Is ''being straight'' something you're taught by society?

A forum for the respectful exchange of views on thought-provoking topics, whether sexuality-related or otherwise; please read the guidelines prior to posting.

Forum rules

Welcome to the Intellectual Discussion subforum.

This forum is the place for intellectual discussions, such as philosophical or scientific debates. There are some guidelines that apply specifically to posts in this forum, of which you will be expected to have made yourself aware before participating. They are as follows:

• Intellectually stimulating topics only. If you can't have a deep discussion about something, it does not belong here.
  • If you're going to post, have something to say. When you make a new thread, write the initial post in a way that provides an introduction to the topic and invites further discussion. You could tell us how you feel and why, but always aim for constructive responses that further a discussion about the ideas involved, rather than a simple list of people's views. (Instead of asking "Are you a vegetarian?", discuss some of the arguments involved.) This guideline likewise applies for responses to topics.
  • Write using good English. That means full sentences with proper capitalisation, punctuation, spelling and grammar. No one is perfect, though; this is not an invitation to criticise others for minor mistakes.
  • Be nice. This is a forum for rational discourse, not flame wars. No one is always right. Be respectful of other people's views and accept that we are all entitled to our own.

These guidelines will be enforced by the moderators based on their best judgement, and anyone who does not take them seriously will lose the privilege of posting here. Spammers will be banned from the entire forum.

Do you think we are taught to be straight?

Yes
43%
No
41%
I am not sure
16%

Total votes : 61

Re: Is ''being straight'' something you're taught by society?

Unread postby muddylegs » 15th January, 2016, 5:56 pm

jr1999 wrote:
muddylegs wrote:
jr1999 wrote:
thaprot wrote:
jr1999 wrote:How do we know childhood experiences dont contribute to homosexuality?

What makes you think that they do?

Our experiences during childhood contribute to alot of our habits preferences and other things

Childhood experiences don't contribute towards race, gender, sex... why should they be seen as attributes of sexuality?

Its a mental state similar to how experience in war causes ptsd

Sexuality is not comparable to mental illness and trauma, please stop.
muddylegs
Coca-Cola Poster BOY

Likes received: 140

Unread postby WWE Superstar » 15th January, 2016, 5:57 pm

muddylegs wrote:
jr1999 wrote:
muddylegs wrote:
jr1999 wrote:
thaprot wrote:
jr1999 wrote:How do we know childhood experiences dont contribute to homosexuality?

Our experiences during childhood contribute to alot of our habits preferences and other things

Childhood experiences don't contribute towards race, gender, sex... why should they be seen as attributes of sexuality?

Well thats what I've been told
WWE Superstar

Unread postby thaprot » 15th January, 2016, 5:58 pm

shoki wrote:
thaprot wrote:
Cobalt wrote:I actually believe that heteronormativity in society is the reason why so many people are straight.

Bisexual or homosexual inclinations which would be innocuous when free some such a society are suppressed by the need to be straight to please society, to be like what's displayed in the media, etc. If children were raised in an environment free from societal stigmas and heteronormativity, and educated properly about sex and sexual orientation, I firmly believe that there would not be as many straight people as there are now.

Not that I'm saying heterosexuals are living a lie, or anything. That's the identity that they've developed over the course of their life, which is influenced by heteronormativity in society and potential pressure from conservative family members.

I think that's largely nonsense, to be totally honest, based far too much on supposition.

Homosexuality is exhibited in huge amounts of species across the animal kingdom. Yet in most of these it's the minority that display homosexual behaviour, despite existing without the societal stigmas described. I don't see why homosapiens should be any different.

If I recall correctly roughly 90% of giraffe sex (attempted or successful) is homosexual. Which is pretty cool

Whilst giraffes exhibit a lot more homosexual behaviour than most species, a figure of 90% is definitely exaggerated. Sorry.
My inbox is always open, feel free to PM me if you need a friendly face, some advice or just fancy a chat! :)

Similarly, if you need any moddy stuff done and nobody is online, PMs to me send a direct email to my phone so I'll do my best to help ASAP.

Jacketh wrote:Oh, damn. Ignore me. Listen to Josh.
thaprot
taproot the grumpy cat

First name: Josh
Likes received: 4

Unread postby thaprot » 15th January, 2016, 5:59 pm

jr1999 wrote:Well thats what I've been told

By whom?
My inbox is always open, feel free to PM me if you need a friendly face, some advice or just fancy a chat! :)

Similarly, if you need any moddy stuff done and nobody is online, PMs to me send a direct email to my phone so I'll do my best to help ASAP.

thaprot
taproot the grumpy cat

Unread postby WWE Superstar » 15th January, 2016, 6:00 pm

thaprot wrote:

By whom?

By people I know and trust, so its true
WWE Superstar

Unread postby Circles » 15th January, 2016, 6:03 pm

:rip: :rip: :rip: :rip: :rip: :rip: :rip: :rip:
ImageImageImageImageoooo
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Circles
Twinkerbell

First name: Marshall
Likes received: 55

Unread postby Sullivan » 15th January, 2016, 6:04 pm

I take it you're from a family with a less than positive opinion of homosexuality.
Sullivan
Member.

Likes received: 2

Unread postby thaprot » 15th January, 2016, 6:05 pm

jr1999 wrote:
thaprot wrote:

By whom?

You believe everything certain people tell you and are unable to form your own opinion? That's interesting.

Whilst I don't know for certain whether homosexuality is a result genetic or environmental factors, it is certainly a natural phenomenon and not one which people choose. I certainly didn't choose it and I had what is stereotypically the idealistic family life growing up. I wouldn't be able to put my finger on anything that could trigger homosexuality, and my brother who is less than 2 years older with exactly the same upbringing as me is married to a woman. So I guess that leaves the theory holding little weight.

thaprot
taproot the grumpy cat

Unread postby muddylegs » 15th January, 2016, 6:05 pm

jr1999 wrote:
thaprot wrote:

By whom?

People knew and trusted Hitler, that didn't make Aryans the master race. People know and trust the KKK, doesn't make it justifiable to lynch black people.

Truth is based on far more than your comfort zone.
muddylegs
Coca-Cola Poster BOY

Likes received: 140

Unread postby WWE Superstar » 15th January, 2016, 6:36 pm

Sullivan wrote:I take it you're from a family with a less than positive opinion of homosexuality.

Yes but that has nothing to do with me
WWE Superstar

Unread postby Callum » 15th January, 2016, 6:37 pm

jr1999 wrote:
Sullivan wrote:I take it you're from a family with a less than positive opinion of homosexuality.

But it has probably influenced your opinion on this subject.
Last edited by Callum on 15th January, 2016, 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Callum
We Could Be Heroes

First name: Callum

Unread postby Circles » 15th January, 2016, 6:39 pm

jr1999 wrote:

But don't experiences during childhood affect who we are?

jr1999 wrote:
thaprot wrote:

ImageImageImageImageoooo
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Circles
Twinkerbell

First name: Marshall
Likes received: 55

Unread postby WWE Superstar » 15th January, 2016, 6:40 pm

Circles wrote:
jr1999 wrote:

But don't experiences during childhood affect who we are?

jr1999 wrote:
thaprot wrote:

Yes...but
WWE Superstar

Unread postby Dessy » 15th January, 2016, 7:51 pm

jr1999 wrote:
muddylegs wrote:
jr1999 wrote:
muddylegs wrote:
jr1999 wrote:
thaprot wrote:

Okay. Then what childhood factors contribute to homosexuality being developed?
ImageImage
ImageImage

Dessy
Moderator Emeriti

First name: Des
Likes received: 306

Unread postby shoki » 15th January, 2016, 7:56 pm

thaprot wrote:
shoki wrote:
thaprot wrote:
Cobalt wrote:I actually believe that heteronormativity in society is the reason why so many people are straight.

Bisexual or homosexual inclinations which would be innocuous when free some such a society are suppressed by the need to be straight to please society, to be like what's displayed in the media, etc. If children were raised in an environment free from societal stigmas and heteronormativity, and educated properly about sex and sexual orientation, I firmly believe that there would not be as many straight people as there are now.

Not that I'm saying heterosexuals are living a lie, or anything. That's the identity that they've developed over the course of their life, which is influenced by heteronormativity in society and potential pressure from conservative family members.

I think that's largely nonsense, to be totally honest, based far too much on supposition.

Homosexuality is exhibited in huge amounts of species across the animal kingdom. Yet in most of these it's the minority that display homosexual behaviour, despite existing without the societal stigmas described. I don't see why homosapiens should be any different.

If I recall correctly roughly 90% of giraffe sex (attempted or successful) is homosexual. Which is pretty cool

Whilst giraffes exhibit a lot more homosexual behaviour than most species, a figure of 90% is definitely exaggerated. Sorry.

Certainly more frequent than heterosexual, I'll say that much.
Holy shit look at that fuckin hot mess.
shoki
stupid meanie doodoo head

Unread postby WWE Superstar » 15th January, 2016, 8:11 pm

[vine][/vine]
JudgeDes wrote:
jr1999 wrote:
muddylegs wrote:
jr1999 wrote:
muddylegs wrote:
jr1999 wrote:
thaprot wrote:

Uhhhh Nothing

Okay. Then what childhood factors contribute to homosexuality being developed?
WWE Superstar

Unread postby Mawd » 15th January, 2016, 9:06 pm

Never mind that western psychology and neuroscience hasn't classed homosexuality as a medical illness for at least 40 years.
Never mind that scientists and sociologists do make empirical research into homosexuality in order to understand it (ie not 'solve' it) and the idea that homosexuality is caused by some kind of childhood trauma is debunked by the kind of research you say you're asking for.

Sorry kid but your family are full of shit when it comes to this subject.
Probably when it comes to anything regarding homosexuality.
I suppose given this insane premise it wouldn't take much for you or your family to believe that after taking meth off someone's butt and being fisted, gay men then go out and traumatise young children in the hope of making more homosexuals to fuck in future. Therefore all gay men are pedophiles.

If people want a less snarky post I made one on the first page.
Mawd
Appearing to Disappear; Community Ambassador

First name: Max
Likes received: 111

Unread postby Burns » 15th January, 2016, 9:13 pm

I heard that having an overbearing father and a distant mother can account for one's heterosexuality. Seriously though, I think we are all to an extent influenced by a very hetero-normative culture, but that's about as high as the heterosexuality learning curve arcs.
look out, the world's destroying you
Burns
stay weird

Likes received: 16

Unread postby Ren » 18th January, 2016, 10:19 am

I think it may be that we are conditioned to be straight, but I do not think it is anything that anyone does intentionally. It also may not be such a bad thing. I mean, if there is nothing wrong with being homosexual, then it stands to reason that there can be nothing wrong with being heterosexual either. Perhaps a few people would have been gay if not for the influence of society, but they ended up marrying someone of the opposite sex instead. Are they happy enough? Could they be happy if they chose to be? I mean, circumstances are simply never going to be ideal in anyone's life. Sometimes it makes more sense to just choose to love what you already have.

I guess what i am trying to get at is, a lot of straight people may not even realize that they were influenced to be straight, and trying to change at a late stage in their life could cause them more harm than good.

We need to reproduce to survive as a species. Granted, I do not think people would stop reproducing if society suddenly stopped influencing orientation, but I just mean that they are not exactly hurting mankind as a whole.

Don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for anyone that may feel the need to hide their orientation because of outside influences. I am one of those people. Everything I said above was in reference to people that believe they are straight, when they might not have been under other circumstances.
Ren
Ambassador for Womankind

First name: Renny
Likes received: 1

Unread postby matthewdelrey » 30th January, 2016, 1:38 pm

In my opinion, we're not 'taught' to be straight, we're just expected to be so. The majority of the population are straight, so it's no surprise that people just expect children to grow up straight.
matthewdelrey

PreviousNext

Recently active