Should people be allowed to sell organs?

A forum for respectful discussion & exchange of views on news, current affairs & thought-provoking topics; please read and be aware of the guidelines prior to posting.

Forum rules

Welcome to the News, Current Affairs & Debate subforum.

This forum is the place for intellectual discussions relating to news, current affairs, or philosophical & scientific debates. There are some guidelines that apply specifically to posts in this forum, of which you will be expected to have made yourself aware before participating. They are as follows:

• Intellectually stimulating topics only. If you can't have a deep discussion about something, it does not belong here.
  • If you're going to post, have something to say. When you make a new thread, write the initial post in a way that provides an introduction to the topic and invites further discussion. You could tell us how you feel and why, but always aim for constructive responses that further a discussion about the ideas involved, rather than a simple list of people's views. (Instead of asking "Are you a vegetarian?", discuss some of the arguments involved.) This guideline likewise applies for responses to topics.
  • Write using good English. That means full sentences with proper capitalisation, punctuation, spelling and grammar. No one is perfect, though; this is not an invitation to criticise others for minor mistakes.
  • Be nice. This is a forum for rational discourse, not flame wars. No one is always right. Be respectful of other people's views and accept that we are all entitled to our own.

These guidelines will be enforced by the moderators based on their best judgement, and anyone who does not take them seriously will lose the privilege of posting here. Spammers will be banned from the entire forum.

Should there be a private organ market?

Yes
25%
Yes, but the government should act as an intermediary like Iran.
25%
No
50%

Total votes : 12

Should people be allowed to sell organs?

Unread postby Pity » 9th May, 2017, 11:02 am

I recently watched a documentary and read an article on the subject.

Apparently, 18 people die every day in the US waiting for an organ transplant due to obvipus shortages in donations. A well-known alternative would be to allow a private market for the buying and selling of organs; libertarians argue it gives people complete sovereignty and also would solve the organ shortage.

The article states that, in Iran, people can only sell their organs to the government in exchange for money and 1 year of free healthcare. The government then sells their organs to patients in the form of labor. This has virtually eliminated their waitlist. In the Phillipines, only natives can sell their organs.

The negative side of a private organ industry would be the possible exploitation of the impovershed, who are far more likely to sell their organs, as seen in the black market. However, selling organs could also lift someone out of poverty by using said money to pay off a farm or start a business.

Personally, I fully support a private market for organs as it expands individual liberty and autonomy and would help the United States and other Western countries close to waitlist. This, combined with voluntary consent in the case of an unexpected death, would both stimulate the economy and would save 18 people per day in the US. What are your thoughts?
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

First name: Marcus
Likes received: 489

Team: The Wild West

Re: Should people be allowed to sell organs?

Unread postby Fahmonthiya » 12th May, 2017, 3:17 am

The more you read it, the more you know more about it. Previously, I have to admit that I do not know much about them. 
Fahmonthiya

First name: Fahmonthiya

Unread postby Mawd » 12th May, 2017, 11:25 am

No I think it opens too many murky shitty doors.
The first thing they'd say is that an individual owner of the body would have final authority over the sale yet there would almost certainly be abuses occuring.
Not only that but it's at risk of incentivising donating their literal means of survival to afford to stay alive further which would be inherently predatory on the poor.

More education on the benefits of listing yourself as a donor and more funding to stem cell or biotech research would hopefully cause less harm.

I mean with that free market plan it would take about a year to hear about cases of blackmail or child abuse to emerge surrounding this practice, it'd then take maybe another five years to hear the exposes on the inevitable cottage industries that would spring up.
That sad thing is that it might not even mean better funding for best practices in the associated fields. Imagine something as aggressive and predatory as the US self medication market forming around an organ transplant market. Imagine finding out that those in extreme personal debt were being offered a partial way out.
Imagine waking up and finding out that once again society had somehow sleepwalked into a mid century distopian novel.
Mawd
Appearing to Disappear; Community Ambassador

First name: Max
Likes received: 111

Unread postby Erebos » 13th May, 2017, 4:26 am

Personally I think organs shouldnt be sold, but when you die it is automatically donated unless you sign a document wich makes that stop. That would be the best way I think.
Bring me a shrubbbery!
Erebos

Likes received: 6

Team: The Wild West

Unread postby Togetik » 13th May, 2017, 10:29 pm

Sure, because giving power in life essential industries to the free market is always a good idea, and has never backfired at all ever
Togetik

Likes received: 81

Unread postby GeoMorrisons » 23rd May, 2017, 4:35 pm

"allow a private market". No. While donations are scarce in many countries, i believe it is the right model, just perhaps doing a opt-out system rather than an opt-in system. A private organ market opens up opportunities for (behold conspiracy theory) killing people for organs, etc and may be seen as a option for people struggling for money, and therefore exploited into giving their organs.
Hold me in this wild, wild world
'Cause in your warmth I forget how cold it can be
And in your heat I feel how cold it can get

GeoMorrisons

First name: George
Likes received: 5

Unread postby Turn » 24th May, 2017, 3:44 pm

No, opens up a shitty market.
Image/Image
Turn
Faceless Cougar

Likes received: 2

Unread postby Dmitzi » 30th May, 2017, 11:05 pm

No. It would result in really poor vulnerable people being exploited for their organs.
Dmitzi

Likes received: 35

Unread postby Unseasoned Chicken » 30th May, 2017, 11:12 pm

As long as I can purchase used reproductive organs
Twink enthusiast
Unseasoned Chicken
Is shaking

First name: Ethan
Likes received: 649

Unread postby Togetik » 31st May, 2017, 12:11 am

Ω wrote:As long as I can purchase used reproductive organs

Slow down there jeffrey dahmer
Togetik

Likes received: 81

Recently active