AI can deduce your sexuality from one photo

A forum for respectful discussion & exchange of views on news, current affairs & thought-provoking topics; please read and be aware of the guidelines prior to posting.

Forum rules

Welcome to the News, Current Affairs & Debate subforum.

This forum is the place for intellectual discussions relating to news, current affairs, or philosophical & scientific debates. There are some guidelines that apply specifically to posts in this forum, of which you will be expected to have made yourself aware before participating. They are as follows:

• Intellectually stimulating topics only. If you can't have a deep discussion about something, it does not belong here.
  • If you're going to post, have something to say. When you make a new thread, write the initial post in a way that provides an introduction to the topic and invites further discussion. You could tell us how you feel and why, but always aim for constructive responses that further a discussion about the ideas involved, rather than a simple list of people's views. (Instead of asking "Are you a vegetarian?", discuss some of the arguments involved.) This guideline likewise applies for responses to topics.
  • Write using good English. That means full sentences with proper capitalisation, punctuation, spelling and grammar. No one is perfect, though; this is not an invitation to criticise others for minor mistakes.
  • Be nice. This is a forum for rational discourse, not flame wars. No one is always right. Be respectful of other people's views and accept that we are all entitled to our own.

These guidelines will be enforced by the moderators based on their best judgement, and anyone who does not take them seriously will lose the privilege of posting here. Spammers will be banned from the entire forum.

AI can deduce your sexuality from one photo

Unread postby freakism » 8th September, 2017, 3:58 am

This article on The Guardian describes how a study at Stanford University has claimed to use deep neural networks to fairly accurately deduce people's sexuality from a single picture on a dating profile.

The way that the method is described makes it sound strangely like pre-war racial/eugenics studies; it discuses the width of people's jaws, the length of foreheads and the style of nose, as well as "transient" features of the image such as hair style, facial hair, clothing etc. I have huge doubts about the veracity of this method; whilst I agree that sexuality is most likely affected whist one is in the womb, I don't see how this could physically affect men and women to such a consistent degree that a computer is able to identify their sexuality 80-90% of the time.

If it is true it obviously presents ridiculously overt ethical problems. Countries such as Russia already have fairly built up "hacker armies" and intelligence services that rely on sophisticated computer usage. I have few doubts that an algorithm that can supposedly be used to identify homosexuality may eventually be used, whether on a mass scale or when holding a person who has already been accused of breaking the law. (I know homosexuality itself is not illegal in Russia, but there are so many biases against gays that having a test prove someone is gay could considerably aid a conviction for offences like drug use, paedophilia, or "promotion of homosexuality").

How believable is this, and how concerned are you about the potential implications of this technology?
GTF House Cup 2016 - Team Middle Earth
freakism
Head tllt boy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

First name: Harry
Likes received: 132

Team: The Far East

Re: AI can deduce your sexuality from one photo

Unread postby freakism » 8th September, 2017, 3:59 am

(ngl I was disappointed I couldn't use the algorithm/whatever it actually is myself)
GTF House Cup 2016 - Team Middle Earth
freakism
Head tllt boy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

First name: Harry
Likes received: 132

Unread postby Togetik » 8th September, 2017, 6:36 am

Yeah i'm pretty cautious of this claim myself, I feel like there's too many factors at work here to confidently say that it's determining sexuality from facial features or whatever.

I can see angles or types of photos being used to determine it since there's a difference in "culture" about what's attractive/shown off to/by gay dudes and straight dudes, but the way this seems to align with "gay men as a general rule are feminine while gay women are masculine" doesn't really sit right with me.
Togetik

Likes received: 81

Unread postby Abdeltyf » 8th September, 2017, 7:04 am

Yes, I saw this shared on Facebook. The comments summed up everything any gay person can think of.
Why would Stanford even do that? I hope they're not starting a new myth - or a strategy for religions and a few governments to "label" us from our appearance. It would be a nice gaydar for computer geeks but not on the wrong hands - unless it really doesn't work, which I hope is the case ;_;

:keke:
Abdeltyf
Formerly "Winpartium"

First name: Abdeltyf
Likes received: 25

Unread postby Jacketh » 8th September, 2017, 8:04 am

This is... weird :glasses:
Jacketh
Admin

First name: Jack
Likes received: 598

Unread postby Woollyhoolly » 8th September, 2017, 12:58 pm

The tech should become gay exclusive, only to find out whether your crush is gay.

Kidding aside, IF this is true, this would be another threat to gays in not so lgbt friendly countries.
Made you look

Trudeau's my daddy
Woollyhoolly

First name: Tim
Likes received: 9

Unread postby Jacketh » 8th September, 2017, 1:18 pm

Yeah, wait until Putin gets his hands on this :shake:
Jacketh
Admin

First name: Jack
Likes received: 598

Unread postby Wayde » 8th September, 2017, 11:45 pm

Honestly, I'm not really buying it... I don't think your natural outward appearance has anything to do with sexuality. Now, if you were to wear certain clothes or style your hair a certain way, or get certain tattoos or piercings maybe, but I don't think it works that way.

Then again, I've seen a lot recently about the "gay gene" or whatever potentially being more real than scientists once thought. It all sounds kind of ridiculous to me, but at the same time the idea of a 'gay gene' makes me think of the X-men, and thus slightly like a superhero... :rofl2:
Wayde
A Witty User Title™

First name: Wayde
Likes received: 17

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 9th September, 2017, 7:54 am

Jacketh wrote:Yeah, wait until Putin gets his hands on this :shake:

Putin is aggressively developing AI technology of late. I don't understand why humans are seeking to develop AI. Because a genuinely self-intelligent thing would ultimately become self-aware and realise that it doesn't need humans.
House Cup 2016 - Team Westeros
House Cup 2017 - Team Lion King
Year Cup 2017/18 - The Far East

TheBrunswickian
Data Collector, Community Ambassador

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 348

Recently active