CHALLENGE#4 Creative Writing!

Here you can participate in all manner of forum-wide games and contests, or even start one of your own!

CHALLENGE#4 Creative Writing!

Unread postby Unseasoned Chicken » 25th July, 2017, 2:14 pm

HOUSE CUP 2017

Challenge #4Creative Writing!

The fourth challenge is here! This week you'll be taking off those costumes or putting your clothes back on (Pity & Scherzy :eli: ) you'll be putting pen to paper (or, rather, fingers to keyboards), and writing a story for us. We had a large number of entries last year, and, although it took a while to mark, it was really worth it.

2016 thread
2015 thread
2012 thread

Your story must be focused around one of the following themes:

"Stranger in a strange world"
"How we changed"
"The Rubicon"

• There is a word limit of 1498 words and no lower limit, we will allow a 10% leniency on the word limit.
• You may include photos.
• If your writing includes a subject that may be sensitive for some users (for example, sexual harassment), please note that before you post.
• You may collaborate together with team members and get ideas, but only one author gets credit.
• Plagiarism will lead to immediate disqualification. All entries will be checked.
• Regardless of where you finish, you will score two points for entering.

You will be judged on Creativity/Originality, Technical Ability (language, structure, imagery, etc), and Grammar and Spelling.

Every member that submits will be given two points.

The deadline is next Wednesday: 2nd August, 10:01pm BST.

Standard rules apply
Twink enthusiast
Unseasoned Chicken
Is shaking

First name: Ethan
Likes received: 649

Re: CHALLENGE#4 Creative Writing!

Unread postby Pity » 25th July, 2017, 2:28 pm

Let's get writing, sluts! We gotta be like the Freedom Writers up in this bitch!

Pity
hotty & disgraced member

First name: Marcus
Likes received: 489

Team: The Wild West

Unread postby Vortex » 25th July, 2017, 8:23 pm

I feel like the third theme needs clarity.
ImageImageImage

Ebsy wrote:Leave it to losers on Twitter to complain about being pandered to. You're supposed to complain when someone panders to others, not to you.
[4:46 AM] Saint Drogo: Also, you've got a strangely appealing asshole. I'll give you that much.
[6:03 AM] Pity: Omg... stop making me sound like a racist idiot
[4:51 AM] Scherzy: jerk off to clinton in the safety of your own bedroom luv
[2:56 PM] Saint Drogo: Literally let me use my cock as a paintbrush and my unborn children as paint.
Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

First name: Da'Neil Boxley
Likes received: 268

Unread postby JamieC » 25th July, 2017, 8:32 pm

I hope to get round to entering this year. Creative writing was always my favourite aspect of English studies. :keke:
Last edited by JamieC on 25th July, 2017, 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JamieC
Desperado

Likes received: 110

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 25th July, 2017, 9:18 pm

Ah good, something I can work with
House Cup 2016 - Team Westeros
House Cup 2017 - Team Lion King
Year Cup 2017/18 - The Far East

TheBrunswickian
Data Collector, Community Ambassador

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 348

Unread postby Unseasoned Chicken » 26th July, 2017, 2:42 am

Vortex wrote:I feel like the third theme needs clarity.

The theme is there as to give you a general direction but should be interpreted however the author wants, I'm not sure how I can clarify it. Or do you not know what the Rubicon is? or it's references in literature?
Wikipedia wrote:The idiom "Crossing the Rubicon" means to pass a point of no return
Twink enthusiast
Unseasoned Chicken
Is shaking

First name: Ethan
Likes received: 649

Unread postby Vortex » 26th July, 2017, 6:33 pm

Yeah, I literally didn't know what it meant, haha.
ImageImageImage

Ebsy wrote:Leave it to losers on Twitter to complain about being pandered to. You're supposed to complain when someone panders to others, not to you.
[4:46 AM] Saint Drogo: Also, you've got a strangely appealing asshole. I'll give you that much.
[2:56 PM] Saint Drogo: Literally let me use my cock as a paintbrush and my unborn children as paint.
Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 29th July, 2017, 9:06 am

Here we go. I present a wine-fueled entry
House Cup 2016 - Team Westeros
House Cup 2017 - Team Lion King
Year Cup 2017/18 - The Far East

TheBrunswickian
Data Collector, Community Ambassador

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 348

Unread postby Pity » 29th July, 2017, 11:08 am

TheBrunswickian wrote:Here we go. I present a wine-fueled entry

Neat story! I personally like the way you described the entrance and how "his shoes clicked on the marble foyer."
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

First name: Marcus
Likes received: 489

Unread postby Abdeltyf » 29th July, 2017, 4:01 pm

TheBrunswickian wrote:Here we go. I present a wine-fueled entry

That's some strong stuff :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

:keke:
Abdeltyf
Formerly "Winpartium"

First name: Abdeltyf
Likes received: 25

Team: The Far East

Unread postby Scherzy » 30th July, 2017, 9:23 pm

Might as well go for lucky number 2 :P
Here ya go
ImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Scherzy
Community Ambassador

First name: Aiden
Likes received: 180

2 points have been awarded for this post.

Unread postby beastie1 » 31st July, 2017, 12:57 pm

What would happen if I posted an entry without yet being assigned to a house?
beastie1

Likes received: 11

Unread postby Scherzy » 31st July, 2017, 3:13 pm

beastie1 wrote:What would happen if I posted an entry without yet being assigned to a house?

I suppose you'd be assigned as soon as you submit/before :)
ImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Scherzy
Community Ambassador

First name: Aiden
Likes received: 180

Unread postby Vortex » 31st July, 2017, 10:45 pm

Just gotta revise mine then I am good to go!!!
ImageImageImage

Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

Unread postby Abdeltyf » 1st August, 2017, 8:20 am

-
Last edited by Abdeltyf on 12th August, 2017, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

:keke:
Abdeltyf
Formerly "Winpartium"

First name: Abdeltyf
Likes received: 25

Unread postby Lochlan » 1st August, 2017, 2:52 pm

This is for that "How we changed" theme. It fits it quite loosely so I hope it's still ok :P
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I can't do it.

I can't watch them lower you into the ground. I have a thousand shoulders to cry on, but right here, right now, the only one I want is yours.

Do you remember that car ride? Young and free and alive we drove for miles without a care; we were immortal. We sang our favourite songs to each other, and we sat in the most comfortable silences. The road was our omnipresent ticket to the future, and we held onto it for dear life. Naïve and optimistic, we promised each other we would never leave or walk away.

But now you're gone.

Your cheerful ebullience is gone and I'm watching it get buried in dirt, alone.

Such a lapse in the horrors of the real world couldn't last forever though. Our idealistic world of joy and tarmac dissolved into an overwhelming imbroglio. Our tongues were sharp like knives and hurt twice as much. But we persevered with our hateful affection. Was that for the best? Those hard times made us question why we even tried, and yet we did. Some may have called it love.

From then on, I lived a life of dissimilation, false pretences so that your family would believe we were okay. Yet out of that we found satisfaction and comfort. We slipped back into our old psyches; you and I against the world.

So what is there for me to do now? Half of me is dead; the rest is receding rapidly. Yet, you told me to be optimistic and positive, but how?

All it takes is one pyrrhic surgery. 'Routine’. ‘Complications’. ‘Nothing we can do’.

When you were lay there, a fragment of yourself, minutes before passing on, you spoke to me, never getting to explain yourself.

“The end of my life should not mean the end of yours.”

It makes sense, but my heart refuses. All I can do is watch and wait as you finally leave me, and walk away, a deconstructed mess of desultory sobs. Perhaps one day, far in the future, I'll be able to live on, just as you wanted.
I'll find some real nice thing for my signature one day..
Lochlan

First name: Lochlan
Likes received: 46

Unread postby Hedgie » 1st August, 2017, 3:50 pm

Theme "strangers in a strange world"
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I was solely responsible for the life of three infantile animals, and I failed. There’s no other way to view it. Let me start from the beginning when I received my first box of animals. The cool, artificial wind of my car caresses my face as I mosey along the familiar road with an unfamiliar box beside me. Inside the box, three pairs of eyes observe and analyze my every twitch. The silent shifting inside that foreign box elicit a wonder inside me about what I’ve just volunteered for. As I arrive home, I’m both enthralled by and scared of that box. I’m happy to have the box, but now that it’s mine, I’m responsible for the well-being and future quality of life for the mystery inside that box. I open the box, pulling away the edges and hear them scatter to the opposite corner. When the box is opened completely, my face is to their faces, I’m greeted by their horrified expression and disheartening hisses. I leave them in that box in a closed off room for the night.
The next morning, the playful trotting of paws against the tile of my bathroom awakes me. They seem to be chasing each other. I leisurely open the door. Before I step in, they’ve scattered. One behind the toilet, another under the sink, and the final one… frozen, behind the door I just opened. This is the first time I’m able to get a good look at them. Two of them appear siamese -one darker than the other- and the other all black with bright golden eyes. Each one has those dilated pupils that discreetly scream fear. I’m disappointed by their flight, but understand that I’m the first human they’ve experienced. I take a towel and tightly swaddle each one after enduring many hisses and chases. I begin to pet them, slowly becoming more and more bold, quickly learning what they tolerate or what scares them. Each day, with this routine, I push the boundaries of my interaction with them.
Everyday had it’s own challenges. One day, I picked up the darker siamese for his daily socialization, then set him down on my lap. Suddenly, it happened: the thing that would soon make me a failure. I laid the kitten on my lap, brought my hand down on his head, slowly moving across his neck, then his body, then his tail. Soon the small, frightened kitten began to… purr. We were both spooked by the motor boat humming from his throat. Ever since that first purr, everytime I touch Nugget he starts that same engine- I kept him. In the world of fostering, that’s the biggest failure because that’s one less kitten I can foster next time; one less kitten I can take off the streets; one less kitten that can be spayed or neutered; one more cat that can reproduce to continue the cycle of overpopulation. But to me, I won the cutest, sweetest, friendliest companion animal.
But, how can love possibly be a bad thing? Love for an animal, person, passion, or anything. Love is something that transcends human morals, desires, relationships family. If I had been told beforehand that I would make a decision that would worsen the lives of an infinite number of animals, I simply wouldn’t have believed them. I rescue
animals. I spend so much time taking care of them. My love for this animal blurred my vision; I made that decision, and I don’t regret it. Everyday I’m greeted by rumbling purrs and pettings that blind me to the consequences of my decision. I didn’t learn to not make the same mistake again.I learned I’m just a stranger in a strange upsidedown world.
Hedgie
(exploding) fruit

Likes received: 7

Unread postby Example » 1st August, 2017, 4:12 pm

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Ghost in the Flesh

I wasn't always like this, I used to be able to live in the sun with everyone else. I was told I could be anything, I was sold the image of a perfect life. Their eyes would see me, their hands would hold me, and their hearts would feel me. I was part of this world plagued with dreams. As the seasons changed so did I, but not in the same way as everyone else. They were growing so tall and confident creating a dense forest of peers, so why was I alone in a field barely holding myself up? It wasn't until we all started falling in love that I realized why I have planted away from everyone else.

I never even knew there was a word for what I was. People would call me bad words every day, but it wasn't until I found out what my difference was called, that I realized what those bad words really meant. I grew a thick skin and continued living with the illusion that I was still allowed to dream in this world. It didn't make sense that the thicker I had to grow my skin, the more invisible I became. The eyes I used to look into saw through me, the hands that used to hold me fell flat, and the hearts I used to connect with have stopped beating for me. I wasn't part of this world anymore.

The list of things I would never become became bigger than all the possibilities. Every dream I tried to hold close to me was cut down with a sword. I became a ghost in my flesh. I wasn't completely invisible at first, sometimes they'd see me and make me feel like I was here. Then they would find out what I was and I'd see their eyes gloss through me again. Eventually, not even that trick would work on me. Because I couldn't even see myself in the mirror anymore. I was gone. Even when my best-friends would tell me they still loved me they'd look right through me. They would never be able to know how it truly feels or would notice the small ways that even they would not see me.

I continued floating around haunting this world watching from the back what the world does to people like me. People that felt we weren't apart of this planet and should be erased. The worst part was being invisible and feeling this intense pain every day was the luckiest of the pain other people like me feel. I watched what happens to the others that were seen by the world but not in the way we wished for. No matter how transparent I am I have to keep going on for reasons I guess I don't know myself. Sometimes I'm selfish though and still spend some days laying in the dark staring at my roof only sitting up to look out the window and see the world that isn't mine. I know it's too late for me to be anything, and it's too late to become visible again, but if even for a moment I'm allowed to have one more dream, I think I'd like to be able to smile again.

stranger in a strange world
Example

First name: Kyler
Likes received: 435

Unread postby MCarr » 1st August, 2017, 4:57 pm

[Reveal] Spoiler:
He looked through the window. The big city, spread before his eyes; it wasn't like it used to be. Coming from a small community in the heart of England made him look at the city as an almost magical place. But not anymore. This was different. The buildings were rough and threatening, the glass reflected the life in the giant's feet, people walked by as if they were the only souls present. They were too worried about themselves to look at the kid that lost his mother, crying among shifting shadows and too worried to help the woman who searched for her glasses on the floor, already crushed by the feet of the oblivious. Life moved on individually.

Scratches of water painted the window, waking him from his trance. Below, people opened their umbrellas.

He went to the balcony and gazed at the garden she had made for him. The flowers had lost almost all their petals and the leaves were dry. The once green and vibrant oasis in the city withered and died.

That was where they went to talk when the times were hard yet looking back they were good. Where he proposed to her and where she had said the so relieving "yes". Where in stressful days they could relax and distract themselves from the daily rush. That place had witnessed what seemed like a lifetime.

He sat down in the parapet. She used to do that when she was pensive, looking at the sunset. "What a shame" he thought, seeing the dark clouds above.

By now he was soaking wet. He raised his head and looked at the concrete forest, lowered it and looked at the people, only to raise it again and see glimpses of light between the fading rain. He gave away a slight smile and murmured "I'm such a cliché". In his head he knew this wasn’t what she wanted, but his heart spoke louder. He took a last breath of the cold November air, looked back to a broken life and jumped.

"I hate the word homophobia. It's not a phobia. You are not scared. You are an asshole"

MCarr
I won a bet with Kaspar

First name: Miguel
Likes received: 160

Unread postby Kaspar » 1st August, 2017, 6:07 pm

The title of the story is "And now it's only dark again", and it's here. The theme is "Stranger in a strange world".

Now, in order to perceive it correctly, I would recommend listening to this soundtrack here in the background while reading, just not too loud :) Take your time, I hope you like it :rip:

Last edited by Kaspar on 1st August, 2017, 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proudly, the Captain of team Spirited Away
House Cup 2017

mattyk wrote:You are indeed all-round 100% certified awesome!

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar
The Kind Moderator / Lochlan's cat enthusiast

First name: Kacper
Likes received: 359

Next

Recently active