Being on dating sites/apps as a minor

Discuss sexuality, whether your own or someone else's.

Being on dating sites/apps as a minor

Unread postby SociologyBoi » 1st March, 2017, 11:39 pm

There are many dating sites with search options for things like just friends, and I feel like if they know how to navigate themselves well, being on a gay dating site can help a minor(15-17) find community.
Also, all dating resources I know of limit 18 to the minimum setting universally whereas 17 is the age of the consent in most places. I'm not trying to say I condone age gap relationships or anything like that, but if you post your real age in your bio, limit your search to guys 18-21, depending on the age of consent in your community, make it clear you are uninterested in sex, gay dating sites should be available to older minors.
What is your stance on this? If someone were to do attempt this, how would you suggest they keep track of their privacy? What would you suggest as alternatives to publicaly posting photos without cat fishing? What sites/apps would you recommend? What sites/apps are the most hookup based vs. what sites/apps are the most connection or relationship based? Other comments?
SociologyBoi

First name: Thomas White

Re: Being on dating sites/apps as a minor

Unread postby Togetik » 2nd March, 2017, 4:04 am

Most dating apps (For gay people, at least) are predominantly hookup apps and I really wouldn't advise minors to use them, most of the people you'll be interacting with are much older and not really looking for friendship
Togetik

Likes received: 57

Unread postby Ω » 2nd March, 2017, 6:28 am

Yeh as Jake has said the majority of gay men on dating apps use them for hookups and the 'making new friends' aspect is heavily neglected. Unfortunately you might have to look for gay friends the old fashion way =] GTFs a pretty alright place for a young gay to find community might I add.
Vice Captain of 2016 House Cup champions Team Middle Earth

Ω
New fone who dis?

First name: Ethan
Likes received: 281

Unread postby Pity » 2nd March, 2017, 8:19 am

I would definitely wait until you are 18 to use the two most well-known sites, Tinder and Grindr. Not only can you be taken advantage of and the fact it is against their terms of service, it is unfair to real users who are looking for real and legal relationships. There are already dating sites and apps for teenagers, which you can find with a quick google search.

Like Ethan (Ω), I guess you will have to use the resources you have available until you're 18. Best of luck!
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 209

Unread postby Jedikiah » 2nd March, 2017, 8:30 am

If you want a teen (13-18) gay app, use Skout.
Sinceriously,
Jedikiah
Jedikiah

First name: Jed
Likes received: 10

Unread postby George » 2nd March, 2017, 2:29 pm

Keeping the under 18s and over 18s in a seperate pool is for the best :P Not only does it keep the really creepy older guys out of the pool (which is why Tinder is exclusively 18+, because they were slipping through), but if a minor is sending nudes to an adult, the implications on said adult's life legally are quite severe. I support it fullllyyy.
ImageImage

Hi, I'm George. I used to be Mestaris. Never met me before? Heres an idea.
George
Adopt-a-usertitle

First name: George
Likes received: 70

Unread postby Jedikiah » 6th March, 2017, 11:31 am

And also youll have to think about explaining to your friends or/and parents if they caught you.
Sinceriously,
Jedikiah
Jedikiah

First name: Jed
Likes received: 10

Recently active