A forum for respectful discussion & exchange of views on news, current affairs & thought-provoking topics; please read and be aware of the guidelines prior to posting.

Forum rules

Welcome to the News, Current Affairs & Debate subforum.

This forum is the place for intellectual discussions relating to news, current affairs, or philosophical & scientific debates. There are some guidelines that apply specifically to posts in this forum, of which you will be expected to have made yourself aware before participating. They are as follows:

• Intellectually stimulating topics only. If you can't have a deep discussion about something, it does not belong here.
  • If you're going to post, have something to say. When you make a new thread, write the initial post in a way that provides an introduction to the topic and invites further discussion. You could tell us how you feel and why, but always aim for constructive responses that further a discussion about the ideas involved, rather than a simple list of people's views. (Instead of asking "Are you a vegetarian?", discuss some of the arguments involved.) This guideline likewise applies for responses to topics.
  • Write using good English. That means full sentences with proper capitalisation, punctuation, spelling and grammar. No one is perfect, though; this is not an invitation to criticise others for minor mistakes.
  • Be nice. This is a forum for rational discourse, not flame wars. No one is always right. Be respectful of other people's views and accept that we are all entitled to our own.

These guidelines will be enforced by the moderators based on their best judgement, and anyone who does not take them seriously will lose the privilege of posting here. Spammers will be banned from the entire forum.

Who is the greatest President in history?

George Washington
45%
John Adams
5%
Thomas Jefferson
27%
James Madison
No votes
James Monroe
No votes
John Quincy Adams
No votes
Andrew Jackson
No votes
Martin Van Buren
No votes
William H Harrison
No votes
John Tyler
No votes
James K Polk
No votes
Zachary Taylor
No votes
Millard Fillmore
No votes
Franklin Pierce
No votes
James Buchanan
No votes
Abraham Lincoln
68%
Andrew Johnson
No votes
Ulysses S Grant
No votes
Rutherford B Hayes
No votes
James A Garfield
No votes
Chester A Arthur
No votes
Grover Cleveland
No votes
Benjamin Harrison
No votes
William McKinley
No votes
Theodore Roosevelt
18%
William H Taft
No votes
Woodrow Wilson
5%
Warren G Harding
No votes
Calvin Coolidge
No votes
Herbert Hoover
No votes
Franklin D Roosevelt
77%
Harry S Truman
5%
Dwight D Eisenhower
14%
John F Kennedy
9%
Lyndon B Johnson
23%
Richard Nixon
5%
Gerald Ford
No votes
Jimmy Carter
9%
Ronald Reagan
23%
George HW Bush
5%

Total votes : 74

Unread postby Isaac » 7th November, 2016, 7:49 am

Last edited by Isaac on 12th April, 2017, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isaac
Sarah Palin Enthusiast

First name: Isaac
Likes received: 25

Team: The Far East

Re: Who is the greatest President in US history?

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 7th November, 2016, 8:10 am

I only picked three, for different reasons:
1. Abraham Lincoln.
I think we all know why. He is one of the most famous figures in US history, and will likely be remembered as one of the all time greats. He led the US through the world's first industrial war, signed the Emancipation Proclamation and passed many pieces of legislation through Congress (sure because the Southerns weren't there but eh).
2. Franklin D. Roosevelt
Piggy-backing off the New Deal agenda started by Hoover, FDR revitalised the US economy after the Great Depression and saw America back to prosperity. A stalwart leader who will be remembered as the great wartime President, who was elected to four terms in office before his death. His dealings with Stalin could have laid the framework for a great cooperation between Washington and Moscow if Truman hadn't fucked it all up.
3. Ronald Reagan
While not a President whose politics I agree with, and his policies are very controversial, even to this day, Reagan was a man of the people. His charisma and leadership united the country behind him - famously picking up 49/50 states in 1984. He will be remembered as one of America's great leaders. We all know of those iconic photographs of Reagan with Gorbachev, or with Thatcher.
House Cup 2016 - Team Westeros
House Cup 2017 - Team Lion King
Year Cup 2017/18 - The Far East

TheBrunswickian
Data Collector, Community Ambassador

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 348

Unread postby Isaac » 7th November, 2016, 9:17 am

*Studying a degree*
*Cannot comprehend what 'choose your top five' means.*
Isaac
Sarah Palin Enthusiast

Unread postby Jacketh » 7th November, 2016, 9:29 am

If anyone says Bill Clinton I will find you and kill you
Jacketh
Admin

First name: Jack
Likes received: 598

Unread postby TheBrunswickian » 7th November, 2016, 9:31 am

Isaac wrote:*Studying a degree*
*Cannot comprehend what 'choose your top five' means.*

*is a rule-breaker*
*refuses to follow your conventions #fuckthegovernment*
House Cup 2016 - Team Westeros
House Cup 2017 - Team Lion King
Year Cup 2017/18 - The Far East

TheBrunswickian
Data Collector, Community Ambassador

First name: Jesse
Likes received: 348

Unread postby JonathanT88 » 7th November, 2016, 12:22 pm

1) Lincoln

2) Franklin D. Roosevelt

3) Thomas Jefferson - I think his presidency occurred in more different circumstances than Washington's, and he managed to overcome these problems effectively. Hence, I've included him on this list and not Washington, whose image is (understandably) inflated by the whole 'creation of the nation' thing.

4) Theodore Roosevelt- master diplomat (further establishment of US as World Power, relations with UK; let's just ignore his Philippine policy), prominent naturalist, charisma, press relations, etc.

5) Ronald Reagan - I hate Reaganomics, and I'm not really a fan of many things he did as president. However, I'll include him on this list for the same reason I included Thatcher on the last: charisma, leadership, cooperation with Gorbachev leading to the dismantlement of the Soviet Union.

My personal favourite president: Lyndon B. Johnson. He pursued a fairly liberal agenda in a beautifully corrupt way: a sleazy politician like Nixon with a (purported) social agenda like Franklin D. Roosevelt. He also absolutely slayed Goldwater in the 1964 election, despite the fact that the latter is widely considered one of the biggest figured in 20th century conservatism. Love him or hate him, you've got to find him interesting.

Also Isaac: Jimmy Carter? He was certainly bad but I'd be interested to hear what you think makes him worse than some of the other candidates . Certainly a better person than president, but what about some of the pre-Civil War failures (Buchanan, Pierce, etc.)?
Gudrun wrote:

"How many times have I told you? Homosexuality is only to be used for revolutionary purposes!"

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImage
JonathanT88
Horny Jonathan of the Homosexual Intifada

First name: Jonathan (duh.)
Likes received: 426

Team: The Wild West

Unread postby ConnorM » 7th November, 2016, 12:39 pm

1. Abraham Lincoln - For obvious reasons, the Great Emancipator earns the top spot on the list.

2. Franklin Delano Roosevelt - As the wartime president during the United States' most important war, and the longest serving president in US history (Winning 4 elections) FDR took the reigns during the Great Depression and led the US towards becoming the country it is today.

3. Dwight D. Eisenhower - An important military figure, Ike's policies also led the US through the most dangerous period of the cold war, ended the Korean war for the US without getting tangled into a full-scale war with China, and successfully retained the support and respect of the American people.

4. Theodore Roosevelt - The only non-wartime president on my list, Theodore Roosevelt deserves the attention not only for being an honest, hard working individual, but for his tremendous work in conservation and political reform. He is the one who broke the political machines like Tammany Hall, and who, for once, sent out the army to support the unions instead of the companies. For these reasons and others (He is the only president to have earned the Medal of Honor, and with his son, Theodore Roosevelt Jr., are the only father and son to have both earned the Medal of Honor.) he deserves inclusion on this list.

5. Lyndon B. Johnson - The Civil Rights Act ensured that Johnson would not see a third term (Which, because he had only served a year of JFK's term, he was entitled to) and further, it destroyed the Democratic Party as it was from the 1820's to 1968. His doing so represented the most important American political achievement of all time, and at the cost of his reelection and his own party's base, because it was the right thing to do, the kind of bravery in politics seldom seen in history.
ConnorM
Sir Conor the Incompetent

Likes received: 97

Unread postby Isaac » 7th November, 2016, 12:55 pm

JonathanT88 wrote:Also Isaac: Jimmy Carter? He was certainly bad but I'd be interested to hear what you think makes him worse than some of the other candidates . Certainly a better person than president, but what about some of the pre-Civil War failures (Buchanan, Pierce, etc.)?

I think the foreign policy damage he caused was detrimental; particularly in Iran.
Isaac
Sarah Palin Enthusiast

Unread postby Isaac » 7th November, 2016, 12:56 pm

ConnorM wrote:1. Abraham Lincoln - For obvious reasons, the Great Emancipator earns the top spot on the list.

2. Franklin Delano Roosevelt - As the wartime president during the United States' most important war, and the longest serving president in US history (Winning 4 elections) FDR took the reigns during the Great Depression and led the US towards becoming the country it is today.

3. Dwight D. Eisenhower - An important military figure, Ike's policies also led the US through the most dangerous period of the cold war, ended the Korean war for the US without getting tangled into a full-scale war with China, and successfully retained the support and respect of the American people.

4. Theodore Roosevelt - The only non-wartime president on my list, Theodore Roosevelt deserves the attention not only for being an honest, hard working individual, but for his tremendous work in conservation and political reform. He is the one who broke the political machines like Tammany Hall, and who, for once, sent out the army to support the unions instead of the companies. For these reasons and others (He is the only president to have earned the Medal of Honor, and with his son, Theodore Roosevelt Jr., are the only father and son to have both earned the Medal of Honor.) he deserves inclusion on this list.

5. Lyndon B. Johnson - The Civil Rights Act ensured that Johnson would not see a third term (Which, because he had only served a year of JFK's term, he was entitled to) and further, it destroyed the Democratic Party as it was from the 1820's to 1968. His doing so represented the most important American political achievement of all time, and at the cost of his reelection and his own party's base, because it was the right thing to do, the kind of bravery in politics seldom seen in history.

Teddy narrowly missed my list. Good shout.
Isaac
Sarah Palin Enthusiast

Unread postby JonathanT88 » 7th November, 2016, 1:13 pm

ConnorM wrote:5. Lyndon B. Johnson - The Civil Rights Act ensured that Johnson would not see a third term (Which, because he had only served a year of JFK's term, he was entitled to) and further, it destroyed the Democratic Party as it was from the 1820's to 1968. His doing so represented the most important American political achievement of all time, and at the cost of his reelection and his own party's base, because it was the right thing to do, the kind of bravery in politics seldom seen in history.

The Civil Rights Act was more significant than the passing of the Thirteenth Amendment? What about his terrible handling of Vietnam, or his undeniable brutishness and corruption? Like I said, he (alongside Nixon) is my favourite US president, but only because I enjoy reading about him. I just don't think you can evaluate someone's presidency based on a single merit, however significant the legislation was.

Oh, and Johnson almost did run in 1968, and would have if it were not for Secret Service concerns about his safety. And he knew about Nixon's sabotage of Vietnam peace talks (going into the 1968 election) but decided not to go public with it.

I don't think he was entirely bad and much of what he did was pretty visionary, but I think his presidency deserves a little more scepticism than you're giving it.

Isaac wrote:I think the foreign policy damage he caused was detrimental; particularly in Iran.

God yeah, that was unforgivable. Then again, if you contextualize the whole incident, you'll find that it was Eisenhower who initiated the original coup- does he not deserve some blame?

I wonder who voted Jimmy Carter in the whole though. Reveal yourself, whoever you are.
Gudrun wrote:

"How many times have I told you? Homosexuality is only to be used for revolutionary purposes!"

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImage
JonathanT88
Horny Jonathan of the Homosexual Intifada

First name: Jonathan (duh.)
Likes received: 426

Unread postby BryanC » 7th November, 2016, 1:33 pm

I only picked four

1. FDR

2. George Washington

3.Abraham Lincoln

4. Teddy Roosevelt
Hey my name is Bryan if you wanna get to know me check my introduction thread, send me a pm or hit me up on social media or in the chat :) viewtopic.php?style=6&f=8&t=71284#p2404305

Snapchat: Bryan_Hof
Instagram: LovePeaceBryan
BryanC
Formerly DJ Booty

Likes received: 1

Unread postby Nicholas » 7th November, 2016, 2:39 pm

My 5, in order:

5) James Madison

4) Theodore Roosevelt

3) Abraham Lincoln

2) JFK

1) FDR
Au Revoir
Nicholas
Formerly 'YourWordsAreKnives'

First name: Nicholas

Unread postby ConnorM » 7th November, 2016, 5:09 pm

JonathanT88 wrote:The Civil Rights Act was more significant than the passing of the Thirteenth Amendment? What about his terrible handling of Vietnam, or his undeniable brutishness and corruption? Like I said, he (alongside Nixon) is my favourite US president, but only because I enjoy reading about him. I just don't think you can evaluate someone's presidency based on a single merit, however significant the legislation was.

I consider the passing of the Civil Rights Act to be more important of a political achievement because the Thirteen, Fourteenth, and Fifteenth Amendments were passed with half the country in rebellion. They were more of a military fiat given to the South than a genuine agreement of lawmakers. The Civil Rights Act, on the other hand, was declared when there was no internecine strife, and the government was not constructed almost solely of a single political faction. Further, Johnson, as a southerner and somewhat racist in and of himself, deserves credit for being the one to champion it. Oh, sure, he had lots of shady things going on during his presidency, however, given the outright corruption of other people on this list (Such as Reagan and the whole "selling arms to a sworn enemy state in order to fund right-wing terrorists in South America? I don't remember, I must be going senile." thing) I'm far more prepared to give him credit than to give someone like Reagan a spot on the list.
ConnorM
Sir Conor the Incompetent

Likes received: 97

Unread postby Dessy » 7th November, 2016, 7:42 pm

(Why aren't Clinton or Bush 43 in the polls?)

1.) Thomas Jefferson -
He really got it going imo. He helped pushed in motion the whole Republicans/Democrats thing that will continue to develop over the next century. We also established a successful peaceful transition of power.
As for the actual presidency, he lowered the national debt and kinda undid some things Adams the previous president put in place giving a stronger economy. I think more important, was the Louisiana Purchase which started to expand the United States.

I was kinda torn between Washington and him but I think Jefferson deserve more of a mention.

2.) Abraham Lincoln -
Managed to keep the Union from falling apart in spite of the most contested era of American history. The Emancipation Proclamation was important too as he tried to finish up the Civil War. Of course he was determined to restore the union and so he begins the Reconstruction efforts. He pushed through to outlaw slavery throughout the entire country and this lead to the 13th Amendment and measures that helped former slaves including the Freedman Bureau.

Although personally I'm not sure how much he would've done had he lived. Post-Civil War era was a bit crazy, any president would have a hard time. But who else have an entire statue of himself sitting?

3.) Teddy Roosevelt -
From basic history, Teddy was probably the first president I actually wanted to look up more about. (Not because I thought he was pretty cool in Night at the Museum :shifty: )
Taking the reign from McKinley he was probably not liked nor the first choice anyone wanted. But really his anti-trust measures and regulation is what I think was quite important especially given how things were at the turn of the century. With the Sherman Antitrust Act he attempted to limit some of the power of larger companies. In general he was for "good" competition not completely against taking down businesses completely.
Also his Executive Orders usage was wild. (I should look into what those consist of tbh)
His foreign policy pushed the US further although some things he did was iffy. But the Panama Canal was pretty important.

Overall this dude was probably one of the most "moral" presidents we really had.

4.) Franklin D Roosevelt -
He pushed the New Deal which worked against poverty in order to combat the effects of the Great Depression and the Dust Blow. He led through World World II as well and served an unprecedented 3rd term. But whew Roosevelt battle with the SC was wild. Obama vs Congress was tamed but FDR vs the SC was just a whole nother level. The court denied many of FDR programs during his first term that he was determined to make his way around them. He suggested the "court packing" plan which would basically give him more leverage but luckily it was opposed since it wasn't seen as really fair. But eventually he did appoint 7 justices so now his policies can really start to push through.
With WWII I personally think he performed better than the other WW president, Wilson. He basically did everything the opposite of him. Roosevelt was basically preparing for a war and already supporting allies before entering. (But shit at the Internment camps.)

He has effectively shown us what a working government can do in time of great need.

5.) Lyndon B Johnson -
Taking the reign from the assassination of a president, and his wife right next to him as he is swore in is wild tbh.
He pushed quickly through some stuff including the "war on poverty" as he tried to build on JFK's legacy.
Then he signed the Civil Rights Act which was probably one of the most important pieces of legislation that continue to ripple to this point in time. Now listen the depths of this is quite crazy. Southern folks were having NONE of it and the opposition to it needed to be worked around because this was hardly the first time such an act tried to pass. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 would outlaw discrimination and this include segregation, voting requirement, any system where discrimination would be happening. This act would enhance the power of the 14th and 15th amendment. Ultimately this would basically destroy the Democrats for years to come as they pretty much isolated white voters, especially the Southern ones as Republicans tried to appealed to them (ala the "Southern Strategy"). This also had the effect of getting black folks on board with the democrats now that the racists basically moved to Republicans who they were with before :skull:
And then he passed the Voting Right Act which further pushed civil rights in legislature so now many more minorities could vote, especially for the first time. This isn't a small affair, this is an act that allows millions of people to vote.
This mofo then decided to piss off the racists even further by nominating Marshall, the first black SC Justice.
Another Civil Right Act signed for Equal Housing as well.
Then there was this Education aspect he pushed for that I think was considerable as if increased funding toward Education. And a Gun control measure that probably had one of the most impact ever.

Pre-edit: I didn't really read the thread before writing most of my thoughts but Vietnam was some bullshit (Although not my only issue with him). But be damned if I'm going to ignore the Kennedy-Johnson Civil Rights effort. This shaped so much from that point.

---
Actual Edit: This isn't a top 5 order. I ain't organizing this.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Dessy
Moderator Emeriti

First name: Des
Likes received: 307

Unread postby Vortex » 8th December, 2016, 4:39 am

Tbh anyone who says Andrew Jackson can eat a whole bag o' dicks.
ImageImageImage

Ebsy wrote:Leave it to losers on Twitter to complain about being pandered to. You're supposed to complain when someone panders to others, not to you.
[4:46 AM] Saint Drogo: Also, you've got a strangely appealing asshole. I'll give you that much.
[6:03 AM] Pity: Omg... stop making me sound like a racist idiot
[4:51 AM] Scherzy: jerk off to clinton in the safety of your own bedroom luv
[2:56 PM] Saint Drogo: Literally let me use my cock as a paintbrush and my unborn children as paint.
Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

First name: Da'Neil Boxley
Likes received: 268

Unread postby Burns » 8th December, 2016, 4:53 am

"Greatest" is sort of an odd metric to qualify US presidents. I could make a reasonable list of most influential or effective presidents, but greatest presidents - not so much.

I don't think any of them were particularly great. All of them were at least one of the following: war criminal, plutocrat, slave owner, sexist, xenophobe, or militarist. Some were better or worse than others, but none great.

The societal changes that came along during the 30's or 60's were great, but I would hardly attribute those changes to Roosevelt or LBJ, respectively.
look out, the world's destroying you
Burns
stay weird

Likes received: 16

Unread postby Burns » 8th December, 2016, 4:56 am

JonathanT88 wrote:Also Isaac: Jimmy Carter? He was certainly bad but I'd be interested to hear what you think makes him worse than some of the other candidates . Certainly a better person than president, but what about some of the pre-Civil War failures (Buchanan, Pierce, etc.)?

Yeah I agree. Carter was definitely one of the comparatively better presidents. He wasn't very militaristic, somewhat just with respect to Palestine/Israel, had s pretty green agenda, and on.
look out, the world's destroying you
Burns
stay weird

Likes received: 16

Unread postby Charlie » 8th December, 2016, 8:02 am

I'm a simple man.

Dm's open for attractive members of the bourgeois.
Charlie
Ee aye ee aye oh

Likes received: 58

Unread postby Vortex » 8th December, 2016, 3:14 pm

Charlie wrote:I'm a simple man.

You're a sloppy bottom whore.
ImageImageImage

Ebsy wrote:Leave it to losers on Twitter to complain about being pandered to. You're supposed to complain when someone panders to others, not to you.
[4:46 AM] Saint Drogo: Also, you've got a strangely appealing asshole. I'll give you that much.
[6:03 AM] Pity: Omg... stop making me sound like a racist idiot
[4:51 AM] Scherzy: jerk off to clinton in the safety of your own bedroom luv
[2:56 PM] Saint Drogo: Literally let me use my cock as a paintbrush and my unborn children as paint.
Vortex
Saint Drogo's mistress.

First name: Da'Neil Boxley
Likes received: 268

Unread postby TeenageGaymer » 19th February, 2017, 1:38 pm

Donald John Trump
"The most basic principle to being a free American is the notion is that we as individuals are responsible for our own life and decisions" - Ron Paul
Currently playing: The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker HD, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3d Master Quest, Super Mario Galaxy 2, occasionally Splatoon and Smash
TeenageGaymer

First name: Phoenix
Likes received: 1

Next

Recently active