Are we living in a simulation?

A forum for the respectful exchange of views on thought-provoking topics, whether sexuality-related or otherwise; please read the guidelines prior to posting.

Forum rules

Welcome to the Intellectual Discussion subforum.

This forum is the place for intellectual discussions, such as philosophical or scientific debates. There are some guidelines that apply specifically to posts in this forum, of which you will be expected to have made yourself aware before participating. They are as follows:

• Intellectually stimulating topics only. If you can't have a deep discussion about something, it does not belong here.
  • If you're going to post, have something to say. When you make a new thread, write the initial post in a way that provides an introduction to the topic and invites further discussion. You could tell us how you feel and why, but always aim for constructive responses that further a discussion about the ideas involved, rather than a simple list of people's views. (Instead of asking "Are you a vegetarian?", discuss some of the arguments involved.) This guideline likewise applies for responses to topics.
  • Write using good English. That means full sentences with proper capitalisation, punctuation, spelling and grammar. No one is perfect, though; this is not an invitation to criticise others for minor mistakes.
  • Be nice. This is a forum for rational discourse, not flame wars. No one is always right. Be respectful of other people's views and accept that we are all entitled to our own.

These guidelines will be enforced by the moderators based on their best judgement, and anyone who does not take them seriously will lose the privilege of posting here. Spammers will be banned from the entire forum.

Are we living in a simulation?

Unread postby Pity » 23rd March, 2017, 11:27 am

Billionaire tech giant Elon Musk believes that reality, as we know it it, is really a simulation created by an advanced artificial intelligence system. It seems plausible that another technologically-advanced species or future humans would be able to create hyper-realistic simulations to test diseases, natural disasters, physics theories, etc.

He explained this possibility by explaining that in the past 40 years, we have gone from archaic, single-player ping pong games to graphics-heavy, photorealistic games that can host millions of online players, so it could be possible.

Could it be that we are all part of a 10-year old's Sim's game?
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

First name: Marcus
Likes received: 477

Re: Are we living in a simulation?

Unread postby Vortex » 23rd March, 2017, 12:27 pm

Probably not, no.
ImageImageImage

Ebsy wrote:Leave it to losers on Twitter to complain about being pandered to. You're supposed to complain when someone panders to others, not to you.
[4:46 AM] Saint Drogo: Also, you've got a strangely appealing asshole. I'll give you that much.
[6:03 AM] Pity: Omg... stop making me sound like a racist idiot
[4:51 AM] Scherzy: jerk off to clinton in the safety of your own bedroom luv
[2:56 PM] Saint Drogo: Literally let me use my cock as a paintbrush and my unborn children as paint.
Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

First name: Da'Neil Boxley
Likes received: 258

Unread postby Anonymous Boy » 23rd March, 2017, 12:40 pm

Pity wrote:Could it be that we are all part of a 10-year old's Sim's game?

I feel like creating whole virtual universes with suffering beings in them would likely tend to be considered immoral if all the good it did was provide entertainment for a child. It seems more likely that we are in a simulation for purposes of scientific research.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Anonymous Boy
Owner/Administrator

First name: René
Likes received: 203

Unread postby Pity » 23rd March, 2017, 12:58 pm

Anonymous Boy wrote:

I feel like creating whole virtual universes with suffering beings in them would likely tend to be considered immoral if all the good it did was provide entertainment for a child. It seems more likely that we are in a simulation for purposes of scientific research.

Perhaps, but our current games are just as immoral, like GTA, Call of Duty, etc.
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

First name: Marcus
Likes received: 477

Unread postby Anonymous Boy » 23rd March, 2017, 1:00 pm

Pity wrote:
Anonymous Boy wrote:

Perhaps, but our current games are just as immoral, like GTA, Call of Duty, etc.

How so?
Anonymous Boy
Owner/Administrator

Unread postby Kaspar » 23rd March, 2017, 1:00 pm

Anonymous Boy wrote:

Would it be that immoral for it just to provide the entertainment? If we were a simulation then who would care really? It would be just a simulation. And who has never tried to kill off his character in Sims by making it drown?
Proudly, the Captain of team Spirited Away
House Cup 2017

mattyk wrote:You are indeed all-round 100% certified awesome!

ImageImage
ImageImage
Kaspar
The Kind Moderator / Lochlan's cat enthusiast

First name: Kacper
Likes received: 332

Unread postby JonathanT88 » 23rd March, 2017, 1:13 pm

Fucking sick-minded 10 year old.

(Also I see no way of either proving or disproving this idea. It's an interesting thought though.)
Gudrun wrote:

"How many times have I told you? Homosexuality is only to be used for revolutionary purposes!"

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImage
JonathanT88
Horny Jonathan of the Homosexual Intifada

First name: Jonathan (duh.)
Likes received: 391

Unread postby Knope » 23rd March, 2017, 1:17 pm

JonathanT88 wrote:Fucking sick-minded 10 year old.

(Also I see no way of either proving or disproving this idea. It's an interesting thought though.)

Exactly. It doesn't seem like this idea is falsifiable.
ImageImage
Knope
Westeros' Vice Captain
Popularité Third Place

Likes received: 84

Unread postby Anonymous Boy » 23rd March, 2017, 1:23 pm

Kaspar wrote:
Anonymous Boy wrote:

Would it be that immoral for it just to provide the entertainment? If we were a simulation then who would care really? It would be just a simulation. And who has never tried to kill off his character in Sims by making it drown?

Me, for a start. :P But that's beside the point.

The adults making the games would presumably have a concept of morality, and they would presumably realise that they're probably "just a simulation" too, which should give them pause. We've got to that point and we're nowhere near the level of technological sophistication required to physically simulate even one sentient being, let alone a whole universe with tonnes of them. Today's games obviously don't simulate brains or anything capable of experiencing pain.
Anonymous Boy
Owner/Administrator

Unread postby FirePhantom » 23rd March, 2017, 3:23 pm

Kaspar wrote:
Anonymous Boy wrote:

The Sims aren't sentient, self-aware entities who can suffer.

Where do you stack up amongst GTFers? Tell how tall you are here! Stand tall and tower over all? Or compare and despair?
FirePhantom
Valar Dohaeris

First name: Brenden
Likes received: 49

Unread postby Togetik » 24th March, 2017, 2:40 am

If so, it's a pretty sucky one
Togetik

Likes received: 79

Unread postby nickdesenlis » 26th March, 2017, 9:39 pm

Anonymous Boy wrote:
Kaspar wrote:
Anonymous Boy wrote:

The adults making the games would presumably have a concept of morality, and they would presumably realise that they're probably "just a simulation" too, which should give them pause. We've got to that point and we're nowhere near the level of technological sophistication required to physically simulate even one sentient being, let alone a whole universe with tonnes of them. Today's games obviously don't simulate brains or anything capable of experiencing pain.

You're assuming that the "adults" making the game are even human to begin with. If they're not then we have no clue if that species has the same conceptions of morality as we do. There is arguably the possibility a species could develop the technology to simulate an entire universe. Without going into the intricacies of such a debate, it can be said that such a thing is at the very least conceivable. However, as was said before this question is rather unable to be answered.
nickdesenlis

First name: Nick

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 26th March, 2017, 10:00 pm

Pity when did you become Alex Jones? Must be them chemtrails
House Cup 2016 - Team Westeros
House Cup 2017 - Team Lion King

TheBrunswickian
Data Collector, Community Ambassador

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 338

Unread postby nickdesenlis » 26th March, 2017, 10:35 pm

Ultimately the bigger questions this draws out are what is knowledge and what do humans know.
nickdesenlis

First name: Nick

Unread postby Anonymous Boy » 27th March, 2017, 5:21 am

nickdesenlis wrote:
Anonymous Boy wrote:
Kaspar wrote:
Anonymous Boy wrote:

You're assuming that the "adults" making the game are even human to begin with. If they're not then we have no clue if that species has the same conceptions of morality as we do. There is arguably the possibility a species could develop the technology to simulate an entire universe. Without going into the intricacies of such a debate, it can be said that such a thing is at the very least conceivable. However, as was said before this question is rather unable to be answered.

Please note that I was replying to the very limited case posed in the question:

The Sims series of games was created by humans to simulate human interactions for the entertainment of humans.

(Otherwise, my answer to the Could it be... question would have been a simple yes.)
Anonymous Boy
Owner/Administrator

Unread postby eb_horsecrazy » 31st March, 2017, 7:31 am

I would have to agree that there isn't a way to prove or disprove this theory, as with so many other theories similar to this. For instance, how could one go about proving anything beyond their own existence? How could one know that their reality is actually reality and not something their mind is creating out of boredom? Is there a way to prove that our waking hours are our lives and not our resting hours? Can you prove that dreams aren't reality? I must say, it could account for the fact that I can barely ever remember my dreams...

But back on the topic of us being in a simulation, I think this is a similar idea or theory to books like The Maze Runner, Divergent, in a way even Hunger Games. I would be very interested to see if there was anyone in the world who could completely disprove this possibility.
"Girls are like noodles... straight 'til you get them wet."
eb_horsecrazy

First name: Eliana

Unread postby Unshattered Illusion » 1st April, 2017, 11:04 pm

This is my interpretation to that:

Does it matter? Does it make anything you are going through feel less real? Would that impact your day to day interaction? My guess is no. I personally find that true reality is what you define it as.
ImageImageImage
Unshattered Illusion
It was a perfect illusion.

First name: Tristan
Likes received: 1

Recently active