Classic Literature Discussion Thread

A forum for respectful discussion & exchange of views on news, current affairs & thought-provoking topics; please read and be aware of the guidelines prior to posting.

Forum rules

Welcome to the News, Current Affairs & Debate subforum.

This forum is the place for intellectual discussions relating to news, current affairs, or philosophical & scientific debates. There are some guidelines that apply specifically to posts in this forum, of which you will be expected to have made yourself aware before participating. They are as follows:

• Intellectually stimulating topics only. If you can't have a deep discussion about something, it does not belong here.
  • If you're going to post, have something to say. When you make a new thread, write the initial post in a way that provides an introduction to the topic and invites further discussion. You could tell us how you feel and why, but always aim for constructive responses that further a discussion about the ideas involved, rather than a simple list of people's views. (Instead of asking "Are you a vegetarian?", discuss some of the arguments involved.) This guideline likewise applies for responses to topics.
  • Write using good English. That means full sentences with proper capitalisation, punctuation, spelling and grammar. No one is perfect, though; this is not an invitation to criticise others for minor mistakes.
  • Be nice. This is a forum for rational discourse, not flame wars. No one is always right. Be respectful of other people's views and accept that we are all entitled to our own.

These guidelines will be enforced by the moderators based on their best judgement, and anyone who does not take them seriously will lose the privilege of posting here. Spammers will be banned from the entire forum.

Classic Literature Discussion Thread

Unread postby GaycrazyBoi » 1st February, 2017, 7:10 pm

Hello, all.

Apologies if this is in the wrong place.

So, I recently bought two books, one a Japanese cult classic "Battle Royale" and a German folk story/play "Faust". This got the ball rolling- what classifies something as classical literature? What IS classical literature? Does age play a part? All these are valid questions, so, let's discuss, shall we?

My favorite literary classic that nobody can argue against is "Sherlock Holmes". Why? It's old enough to be recognizable. It's modern adaptations make it worth a view and then a read. It's relevant. It's immersive. It's awe-inspiring, humbling, and interesting. You find yourself trying to solve the case with Sherlock.

But, does, say, Hunger Games count as classic? What about Fahrenheit 451? What makes something classical? What requirements does it have to meet?
GaycrazyBoi

First name: Nate
Likes received: 45

Team: The Wild West

Re: Classic Literature Discussion Thread

Unread postby Pity » 2nd February, 2017, 11:14 am

I don't read, especially classical literature. I did read the Great Gatsby and I did really enjoy that. If we're talking real classical, I read a bit of Dante's Inferno (from 1300s) and it was pretty decent.
Pity
hotty & disgraced member

First name: Marcus
Likes received: 489

Unread postby Hohenidoom » 2nd February, 2017, 12:19 pm

The devil in Faust (Methistopeles) is also the name of a 21.7 litre land speed record Fiat (146mph).
Fear God and Dread nought
Hohenidoom
dodgy 90s dance guy

Likes received: 49

Unread postby GaycrazyBoi » 2nd February, 2017, 3:57 pm

Pity wrote:I don't read, especially classical literature. I did read the Great Gatsby and I did really enjoy that. If we're talking real classical, I read a bit of Dante's Inferno (from 1300s) and it was pretty decent.

Never read that. Might order that one next, but 1984 is high on my priorities list.

Hohenidoom wrote:The devil in Faust (Methistopeles) is also the name of a 21.7 litre land speed record Fiat (146mph).

The relevance being...?
GaycrazyBoi

Unread postby Turn » 3rd February, 2017, 10:25 pm

Classical literature would constitute being a part of some canon, or rather an established publication considered a foundational contribution to some genre.
Image/Image
Turn
Faceless Cougar

Likes received: 2

Unread postby GaycrazyBoi » 3rd February, 2017, 10:33 pm

Turn wrote:Classical literature would constitute being a part of some canon, or rather an established publication considered a foundational contribution to some genre.

Can you rephrase that? I don't think I understand you.
GaycrazyBoi

Unread postby Turn » 3rd February, 2017, 10:56 pm

GaycrazyBoi wrote:
Turn wrote:Classical literature would constitute being a part of some canon, or rather an established publication considered a foundational contribution to some genre.

Can you rephrase that? I don't think I understand you.

:eli:
Image/Image
Turn
Faceless Cougar

Likes received: 2

Unread postby George » 5th February, 2017, 4:45 am

Art of War, Original Kafka, and The Handmaids Tale. The last isnt so old but its good none the less.
Image Hi, I'm George. Never met Me before? Image
George
Diaper Rash

First name: George
Likes received: 124

Team: The Far East

Member of the Month

Unread postby GaycrazyBoi » 5th February, 2017, 12:46 pm

George wrote:Art of War, Original Kafka, and The Handmaids Tale. The last isnt so old but its good none the less.

Does age have to be a factor in determining if it is "Classic"?
GaycrazyBoi

Recently active