Public Shootings: What needs to be done?

A forum for respectful discussion & exchange of views on news, current affairs & thought-provoking topics; please read and be aware of the guidelines prior to posting.

Forum rules

Welcome to the News, Current Affairs & Debate subforum.

This forum is the place for intellectual discussions relating to news, current affairs, or philosophical & scientific debates. There are some guidelines that apply specifically to posts in this forum, of which you will be expected to have made yourself aware before participating. They are as follows:

• Intellectually stimulating topics only. If you can't have a deep discussion about something, it does not belong here.
  • If you're going to post, have something to say. When you make a new thread, write the initial post in a way that provides an introduction to the topic and invites further discussion. You could tell us how you feel and why, but always aim for constructive responses that further a discussion about the ideas involved, rather than a simple list of people's views. (Instead of asking "Are you a vegetarian?", discuss some of the arguments involved.) This guideline likewise applies for responses to topics.
  • Write using good English. That means full sentences with proper capitalisation, punctuation, spelling and grammar. No one is perfect, though; this is not an invitation to criticise others for minor mistakes.
  • Be nice. This is a forum for rational discourse, not flame wars. No one is always right. Be respectful of other people's views and accept that we are all entitled to our own.

These guidelines will be enforced by the moderators based on their best judgement, and anyone who does not take them seriously will lose the privilege of posting here. Spammers will be banned from the entire forum.

Re: Public Shootings: What needs to be done?

Unread postby sylveon » 29th May, 2018, 6:06 am

ban guns. all together. countries without guns have no school shootings (uk). simple as that. america can talk to me when they learn some common sense. "bawww, guns are part of our culture!" seriously? then what does that say about your culture?
sylveon

First name: nya
Likes received: 16

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Team: Nerd Herd

Unread postby CRUSTY SEA MILF » 29th May, 2018, 9:00 am

It's not that easy to just outright ban guns in America. You have to remember that we have an entire Amendment to our constitution based upon it, and amending it further to prohibit guns would be extremely difficult, if not impossible - especially given the composition of our govt atm. Also responsible gun use can and should be exercised (some people here still hunt and use guns for wildlife management and defending their property)
ImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
CRUSTY SEA MILF wrote:You the right boob to my left, the peanut butter to my jelly, the Donald to my Melania, the Trisha Paytas to my 5 pounds of salami
CRUSTY SEA MILF
Egregious Infundibular

First name: Brennan/wolbre4
Likes received: 422

Activity levelBased on posting activity in the past two weeks. Tier IV and above grant custom name colours in Discord.
:
Tier II
Progress to next tier:
3 / 7

Unread postby Lochlan » 29th May, 2018, 7:18 pm

Tbf Bren, Ireland just had an amendment to their constitution (idk if thats the right name) to make abortions legal. If it can happen there, it can happen in the US, although I imagine it will be in 10, 20, 30+ years. I will solidly maintain that a system similar to the one we have in place here in the UK would be ideal.
Nerd Herd Team Captain
Click Icon For Nerd Herd Points Breakdown

Lochlan
BOT Hunter

First name: Lochlan
Likes received: 292

:
Tier II
Progress to next tier:
5 / 7

Unread postby Dolly » 29th May, 2018, 8:10 pm

sylveon wrote:ban guns. all together. countries without guns have no school shootings (uk). simple as that. america can talk to me when they learn some common sense. "bawww, guns are part of our culture!" seriously? then what does that say about your culture?

Oh? Americans use guns to hunt, shoot recreationally, and for self-defense... Why is London's murder rate higher than that of New York's? Why does it seem like there's an Islamic terrorist attack almost every day in Europe?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/london-mur ... gun-crime/
https://www.europol.europa.eu/newsroom/ ... ctims-died
Dolly
hotty & country singer

Likes received: 851

:
Tier II
Progress to next tier:
0 / 7

Unread postby CRUSTY SEA MILF » 29th May, 2018, 9:40 pm

Lochlan wrote:Tbf Bren, Ireland just had an amendment to their constitution (idk if thats the right name) to make abortions legal. If it can happen there, it can happen in the US, although I imagine it will be in 10, 20, 30+ years. I will solidly maintain that a system similar to the one we have in place here in the UK would be ideal.

Sure it is possible that it could happen, but with the current composition of the house and senate, it's essentially not going to happen. Additionally, it's important to remember that cutting off the second amendment is not an easy thing. Something that has been a part of our country for centuries (you could say the same about slavery, but there is nothing morally wrong about owning a gun) is VERY hard to suddenly end like this. It's easier to give rights than take them away
ImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
CRUSTY SEA MILF wrote:You the right boob to my left, the peanut butter to my jelly, the Donald to my Melania, the Trisha Paytas to my 5 pounds of salami
CRUSTY SEA MILF
Egregious Infundibular

First name: Brennan/wolbre4
Likes received: 422

:
Tier II
Progress to next tier:
3 / 7

Unread postby Lochlan » 30th May, 2018, 6:34 am

Dolly wrote:
sylveon wrote:ban guns. all together. countries without guns have no school shootings (uk). simple as that. america can talk to me when they learn some common sense. "bawww, guns are part of our culture!" seriously? then what does that say about your culture?

Oh? Americans use guns to hunt, shoot recreationally, and for self-defense... Why is London's murder rate higher than that of New York's? Why does it seem like there's an Islamic terrorist attack almost every day in Europe?

Okay, so you found statistics that prove that the rate of homicides in London is higher than New York for the first time ever. Fair, What I can't understand is why you pulled this bs out when Sylveon was talking about school shootings. I don't see the connection. Also, congrats, 142 failed, foiled and completed terrorist attacks, across 8 different countries, is almost every day now. Again I can't see why this is a relevant point to bring it. It looks like you're trying to divert attention or something :P
Nerd Herd Team Captain
Click Icon For Nerd Herd Points Breakdown

Lochlan
BOT Hunter

First name: Lochlan
Likes received: 292

:
Tier II
Progress to next tier:
5 / 7

Unread postby devedani » 14th June, 2018, 6:35 pm

In my opinion background checks are the best option, however if you want to buy a a gun, you'd want it stat. Wouldn't a background check take a while..? Also, my parents thought that teachers should be armed. But what if the teachers shoot up the school? This really is a tricky question to find a solution to.
ig: ffsdani sc: bit.ly/vensnap vsco: https://vsco.co/venfae/images/1
devedani

First name: Dani
Likes received: 2

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
3 / 7

Unread postby Petre » 14th June, 2018, 8:02 pm

Okay, I'm going to make this clear—not just for you, but for everyone who thinks the answer is just to "ban guns. all together."
It is impossible to ban guns in the United States, not to mention unconstitutional, something we Americans take very seriously. Guns are common in America, and having common things banned doesn't work here in the US.

Take, for example, the "noble experiment" that the American people undertook with the 18th Amendment to ban alcohol in the nation, so as to become a better society. Look at the following chart:

That is the alcohol consumption in the United States from 1910-1929. Now, I'm assuming you don't know you US history, and I'm not saying that in a bad way (you're not from the country, nor live in it, so I don't expect you to know), but the Volstead Act (the name for the 18th Amendment) was passed in 1919, and went into effect in 1920. In case you're wondering about the decrease in consumption before the Amendment was passed, that is because many states had begun banning alcohol before it became national law. However, I'm sure you also notice the sharp upswing in consumption between 1921 and 1922. This is because of the side effect of the Volstead Act: an increase in organized crime. Organized crime became rampant, by the way. Anyway, before I get too off topic, this Amendment was repealed in 13 years, the shortest lived in US history.

Now, imagine the increase in organized crimes if guns were banned. America has a problem with incarceration, and we could do without having more people in jail. The main point I am trying to get at with all that chatter and the chart is that a ban on guns will not stop people from getting their hands on guns—they'll just do it illegally.

But let's forget all that for a second, and pretend we did ban guns. Just how, exactly, in any possible way, could you confiscate every gun in the whole country. Keep in mind that as of summer 2017, about 30% of Americans owned guns, or about 97,715,753 people. Another 36% said they could see themselves owning a gun in the future (http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2017/06/ ... ownership/). So, logically speaking, how could it be done?

I'm gonna stop here, without getting into talks about the Second Amendment and District of Columbia v. Heller or the attempt you made to discredit both Americans' common sense and culture. Just because you don't understand or see it does not mean others don't as well. I will add, though, that "countries without guns have no school shootings (uk). simple as that." is a complete logical fallacy (Begging the Question/Circular Reasoning. You cannot just tell someone something and expect them to believe it without at least some proof.). Anyway, hope you enjoyed my little rant. Feel free to respond and answer my question on how to confiscate millions of people's guns :)
Henry Clay compromised the being of the United States.
"The most towny, the most helpful, the best cooperative scum" (Kaspar, Mafia XXXIII): Image
Petre
Mafia A Rank

First name: Peter
Likes received: 163

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
4 / 7

Mafia A Rank

Unread postby Petre » 14th June, 2018, 8:06 pm

Lochlan wrote:
Dolly wrote:

Okay, so you found statistics that prove that the rate of homicides in London is higher than New York for the first time ever. Fair, What I can't understand is why you pulled this bs out when Sylveon was talking about school shootings. I don't see the connection. Also, congrats, 142 failed, foiled and completed terrorist attacks, across 8 different countries, is almost every day now. Again I can't see why this is a relevant point to bring it. It looks like you're trying to divert attention or something :P

I believe what Dolly is getting at is that Sylveon only sees guns as used in school shootings, and nothing else. By her logic, knives are used in stabbings, so we should stab guns and ignore the other things they're used for.

But that's just how I'm seeing it. Maybe I'm wrong.
Henry Clay compromised the being of the United States.
"The most towny, the most helpful, the best cooperative scum" (Kaspar, Mafia XXXIII): Image
Petre
Mafia A Rank

First name: Peter
Likes received: 163

:
Tier I
Progress to next tier:
4 / 7

Mafia A Rank

Previous

Recently active