Is ''being straight'' something you're taught by society?

A forum for the respectful exchange of views on thought-provoking topics, whether sexuality-related or otherwise; please read the guidelines prior to posting.

Forum rules

Welcome to the Intellectual Discussion subforum.

This forum is the place for intellectual discussions, such as philosophical or scientific debates. There are some guidelines that apply specifically to posts in this forum, of which you will be expected to have made yourself aware before participating. They are as follows:

• Intellectually stimulating topics only. If you can't have a deep discussion about something, it does not belong here.
  • If you're going to post, have something to say. When you make a new thread, write the initial post in a way that provides an introduction to the topic and invites further discussion. You could tell us how you feel and why, but always aim for constructive responses that further a discussion about the ideas involved, rather than a simple list of people's views. (Instead of asking "Are you a vegetarian?", discuss some of the arguments involved.) This guideline likewise applies for responses to topics.
  • Write using good English. That means full sentences with proper capitalisation, punctuation, spelling and grammar. No one is perfect, though; this is not an invitation to criticise others for minor mistakes.
  • Be nice. This is a forum for rational discourse, not flame wars. No one is always right. Be respectful of other people's views and accept that we are all entitled to our own.

These guidelines will be enforced by the moderators based on their best judgement, and anyone who does not take them seriously will lose the privilege of posting here. Spammers will be banned from the entire forum.

Do you think we are taught to be straight?

Yes
43%
No
41%
I am not sure
16%

Total votes : 61

Re: Is ''being straight'' something you're taught by society?

Unread postby muddylegs » 30th January, 2016, 1:57 pm

matthewdelrey wrote:In my opinion, we're not 'taught' to be straight, we're just expected to be so. The majority of the population are straight, so it's no surprise that people just expect children to grow up straight.

I agree with this actually. Whilst some areas of society or certain groups may well teach people to be straight (such as conservative or religious groups), society as a whole does not actively attempt to enforce heterosexuality, rather sees it as a standard.
[6:50 PM] Flaggermus: muddy you cant just lynch people
[11:09 AM] TheWoahAlex: you can't lynch everyone!
[9:14 PM] Mestaris: MUDDY YOU CANT LYNCH PEOPLE. LYNCHING PEOPLE IS NOT A SOLUTION
[2:32 PM] Zefare: Muddy, you can't just lynch people!
[2:23 PM] bettasnail: you have a thing for lynching ppl don't you
[7:59 PM] AwesomeCDog: muddyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy not everyone is ready and willing to hurt others
[9:42 PM] matiboi96: Lol rob you can't just order someone to amputate themselves!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

[5:32 PM] Tyler: Fuck me sideways and call me grandma

[7:38 PM] Mestaris: your fetishes are worse than mine

Scherzy wrote:wonderfully creative, awesomely cute, horribly funny, uncomfortably morbid, relatively fucked-up, and outright twisted
muddylegs
Coca-Cola Poster BOY

Likes received: 140

Unread postby Arty » 1st February, 2016, 1:44 pm

I think it's mostly because LGBT acceptance is a relatively new phenomena and so it's still not into many peoples minds that their child can be gay/Lesbian/whatever, even though they may not be necessarily homophobic, since the majority of the time they will probably be straight. I don't think it's an inherent issue to assume your child's straight unless told otherwise since well there's only a small chance that you're child isn't straight. I mean, even liberal estimates put the figure at 1/10, or 10%.

I think newer generations who are born in already accepting society's will have kids and will be less likely to assume their child is straight.
Arty
Fialure

Likes received: 14

Unread postby bottleneck97 » 31st March, 2016, 12:34 pm

I'd like to give my insider's perspective on the matter.
It's been mentioned in previous posts that from a very early age boys are told that one day they'd get married to a girl, have kids, etc etc, a.k.a. the aforementioned heteronormativity. This is like stock trading - say you have two investment choices, and one of them is 90% likely to bring you profit, while the other is 10% likely. The former is an obvious choice, and it would take a very bad stock trader to gamble on that 10%.

This is why parents simply assume their kids are straight - it is a safer bet, knowing the majority of people in the world are. They don't assume it because they are ignorant to the fact that some children will grow up to be gay, or because they do not want gay children. It is just statistics. Of course, this is a best-case scenario. There are homophobic parents, too.

But personally, if (or when) I will have kids of my own, I would hope they will be straight, because all the shit us homos often take from the society (discrimination, bullying, loneliness, for example). This situation will, hopefully, change in our lifetime, but I don't think there will be completely equal treatment of people.

Other than that, the society teaches you to be gay, if anything. As I said before, I was brought up in Russia where it is not only a standard but mostly the only option to be a heterosexual. I did realise my sexuality while still living in Moscow, but I wasn't socially gay (out of the closet and (trying to be :wtc: ) sexually active) until I moved to Switzerland where I didn't hear that being a homosexual is wrong every day. If I stayed to live in Russia, it would probably be a whole different story.
Basically, I am a Pineapple. Nice to meet you!
bottleneck97

First name: Ivan
Likes received: 2

Unread postby Kyousuke » 11th June, 2016, 9:39 am

This is ridiculous, i can't believe so many people voted yes, being straight is definitely not taught by society, just look at animals. Most animals don't get taught anything let alone taught to be straight and yet most of them are straight. It's just biology and natural instinct to make babies and carry on the human race. SMH :shifty:
Kyousuke

Unread postby Ethán » 11th June, 2016, 9:46 am

Kyousuke wrote:This is ridiculous, i can't believe so many people voted yes, being straight is definitely not taught by society, just look at animals. Most animals don't get taught anything let alone taught to be straight and yet most of them are straight. It's just biology and natural instinct to make babies and carry on the human race. SMH :shifty:

Interesting bump on this thread for your first post :lol: . Anyways welcome to the forum! I highly recommend you fill out this form and make an introduction thread so that we can get to know you!
Twink enthusiast
Ethán
Is shaking

First name: Ethan
Likes received: 637

Unread postby M4DNESS » 4th February, 2017, 5:45 am

Gonna bump this cause why not. Already been a year since I made this post? Rip...
M4DNESS
Eric Saade Impersonator. I will be Popular.

First name: Alex
Likes received: 9

Unread postby Turn » 4th February, 2017, 5:48 am

not in all instances, no
Image/Image
Turn
Faceless Cougar

Likes received: 2

Unread postby boiii » 5th February, 2017, 2:16 pm

M4DNESS wrote:I have been thinking and I am not saying this is true, but is heterosexuality a norm we are being taught/encouraged to follow since birth?

Society has this need to base ''normal'' on something and therefore many believe that heterosexuality is the norm because of the reproductive system and religion. From a very young age we are taught that a man and a woman fall in love, they get married and they have children. As soon as we are born we are assumed to be straight and being treated as such by our parents and everyone else around us. But how many times have we seen and heard people who always saw themselves as straight, suddenly catch feelings for the same sex? This is when straight people often get confused and sometimes proceed to seek help because this is not what they grew up with.

This is just a thought of mine and I would like to know what other people think. Maybe I am wrong maybe I am not. Again, I am not saying this is true, it's just something I have been thinking of lately and would like to hear others opinions on the matter.

euhm, Ok I didn't read the last 4 pages, but scientists know why people and other animals are straight. Even before society the most people were.
Image Image

ImageImage

Winner of the best friendship award together with Kaspar ^.^ and also that other one we don't talk about.
boiii
oh shit waddup

First name: Kamiel
Likes received: 187

Unread postby Togetik » 6th February, 2017, 12:48 am

boiii wrote:euhm, Ok I didn't read the last 4 pages, but scientists know why people and other animals are straight. Even before society the most people were.

I'd say the % rate in humans has probably been the same for the majority of our existence as a species.

Considering homosexual behaviour in animals (Which... different? Animals have no concept of sexuality nor the complexities of it that humans express, so it's not easy to compare a flamingo who only pairs up with members of the same sex with a gay human) is present in just about every species it's a quirk of life that must've been around a long, long time
Togetik

Likes received: 79

Unread postby AlexAkri » 9th February, 2017, 11:24 pm

No one is taught to be straight. It's obviously encouraged within society but you are unable to change a persons sexuality. People are only taught to discriminate against homosexuals but that has nothing to do with influencing people out of who the are. It is something that is determined at birth. I have lived all my life with people talking down the gay community, and as much as I wanted to change, it's almost impossible for someone to change the gender you like. And if someone does decide to try and fit in with the rest, then they're only throwing away a part of who they are.
AlexAkri

First name: Alexander
Likes received: 1

Previous

Recently active