Adding Black and Brown To The Pride Flag?

A forum for respectful discussion & exchange of views on news, current affairs & thought-provoking topics; please read and be aware of the guidelines prior to posting.

Forum rules

Welcome to the News, Current Affairs & Debate subforum.

This forum is the place for intellectual discussions relating to news, current affairs, or philosophical & scientific debates. There are some guidelines that apply specifically to posts in this forum, of which you will be expected to have made yourself aware before participating. They are as follows:

• Intellectually stimulating topics only. If you can't have a deep discussion about something, it does not belong here.
  • If you're going to post, have something to say. When you make a new thread, write the initial post in a way that provides an introduction to the topic and invites further discussion. You could tell us how you feel and why, but always aim for constructive responses that further a discussion about the ideas involved, rather than a simple list of people's views. (Instead of asking "Are you a vegetarian?", discuss some of the arguments involved.) This guideline likewise applies for responses to topics.
  • Write using good English. That means full sentences with proper capitalisation, punctuation, spelling and grammar. No one is perfect, though; this is not an invitation to criticise others for minor mistakes.
  • Be nice. This is a forum for rational discourse, not flame wars. No one is always right. Be respectful of other people's views and accept that we are all entitled to our own.

These guidelines will be enforced by the moderators based on their best judgement, and anyone who does not take them seriously will lose the privilege of posting here. Spammers will be banned from the entire forum.

Adding Black and Brown To The Pride Flag?

Unread postby Wayde » 12th September, 2017, 2:18 pm

It came to my attention today that a "redesigned pride flag" was unveiled at a Pride March in Philadelphia earlier this year. Here is an article you can read about it:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/13/health/ne ... index.html

Personally, I think that this is complete and utter bullshit. The pride flag represents gender and sexuality identities, not race. Race doesn't have anything to do with the Pride flag, nor should it. Now, if there was like a white stripe representing white people or something, then this should definitely be added, BUT THERE IS'NT! This redesign makes absolutely no sense and honestly makes me kind of mad.

Each stripe on the pride flag already has a specific meaning:

Race shouldn't be a part of this flag because it simply makes no sense. When I wave a pride flag its because I'm gay and want to feel proud of that. It's inclusive to everyone of all genders, orientations, sexualities, and races. Adding black and brown just brings race into it completely unnecessarily. In fact, it actually makes it a bit racist towards anyone of any other race: whether that be Asian, White, Native American, etc. The pride flag isn't about race, nor should it be.

This video sums up a lot of how I feel about this redesign:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tm7vcrySwY

But I want to hear your opinions on this. What do you guys think?
Wayde
A Witty User Title™

First name: Wayde
Likes received: 17

Team: The Far East

Re: Adding Black and Brown To The Pride Flag?

Unread postby boiii » 12th September, 2017, 2:45 pm

I actually believe that we should all burn the current gay flags that we have and adopt the flag of Islamic State.
Image Image

ImageImage

Winner of the best friendship award together with Kaspar ^.^ and also that other one we don't talk about.
boiii
oh shit waddup

First name: Kamiel
Likes received: 202

Unread postby Pity » 12th September, 2017, 2:54 pm

boiii wrote:I actually believe that we should all burn the current gay flags that we have and adopt the flag of Islamic State.

How about the flag of Kekistan?

OT: I agree with your take. The flag is supposed to represent sexuality and gender identity, and by design, be inclusive to everyone.
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

First name: Marcus
Likes received: 491

Team: The Wild West

Unread postby Kaspar » 12th September, 2017, 3:02 pm

So the colours on the flag actually each had a meaning! I'm shook honestly D: I thought it was just a rainbow... because it's a rainbow.
But honestly, if people want to add colours, take colours, change colours, it doesn't really matter to me as long as the flag itself represents what they believe and themselves :)
Proudly, the Captain of team Spirited Away
House Cup 2017

mattyk wrote:You are indeed all-round 100% certified awesome!

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar
The Kind Moderator / Lochlan's cat enthusiast

First name: Kacper
Likes received: 365

Unread postby Woollyhoolly » 12th September, 2017, 3:29 pm

that new flag looked kinda ugly tho
Made you look

Trudeau's my daddy
Woollyhoolly

First name: Tim
Likes received: 9

Unread postby Zombix » 12th September, 2017, 4:20 pm

Im actually all about the black and brown on the pride flag. I mean, its not like it was gonna take over the old one, and it was created in a specific context of racial discrimination on the gay community. The inclusion of black and brow doesn't exclude the white folks just as black lives matter doesn't mean white lives don't, its a reaffirmation of something that should be obvious but it isnt, that poc are welcome on the gay community. also this video sum pretty well my opinion on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKocMzRy0rs (it starts at 1:30)
Last edited by Zombix on 12th September, 2017, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zombix

Likes received: 2

Unread postby (un)creative » 12th September, 2017, 4:26 pm

I think the new flat is crap. The LGBT and race are two different things. The Flag stands for the different identities. I don't think that these things should be mixed together.
(Also brown and black aren't colors of the rainbow and black isn't a color at all. It's the opposite of color... Adding these things just doesn't look good and Kinda ruins the rainbow theme of the flat. )
(un)creative

First name: André
Likes received: 17

Unread postby Lochlan » 12th September, 2017, 4:45 pm

Maybe a better idea though would have just been to run a campaign generally about ethnic minorities in the gay community rather than to completely change a flag that a lot of people stood for. The flag stands for LGBT people generally, regardless of ethnicity, but I wouldn't object to a flag for general ethnic minorities who are LGBT, although that is just piling minorities on other minorities.
I'll find some real nice thing for my signature one day..
Lochlan

First name: Lochlan
Likes received: 46

Team: The Wild West

Unread postby Zombix » 12th September, 2017, 4:55 pm

Lochlan wrote:Maybe a better idea though would have just been to run a campaign generally about ethnic minorities in the gay community rather than to completely change a flag that a lot of people stood for. The flag stands for LGBT people generally, regardless of ethnicity, but I wouldn't object to a flag for general ethnic minorities who are LGBT, although that is just piling minorities on other minorities.

I guess it is very important to do more to end racism on the lgbtq community, the flag wont do it, but it was never meant to replace the old one, was it? it was an attempt at aknowledging the issue and being openly inclusive...
Zombix

Likes received: 2

Unread postby Legolas » 13th September, 2017, 2:23 pm

I think the addition of black and brown to the flag was all in the spirit of inclusiveness and acceptance, which is what I love so much about the lgbt community. However, since the flag consists of the colours of the rainbow and is not related to race, it does seem a tad strange to see these colours being added, and this is coming from a brown guy. Nevertheless, although I might disagree, I'm more than happy to let other people interpret the flag their own way and take a positive message from it.
Legolas

Unread postby Togetik » 14th September, 2017, 12:17 am

I'm 99% sure the colours on the flag don't actually mean anything and vaguely remember a story about there being another colour on the original design that was left out because it made producing it more expensive, it's purely a symbol through the community it represents rather than the colours being meaningful

The black and brown stripes were there specifically to address racism in one community, it was never the intent to "replace" the current flag and only to bring very specific and targeted awareness. Given that intent, I don't really feel like this discussion means much since we're talking about things outside of their original context.

I'm all for the specific flag in being used in the context it was made for, but I don't really think the dark colours fit with the rest of the flag aesthetically
Togetik

Likes received: 81

Unread postby ColorGuardCrazy » 17th September, 2017, 9:08 am

It's the gay pride flag of Philly, it has its reasons.

"Philadelphia and its Pride campaign’s addition of two stripes to the rainbow flag comes amidst the city’s underlying problem with racial discrimination in its gay bars. As Eater reported on February, 11 gay bars and nightlife venues were recently required to take anti-racism training after complaints were made that the bars and clubs were discriminating against nonwhite patrons. One of the complaints involved iCandy Philadelphia owner Darryl DePiano, who was caught using the n-word on tape"

I don't really think that white people are being discriminated, it's just highlighting who is undergoing racism or any discrimination.

You wouldn't walk into a holocaust museum and ask, "Geez, why isn't [x] race represented...sheesh."
ImageImageImage
ColorGuardCrazy
Yankee Candle Enthusiast

First name: Luke

Unread postby ColorGuardCrazy » 17th September, 2017, 9:11 am

Togetik wrote:I'm 99% sure the colours on the flag don't actually mean anything and vaguely remember a story about there being another colour on the original design that was left out because it made producing it more expensive

yah pink dye was too expensive.
ImageImageImage
ColorGuardCrazy
Yankee Candle Enthusiast

First name: Luke

Unread postby Lightbringer » 11th October, 2017, 4:49 am

To my knowledge, white and black are considered mundane and therefore having all colors on the flag shows that LGBT is proud to be different. Also, the flag did have another color, but for the most part we don't see it anymore and its not a rainbow any longer. Vast majority of pride flags have SIX colors. Like this one:

Lightbringer

First name: Lucas
Likes received: 19

Recently active