Have you ever experienced homophobia?

Discuss sexuality, whether your own or someone else's.

What homophobia have you experienced?

I have never experienced/witnessed homophobia
8%
Use of "gay" as a derogatory term
81%
Expression of anti-gay beliefs with a religious motive
46%
Expression of anti-gay beliefs for any other reason
58%
Verbal abuse towards you
58%
Physical abuse towards you
10%
Trial and execution by the Iranian government
4%

Total votes : 128

Have you ever experienced homophobia?

Unread postby JonathanT88 » 29th January, 2017, 8:08 pm

Have you? I'm curious.

Upon reflection, I've only ever heard one person express genuinely anti-gay beliefs in my life-time, alongside the expected adolescent "that's so gay" stuff. About 15 years ago my village was beating gays, so this is very surprising and very positive.

Note: you have more than one poll vote.
Gudrun wrote:

"How many times have I told you? Homosexuality is only to be used for revolutionary purposes!"

ImageImage

ImageImageImage
JonathanT88
Horny Jonathan, Member (of the homosexual intifada)

First name: Jonathan (duh.)
Likes received: 325

Re: Have you ever experienced homophobia?

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 29th January, 2017, 8:15 pm

Yes. There was a very religious Greek guy who went to my high school who told me that being gay wasn't a thing, that I was confused/sick/mentally deranged/a fucking spaz - depended on the day. He told me all the usual religious bullshit. I also have had the regular use of gay in a derogatory way blah blah. I also once got verbally abused by right-wing protesters once.
House Cup 2016 - Team Westeros

TheBrunswickian
Jesslut, Community Ambassador

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 226

Unread postby Liam » 29th January, 2017, 9:45 pm

It wasn't blatant homophobia that I experienced, but it still made me very uncomfortable and ruined what could have been a perfectly good date..

Me and my boyfriend were at the movies, and the group behind us must have noticed we were holding hands because I heard them whispering and the word "gross" was used. I didn't want to start a scene or anything, and I don't think Taylor heard but he definitely wasn't comfortable either so we spent the whole movie acting as if we were friends. So that really sucked.

And then my uncle straight up said he's glad gay people are bullied, because "maybe they'll stop being that way" and my mom got in a huge fight with him for that. But that's about all I've dealt with
Liam
The Fake Cheesy, Sexual Exhibitionist Canadian

First name: Liam
Likes received: 19

Unread postby Hyacinth » 29th January, 2017, 9:57 pm

I've experienced:

• Use of "gay" as a derogatory term
  • Expression of anti-gay beliefs with a religious motive
  • Expression of anti-gay beliefs for any other reason
  • Verbal abuse towards you
  • Physical abuse too, not directly because of my sexuality but it did contribute to it
  • Irritating stereotypes
  • Weird looks
  • Social discrimination because of sexuality
  • And my sexuality is still a taboo amongst my extended family and will probably remain so until the end of their lives or mine

That's all I can think of right now. Most of it has long discontinued and aside of the people's mentality, it's bearable to be gay here. I always feel much freer when I'm in any Western country though.
Hyacinth
Formerly 'Jan'

First name: Jan
Likes received: 11

Unread postby Vortex » 29th January, 2017, 10:33 pm

A boy from here outed me and then I had to go to conversion therapy.

When I was about 3, my dad instructed my two older brothers to "beat the gay out of me," because I was a very flamboyant child.

When I was 11, I called my older brother gay as an insult, and my dad screamed at me because that is the worst possible thing you could call someone.

When I worked at boy scout camp, one kid slept with a knife under his pillow in case I tried to rape him, and another coworker kept calling me Doctor Faggot.

After finding out I was gay, my dad almost had a mental breakdown, and couldn't comprehend why I would want to do this to him. He's never forgiven himself for failing me so hard, 8 years later.

He reminded me at the time that this was worse than anything my brother had ever done; including getting arrested for calling in a fake bomb threat and dealing drugs.

On the morning after the Orlando shooting, my parents mocked the idea that this was an LGBT terror attack, and that this was in any way a reflection of American culture. They mocked the idea that they could be considered homophobic, because it doesn't exist.

That morning, they made me go to church with them, and their pastor said "This sure was tragic, but what can you expect being in a place like that so late?"
ImageImage

Ebsy wrote:Leave it to losers on Twitter to complain about being pandered to. You're supposed to complain when someone panders to others, not to you.
[4:46 AM] Saint Drogo: Also, you've got a strangely appealing asshole. I'll give you that much.
[6:03 AM] Pity: Omg... stop making me sound like a racist idiot
[4:51 AM] Scherzy: jerk off to clinton in the safety of your own bedroom luv
[2:56 PM] Saint Drogo: Literally let me use my cock as a paintbrush and my unborn children as paint.
Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

First name: Da'Neil Boxley
Likes received: 186

Unread postby Pity » 29th January, 2017, 11:44 pm

No, I never have. Sure, we've all heard people throw "gay" and "faggot" around as an insult, but I've never had it directed at me. It doesn't really bother me when people do it either because I just think it's funny. For example, I overheard a small group of freshmen asking each other on a scale from 1-10 how homophobic they are. When that gets passed around, you better believe some of them think about cock from time-to-time.

I suppose I may experience it if I make it obvious I'm gay, but the most "homophobic" thing that happens when I tell people I'm gay is just an awkward 5-second silence.
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

Likes received: 209

Unread postby Ned » 29th January, 2017, 11:54 pm

I come from a home where I was bashed and abused for it, verbally mentally and physically. I was kicked out multiple times but permanently the week I turned 18. Aside from that, I've copped abuse from strangers on the street, passing cars and I've copped a fist or three to the body and face even in Melbourne CBD with witnesses around. It's not great, but if anyone truly thinks homophobia is no longer a serious issue, they're letting their privilege and luck show.
Ned
resident grandpa who just wont die yet

Likes received: 7

Unread postby Vortex » 30th January, 2017, 12:27 am

Pity wrote:No, I never have. Sure, we've all heard people throw "gay" and "faggot" around as an insult, but I've never had it directed at me. It doesn't really bother me when people do it either because I just think it's funny. For example, I overheard a small group of freshmen asking each other on a scale from 1-10 how homophobic they are. When that gets passed around, you better believe some of them think about cock from time-to-time.

I suppose I may experience it if I make it obvious I'm gay, but the most "homophobic" thing that happens when I tell people I'm gay is just an awkward 5-second silence.

This explains a lot about your world view.
ImageImage

Ebsy wrote:Leave it to losers on Twitter to complain about being pandered to. You're supposed to complain when someone panders to others, not to you.
[4:46 AM] Saint Drogo: Also, you've got a strangely appealing asshole. I'll give you that much.
[2:56 PM] Saint Drogo: Literally let me use my cock as a paintbrush and my unborn children as paint.
Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

Unread postby EstonianGuy123 » 30th January, 2017, 6:56 am

Vortex wrote:This explains a lot about your world view.

:err:

What did I miss
ImageImageImage
EstonianGuy123

Unread postby Pity » 30th January, 2017, 8:14 am

Vortex wrote:
Pity wrote:No, I never have. Sure, we've all heard people throw "gay" and "faggot" around as an insult, but I've never had it directed at me. It doesn't really bother me when people do it either because I just think it's funny. For example, I overheard a small group of freshmen asking each other on a scale from 1-10 how homophobic they are. When that gets passed around, you better believe some of them think about cock from time-to-time.

So, because I haven't experienced homophobia, my world view is wrong :squint:
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

Likes received: 209

Unread postby Vortex » 30th January, 2017, 6:38 pm

Pity wrote:
Vortex wrote:

So, because I haven't experienced homophobia, my world view is wrong :squint:

That's not even what I said.
ImageImage

Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

Unread postby Lachie » 30th January, 2017, 7:27 pm

I think at this point everyone has heard the use of "gay" as a derogatory term. I'm still closeted so I've never experienced direct homophobia, but people say a lot of shit when they think everyone involved is straight. Some of my closest friends are very conservative Christians who aren't rude or mean to gays, but just think that they're "immoral". Once, one of my "friends" got into a full fight with one of my closest friends, because he said "You have beautiful eyes!". It was very funny, but he should have been more careful since he KNEW this guy was a full on homophobe, I think I heard him say that we need to "gas the fags" once. :facepalm2:
I'm very lucky that my family will probably be fairly accepting, and it's absolutely terrible what some of you went through. It's good to see, however, that despite these horrible, ignorant people, we will still go on living our lives. we're gonna keep fucking, and marrying (where it's legal) and adopting. And one day, our homosexual agenda will reign superior. :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay: :gay:
Lachie

First name: Lachie
Likes received: 3

Unread postby Ω » 30th January, 2017, 9:19 pm

Bitch I live homophobia.

For as long as I can remember my father has been extremely homophobic, in fact I can't remember a day in my whole life where he hasn't felt the need to say something derogatory about homosexuals. He associates everything bad with homosexuality. I have a very 'girly' dog and my father has never called him by his name, instead he uses 'faggot'. Most surprisingly my brother is also extremely homophobic he reckons he's going to bash me if I turn out gay. It confuseses me considering we've grown up in such a liberal decade and country. Lastly my friends aren't too homophobic, like they won't go out of their way to say homophobic things but they definitely feel extremely uncomfortable around gay people which sucks :). Although I've never directly experienced homophobia as I'm not out I still feel offended when its around me, especially when I just have to sit and listen and not defend gays, sometimes I'm even expected to join in.
Vice Captain of 2016 House Cup champions Team Middle Earth

Ω
New fone who dis?

First name: Ethan
Likes received: 281

Unread postby Roulé 305 » 31st January, 2017, 1:12 am

I have been bullied for being gay since before I knew I were homosexual, like looooong before. Rumours about me kissing a boy in primary school, the hell of early years of comprehensive school of yet more rumours.

Then I came out later in comp. All of my "friends" basically never talked to me again after that. I went to an all boys school where fitting in and being masculine etc were the most important things. I guess I must have made them feel threatened. I didn't really have any friends until two years after, when I finally met the other comp social outcasts. I was verbally abused and pushed around nearly every day between coming out and leaving 6th form. The teachers used to tell me that I brought it on myself, they never did anything.

I don't really talk about all of that very much since I feel it's one of the reasons why I am insecure. I've never even told my parents about it, though they are both fine with me being gay. I feel it would probably break my mothers heart.

Now I'm at university I see it a lot less. It's still there and I still experience it sometimes, just a lot less. There was this one time where I was just wearing a rainbow bow tie walking home alone from a gaybar. There was a group of drunk guys and they said a lot of horrible things, that was scary and I never walk home alone anymore when I wear certain things. It's not an every day thing anymore though.

(sorry if this is all a bit depressing)
Roulé 305
formerly TheNerdInABowTie

Likes received: 28

Unread postby Example » 31st January, 2017, 5:12 am

someone tried to spit on me and yelled stuff at me at the club a bit ago!!
ImageImageImageImage
Example
James Corden

First name: Kyler
Likes received: 195

Unread postby Charlie » 31st January, 2017, 12:14 pm

Not really experienced a huge amount of active homophobia, (direct abuse as such), but just a lot of latent homophobia, throughout school and local family social circle. I feel like a lot of these people view gay people as a distant humour and don't really believe that is something relevant to them or their family/friends as it doesn't fit in with the upper middle class, nuclear family rhetoric that they're fed upon.
Dm's open for attractive members of the bourgeois.
Charlie
Ee aye ee aye oh

Likes received: 50

Unread postby Vortex » 1st February, 2017, 1:03 am

Example wrote:someone tried to spit on me and yelled stuff at me at the club a bit ago!!

Was that homophobia, or...
ImageImage

Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

Unread postby Example » 1st February, 2017, 10:24 am

Vortex wrote:
Example wrote:someone tried to spit on me and yelled stuff at me at the club a bit ago!!

Was that homophobia, or...

yea but i think id get banned for saying the words they did
all the bouncers just watched too and then like look away so my gay friend nathon freaked OUT on all of them and started screaming in the managers face
i was like omg qq lets just go
ImageImageImageImage
Example
James Corden

First name: Kyler
Likes received: 195

Unread postby Togetik » 2nd February, 2017, 1:55 am

I've only really had direct homophobia addressed at me online, but i've been around homophobic people as they've said homophobic things. I've had my friends say things that've made me directly uncomfortable, but I guess they don't see that stuff as homophobic considering I have an openly bi friend who's perfectly fine engaging in that kind of talk, and the friends i'm out to don't seem to think it's an issue when i'm around.

I'm lucky enough to have a mostly progressive family, so that's never really been an issue i've had to face
Togetik

Likes received: 57

Unread postby muddylegs » 2nd February, 2017, 10:37 am

Surprisingly enough for someone who has grown up in a Christian family, I've never experienced any homophobia for religious reasons, from anyone.

I have been taunted for it at school, not physically but verbally and emotionally(? if that's a thing) but I'd rather not talk about that, at least not publically :P
[6:50 PM] Flaggermus: muddy you cant just lynch people
[11:09 AM] TheWoahAlex: you can't lynch everyone!
[9:14 PM] Mestaris: MUDDY YOU CANT LYNCH PEOPLE. LYNCHING PEOPLE IS NOT A SOLUTION
[2:32 PM] Zefare: Muddy, you can't just lynch people!
[2:23 PM] bettasnail: you have a thing for lynching ppl don't you
[7:59 PM] AwesomeCDog: muddyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy not everyone is ready and willing to hurt others
[9:42 PM] matiboi96: Lol rob you can't just order someone to amputate themselves!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

[5:32 PM] Tyler: Fuck me sideways and call me grandma

[7:38 PM] Mestaris: your fetishes are worse than mine

Scherzy wrote:wonderfully creative, awesomely cute, horribly funny, uncomfortably morbid, relatively fucked-up, and outright twisted
muddylegs
Coca-Cola Poster BOY, Community Ambassador

Likes received: 134

Next

Recently active