Why do people like the Queen of England?

A forum for the respectful exchange of views on thought-provoking topics, whether sexuality-related or otherwise; please read the guidelines prior to posting.

Forum rules

Welcome to the Intellectual Discussion subforum.

This forum is the place for intellectual discussions, such as philosophical or scientific debates. There are some guidelines that apply specifically to posts in this forum, of which you will be expected to have made yourself aware before participating. They are as follows:

• Intellectually stimulating topics only. If you can't have a deep discussion about something, it does not belong here.
  • If you're going to post, have something to say. When you make a new thread, write the initial post in a way that provides an introduction to the topic and invites further discussion. You could tell us how you feel and why, but always aim for constructive responses that further a discussion about the ideas involved, rather than a simple list of people's views. (Instead of asking "Are you a vegetarian?", discuss some of the arguments involved.) This guideline likewise applies for responses to topics.
  • Write using good English. That means full sentences with proper capitalisation, punctuation, spelling and grammar. No one is perfect, though; this is not an invitation to criticise others for minor mistakes.
  • Be nice. This is a forum for rational discourse, not flame wars. No one is always right. Be respectful of other people's views and accept that we are all entitled to our own.

These guidelines will be enforced by the moderators based on their best judgement, and anyone who does not take them seriously will lose the privilege of posting here. Spammers will be banned from the entire forum.

Re: Why do people like the Queen of England?

Unread postby Sturgeon » 22nd March, 2017, 8:16 pm

Stark wrote:
Mawd wrote:Anyway she might have no direct political power but you can't tell me she doesn't put in a good word in someone's ear from time to time.

This is the best critique of monarchy I've read so far. Interestingly, the Queen is one of the first monarchs to completely step back from an active role and there's no reason to believe it'll continue when she dies. I think I've read of interviews with Charles where he's claimed he'll take more of an active role on things he's passionate about, like agriculture and environmental protection. It's a tricky situation because I think monarchical activism is the only thing that could persuade the Tories not to treat the environment like shit, but then a king influencing government isn't something I'm comfortable with.

I think you're getting ahead of yourself. I remember last year when HM was visiting Germany she made a speech at a Banquet in which she made very vague platitides about Europe and co-operating to ensure everlasting peace. Anyway, there was momentary blip in the media, outraged, believing that the Queen was taking a side on the EU debate (this was before the Sun leaked that 'Queen Backs Brexit' story). Bottom line: the sovereign is all too aware of it evovled place and will comply.
I think Charles will be perceptive enough to realise how big the crown he's going to be inheriting is and will act sensibly. I think he'd make a great monarch, given the chance, he's confirmed as being the most active royal in Europe, having the most appointments annually then any other, including the Queen. For the arts he'll be a much better patron than HM. I remember a David Starkey interview in the Guardian in which he was retelling a meeting between him and HM, and he was perplexed to find out that her interest in her royal predecessors feigned after her grandfather. Charles on the other hand, is known for being big on Royal history, famously known for stating that his favourite king was George III because he was painfully misunderstood and history was relentlessly unkind to him. Why do I get the feeling Charles will continue that legacy through no personal hamartia of his own? :err:
Steam
Image Image Image
"A fully equipped duke costs as much to keep up as two Dreadnoughts, and dukes are just as great a terror— and they last longer" - David Lloyd George
Sturgeon
Carbona Not Glue

First name: Sam
Likes received: 84

Unread postby Vortex » 22nd March, 2017, 8:35 pm

Oracle wrote:
Vortex wrote:
Oracle wrote:you have a rich woman who doesn't have to do anything who lives lavishly off of YOUR taxes!

Oracle wrote:Call me blasphemous, but if I ever meet the Queen, I'm not going to show any more deference than I would to any other old woman, and I am sure as hell not calling her "your majesty".

I hope her guards beat you.

*Ahem* Donald Trump isn't taking the presidential salary, so she isn't getting any of our money, it's her husband's. Even if she was doing nothing but living lavishly off of our taxes, there is a BIG difference.
Trump was ELECTED by the PEOPLE.
The Queen only has money because people are brainwashed to believe that it is her birthright.

tw: facts. Turns out, living in a gilded tower in Manhattan costs taxpayers quite a bit.
Also, you're basing him "donating his salary" entirely on him saying he would.

Also, yes, the people elected DONALD TRUMP. When they elected DONALD, the implication was that MELANIA would live in the White House, and not cost taxpayers MILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO LIVE IN A GODDAMN GILDED TOWER.
ImageImageImage

Ebsy wrote:Leave it to losers on Twitter to complain about being pandered to. You're supposed to complain when someone panders to others, not to you.
[4:46 AM] Saint Drogo: Also, you've got a strangely appealing asshole. I'll give you that much.
[6:03 AM] Pity: Omg... stop making me sound like a racist idiot
[4:51 AM] Scherzy: jerk off to clinton in the safety of your own bedroom luv
[2:56 PM] Saint Drogo: Literally let me use my cock as a paintbrush and my unborn children as paint.
Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

First name: Da'Neil Boxley
Likes received: 258

Unread postby JonathanT88 » 22nd March, 2017, 8:42 pm

When another GTF thread turns into a Trump debate...

Gudrun wrote:

"How many times have I told you? Homosexuality is only to be used for revolutionary purposes!"

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImage
JonathanT88
Horny Jonathan of the Homosexual Intifada

First name: Jonathan (duh.)
Likes received: 391

Unread postby Vortex » 22nd March, 2017, 8:47 pm

I'm sorry I accept full responsibility please don't not punish me.
ImageImageImage

Ebsy wrote:Leave it to losers on Twitter to complain about being pandered to. You're supposed to complain when someone panders to others, not to you.
[4:46 AM] Saint Drogo: Also, you've got a strangely appealing asshole. I'll give you that much.
[2:56 PM] Saint Drogo: Literally let me use my cock as a paintbrush and my unborn children as paint.
Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

Unread postby Stark » 22nd March, 2017, 8:50 pm

Vortex wrote:I'm sorry I accept full responsibility please don't not punish me.

You're fortunate you're outside HM's reach, colonial.

Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Stark
Yekaterina Petrovna Zamolodchikova

First name: Joe
Likes received: 159

Unread postby Vortex » 22nd March, 2017, 8:54 pm

wait actually...
ImageImageImage

Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

Unread postby Stark » 22nd March, 2017, 8:55 pm

Vortex wrote:wait actually...

That's A commonwealth, not THE commonwealth, headed by HM The Queen. You're just a hick wannabe.
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Stark
Yekaterina Petrovna Zamolodchikova

First name: Joe
Likes received: 159

Unread postby Vortex » 23rd March, 2017, 12:03 am

WOW RUDE
ImageImageImage

Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

Unread postby Vortex » 23rd March, 2017, 12:03 am

Ban Joe for triggering me.
ImageImageImage

Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

Previous

Recently active