Active topics
Unread | New posts
Your bookmarks
Your friends' posts
Your posts | Quotes
Welcome, CommonCrawl [Bot]!

It is currently 27th March, 2017, 6:41 am

Forum rules

Welcome to the Intellectual Discussion subforum.

This forum is the place for intellectual discussions, such as philosophical or scientific debates. There are some guidelines that apply specifically to posts in this forum, of which you will be expected to have made yourself aware before participating. They are as follows:

• Intellectually stimulating topics only. If you can't have a deep discussion about something, it does not belong here.
  • If you're going to post, have something to say. When you make a new thread, write the initial post in a way that provides an introduction to the topic and invites further discussion. You could tell us how you feel and why, but always aim for constructive responses that further a discussion about the ideas involved, rather than a simple list of people's views. (Instead of asking "Are you a vegetarian?", discuss some of the arguments involved.) This guideline likewise applies for responses to topics.
  • Write using good English. That means full sentences with proper capitalisation, punctuation, spelling and grammar. No one is perfect, though; this is not an invitation to criticise others for minor mistakes.
  • Be nice. This is a forum for rational discourse, not flame wars. No one is always right. Be respectful of other people's views and accept that we are all entitled to our own.

These guidelines will be enforced by the moderators based on their best judgement, and anyone who does not take them seriously will lose the privilege of posting here. Spammers will be banned from the entire forum.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
Unread postPosted: 14th March, 2017, 7:16 pm 

First name: George
Likes received: 3

It baffles me. This might turn into a rant, but hopefully it won't.

I want to use Brexit as an example. When 52% (near enough, 51.9% if you want to get pissy over it) of the people who voted in the EU referendum voted to leave, the people on the other side called people who voted to leave things along the lines of being racist and called for another referendum, claiming it was (essentially) rigged. I personally sit on the fence over whether it will be a benefit or a downfall.

It seems people who align with only one side of a agenda have a extremely strong bias towards it. They can't see it from another perspective, but really, every single side should be opened to criticism, rather than every being called libtards or racists. And Liberal and Conservative sides are both as bad as eachother.

And then there are actual racists and homophobes (and etc).

I.Just.Don't.Get.It
why?

Unread postPosted: 14th March, 2017, 7:30 pm 
hotty

First name: Danny
Likes received: 168

Team: Middle Earth
Unfortunately, many individuals insert feelings and emotions into political discussion, which can cause wild discourse. Because of this, it can sour friendships and create an uncomfortable situation as not everybody likes openly debating views.

Political chat should be encouraged to be and accepted as a normal conversation as it it important, but, unfortunately, not everyone sees it that way.

1 from GeoMorrisons

Unread postPosted: 14th March, 2017, 10:59 pm 
Valar Dohaeris

First name: Brenden
Likes received: 36

You may find these video essays illuminating. :)

2 from GeoMorrisons and scottnesss

Unread postPosted: 15th March, 2017, 8:59 am 
Jesslut, Community Ambassador

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 203

Team: Westeros
Well, politics is important in people's lives, and their values are important to them. In the defence of their ideals, people can become inflamed and aggressive. I am very passionately involved in politics, and I am an active member of the youth wing of the Australian Labor Party. I have learned to bite my tongue before a situation gets out of hand. I am better now at quickly identifying a debate or discourse that could go sour, I am better at surrendering when I am convinced I am defeated on a point. I can't blame people for being passionate about their politics, but they need to do it respectfully.

3 from GeoMorrisons, Dmitzi and Scherzy

Unread postPosted: 15th March, 2017, 9:39 am 
Scammed

People think that their ideologies are the ones most capable of shaping a perfect world. When your ideas are different to theirs, it threatens their idealism by way of implying a different outcome to the one they have dreamt of, and they get emotional in response. That's essentially it.

Unread postPosted: 15th March, 2017, 8:35 pm 

First name: G.
Likes received: 23

I'm 100% in agreement with you about the 'racist' label being used as an ad hominem way too frequently.
It cheapens the label. As a result of it being overused so much, genuinely racist people and groups, such as "White Nationalists', can now use that as an 'argument' when other people point out how blatantly racist they are.
"Libtard" is never appropriate in a genuine political debate. I can't think of any situation where it could be used to form a logical argument.
People expressing certain 'vile' views (such as racism) DO deserve to be hated as a person. Like, if someone said to me "I think the rich control too much" or "Brexit is a bad idea", I would disagree with them but I wouldn't hate them as a person. Hating someone for the latter just shows a high degree of immaturity. Whereas, if someone said to me "blacks are inherently inferior" or "the holocaust never happened", I would detest them and their views.

1 from GeoMorrisons

Unread postPosted: 18th March, 2017, 2:48 am 
Saint Drogo's mistress.

First name: Da'Neil Boxley
Likes received: 149

Team: Coruscant
Dmitzi wrote:
if someone said to me "blacks are inherently inferior" or "the holocaust never happened", I would detest them and their views.

:shifty:

1 from Dmitzi

Unread postPosted: 21st March, 2017, 3:29 am 

Likes received: 4

Because politics literally shapes the world; decisions made through politics affect every being on this planet, from humans to animals. There must be passion given these circumstances.

Unread postPosted: 21st March, 2017, 9:15 am 

Likes received: 53

PHMED wrote:
Because politics literally shapes the world; decisions made through politics affect every being on this planet, from humans to animals. There must be passion given these circumstances.

Basically this, politics are a pretty inherent part of a person's beliefs and opinions. Even if someone says they don't care about "politics" in the sense of politicians or whatever they're still going to vehemently hold true to, and defend, their political views.

Some people just have bad ones

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Time zone: America/New_York [ DST ]

Recently active