Crystal Methamphetamine in the LGBT Community

Discuss sexuality, whether your own or someone else's.

Crystal Methamphetamine in the LGBT Community

Unread postby Vortex » 15th December, 2016, 5:40 pm

Hello! You may be wondering why this is a topic. This year, I have noticed more and more people I care about develop problems with using crystal meth. While this is a growing problem in many places, I've especially noticed it among the gay community.

What is crystal meth?
From the name, can guess that it's a crystalline drug, usually white(Or blue if you watched Breaking Bad). It's not a new drug; during World War II, Allied bomber pilots used it to stay awake during long flights. It has also been used to treat obesity.

Terms for meth
Personally, I've heard ice, crystal, T, Tina, PNP, party and play, glass, ice, as well as writing words like parTy and chemsex. If you see someone on grindr or elsewhere with a word with a random t capitalized, it is likely they use meth.

Why do people use meth?
The article "After Party" by Mathew Rodriguez for POZ magazine gives some insight.
"Dopamine produces a positive reaction to every-day occurrences that keep us alive. When we eat or drink, our body gives us dopamine. In fact, studies show that eating food releases about 150 units of dopamine. Sex (without drugs) releases 200 units, nicotine results in 250, and cocaine clocks in at 350. In comparison, crystal meth unleashes a whopping 1,100 units of dopamine."

Usage of meth and HIV
Meth can lead to severe loss of inhibition, leading to a higher correlation of meth use and HIV infection rates. Not only this, but reports show that HIV positive men are much more likely to use meth.
“For HIV positive men, crystal is specifically about sex, about feeling hot, desirable, and finding a mental space where there is no HIV,” writes Walter Armstrong. Not only this, but he quotes a psychotherapist from 1991 as saying “Many potential survivors(of AIDS) will not ultimately survive because of the self-destructive behaviors that guilt, depression and anxiety motivate. For those who will survive in a biological sense, there is already an immense amount of psychological damage wrought by the HIV epidemic." This has, in part, led to increased use of meth in the LGBT community.

Why is meth bad?
For one reason, it's generally made from some very toxic and dangerous chemicals, such as acetone, sulfuric acid, antifreeze, and of course ephedrine. However, its ingredients are not the only issues with it. It also causes weight loss, dental problems, damage to blood vessels in your heart and brain, damage to your liver and kidneys, as well as region specific issues involving the method which you took it. Not only this, but it has several physical side effects.
Long term use of crystal methamphetamine can actually change your face. It can cause/exaggerate acne, as well as lead to excessive picking at your skin, resulting in sores and scarring. This is generally caused by a sensory hallucination of bugs crawling beneath the skin, although this does not effect everyone.

Typical of amphetamines(such as adderall), meth will cause a decrease in appetite. Prolonged use can lead to undernourishment due to long periods without eating. The gaunt expression typical of long term use is the result of the body consuming muscle tissue and facial fat to stay alive.

Furthermore, the phenomenon of "meth mouth" is caused by factors such as the chemicals in meth dissolving the tooth enamel, as well as constriction of blood vessels in your teeth and gums. Along with this there is a diminished production of saliva, which allows harmful acids in meth to further damage your mouth.

Talking to your friends about their problem
If someone you know has problems with using meth, wait for them to come down before talking to them about it. This is mainly because you want them to be in a lucid state of mind. Avoid getting angry or sounding like you are condemning or judging them. Make sure that they are aware that you love them and want to help them.
ImageImage

Ebsy wrote:Leave it to losers on Twitter to complain about being pandered to. You're supposed to complain when someone panders to others, not to you.
[4:46 AM] Saint Drogo: Also, you've got a strangely appealing asshole. I'll give you that much.
[6:03 AM] Pity: Omg... stop making me sound like a racist idiot
[4:51 AM] Scherzy: jerk off to clinton in the safety of your own bedroom luv
[2:56 PM] Saint Drogo: Literally let me use my cock as a paintbrush and my unborn children as paint.
Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

First name: Da'Neil Boxley
Likes received: 188

Re: Crystal Methamphetamine in the LGBT Community

Unread postby Charlie » 15th December, 2016, 6:15 pm

I feel that there are a lot of issues with the gay community in how it deals with issues such as drugs, dangerous sex and promiscuity, unhealthy relationships, grooming and the such. I guess its partially because as a minority group, the gay community has historically been shunned and lumped in with all other kinds of "deviants" but as we start to get more equality, there needs to be a push to address this toxic core.

Just because people who indulged in these unhealthy customs helped progress gay rights in the past, doesn't mean we should necessarily agree with them now. The way how drugs and gay sex are so casually linked is worrying, and I feel like a lot of things like drugs, wanton sex and unhealthy relationships happen due to being different/bullied/ostracised for being gay, and should be treated, not promoted as being "part of the diverse gay scene"

(Yes there's nothing inherently wrong with being a drug fuelled village bicycle for the over 50's but its often a poor effort to maska problem rather than to cure it)

Sorry for going slightly off topic but important thread.
Dm's open for attractive members of the bourgeois.
Charlie
Ee aye ee aye oh

Likes received: 50

Unread postby Pity » 15th December, 2016, 10:09 pm

Interesting. I never would have thought chrystal meth is a drug that the LGBT is prone to. I always thought it's just poppers and needle-based drugs.
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 210

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 15th December, 2016, 11:27 pm

Pity wrote:the LGBT

sounds like something my dead, homophobic grandfather would say
House Cup 2016 - Team Westeros

TheBrunswickian
Jesslut, Community Ambassador

Likes received: 233

Unread postby Pity » 15th December, 2016, 11:53 pm

TheBrunswickian wrote:
Pity wrote:the LGBT

sounds like something my dead, homophobic grandfather would say

:gay:
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

Likes received: 210

Unread postby Vortex » 16th December, 2016, 1:48 am

Pity wrote:Interesting. I never would have thought chrystal meth is a drug that the LGBT is prone to. I always thought it's just poppers and needle-based drugs.

Yeah many people are surprised by this. It's got a lot to do with the physical and sexual energy it gives you.
Also, personally I wouldn't really consider poppers a drug. Its effects are incredibly fleeting.
ImageImage

Ebsy wrote:Leave it to losers on Twitter to complain about being pandered to. You're supposed to complain when someone panders to others, not to you.
[4:46 AM] Saint Drogo: Also, you've got a strangely appealing asshole. I'll give you that much.
[2:56 PM] Saint Drogo: Literally let me use my cock as a paintbrush and my unborn children as paint.
Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

Unread postby ConnorM » 16th December, 2016, 3:18 am

Vortex wrote:
Pity wrote:Interesting. I never would have thought crystal meth is a drug that the LGBT is prone to. I always thought it's just poppers and needle-based drugs.

Yeah many people are surprised by this. It's got a lot to do with the physical and sexual energy it gives you.
Also, personally I wouldn't really consider poppers a drug. Its effects are incredibly fleeting.

GHB and other party drugs such as benzodiazepines are also prevalent in the gay community. GHB especially is used in the same vein as rohypnol as a date rape drug, and is certainly a reason to never accept a drink that you didn't watch get made.
All amphetamines can be dangerous, of course. As far as I'm aware, methamphetamine was issued widespread to German soldiers nearing the end of the Second World War, which actually made the malnutrition problem worse for them. It started out being used in inhalers for asthma in the early 1900's, and after a while, it was adapted for use as a drug after some idiot decided to eat the cotton-packed amphetamine dropper in his inhaler. In emergency inhalers, it's been replaced by albuterol, which acts differently than amphetamines.
I don't know if there are common medications that can actually treat methamphetamine overdose, or how well treatments work for amphetamine addiction, compared to opioid treatments. Just so everyone's aware, if you're ever in a situation where someone is overdosing on an opioid, naloxone/Narcan is an anti-opioid that can almost instantly break an overdose, though it won't stop cardiac arrest, but in any event, make sure that emergency services know that it's an opioid that's causing the problem, and they'll be able to treat it.
ConnorM
Sir Conor the Incompetent

Likes received: 63

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 16th December, 2016, 5:22 am

Vortex wrote:
Pity wrote:Interesting. I never would have thought chrystal meth is a drug that the LGBT is prone to. I always thought it's just poppers and needle-based drugs.

Agreed. Poppers give a short-lived high that only serves to relax the body and, especially for bottoms, easier to take dick
House Cup 2016 - Team Westeros

TheBrunswickian
Jesslut, Community Ambassador

Likes received: 233

Unread postby Strider » 16th December, 2016, 3:24 pm

Crystal Meth is not very popular here in the UK. It never really took off like it has in the States and Australia.

But anyway interesting thread.
Strider
Veritas vos liberabit

Likes received: 5

Unread postby Vortex » 17th December, 2016, 2:27 am

Strider wrote:Crystal Meth is not very popular here in the UK. It never really took off like it has in the States and Australia.

But anyway interesting thread.

Yeah I was surprised recently to learn about its prominence in Australia.
ImageImage

Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

Unread postby Togetik » 17th December, 2016, 3:23 am

Meth is a pretty huge problem here, yeah, the government ran an advertisement campaign a little while ago of which some where absolutely unintentionally hilarious (For example: Drugged up young man punches out his mother with a slow mo pan to his little sister's completely disinterested face as she watches her mother get cold clocked)

They didn't actually do much to try and help counter it's use or anything, and really the horrible treatment of people on welfare & the negative culture that they've cultivated around people on welfare has only served to harm users even more.
Togetik

Likes received: 57

Unread postby Usernamesarefortwats » 21st December, 2016, 2:35 am

I'm not allowed to cuss but, I'm going to have to! USE FUCKING WEED! DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH LONGER IT LASTS HOW MANY MORE GOOD EFFECTS ON YOU I MEAN FOR FUCKS SAKE IT SAVED MY LIFE! MY POINT IS IT'S BETTER FOR YOU, USE IT
#I WAS NEVER HERE POOF
What am I doing with my life?
Usernamesarefortwats

Unread postby Jedikiah » 21st December, 2016, 4:57 am

i just dont really support any drugs. Especially cuz in Australia, we are pretty religious so a lot of people are homophobic (more are becoming more accepting now i believe). Also, there are a lot of drug addicts and alcoholics here so yea.
Sinceriously,
Jedikiah
Jedikiah

First name: Jed
Likes received: 10

Unread postby Vortex » 21st December, 2016, 3:36 pm

Jedikiah wrote:i just dont really support any drugs. Especially cuz in Australia, we are pretty religious so a lot of people are homophobic (more are becoming more accepting now i believe).

..?
ImageImage

Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

Unread postby muddylegs » 21st December, 2016, 3:57 pm

Usernamesarefortwats wrote:I'm not allowed to cuss but, I'm going to have to! USE FUCKING WEED! DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH LONGER IT LASTS HOW MANY MORE GOOD EFFECTS ON YOU I MEAN FOR FUCKS SAKE IT SAVED MY LIFE! MY POINT IS IT'S BETTER FOR YOU, USE IT
#I WAS NEVER HERE POOF

I believe that if an anti drugs thread is created the intent is not necessarily for people to advocate alternative drugs :lol:
Also, you really shouldn't be recommending weed on a teen forum- whilst it's fine for most adults, current psychology reckons if you use it as a kid it can fuck your mind up permanently.

(Also, what about that meant you had to cuss? smh.)
[6:50 PM] Flaggermus: muddy you cant just lynch people
[11:09 AM] TheWoahAlex: you can't lynch everyone!
[9:14 PM] Mestaris: MUDDY YOU CANT LYNCH PEOPLE. LYNCHING PEOPLE IS NOT A SOLUTION
[2:32 PM] Zefare: Muddy, you can't just lynch people!
[2:23 PM] bettasnail: you have a thing for lynching ppl don't you
[7:59 PM] AwesomeCDog: muddyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy not everyone is ready and willing to hurt others
[9:42 PM] matiboi96: Lol rob you can't just order someone to amputate themselves!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

[5:32 PM] Tyler: Fuck me sideways and call me grandma

[7:38 PM] Mestaris: your fetishes are worse than mine

Scherzy wrote:wonderfully creative, awesomely cute, horribly funny, uncomfortably morbid, relatively fucked-up, and outright twisted
muddylegs
Coca-Cola Poster BOY

Likes received: 136

Unread postby Vortex » 21st December, 2016, 3:58 pm

This is not a drugs discussion thread. I deliberately did not put it in intellectual discussion for a reason.
ImageImage

Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

Unread postby Jedikiah » 21st December, 2016, 10:43 pm

Vortex you use weed for medical purposes, thats understandable :)
Sinceriously,
Jedikiah
Jedikiah

First name: Jed
Likes received: 10

Unread postby Tim. » 22nd December, 2016, 9:33 am

Especially cuz in Australia, we are pretty religious

Lol not really, only 7.5% of the population regularly attend church, and while religious institutions do operate a quite significant portion of the education and health system that doesn't really translate into active religious participation, I went to a catholic high school and I probably had about 2 friends in my group who didn't identify as atheists. While the majority do still self describe as Christian, i bet you wouldn't find a bible in more than half their homes. 'No religion' is also the fastest growing answer to the religion question in the census and is expected to have grown significantly from 22% in 2011. It may even overtake Catholicism which is the current highest response at 25%. We still have a fair way to go to hit NZs not religious rate which is over 40%. But still don't really see how your religion comment is relevant on a discussion on meth addiction.

Tim.
White Tupac

First name: Tim
Likes received: 53

Recently active