborn children as paint.
Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

Unread postby CheeseSlice » 10th April, 2017, 6:50 pm

No, it's not right, neither is retard, slut, whore, etc, yet billions of people say them.
CheeseSlice

First name: Dan
Likes received: 8

Unread postby Littlenorthernboy » 10th April, 2017, 9:21 pm

Context is the key for me as well. Ok, for any words for me that is the most important thing. Any word, including this word imo can be used in certain contexts. Tbh I wouldn't be offended from that word if the person saying it does not mean to be offensive. Same goes with any other words for me.

Would I use it in public? Probably not but merely because would use other strong words to express my emotions if absolutely needed.

Ppl should not first be outright offended by something if they are not 100% sure what were the other person's motives and exact thoughts while they were interacting with you (eg. Are you sure they were actively trying to be offensive, rather than it just feeling them being offensive without you actually knowing whether they intended to offend you or not)..
the reason for this is that since we all have unique ways of thinking and logical reasoning + how we express and recognize emotions and thoughts, as well as different motivators (for example different values from some others than us) etc. it would then only be about demonizing some words. The problem is not a word, if used appropriately, the deal is with how people attach emotions to words in their schemas and use them through their scripts, thinking that how they merely feel about certain word is the only right thing to feel about it, regardless how many of the other ppl would agree with that person's view or not. This only when words are meant neutrally, no word should be used to try snap someone intentionally. For example, even the word "good " can be used for the worst kind of slur there could possibly be "stop it, that's good" [reads angrilly, hope you figure out how the word "good" was used as slur to express anger and such] vs if the word "faggot" was used in a good manner "stop it, that's too faggot" [calm and peaceful voice, expressing for example something being above the rest etc]. Yes, some words have bad connotations, but no it's not a reason to demonize them either.. stop the hate please, or at least try to do so :/
Littlenorthernboy

Likes received: 29

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 10th April, 2017, 10:04 pm

I think its one of those words that was used as a derogatory that we have turned around and use as a symbol of resistance. Its like African-Americans using the n-word. We in the community have taken control over the word and use it amongst ourselves, but straights shouldn't really use in any context. I have given some of my high school friends the permission to use it in reference to me, because that is the nature of our relationship and I've made it clear where the boundaries for them using it are. Not everyone in the community likes the word, so it will vary on who uses it depending on who you're talking to. I think its just a matter of communicating what people are comfortable with
House Cup 2016 - Team Westeros
House Cup 2017 - Team Lion King
Year Cup 2017/18 - The Far East

TheBrunswickian
Data Collector, Community Ambassador

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 348

Unread postby dewitt » 10th April, 2017, 11:54 pm

I think it's trashy and rude to use it, but I think that we all agree on a set of rules.
• If you're gay –> you can use it, I guess.
• If you're straight –> if you use that word, I will push your head so far up your asshole that you'll will probably surface from your own oesophagus.
dewitt

First name: DeWitt
Likes received: 10

Unread postby Pity » 11th April, 2017, 12:03 am

TheBrunswickian wrote:I think its one of those words that was used as a derogatory that we have turned around and use as a symbol of resistance. Its like African-Americans using the n-word.

With this, I now change my stance. I don't like to see the use of the n-word by African-Americans, so I think it's fair to say that gay people shouldn't use the f-word. Using "faggot" is trashy!
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

First name: Marcus
Likes received: 491

Unread postby Vortex » 11th April, 2017, 2:06 am

This is pretty much all there is to it.
ImageImageImage

Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

Unread postby Jimjam » 11th April, 2017, 7:26 am

I can fucking tell you right now it does not mean sausage in Scotland :lol: :lol: :lol:

Take a moment to think of just Flexibility, love, and trust.
Jimjam
Frail and effeminate

Likes received: 59

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 11th April, 2017, 9:03 am

Pity wrote:
TheBrunswickian wrote:I think its one of those words that was used as a derogatory that we have turned around and use as a symbol of resistance. Its like African-Americans using the n-word.

With this, I now change my stance. I don't like to see the use of the n-word by African-Americans, so I think it's fair to say that gay people shouldn't use the f-word. Using "faggot" is trashy!

But you're white... So whatever words African-Americans use in conversation with other African-Americans, it's really not your place to decide. Not that a) that stops you and b) that's not pertinent to this conversation
House Cup 2016 - Team Westeros
House Cup 2017 - Team Lion King
Year Cup 2017/18 - The Far East

TheBrunswickian
Data Collector, Community Ambassador

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 348

Unread postby JonathanT88 » 11th April, 2017, 9:21 am

TheBrunswickian wrote:
Pity wrote:

But you're white... So whatever words African-Americans use in conversation with other African-Americans, it's really not your place to decide. Not that a) that stops you and b) that's not pertinent to this conversation

He's more than entitled to take a principled opposition to the re-appropriation of offensive slang if he likes, and as such his approach to other examples of the same thing is very relevant. All he's doing is attempting to reduce hypocrisy, which seems pretty admirable and which I believe we should all try to do.

Moreover, I'm generally no believer in policing or objecting to language in any case, but if you are going to do it I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to do so across racial lines. We're all human beings, and unless you're going to pretend you have any detailed understanding of the African-American experience I see no reason to avoid commenting. I don't object to the use of nigger by blacks (and don't see any reason to) but that doesn't mean there aren't reasonable arguments to be made, by anyone capable of, well, making an argument.

This is the second time you've suggested people avoid commenting on things which don't affect a group they're part of (last time it was the gender wage gap), and I'm afraid I don't really see the logic. Should all politicians seeking to improve the lives of the working class be from low-income backgrounds?
Gudrun wrote:

"How many times have I told you? Homosexuality is only to be used for revolutionary purposes!"

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImage
JonathanT88
Horny Jonathan of the Homosexual Intifada

First name: Jonathan (duh.)
Likes received: 427

Unread postby JonathanT88 » 11th April, 2017, 9:24 am

Jimjam wrote:I can fucking tell you right now it does not mean sausage in Scotland :lol: :lol: :lol:

You mean you don't like to sink your teeth into a good faggot on a Sunday morning?
Gudrun wrote:

"How many times have I told you? Homosexuality is only to be used for revolutionary purposes!"

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImage
JonathanT88
Horny Jonathan of the Homosexual Intifada

First name: Jonathan (duh.)
Likes received: 427

Next

Recently active
Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot], Bing [Bot], Brandwatch [Bot], CommonCrawl [Bot], Gantrypengy, GaycrazyBoi, Google AppEngine, Google Search Appliance, Jacketh, Orlandn123, Seznam [Bot], The-pink-crusader, Tim., Woollyhoolly and 749 guests