Romanticised Mental Illness in Social Media & Modern Day

A forum for respectful discussion & exchange of views on news, current affairs & thought-provoking topics; please read and be aware of the guidelines prior to posting.

Forum rules

Welcome to the News, Current Affairs & Debate subforum.

This forum is the place for intellectual discussions relating to news, current affairs, or philosophical & scientific debates. There are some guidelines that apply specifically to posts in this forum, of which you will be expected to have made yourself aware before participating. They are as follows:

• Intellectually stimulating topics only. If you can't have a deep discussion about something, it does not belong here.
  • If you're going to post, have something to say. When you make a new thread, write the initial post in a way that provides an introduction to the topic and invites further discussion. You could tell us how you feel and why, but always aim for constructive responses that further a discussion about the ideas involved, rather than a simple list of people's views. (Instead of asking "Are you a vegetarian?", discuss some of the arguments involved.) This guideline likewise applies for responses to topics.
  • Write using good English. That means full sentences with proper capitalisation, punctuation, spelling and grammar. No one is perfect, though; this is not an invitation to criticise others for minor mistakes.
  • Be nice. This is a forum for rational discourse, not flame wars. No one is always right. Be respectful of other people's views and accept that we are all entitled to our own.

These guidelines will be enforced by the moderators based on their best judgement, and anyone who does not take them seriously will lose the privilege of posting here. Spammers will be banned from the entire forum.

Romanticised Mental Illness in Social Media & Modern Day

Unread postby Shayla » 25th May, 2018, 8:03 am

Romantacised mental illness seems to be a more popular topic than it needs to be, so let me give you the short story.

For those unaware, romantacised mental illness is when somebody takes the name of a proper issue and makes it seem appealing. For example; depression, and writing it up as something poetic or deep. Depression isn't hooded lids and deep black clothing; it's a serious problem that needs to be looked at, nurtured and helped to heal.

In extreme cases, acts like these justify suicide.

Say there's somebody you know and love with a knife to their neck. Media and the promotion of mental illnesses being something to be romanticised, in my opinion, is about the equivalent of going up to the person and saying "suicide is beautiful".

As you can probably tell, I'm boycotting 13RW S2 because of all I've heard that's been put into it.

Of course my opinions on romantacised mental illness in social media is that it's contributing to the massive suicide epidemic that's growing by the day.

It'd be interesting to hear yours :D
Certified Mother
Shayla
Certified Vajina Fan

First name: Shayla
Likes received: 60

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Team: Odd Squad

Re: Romanticised Mental Illness in Social Media & Modern Day

Unread postby GerryMarpe » 25th May, 2018, 11:24 am

I totally agree with you. I was actually speaking about this with some friends a few days ago, it seems like nowadays not just mental illness but all sorts of toxic friendships/relationships and unhealthy habits and thoughts have been idealised and turned into "the new cool". Mental illnesses are romantic, toxic relationships are pop songs material to sing about over and over not like something negative but like something you're sad it's over bc being jealous of one another is relationships goals. It's gotten to a point where humour consists of mostly self-deprecating jokes and saying you look good rather than you're trash is being a narcissist.

It's like we went from the really unhealthy "coolness" standards of trying to be the absolute best and completely perfect and healthy to just trying to be as mentally unhealthy as we can bc that's what's in rn (it's everywhere from tv series to songs, films or social media, even the way we communicate with one another, e.g.: bringing ourselves down to compliment someone's looks instead of just complimenting them without being unnecessary mean to ourselves).

I'm not saying we should go back to the days of trying to achieve perfection and being a 2018 version of Narcissus but what we have today is just as unhealthy as what we had before, plus this way of thinking is probably quite responsible for the huge amount of mental illness problems that people from younger generations are suffering (I mean, iirc millennials are the generation with the biggest percentage of people that are suffering from a mental illness) which is obviously related to the "massive suicide epidemic" that you mentioned.
GerryMarpe

Likes received: 1

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Dolly » 25th May, 2018, 12:54 pm

noah fence but its mostly kids in ur generation that pretend to have problems just cuz u might get a lil stressed over an exam or speaking in front of a large audience

plus, it's kinda retarded to boycott 13RW cuz virtually all of the episodes have trigger warnings and provide information for at-risk ppl
Dolly
hotty & country singer

Likes received: 851

:
Tier II
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby Shayla » 25th May, 2018, 1:15 pm

Ok yes @ dolly I entirely agree with your first point, that's also another thing happening because of all this justification of mental illness n yada yada.

Although with the whole 13RW, I understand it's not my show I didn't direct it and people still enjoyed it but that doesn't make what they chose to put in there appropriate. Such graphic events aren't the kind of things that should be promoted through media, hence the whole thread and the topic goes full circle. It was just a genuinely disgusting move tbh
Certified Mother
Shayla
Certified Vajina Fan

First name: Shayla
Likes received: 60

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Team: Odd Squad

Unread postby KrisCross » 26th May, 2018, 9:03 pm

Tbh there's a whole culture around it on the internet these days, even in memes and jokes. I mean I love me some self-deprecating humor, but it's quite bad to joke about wanting to die 24/7 when you're actually depressed.

That said, I haven't seen 13RW, but I fully disagree with the notion that certain things can be considered 'too far' or inappropriate for TV-shows, movies or any form of media/art, given that it comes with the proper warnings. Graphic depictions aren't necessarily 'promoting' anything, a director should have artistic freedom.
KrisCross
Belgian Daddy

Likes received: 424

:
Tier II
Progress to next tier:
1 / 7

Team: Cheer Team

Unread postby Dua Lipa » 26th May, 2018, 9:25 pm

13rw is literally the opposite of romanticising mental illness or promoting it. The entire agenda of the show is pushing an anti-bullying campaign and showing how people's actions have consequences and even on the suicide itself they focus heavily on how badly it affects her family and friends. It kind of sounds like you've read one of those angry triggered comments on Facebook and made a decision without even knowing what goes on in the show. That being said yes in our culture people seem to think being depressed or having mental illness is cool or use it to garner sympathy, you just have to look in the Discord at any given time and someone will be saying their life sucks and they want to die or a new member will join and be like 'im nyanowobob and i have depression, anxiety' & whatever other mental illness they think it's fashionable to list.
Twink enthusiast

ImageImage

ImageImage
Dua Lipa
Actually Heterosexual

First name: Ethan
Likes received: 832

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
4 / 7

Unread postby Petre » 27th May, 2018, 12:17 pm

The whole point of "Thirteen Reasons Why" isn't to promote suicide, it's to raise awareness. Literally Robin Williams's suicide was more of a risk to the public because suicides in the US increased 10% in the months following his suicide.
If people don't want to see the graphics, then read the book (which is, by far, way better than the show. It was so interesting that I read the thing in a few hours). There are ways around this stuff.
Henry Clay compromised the being of the United States.
"The most towny, the most helpful, the best cooperative scum" (Kaspar, Mafia XXXIII): Image
Petre
Mafia A Rank

First name: Peter
Likes received: 163

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
4 / 7

Team: Nerd Herd

Mafia A Rank

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 27th May, 2018, 11:47 pm

I haven't watched 13RW because it really doesn't interest me. But from my understanding it doesn't romanticise mental health or suicide because of the way it portrays them as brutal and horrible, to such an extent that it has required disclaimers.
House Cup 2016 - Team Westeros
House Cup 2017 - Team Lion King
Year Cup 2017/18 - The Far East

TheBrunswickian
Lazarus

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 590

:
Tier III
Progress to next tier:
3 / 14

Recently active